PDA

View Full Version : Knife storage and display.

hunter63
08-10-2010, 07:16 PM
O.K. guys I running into a problem here, getting too many knives.
True some are "deployed" in to various bags, kits, BOB's, hunting clothes and one or two out for display.

How do you store yours, or display?......I know that a carbon blade left in a sheath is asking for trouble.

Just curious..............

canid
08-10-2010, 07:28 PM
if it is a nice collectible i would not store it in a sheath, but otherwise, unless the ambient humidity is high it's never really been a problem for me if i'm not storing it long term.

most of my knives spend weeks at a time in their sheaths without even being looked at. i just keep them in a dry place [for the most part] and check on them from time to time, cleaning and oiling them if needed.

one strong recommendation i have for oiling a knife is to degrease it first. oiling may otherwise just spread moisture or skin oil around.

i make a few display stands, but mostly for knives i'm giving away. i've thought about a 'knife tree', with slots to insert the tips of knives for displaying several at once. maybe i'll give it a shot soon.

Winter
08-10-2010, 08:33 PM
I took a cheap particle board shelving unit and replaced the back with felt covered peg board.

It works. I occasionally get some discoloration where a blade touches the felt.

Most of these are retired Army knives, toys, or field knives waiting for their turn on my ruck/belt.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/w6f7/knives.jpg

canid
08-10-2010, 08:40 PM
i dig the seax.

hunter63
08-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Winter, thats an idea, thanks, I like that.

Winter
08-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks Canid. That's my third knife. L6, cocobolo, and copper. I ground the cocobolo without a mask and was sick for a month.

Hunter, it's a pain in the but to set the pegs through the felt. It's worth your time to sharpen the pegs. Watch out for drywall damage. Just keep the pegboard out from the wall a bit.

Batch
08-10-2010, 09:51 PM
My knives are stowed in packs, tied to my desk, stored in those side door compartments in my truck, hanging from my review mirror, stuck in certain storage boxes and stacked with the sharpening stuff. Oh, then the stuff in the wood thingy...

My name is Batch and I am an addict...:innocent:

crashdive123
08-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Knives? What Knives?:innocent:

Camp10
08-11-2010, 06:34 PM
The ones that mean quite a bit to me live in the gun cabinet, the rest are here, there and everywhere. Some in packs, others at camp and a a few tucked here and there. I am collecting really curly maple for a nice case but am still a few pieces short of what I need to build it. I plan to use plastic rods to hold the knives in place in the new case.

Rick
08-11-2010, 06:36 PM
am still a few pieces short

Story of my life. A few bricks shy, an elevator that doesn't go to the top, a dim bulb, a few pieces short. Sad. Really sad.

Camp10
08-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Story of my life. A few bricks shy, an elevator that doesn't go to the top, a dim bulb, a few pieces short. Sad. Really sad.

Yeah me too but it's free entertainment for those that love me.:innocent:

hunter63
08-11-2010, 07:21 PM

Ride the short bus to school...........

Sarge47
08-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Well, I guess you could always store some over here. :innocent:

Winter, I see my Buck General on your peg-board there; you know Buck quit making those, right? :cool2:

Rick
08-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Hunter, they wouldn't let me on the short bus. It was so bad they gave me a go cart.

Erratus Animus
08-11-2010, 11:33 PM

What sarge said if he runs out of room that is and for the record could you help me out here, I am having trouble understanding what too many knives means? I mean I did not know that you could have too many:sailor:

Camp10
08-12-2010, 05:41 AM
I am having trouble understanding what too many knives means?

Me too but I am starting to understand what running out of room to put them in means..:innocent:

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad337/lewisknives/100_0280.jpg

hunter63
08-12-2010, 10:18 AM
What sarge said if he runs out of room that is and for the record could you help me out here, I am having trouble understanding what too many knives means? I mean I did not know that you could have too many:sailor:

LOL, Ya got me, bad choice for "man words".

Actually I don't what it means myself, this is a DW term.
She says the same thing about tools, trucks, trailers, other assets of various calibers...........

Maybe having to do with them sitting on the shelves, work benches, in drawers, bags, boxes, vehicles, coats, packs, pockets...................

C-10, Great idea.....as long as the knives get ther first.

Winter
08-12-2010, 03:47 PM

Winter, I see my Buck General on your peg-board there; you know Buck quit making those, right? :cool2:

Damn, too bad I sent that one to a bro in Afghanistan.