PDA

View Full Version : Hunters

tater03
02-08-2007, 12:31 PM
So does anyone on the forum go hunting? If so what do you hunt for? My husband goes out deer hunting. Don't think I could get into this part of his hunting but he really seems to enjoy it. And it does help out food wise.

mamab
02-08-2007, 12:49 PM
I've gone out a time or two with my husband while he was hunting deer. He took a gun, I took a camera. That's the only kind of hunting I want to do. He generally doesn't have much luck with deer, but I think he really just goes to be outside in nature.

tater03
02-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I have went out with my husband and find it extremely boring myself. I took my book the last time I went with him. Needless to say I don't go a whole lot with him.

Minwaabi
02-10-2007, 12:11 AM
I hunt, when I have time. I generally go for small game because I know how to process them completely all by myself. However, I've been considering going for deer or maybe turkey this fall.

tater03
02-11-2007, 09:16 PM
My husband learned how to butcher and package all his own deer that he gets. Saves alot of money when you can do it yourself. He also learned how to make deer jerkey this year. It was actually really good.

Minwaabi
02-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Does he do anything with the skin? I have always wondered how to tan/cure a skin of that size. I'm thinking of taking a class in July that shows how to do a totally natural brain curing process.

taiarain
02-13-2007, 11:32 AM
I would if I needed to, but I don't. I also don't like venison which puts deer hunting out of the question.

One thing I would like to do is eventually get a little bit of livestock so I wouldn't be limited by hunting seasons anyway.

mamab
02-13-2007, 01:42 PM
My husband has gotten a few skins from my brother-in-law so he can learn how to do tanning. The skins had really big holes in them. So, at least if doesn't do such a good job on these, it won't be that much of a loss. He really wants to be able to get a big enough skin to be able to make a drum. We'll see. ;)

vicki2
02-13-2007, 09:20 PM
I grew up hunting with my father, and I still hunt both deer and birds. I never got into the processing of deer because it was too easy to take it in and have it packaged, but as a kid I had to learn how to field dress one and I still do that part. Birds are pretty easy after that LOL.

arppt01
02-18-2007, 12:44 PM
I have preferred to watch the wild life from close and for long time and that is the reson I haven't gone out for hunting.

WiccanSpirit
02-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Hello everyone! I love hunting! I started at an early age. My dad said that even if i am a girl i had to learn how to handle a gun and how to take care of myself if i ever got stuck in the bush. (already happend! lol boy i have some stories!!;)) Anyway, i love to hunt partridge, moose, bear. Doesn't matter, as long as you can eat it, i am there! lol :)

DustyRose
03-02-2007, 05:05 AM
Tanning is pretty easy by many methods.

This link is probably the best I have seen for tanning... http://www.manataka.org/page27.html

While the site may sound a little preachy at first...I actually grew up just outside an Indian Rez, and I was taught these same values by my friends and family...including learning to use every part of an animal that you can!

vicki2
03-02-2007, 11:23 AM
We've never tanned skins but usually give them to people who do. One of the lessons I was taught as a child was to not hunt unless you were going to use the meat for food, and I still adhere to that. I've sat plenty of nights preparing pheasants for the freezer!

mamab
03-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the link, Dusty Rose. I'll make sure my husband reads and understands before he goes headlong into it. LOL

I'm not worried about the "preachy" stuff. We've recently found out we're part Cherokee, so we're really trying to learn the ancient ways anyhow. This will be a good place to start, I think.

tater03
03-02-2007, 04:30 PM
We have never tanned the skins either. Thanks for the link I will have to show it to my husband. He would be interested in knowing how to do something like this.

Bowcatz
03-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Deer and small game hunter. Turtle trapper. Fisherwoman. Crawdad catcher. If we had oysters around here, I would be an oyster diver, too.

Told a good recipe for wild turkey breast which can be kind of dry in texture and taste at times. In a wok or skillet, melt some butter and add fresh minced garlic bits (enough for your taste buds to be happy.) When the butter has melted, stir the garlic bits to brown them. Add cubed wild turkey breast and cook till done. Stir often. Add a little water as needed to keep it from sticking to the pan and keep the cubed meat moist. Serve over steaming hot rice. Add favorite spices and seasonings, too. I would use a little sea salt which tastes incredibly better than regular table salt. You can add a quarter cup of water to the drippings when you are done cooking, a tablespoon of rouge (browned flour) as a thickener, your favorite spices or seasonings, and make a dandy gravy to pour over the fine meal waiting for you. I mix my flour and water thoroughly before adding it to the hot pan so it will simmer and thicken. Blends better and makes for a smoother gravy. All of this can be done over a campfire, too.

Somebody needs to start a simple, but tasty recipe thread. Something we can cook over a campfire or in an earth oven.

vicki2
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
I do something similar but rather than rice, I throw in a bag of fresh spinach and wilt it down. It's great with the turkey!

Bowcatz
03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I love spinach raw and cooked with eggs, but with the recent salmonella scare, I'm going to have to wait and grow my own this year. I wonder if I could grow it in the wild or would the deer eat it like they do turnips?

Sleazy_E
04-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I was raised in a family that hunts.... every male in my family hunts small game and most of us hunt deer... I am the only one that also hunts turkey and mushrooms and wild plants (Ginsing and Bloodroot) for some extra cash.

the edge
04-08-2007, 08:40 PM
i have never but i always want to try it

bear
04-13-2007, 10:08 AM
I duck and deer hunt.

moses1moses
04-24-2007, 03:01 PM
i hunt everyhting i can get a permit to kill, and mostly in N. america, sometime south

marberry
05-30-2007, 04:37 PM
i hunt small - Medium game with a customized 1500 fps (thats half as fast as an M16 and faster then sound) pellet rifle , i usually set traps and snares though , theyr much funner and easier when u dont feel like lying flat for hours w8ing for a wild turkey to pass by lol

FVR
05-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I hunt deer and hogs with a primitive bow and arrows when I get the chance. Few years back killed a nice hog with the gear.

I have two 4 year olds and have not ventured into the woods much the last two years. Next fall.

I've taken with prim. bow and arrow, hogs, rabbits, squirrels, and muskrats.

Have missed many deer and a few turkeys. Wife put the hex on me years ago. Going to break it soon.

I do believe in using the whole animal. Tan the skin with the brains, leg bones get used for tools, I have friends who hunt modern and supply me with deer legs for sinew and skins for rawhide. Have made a few hogskin quivers with skins. Hog skins are tough to tan.

No, I don't eat squirrel brains, gross.

WildGoth
08-09-2007, 11:06 AM
i just got my hunting liscense like a week ago me and my dad are going to take a trip out i plan on hunting turkey and deer

ryaninmichigan
08-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I grew up with no other option then to hunt. I have killed jst about everything you can leagaly kill in Michigan, Also Leaks, asparigous, and morels.

trax
08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I've hunted for years, moose, dear, caribou, elk. Small game including grouse, rabbit, ptarmigan, I've trapped as well and fish regularly. I use everything off the animal that I can, including hides. I don't hunt bears, wolves, or eagles and hawks.

Sarge47
08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm really tough on mosquitos, flies, & cock roaches!:rolleyes:

trax
08-09-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm really tough on mosquitos, flies, & cock roaches!:rolleyes:

dressing them out and skinning them must be a pain, bro!:)

wareagle69
08-09-2007, 06:32 PM
yo trax i'm glad that you do not hunt eagles.
other than that i only hunt out of the neccesity to learn.

FVR
08-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Need to hang a stand this weekend. Found a double funnel by a stream.

Hog season starts in two weeks. May pull out the frontloader and see if I can get a nice small tender one.

wareagle69
08-09-2007, 09:49 PM
i was taking a leak out on manouvers on day at benning when this small dog come running thru the bush out in the middle of nowhere turn out to be a deer, sure surprised me.

FVR
08-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Yeh, they make the deer small down here. There are a few counties that have big ones, mostly because they are a mix of stocked deer from out west many, many years ago.

Hey, but nowdays you don't hunt deer that are natural. You join a club or lease, invest all that money, make fields and use special foods and minerals to make the deer and antlers grow real big, then you harvest them like corn. But only shoot the trophy deer as we need to feed our ego's.

I'm just being an arsehole.

Yeh, don't belong to clubs or leases. Just hunt what nature puts out there.

wareagle69
08-09-2007, 09:57 PM
are you close to the dahlonega mtns

FVR
08-09-2007, 10:00 PM
About 40 min. west. I do work up that way a few times a month.

Bunch of gunjy Rangers up there. They have the Ranger run every year through Dawsonville.

wareagle69
08-09-2007, 10:04 PM
only good part of that phase was the infamous blueberry pancakes, never seen a place where i was wearing long johns in th am and sweating me arse off by noon and i lived in the deesert for a while, even texas wasn't that bad

FVR
08-09-2007, 10:10 PM
I've known a few Rangers who went through training there.

Sounds like So. Cal, heater at night and AC during the day.

At 29 Stumps, man, 110 plus during the day and at night, freeze.

troutndeer
08-10-2007, 01:05 AM
I hunt deer for my main meat source, I suplement w/dove, turkey, and quail I also hunt. I fish mainly catch and release but do keep some for the table. I dont hunt bear because I dont much care for the taste. I am working on a smokehouse now so I can do everything myself. If you dont process your own game I STRONGLY recomend you do so. I do go back to colorado to hunt elk but that is more of a vacation/food hunt. I would like to ty for a moose though!

FVR
08-10-2007, 08:31 PM
You mean you can get others to butcher your critters? Hmmmm, that could catch on.

wareagle69
08-10-2007, 08:42 PM
yeah i know about so cal been to the ntc their prepping for desert storm.

i've eaten allot of elk back in arizona tastes great but got nothing on moose father in law has freezer stuffed full of meat he"s a lttle senile so i sneak out what i can so it does not go to waste some stuff is four and five yrs old but still goo eatn

tarheelfan
08-11-2007, 01:17 AM
I've hunted small game with a .22 rifle and a .410 shot for the past few yrs...mostly squirrel with my dogs running around acting like they know how to hunt (boxer,lab)...lol...other than squirrel i've just shot a few pests like water snake and armadillo around my house. anyone else experience armadillo??

nell67
08-11-2007, 07:49 AM
a law enforcement officer shot at a snake tree and hit and killed a 5 yo boy this week,of course they were the first on the scene when it was reported but the guy did not even acknowledge that it was nor may have been him who shot the child. So very sad.

Strider
08-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I don't really care for hunting with a gun... if I'm camping for a long time, I usually have my bow and arrow... I have caught rabbits, squirrels (not much...), mice, weasels, fish... all of the little things... I wouldn't like to kill a deer or anything because all that meat would rot too quickly and it takes a while to clean... I stick to the small easy animals... :)