PDA

View Full Version : Knife/Survival Knife Info.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

eagle78
03-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Hello Everyone,

I too have a survival kit problem. I have a master list that would probably fit into a small day pack. Lately though I have been developing a kit in a coffee can. I can describe it later if anyone is interested but on to my problem. It is what type of knife/tool should I put in the kit. I own a leatherman Wave that I carry all the time (even to church) and I have both wenger and victornx SAK(Both carry tidentical gear. Large lock blade, wood saw, philips and flathead drivers, awl). What are some of your opinions out there? Folding vs fixed? Multi tool (leatherman) vs Knife (SAK)?

thinkfree3
04-07-2007, 09:34 AM
just a good pocketknife would work. Serrated blade is better for survial in my opinion because it last longer before getting dull.

BSM
04-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Bring something to sharpen your knife. Also a fixed knife is less likely to fall apart on you than a pocket knife. At the same time, a pocket knife has quite a few more functions than a simple survival knife does. Personally, I carry a pocket knife and a bic lighter all the time, and when I know I'm going out in the woods, I bring a 10'' survival knife I bought in an army surplus store, a sharpening stone, and a bic lighter.
BSM

kid
04-25-2007, 08:08 PM
what a really good survival knife is its the aitor jungle king II. but it is hard to find so go to knifesearch.com and look unter sharpeners for the Sper-X- Survivor. which is the same thing but way cheaper and easyer to find.

eminitial
04-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Recently I purchased a knife from Maxam. I haven't gotten it yet, so I'm still waiting for it. Here's the knife:
http://www.ckbproducts.com/product_info.php/cPath/246_258/products_id/1327
Great website btw.

Anywho, I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were. Good knife? Bad knife?

While we're on the subject, I also would like to know what you all look for in a good knife.

LarryB
04-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Ya'll might think I'm a little weird but I like knives. :) I wear a 40 year old CASE 223-5 Belt knife on my belt, a SAK in my right pocket, a Buck lock-back Folder, in my BOB and a few other jack knives and other lock-backs in some of my other bags (day pak, BikeBag, FannyPak etc.) You can NEVER have too many sharp blades. I use an ignition file and a small case hardened, open end wrench, as my sharpener and steel, to keep ALL my blades shaving sharp!

I've also got one of the small Leatherman, multi-tools which is pretty handy at times too. It of course is worn on my ever present belt.

lb

Yooper14
04-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I think the best survival knife is a fixed blade, about 4 1/2". If you're in a survival situation, you don't need a philips screwdriver and a pair of scissors...you need a blade that will handle all you can throw at it. I really like the Swiss Mora knives. They are super durable, keep a great edge, and are cheap. #1 survival knife, in my humble opinion!

lovegettinlost
04-30-2007, 08:40 PM
The one you are looking at looks nice, but not a tactical survival knife, i collect knives of all kinds, prices, and sorts. It looks like a sweet show knife but a little too showing for very practical purposes, if you want agood longer practical knife then I'd go with one from SOG, or www.approvedgasmask.com makes extremely tougha nd practical knives, well worth the price, hope this helps.

bear
05-01-2007, 09:43 AM
I am sold on the Knives of Alaska brand knives. I don't think you could wear one of these knives out. They keep an edge better than any knife that I have ever owned. They are also the knife of choice for the United States Air Force. There pilots go through alot of survival training and this is the brand they carry. bear

moses1moses
05-01-2007, 01:50 PM
ontario cutlery, makes a good knife, i have kabar and okc3 they are like $50-100 depending on model, but they are still sharp and havent broken,
buck and gerber make bad knives ive broken the tips off many and snapped more than one on half, if u need an all around great heavy duty knife but a kabar,

lovegettinlost
05-01-2007, 10:03 PM
I will agree about Gerber knives but for Buck, I have to respectfully disagree. I use knives, a lot, and very hard, I few months ago I bought a folding tactical knife from Buck, half straight, half serrated edge. I work ina greenhouse, and use it for everything, the thing that impressed me the msot, was, any one who knows knives should agree with this, but if you use a knife with dirt, mud, sand, it will dull extremly fast, but I has happily surprised after a little over 8 months of using this particular knife I stil haven't sharpened it, it is very strong, very sharp, adn hte serrated edge can cut virutally anything, for me it has worked on, plastic, wood, thick papers, harness straps, cloth, rubber, hardened plastic (nalgene bottle type plastic), an dI had to use it ona copper pipe once nd it did the trick nicely. I have several Buck's and they haven't failed me yet, but I defidnalty recommend the one I have, I'll try to put up model soon.

bear
05-04-2007, 11:45 AM
I think the best survival knife is a fixed blade, about 4 1/2". If you're in a survival situation, you don't need a philips screwdriver and a pair of scissors...you need a blade that will handle all you can throw at it.

Very good point. I agree with you.

kufitar
05-04-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm Scandinavian so I think I'm bias when it comes to knives! :o I have tired all type of knives in my life and can honestly say the Scadis are the best for me! They are made by people who use knives in extreme environment and know how dangerous it could be to have a lousy tool with you. "Puukko" knives are simple, practical and can even take abuse. I also like the sheaths they come with. The sheath holds almost the whole knife and it's light to carry.

Good information about those can be found here...

Finnish Puukko Knives (http://www.puukkoknife.com)

FVR
05-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Knives are basically up to pers. preference. Some like them fancy, some like them bowie style and then there are the military styles.

I've gone through the phases like most. The big bowie was very attractive but just heavy and really a pain to use. Never been much on the fancy knives and most military styles are for killing rather than survival.

In the USMC many Marines I was with carried the Gerber dagger style, awsome knife but in the jungle it was worthless. Then there were the officers who carried the larger bowies, showoffs. I stuck to the good ol Kabar MKII. The knife blade was packerized and was a bit more flexible than the standard black finished brittle blades.

Nowdays I always carry a Gerber folder with the serrated about 2" back of the blade folder. Nice grip, on the belt will usually find the new model Kabar. Unless I'm doing a period trek then it's this old Union cutlery folder and a slightly larger steak knife made from an old file.

Either way, there is always a large palm piece of flint and a small hooked piece of flint that works much better than knives for skinning game.

Just my buck two fifty.

WildGoth
05-14-2007, 09:17 PM
all the info i have got from all of you has helped alot so i know you guys can help i'm thinking about buying a new knife any suggestions on what to avoid or get

wolf
05-15-2007, 11:25 AM
What are you going to use it for? if survival then get a good reliable blade maybe with a saw on the back GET CARBON STEEL preferably with full tang. cold steel is a good company http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-bushman.html VERY GOOD BLADE HERE <-- iwould recommend it if you dont have anything else you were already going to get.

WildGoth
05-15-2007, 07:45 PM
it was a good site but not many choices in the way of survival knifes

wolf
05-16-2007, 12:49 PM
try this one maybe http://www.trueswords.com/knives-survival-c-58_60.html

WildGoth
05-16-2007, 04:45 PM
i actully have that website bookmarked lol and i found a good knife it is a buck my dad still has his he got it in the navy he has had it for 15 years i went with your suggestion wolf and got a saw on the blade

Woodland
05-28-2007, 10:23 AM
just a good pocketknife would work. Serrated blade is better for survial in my opinion because it last longer before getting dull.

I carry a an old Spyderco Delica in my back pocket because of this, even when the points are dull it will cut or saw it's way through. you just have to get a triangle stone or a Spyderco sharpener to keep it sharp.

[LarryB "Ya'll might think I'm a little weird but I like knives"]

I know what you mean, besides my spyderco I carry and old Craftsman stockman and a Gerber Sportsman multipliar on my belt.

Danoon
05-29-2007, 12:00 AM
New here and first post but I wanted to tell Larry that he is over doing it.
Now personally, I carry a Leatherman wave, Leatherman knife [with the screwdriver, can opener and carabeaner & belt clip] and a gerber neck knife in the pocket. On my keys i have two led flashlights.
I'd carry more but my pants fall down..

marberry
05-30-2007, 10:19 AM
i carry the special edition wave , a micra , a buck folding knife, a machette, and a few other knives whenever im hiking or backwoods camping , i need advice on what survival knife to buy though?

marberry
05-30-2007, 11:32 AM
whoa i love that knife! i think ill buy one lol it looks soo coo, if your going for strong ones go gerber or buck, the one you chose is so awsome though , it looks very sturdy and well made great choice!

marberry
05-30-2007, 11:33 AM
HOLY ****!!!! i didnt see the price of it , cant be very sturdy for that price but WOW is it cheep heck i think ill buy a dozen or so lol

marberry
05-30-2007, 04:46 PM
i need a good survival knife 2 i live close to a wholesale sports so i have plenty of selection and i have lotsa money (i bought a 250$ cowboy style hat on impulse, aswell as a pin striped suit lolz) so iv got like 300 or so to spend on it, what kind should i get?

Danoon
05-30-2007, 10:48 PM
I guess it depends on what you think you will need for survival. I have a Kershaw D2 and a Kabar on the BOB. The D2 is like a small machete but thick enough to beat on or cut a fair tree down. I think a survival knife is something that is small and has as many uses as possible, ie: your wave. I like the Leatherman knives but I think the D2 is what you're looking for.

marberry
05-30-2007, 11:19 PM
well if im goin out for a long time i usually take my collection of knives , sharpenin them passes alot of time, they include 2 cold steel folding knives , 1 gerber folding knife , 2 of the earlier unnamed leatherman tools, 3 copies of the combat knife i invented, its 4' shark tooth blade coated in black teflon with a clip and safety built it , the special feature im very proud of is the opening device , i call it a flip knife , you flick your wrist and the blade pops out with a loud snap, like a legal switchblade, a few unnamed folders and a straight razor.

Danoon
05-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Got any pics of those knives of yours? I'm always looking for something to add to the collection... [just don't tell the wife, she figured out I'm not really opening a butcher shop.]

marberry
05-30-2007, 11:49 PM
lol , sure ill take some 2moro , you interested in my custom ones ? they'r a very small negotiable price (in other words the max your willing to pay lol) the leathermans arnt for sale i collect em so far i have 7 and i havnt bought the 'juice' model yet

Danoon
05-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see your custom knives. I've got too many multitools as it is and probably 40 pocket knives [ including dads and grandpas] along with 8 or so machetes. We won't even get into the number of flashlights, lanterns and radios.

The wife complained until I counted her shoes and jewelry boxes... now she just gives me "that look" when the ups truck pulls up.

marberry
05-31-2007, 10:51 AM
lol i could rly use a lantern or good flashlight , maby once you see the knife we could arrange a trade? since you have excess lolz,

Dark786
05-31-2007, 08:31 PM
i found this one web site selling a survival knife for 500 they had pics of it going threw sheet metal it was a sweet knifei will try to find the site again.

Tony uk
06-10-2007, 05:50 PM
I know people who think THIS (http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr2783.html) is a good one

But the mumma of all knives ive used is THIS (http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr1494.html)

But for me i use my old faithfull one (http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/info_20.html)

LtAttiic
06-10-2007, 07:42 PM
it was a good site but not many choices in the way of survival knifes

what do you mean? any knife can be a survival knife.

FVR
06-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Take your pick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/Mvc-001s-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/Mvc-028s.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/Kabars.jpg

I'm comfy with all of these.

Tony uk
06-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Cool collection, can i ask how you got that one 1st down in the third pic ?

FVR
06-11-2007, 06:59 PM
They are both Kabars. The bottom one is a MK2 that I've had since I was 13. I've taken it all over the world with me.

The knife above is the New Age Kabar. I have not taken it anywhere. Yet. I won an ebay auction for it. Saved a bit of money.

The flint knapped knife is what I call Caveman Kabars. I've made two and have given them away. The one I'm working on now is a bit bigger.

WildGoth
06-11-2007, 10:15 PM
that is amazing how did you make it

FVR
06-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Making the knives are kind of easy. I look through my stash of rock and find some that look like a knife blade. Then start knapping. I will use my deer antler hammer to get the rough form, then I will use my handy little river rock to further shape the blade. Then I will start flaking the blade and thinning out the area that will go into the handle.

They are not as pretty as most out there but I can tell you one thing, they will last alot longer. The one shown, the back of the blade is a little over a half inch thick.

I just finished a little dagger that I'm sending to a good friend.

the edge
06-14-2007, 09:06 PM
i think a swiss army knife is good

spiritman
06-14-2007, 09:22 PM
How functional are your hand made knives?

I like my folding Osborne Benchmade, it has a really amazing swing/lock mechanism that will not say die as well as an ideal(at least for me) alloy. You would do good to look into what properties your blade has and compare that to your skill of maintaining the edge, it will save you grief if you know how to maintain it. I keep it with me at all times and it's not too big. When I had to replace it(because my first one got stolen) I had the money for a more expensive knife but I still stuck with my same knife if that says anything to ya. As for a fixed blade, my buck knife is one tough piece of metal, and not expensive either.

FVR
06-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Well, they gut and skin critters better than any metal blade knife. Hogs especially as there is alot of grease and fat. Metal blade knives, the micro edges fill in with the grease and you have to keep scrubbing your knives. Flint and obsidian knives for some reason don't to that. I have flint tools that have skinned three hogs out where the metal knife could only get a quarter of the job done.

They are what they are, primitve knives.

I always carry either a flint knife or flint tools. The flint tools don't look like much but they are compact and come in real handy.

I use to do knapping exibitions for the boyscouts years ago. To show them how sharp the rock knives were, I would take a heavy piece of deerskin and take a razor sharp knife and do a slice. Then I would do the same with a rock knife and would amaze all as the rock knives, although they look primitive, were much sharper.

KRASH!
06-23-2007, 03:06 AM
FVR,
check out the Master's of Defense (M.O.D.) Close Quarters Defense (CQD) Mark I (auto)

It's usually a bit pricey if you don't qualify for a discount, and its usually illegal for most folks. But one heck of a good pig-sticker and of course (grin) its hella' fun.

Use it mostly for work, but dependible works outdoors too.

FVR
06-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Checked them out, really nice and compact and yes, pricey.

mbarnatl
06-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I found the SOG SEAL Revolver (http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/store/knives/sogrev-7.html) to be an ideal folding survival knife. And the SOG SEAL Pup Elite (http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/store/knives/soge37t.html) is really reliable fixed knife.

FVR
06-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I always carry one of the Gerber Gators as I call it. Nice grip for a folder, has serrated blade at the back and sharp.

Sarge47
07-08-2007, 01:53 AM
When it comes to knives, quality counts. It's gotta hold up. I look for a Rockwell hardness rating of between 48-52. I use both folding & fixed blade knives, depending on the circumstances. The one I stay away from is the "Rambo" style knife with the hollow handle. This design creates a weakness where the blade joins the handle, unlike a regular fixed blade that is all one solid piece of steel from heel to toe. Good names to trust are Buck, Gerber, K-bar, Ontario, & Camillus. Gerber makes a knife that was the result of a collaboration with the military that I like for about $100 called the "LMF Knives". (view them at cabellas.com and click on "knives") It's not a huge knife, but just the right size.

Sarge47
07-08-2007, 10:33 AM
I always carry a folding knife, but, my fixed blade is a RAT-7.
Best knife i've ever owned.

If I recall right, the RAT-7 is made by the Ontario Knife Company. Great choice!

paul vs wild
07-08-2007, 11:44 PM
It depends where you are and what style you are. If your gonna have lots of cutting go with a big fixed knife. If you like to improvise go for a leatherman wave. if you like a smaller knife that can still to big knife jobs go for a folding large knife. the most important thing is to make sure the handle is solid and try to stick to trusted manufacturers like buck. I have 20 knives all different styles and i have to say if i was dropped into the wilderness with one knife (or multitool) and nothing else it would be my leatherman. but my favorite knife is my buck zipper with rubberized handle (with gut hook used by bear grylls in his everglades episode). if your gonna get a big fixed blade knife try to get a gut hook with it, its well worth the extra price!

Sarge47
07-09-2007, 10:17 AM
It depends where you are and what style you are. If your gonna have lots of cutting go with a big fixed knife. If you like to improvise go for a leatherman wave. if you like a smaller knife that can still to big knife jobs go for a folding large knife. the most important thing is to make sure the handle is solid and try to stick to trusted manufacturers like buck. I have 20 knives all different styles and i have to say if i was dropped into the wilderness with one knife (or multitool) and nothing else it would be my leatherman. but my favorite knife is my buck zipper with rubberized handle (with gut hook used by bear grylls in his everglades episode). if your gonna get a big fixed blade knife try to get a gut hook with it, its well worth the extra price!

Paul, I have a couple of Buck fixed blade knives. One is like the one you mention without the gut-hook. I bought it many years back after seeing the same thing used by a survival expert on the video: "The Ultimate Outdoorsman" by Bob Newman. (The video & book is available from Paladin Press.) I also have the Buck "General", which is the "old line" style of hunting knife with the black ebony handle. It's just a bit longer than their "Special", which Wal-Mart sells. Have you heard of that one?

Woodland
07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Hey PaulvsWild, do you know which folder bear had in some of the shows. it looked to be a part serrated folder with a 4 inch blade or so.

Just got a Benchmade Vex, Hope to go to the mountains this Sunday for a hike to try it out.

spiritman
07-10-2007, 07:00 PM
I love my osborne benchmade, you'll be very happy with your Vex for sure!

woodzman
07-10-2007, 07:53 PM
What are you going to use it for? if survival then get a good reliable blade maybe with a saw on the back GET CARBON STEEL preferably with full tang. cold steel is a good company http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-bushman.html VERY GOOD BLADE HERE <-- iwould recommend it if you dont have anything else you were already going to get.

Cold Steel does make a good knife. I have one of their Survival Rescue Knives that can do everything from skin squirrels to split fire wood if needed. It's a little big for my taste, but It's a lot of knife for the money.

Woodland
07-11-2007, 11:04 AM
The Osborne is a nice looking knife, is the Axis lock holding up well. I'ts supposed to be a pretty tough lock. I'm thinking about getting a Griptilian because of the price and the axis lock.

spiritman
07-14-2007, 03:59 AM
The Osborne is a nice looking knife, is the Axis lock holding up well. I'ts supposed to be a pretty tough lock. I'm thinking about getting a Griptilian because of the price and the axis lock.

Yeah the lock is a beauty I've never had a problem with it and I use it for everything, period. it's also easy to keep clean because it's so simple and it's my favorite part about the knife and i catch myself opening and closing it all the time. It's the smoothest action I've ever known and I'm hooked for life.

jimjimjimmyjim
07-14-2007, 05:26 PM
i just bought a kershaw blackout. it is pretty nice. i went with the serrated blade. its really solid but as far as a survival knife goes i think im going to go with a kabar or another fixed blade knife of that type. Kershaw is a good name for folding knifes though.

Sarge47
07-14-2007, 05:45 PM
i just bought a kershaw blackout. it is pretty nice. i went with the serrated blade. its really solid but as far as a survival knife goes i think im going to go with a kabar or another fixed blade knife of that type. Kershaw is a good name for folding knifes though.

I own a Kabar & it's a great knife, however check out the Gerber LMF knives at www.cabelas.com. It's made for the navy seals and can be lashed to a pole to make a spear.

bladefrenzy
07-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi, new here, but I am a true knife knut, and a newbie maker. I would like to suggest a fairly affordable custom for those seeking a heavy duty survival type knife. Get ahold of Justin at Ranger knives. You could get one of several customs around 150 some even less. He's also willing to modify knives or build to your specs all for a reasonable price. They really are bomb proof knives.
I am not affiliated with them at all, just used the knives. Thought I'd pass it along. Later, Steve

troutndeer
07-14-2007, 10:34 PM
I carry a sog fllash 2 as my everyday. but for a fixed blade i really like the glock knifes.

Fvr I like your tru-bal throwers!

bladefrenzy
07-15-2007, 12:31 AM
I have always wanted a glock knife, but never got around to getting one. I may try one , they're pretty stout I suppose?

jimjimjimmyjim
07-15-2007, 02:33 AM
kershaw makes some dang good folders. they will stay sharp for a long time and they are really solid. check out kershawknives.com. good stuff.

jimjimjimmyjim
07-15-2007, 02:43 AM
thanks, yeah that does look pretty sweet. but i would probably have to go find one at a store somewhere so i could actually hold it because i hate buying knives that i have never felt or looked at closley. is it just me or does it seem like those knives where you can exchange the blade fo a saw or different blade are a really bad idea? jesus does rock

jimjimjimmyjim
07-15-2007, 02:54 AM
is a gut hook really necassary? if im in a survival situation im probably not going to be getting much big game. so is there any other uses to a gut hook then guts? bare with me im only sixteen and i literally have about zero hunting experience but i do want to learn about this stuff.

Sarge47
07-15-2007, 08:21 AM
thanks, yeah that does look pretty sweet. but i would probably have to go find one at a store somewhere so i could actually hold it because i hate buying knives that i have never felt or looked at closley. is it just me or does it seem like those knives where you can exchange the blade fo a saw or different blade are a really bad idea? jesus does rock

I hear you, I, for one, don't care for knives where you can exchange blades. Seems to me that it might weaken the knife some how. However, if mail-order is the only way to go then I've no other choice, I just order from a company with a decent return policy.

Sarge47
07-15-2007, 08:25 AM
is a gut hook really necassary? if im in a survival situation im probably not going to be getting much big game. so is there any other uses to a gut hook then guts? bare with me im only sixteen and i literally have about zero hunting experience but i do want to learn about this stuff.

I maintain that any accessories on a knife are purely up to the individual's taste.
None of my fixed-blade knives have a "gut-hook". However just about all of my Swiss Army knives seem to have something that could be called that. I don't care for the idea of a gut-hook on a fixed-blade knife as it seems that it could snag on things too easy.

rusty_oxydado
07-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Sarge 47;
I'm not much for flash and fancy, and maybe you can inform me of some of the knives being offered on the market today.
I am currious about these serrated knife blades. What are they good for? The steel in them can't be all that good if you have to saw through whatever it is you are trying to cut.
I understand the safety feature of having a lock blade, but in the end if you have a sharp blade and you are using the knife right, you won't have a need to lock the blade open, now would you?
We all have our preferences, and styles we tend to saunter over to, in my life I can't say how many knives I have had. I have had long knives, they are ok, I guess.
I prefere the old pocket knife, I still have the "Old Timer" my dad gave me over 45 years ago. It is retired now as it has been sharpened far too many times and the blades resemble ice picks more than blades any more.
For my use and needs a 3" blade is just about right, no serations, no fancy gut hooks, just a simple blade.
I will go for a long blade when I am cutting meat, other than that, it is my pocket knife that I use for everything else, cleaning and trimming my nails, opening my mail, and in a fix, cutting my meat.
My pocket knife fit's my pocket nicely, and is out of site, unlike a long knife that needs to be hung from your belt.
Though you intend the knife as purely utilitairian, a long knife on your belt, there will be those who will see it as a weapon, and may play on you to use it. In some places it is seen as a weapon, and the laws are prohibitive twards them.
This thing with the serrated blade up next to the knifes handle, this is the part of the knife I use for whittling, and slicing stuff. I don't want to saw stuff.
Knives are a specialized tool for the individual, for the person what type he/she chooses is purely to their taste.
Survival, you have only so much stuff you can carry, this is where you decide over flash fancy and utilitarian.

Rusty.

Sarge47
07-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Sarge 47;
I'm not much for flash and fancy, and maybe you can inform me of some of the knives being offered on the market today.
I am currious about these serrated knife blades. What are they good for? The steel in them can't be all that good if you have to saw through whatever it is you are trying to cut.
I understand the safety feature of having a lock blade, but in the end if you have a sharp blade and you are using the knife right, you won't have a need to lock the blade open, now would you?
We all have our preferences, and styles we tend to saunter over to, in my life I can't say how many knives I have had. I have had long knives, they are ok, I guess.
I prefere the old pocket knife, I still have the "Old Timer" my dad gave me over 45 years ago. It is retired now as it has been sharpened far too many times and the blades resemble ice picks more than blades any more.
For my use and needs a 3" blade is just about right, no serations, no fancy gut hooks, just a simple blade.
I will go for a long blade when I am cutting meat, other than that, it is my pocket knife that I use for everything else, cleaning and trimming my nails, opening my mail, and in a fix, cutting my meat.
My pocket knife fit's my pocket nicely, and is out of site, unlike a long knife that needs to be hung from your belt.
Though you intend the knife as purely utilitairian, a long knife on your belt, there will be those who will see it as a weapon, and may play on you to use it. In some places it is seen as a weapon, and the laws are prohibitive twards them.
This thing with the serrated blade up next to the knifes handle, this is the part of the knife I use for whittling, and slicing stuff. I don't want to saw stuff.
Knives are a specialized tool for the individual, for the person what type he/she chooses is purely to their taste.
Survival, you have only so much stuff you can carry, this is where you decide over flash fancy and utilitarian.

Rusty.

First, I would say go with what you know. There are so many knives on the market today it would make your head spin. I only take a fixed-blade knife when I'm out in the woods or field. If I'm ever involved with the Boy Scouts again I wouldn't take a knife with a long blade. (Nothing over 4") It's too tempting for the young rascals to get a hold of and do some serious damage to themselves or others. In the field I also carry a swiss champ and a folding buck, but in different places in case something would happen to my fixed-blade knife. What I look for in any knife can be summed up in a three words: QUALITY, DURABILITY, & PRICE. I've been checking out knives on the internet and have narrowed MY choices down to two companies: Gerber and The Ontario knife Company. Both are outstanding companies and I know that if I pick something from their military groups I'm somewhat assured of my three areas. I want a "Rockwell Hardness count" between 52-58. (RC) This is not the hardest steel, but close. Any harder and the blade will be either difficult to sharpen in the field or brittle. I won't pay more than $130.00 for a good knife, and I mean GOOD! I've seen knives from $300 up to over a grand.
I don't need that kind of a knife, but their may be others that do. I will only deal with established knife manufacturers who I know are reliable. On my belt I carry a Swiss Army Knife (Victorinox) that is longer than most and has a locking blade. Next to it is my Victorinox multi-tool. These are with me always. If you don't want the serrated blade then get a knife without one. They're only used for sawing through branches anyway, to the best of my knowledge. By the way, your "Old-Timer" is probably a collector's item now that Schrade has closed their doors. I hoped I've helped.

FVR
07-15-2007, 08:40 PM
The folder that Baer carries looks identical to the one I carry which is a Gerber Gator folder. Nice handle, serated about two inches and locks.

Never thought I would like a knife that had a 1/3 of it's length serated, but boy was I wrong. It zips through rope, works well for cutting nocks in arrows, cutting cane shoots for arrows and splitting feathers.

And it doesn't really cost all that much.

Sarge47
07-15-2007, 08:42 PM
The folder that Baer carries looks identical to the one I carry which is a Gerber Gator folder. Nice handle, serated about two inches and locks.

Never thought I would like a knife that had a 1/3 of it's length serated, but boy was I wrong. It zips through rope, works well for cutting nocks in arrows, cutting cane shoots for arrows and splitting feathers.

And it doesn't really cost all that much.

Gerber makes a top-quality knife!

bear
07-16-2007, 10:50 AM
I have a Knives of Alaska knife that is called a Bushcamp. It is one of the best knives that I have ever owned. It is very easy to sharpen and will hold a good edge. Cold Steels are also hard to beat. bear

Sarge47
07-16-2007, 01:42 PM
I have a Knives of Alaska knife that is called a Bushcamp. It is one of the best knives that I have ever owned. It is very easy to sharpen and will hold a good edge. Cold Steels are also hard to beat. bear

The three things I look for in a knife is QUALITY, DURABILITY, & PRICE. The two brands you mentioned meet the 1st two, but fail the third....waaaayy to high priced for me.

troutndeer
07-16-2007, 06:56 PM
The glock knifes are great, the handels and scaberd are made from the same pastic as their pistoles. It holds a good edge and they are cheap.

FrankyFourFingers
07-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Hy fellas, first post here. I am considering purchasing it but want to hear from some people who already own it or have used it. It looks to be a great knife for about 85$ ( as low as 70 on ebay). I should note that I am not an expert survivalist or anything, just another guy who likes to take extended camping trips a few times a year, if I can get away. I am going to plan my first mini survival expedition to the appalachian mountains in the fall and I am considering buying this knife for that reason.

Are there any better knives in that price range ( or cheaper?....but not too cheap if you know what I mean). I seem to be partial to Gerbers because they seem to be good values but I am open to any brand.

WildGoth
07-17-2007, 02:37 PM
well a good knife is a buck knife my dad has had his for 25 years and it still works perfectly

Rocky789
07-17-2007, 03:23 PM
I have this knife and love it, its very functional in practically any situation, its definately not a light knife but when you have it in hand and hold it properly it all balances out very well with a good grip on it. It is really good metal and very solid and certainly sharp out of the box, and with the sharpener already built in it's carrier, sharpening it is pretty simple and best of all the sharpener actually works fairly well. I live fairly close to the appalachian mountains and have used it with great results with the materials in that area. Now im not saying this is the absolute best knife but in all reality its hard to pick out one knife that is best but this no matter what is a great knife and I think is worth it if you plan to not abuse it past whats necessary it should last for a very long time.

Sarge47
07-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Hy fellas, first post here. I am considering purchasing it but want to hear from some people who already own it or have used it. It looks to be a great knife for about 85$ ( as low as 70 on ebay). I should note that I am not an expert survivalist or anything, just another guy who likes to take extended camping trips a few times a year, if I can get away. I am going to plan my first mini survival expedition to the appalachian mountains in the fall and I am considering buying this knife for that reason.

Are there any better knives in that price range ( or cheaper?....but not too cheap if you know what I mean). I seem to be partial to Gerbers because they seem to be good values but I am open to any brand.

Welcome Franky! Ive got three Buck knives and they are great. I'm also looking into the Gerber LMF as a smaller knife combined with the Ontario RTAK-II. The RTAK has a 10 inch blade as opposed to the RAT-7's 6 inch blade, although the RAT-7 is a great knife as well! In the end, you can't go wrong with either one of them as long as you treat them with the respect they deserve and the care that they'll need.

FrankyFourFingers
07-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. Buying a knife is turning out to be much harder than I thought it would be...I am like a kid in a candy store. Right now I am leaning toward the Gerber LMF ( it just LOOKS like a beast...lol) but I will have to check out RTAK and RAT-7.

Strider
07-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Hey, I just got a new set of knives after searching for a month or so... my first knife was a heavy duty and expensive plier type with a bunch of little tools that fold into the handle. I got a few other small pocket knives but last year i spent some money and got a really good knife. If you are looking for good quality, 'd say look for Buck Knives. They are sturdy, strong, and useful.
I saw some other people say it depends on what you are gonna use it for. That's true. If you want one for hiking and camping and such, I would recommend a good folding knife, not a fixed blade. Even in a hard sheath, a fixed blade can puncture it and stab you if you trip and fall. (Happened to someone I knew, and ouch, took 3 operations to fix his leg up...)
Yeah, so I'd look for brand name knives, like Buck, on the Buck site or other knife sites. Go to buckknives.com and there's all their knives... all great quality, if not a bit expensive. ...
:)

Sarge47
07-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Hey, I just got a new set of knives after searching for a month or so... my first knife was a heavy duty and expensive plier type with a bunch of little tools that fold into the handle. I got a few other small pocket knives but last year i spent some money and got a really good knife. If you are looking for good quality, 'd say look for Buck Knives. They are sturdy, strong, and useful.
I saw some other people say it depends on what you are gonna use it for. That's true. If you want one for hiking and camping and such, I would recommend a good folding knife, not a fixed blade. Even in a hard sheath, a fixed blade can puncture it and stab you if you trip and fall. (Happened to someone I knew, and ouch, took 3 operations to fix his leg up...)
Yeah, so I'd look for brand name knives, like Buck, on the Buck site or other knife sites. Go to buckknives.com and there's all their knives... all great quality, if not a bit expensive. ...
:)

They're not nearly as expensive as the Bear Grylls Knife. :>) I own Three Buck knives & the Buck camp hand-axe. (Buck Lumina LED, Buck Pro-Line General, & the Buck Vanguard...without the gut-hook, makes it easier to use a "baton".) Buck is always top-quality for folks like us. However, I carry both folders & fixed if I'm out & about, or, as our Aussie brothers might put it: "Goin' for a bit of a walk-about mate."

Semper Fi
07-21-2007, 10:06 PM
HI all, I am new to the forums and looking for a new knife.
I know there is no such thing as a Perfect knife and it all depends on the specific use of the knife. I am looking for a knife that I can chop down trees with, Skin animals, clean fish, defend myself, clear brush, Hold a good edge, be durable and reliable, preferably with some serrations, be rust and corrosion resistant, have the ability to be razor sharp yet somewhat thick for sturdyness, and last of all be not to much over a $100.

Seems very difficult for me to find a knife like this.Although these are what I am looking at right now . Tell me what you think. hope the links work

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=1218&mode=category&categoryId=1,2,3,7&categoryName=Military/Tactical

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/DBA802-2190-1258.html

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=1282&mode=category&categoryId=1,2,3,7,9&categoryName=Military/Tactical

What is a better steel D2 or 1095?

I can't wait to hear some of you guys' responses, thanks in advance.

Semper Fi

ATough
07-21-2007, 10:14 PM
this knife is expensive but it can do all that http://www.bayleyknife.com/
you might be able to find a used one on the net that is cheaper.

FVR
07-21-2007, 10:18 PM
I have one of the new Kabars and am very pleased.

Sarge47
07-21-2007, 10:30 PM
HI all, I am new to the forums and looking for a new knife.
I know there is no such thing as a Perfect knife and it all depends on the specific use of the knife. I am looking for a knife that I can chop down trees with, Skin animals, clean fish, defend myself, clear brush, Hold a good edge, be durable and reliable, preferably with some serrations, be rust and corrosion resistant, have the ability to be razor sharp yet somewhat thick for sturdyness, and last of all be not to much over a $100.

Seems very difficult for me to find a knife like this.Although these are what I am looking at right now . Tell me what you think. hope the links work

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/20694-16492-1258.html

I can't wait to hear some of you guys' responses, thanks in advance.

Semper Fi

I have the Ka-Bar non-serrated blade & it's a good knife. The one survivorman is recommending will cost you well over $700.00. I think that Ontario's RTAK-II is more along the line of a knife that will cut trees and brush better. It has a 10 inch blade and you can get one with a partially serrated blade for the same price as the non-serrated one at www.brigadeqm.com. The price is about $90.00 plus S.& H. Check out the description and see what you think.

FVR
07-21-2007, 10:31 PM
700 bucks. It better come equipped with a guide.

Semper Fi
07-21-2007, 10:39 PM
wow 17'' overall is pretty big not that I mind a big knife but they do seem to be a little unwieldly for me to handle. and the ontario knife is a little ugly compared to the KA-Bars lol.

Thanks for all the replys keep em coming.

Sarge47
07-21-2007, 10:42 PM
700 bucks. It better come equipped with a guide.

Check out the thread: "Gear used on Man vs. Wild.", start with the 1st thread and work your way down!

Sarge47
07-21-2007, 10:54 PM
wow 17'' overall is pretty big not that I mind a big knife but they do seem to be a little unwieldly for me to handle. and the ontario knife is a little ugly compared to the KA-Bars lol.

Thanks for all the replys keep em coming.

Go back to that site & check out Ontario's "RAT-7" and Cabela's has the "Buck General Pro-Line" for around $55.00. However the Ka-Bar is a great knife as well!

NevadaCarry
07-22-2007, 12:36 AM
I have the Kabar knife you linked and carry it whenever I go camping.

My reason for getting a Kabar is just that I remember my father having a few of them growing up. He was in the military and I'm pretty sure that's what he was issued. Seems like a solid knife to me. There's no way I'll be paying $700 for knife...unless I hit the lottery!

I also carry a Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto Pt Non serrated. I bring it with me when I'm camping/hiking and I also carry it everyday. I love this knife!
http://www.coldsteel.com/recon1.html

Semper Fi
07-24-2007, 11:25 AM
I would try and steer away from trueswords.com they have cheap stuff but the quality is low on most of the products on their site.

Fog_Harbor
07-29-2007, 09:01 PM
I purchased the Ka-Bar long Bowie for my general knife, and the Ka-Bar Kukri for chopping and camp work. Both strong knives, and a joy to work with.

Fog_Harbor
07-31-2007, 09:41 PM
420 Stainless is not a very good knife blade material. Spend some money, and buy quality. Many good brands and suggestions here. My personal favorite is the Ka Bar Heavy Bowie.

HOP
08-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Heat treating may be what adds to the price of a knife most and a knife at this price is probably very soft and subject to easy damage. My 2 cents say find a style you can live with and that fits your needs then find the best quality of that style you can afford.

Sarge47
08-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Recently I purchased a knife from Maxam. I haven't gotten it yet, so I'm still waiting for it. Here's the knife:
http://www.ckbproducts.com/product_info.php/cPath/246_258/products_id/1327
Great website btw.

Anywho, I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were. Good knife? Bad knife?

While we're on the subject, I also would like to know what you all look for in a good knife.

I know about the SOG, The RAT-7, The RTAK-II, but this was 1st time viewing a POS:rolleyes: However, if you insist on being a "Rambo wannabe" you have two choices on how to protect yourself from, say, a charging bear with this piece of junk. 1st: Hold the knife out, let the sun glimmer on the blade long enough for the bear to see it and say: "Look puppy! See the play-pretty?" Then throw it as far away from you as you can while shouting "fetch!!!" at the top of your lungs. That should only be used though if the 2nd thing didn't work when you showed said bear the knife. If he stops his charge & falls to the ground laughing insanely this should give you the opportunity to sneak away. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a "proven" knife from one of the reputable companies listed through out this forum. Keep the knife you've got coming as an emergency fish lure...it might work!:D

trax
08-01-2007, 04:47 PM
So Sarge, you really approve huh? I find it interesting that people have posted about certain knives..."that's not really a survival knife" It is if it's what I'm carrying and I need to survive. I'm more bothered by the idea of yahoos who are running around out there with knives, guns,(note some other postings around here, lol) traps and don't know what they're doing (where did that come from?) If you're going to spend the money on a decent knife, use it for what it was meant for and it'll last you forever. Also, take a first aid course first, so that when you slice your thumb off, you'll know exactly how good your knife is, and exactly what to do...

Strider
08-01-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm just wondering... out of everyone here, what do you think is the best brand of knife? I already have several, mostly buck knives... I've heard leatherman is good... is that true? :confused:

spiritman
08-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah leatherman is good, no doubt. My favorite knife is a benchmade though.

SOE digital
08-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Leatherman is the best, IMO, but it all depends on what you want to get out of your knife.

donny h
08-01-2007, 11:55 PM
what do you think is the best brand of knife?

I think it depends on the kind of knife, I too think Leatherman makes the best multi tools.

Some Gerber blades are really nice, especially older ones, others are junk.

I have a Tanto shaped folder that is from Cold Steel, they invented the Tanto, for that shape I wouldn't buy any other brand.

Spyderco makes some affordable and functional blades, so does Kershaw. Working mans knives.

Benchmades sure look nice, I haven't owned one.

I looked at Kukris from different major makers, instead I got an authentic one made from a leaf spring, I think it's beefier than the commercial versions, for 1/3 the cost.

I don't think there is any one best brand, and the knives I mentioned here are very much entry level, there are thousands of custom knive makers out there, with a limitless selection of high dollar blades, I bet they all have an opinion on best brand.

Sarge47
08-01-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm just wondering... out of everyone here, what do you think is the best brand of knife? I already have several, mostly buck knives... I've heard leatherman is good... is that true? :confused:

I've used Buck for years; they come with a great guarantee as does any quality knife. Ka-Bar is good, Ontario is good, Gerber is good, Work your way on up the money tree and you'll find exceptional quality!:cool: What exactly do you a.) want the knife for, or to do, b.) what environment are you planning to use it in, & c,) how much do you want to spend?

Strider
08-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Well, I am thinking of getting a fixed blade, and using it for pretty much everything... well, everything camping involved!;) Howm much I'd spend? Well, I don't think I'd like to too much over 100 bucks, but if it were a really good knife, and everyone said that the company who made it was good... then I might... :) Thanks for your replies!

Sarge47
08-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, I am thinking of getting a fixed blade, and using it for pretty much everything... well, everything camping involved!;) How much I'd spend? Well, I don't think I'd like to go too much over 100 bucks, but if it were a really good knife, and everyone said that the company who made it was good... then I might... :) Thanks for your replies!

You have a good working budget. You say you want the knife to be used for "pretty much everything camping involved." Clearing brush? if so check out Ontario's RTAK-II with it's 10 inch blade, a good cross between a hunting knife and a machete. Brigade Quartermasters sells them for $90 + S.& H.

Too long of a blade? Ontario's RAT-7 has a 6 1/2 inch blade and is available from Brigade for about $100 + S&H. Kabar's fighting knife is also good with it's 7" blade. Cost is about $50 if you shop around. Buck's general can be bought from Cabela's for $55 +S&H.(7 1/2' blade) Wal-Mart carries the next size down from the General, the #119 Special for $35. (6" blade)

Need a smaller blade than that? Brigade Quartermasters sells the Gerber LMF II for $79. Check out the Buck Vanguard for about $50.

You should always carry a folding knife of sorts for small tasks like whittling, cutting small notches in wood for stakes, figure 4 trap triggers, etc. A good quality Swiss Army knife is good for that. Top quality ones are made by either Wenger or Victoinox. Hope that helps.

ZTGuy
08-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Funny YOU should ask.....I love Leatherman, and carry a Charge Ti everywhere I go, but my HANDS DOWN all time favorite brand/maker is Strider. They are not cheap, but IMHO, they are the most rugged, hard use, high quality knives out there. Not to mention the customer service and warranty are second to none. According to Strider, their policy is "If you break it, first, we'll be impressed, and second, we'll fix it." I also am a big fan of Benchmade and Kershaw/Ken Onion.

Sarge47
08-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Funny YOU should ask.....I love Leatherman, and carry a Charge Ti everywhere I go, but my HANDS DOWN all time favorite brand/maker is Strider. They are not cheap, but IMHO, they are the most rugged, hard use, high quality knives out there. Not to mention the customer service and warranty are second to none. According to Strider, their policy is "If you break it, first, we'll be impressed, and second, we'll fix it." I also am a big fan of Benchmade and Kershaw/Ken Onion.

:eek: The Strider's run from between $350 to $750, and that just what I saw for a few moments. Does Bear Grylls know about these guys?:rolleyes:

ZTGuy
08-02-2007, 03:34 PM
:eek: The Strider's run from between $350 to $750, and that just what I saw for a few moments. Does Bear Grylls know about these guys?:rolleyes:

Hey there, Sarge! If he doesn't....then dare I say he's not TRULY hard core ;-) After all, the Strider Knives motto is: "High speed tools for HARD CORE individuals". BTW, IMHO they are WELL worth the ching. And you're correct, Sarge....their least expensive knife is $325. Their "customs" (technically, since ALOT of hand fitting goes into each knife, they consider all of them "custom") run up to $1,500+. I have one that ran me a grand!! You get what you pay for.....

Sarge47
08-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey there, Sarge! If he doesn't....then dare I say he's not TRULY hard core ;-) After all, the Strider Knives motto is: "High speed tools for HARD CORE individuals". BTW, IMHO they are WELL worth the ching. And you're correct, Sarge....their least expensive knife is $325. Their "customs" (technically, since ALOT of hand fitting goes into each knife, they consider all of them "custom") run up to $1,500+. I have one that ran me a grand!! You get what you pay for.....

That company needs to change they're motto to "Really expensive knives for really RICH individuals"!:p There is no reason to ever pay more than $150 for a knife, and that's only if it comes with a really great sheath. :rolleyes: I'll put my Buck or Ka-Bar up against any one of 'em. You actually paid a grand for a knife? I hope it came with a new car!:eek:

RobertRogers
08-02-2007, 06:26 PM
I like the SOGs 'cause they are made for wet conditions, like where I live.

I carry a SOG Seal Pup knife (http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/sog-seal-pup-knife/).

Sarge47
08-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Here's two knife places that handle about all of your "non-custom" affordable knives at lower prices. The first one I found to be lower than the rest. Check out that new Kabar "Bill Dozier"!

www.gpknives.com

www.knifecenter.com

Happy browsing!:D

ZTGuy
08-02-2007, 09:25 PM
That company needs to change they're motto to "Really expensive knives for really RICH individuals"!:p There is no reason to ever pay more than $150 for a knife (in YOUR opinion), and that's only if it comes with a really great sheath. :rolleyes: I'll put my Buck or Ka-Bar up against any one of 'em (You'll lose). You actually paid a grand for a knife? I hope it came with a new car (nope...just the pride of ownership)!:eek:

The moral of the story is: To each his own. No need to be a hater. Everything I qualified with in my first and second post was strewn with "IMHO"s for a reason. Just my .02 ;-)

Sarge47
08-02-2007, 09:37 PM
The moral of the story is: To each his own. No need to be a hater. Everything I qualified with in my first and second post was strewn with "IMHO"s for a reason. Just my .02 ;-)

Not hatin, dawg. Yes it is my opinion. And FYI Buck has weathered the jungles of Vietnam strapped onto our boys fighting over there without any problems. For $1000 you'd better be proud, as well as have a good paying job!:p I can get a better deal at Bailey Knives & even get Bear's signature to boot, which'll probably run the value down:rolleyes: Anyway, Strider, the Wolf who started this thread, stated he was looking for a knife in the $100 range, so that's what I recommended, & I did say the quality went up the further up the money tree you went, remember? Now for the kicker. I can get a Kabar fighting knife for around 50 bucks. If I go through 19 of 'em I'm still money ahead of what you paid for yours. Please tell me one thing that your knife can do that a Buck, Kabar, or any of the good-quality lower-cost knives can't do?:confused:

p.s.: It could be worse, though, you could be a "Cubs" fan as well!

ZTGuy
08-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Not hatin, dawg. Yes it is my opinion. And FYI Buck has weathered the jungles of Vietnam strapped onto our boys fighting over there without any problems. For $1000 you'd better be proud, as well as have a good paying job!:p I can get a better deal at Bailey Knives & even get Bear's signature to boot, which'll probably run the value down:rolleyes: Anyway, Strider, the Wolf who started this thread, stated he was looking for a knife in the $100 range, so that's what I recommended, & I did say the quality went up the further up the money tree you went, remember? Now for the kicker. I can get a Kabar fighting knife for around 50 bucks. If I go through 19 of 'em I'm still money ahead of what you paid for yours. Please tell me one thing that your knife can do that a Buck, Kabar, or any of the good-quality lower-cost knives can't do?:confused:

p.s.: It could be worse, though, you could be a "Cubs" fan as well!

No prob, bro. I just got my hackles up because I simply extolled the virtues of one knife brand, while simultaneously NOT bashing any other brand (my personal policy- if I don't like it, I try to keep it to myself), and then felt like I was taking incoming mortar rounds for my personal decision. I have had, carried, been issued, and collected knives since I was a kid...Bucks, SAKs, Case, Ka-Bar, pretty much everything there is maybe barring a couple. It is based on many years of unintentional product evaluation through hard use that I arrived at my own decision that the hardest jobs- involving anything from twisting torque type use, chopping, cutting, to even prying if absolutely necessary, were handled better by my Strider knives than any of my other knives. Now I'm not bashing the other brands.....many have served me well and admirably. I simply feel much more confident with a tool that I pretty much know will handle the job. Hell, if our USMC SOCOM/MARSOC grunts contracted Strider to make their combat folders (the Strider model SMF Generation 2 actually has a National Stock Number -NSN), I'd say that speaks to their quality a little bit better than little ole me ;-) Of course, YMMV. Out

P.S. And yes, Sarge.....my heart truly goes out to Cubs fans, for I know their pain. I guess the goat's curse has a little more juice than the Bambino!!!

Sarge47
08-02-2007, 11:32 PM
No prob, bro. I just got my hackles up because I simply extolled the virtues of one knife brand, while simultaneously NOT bashing any other brand (my personal policy- if I don't like it, I try to keep it to myself), and then felt like I was taking incoming mortar rounds for my personal decision. I have had, carried, been issued, and collected knives since I was a kid...Bucks, SAKs, Case, Ka-Bar, pretty much everything there is maybe barring a couple. It is based on many years of unintentional product evaluation through hard use that I arrived at my own decision that the hardest jobs- involving anything from twisting torque type use, chopping, cutting, to even prying if absolutely necessary, were handled better by my Strider knives than any of my other knives. Now I'm not bashing the other brands.....many have served me well and admirably. I simply feel much more confident with a tool that I pretty much know will handle the job. Hell, if our USMC SOCOM/MARSOC grunts contracted Strider to make their combat folders (the Strider model SMF Generation 2 actually has a National Stock Number -NSN), I'd say that speaks to their quality a little bit better than little ole me ;-) Of course, YMMV. Out

P.S. And yes, Sarge.....my heart truly goes out to Cubs fans, for I know their pain. I guess the goat's curse has a little more juice than the Bambino!!!

Someone asked me once what I thought about the Cubs and I said "I have two options for you, take your pick....CUBS either stands for 'Can't Understand Baseball Strategy', or 'Completely Useless By September'" Needless to say, I didn't win too many people over. :rolleyes:

As far as knives go, I believe that Strider brand is obviously a great product. So's the M1 Abrahms Tank, but I don't expect to buy one of those anytime soon either.:D For what you paid for that knife It has to be very, very strong. My point simply is this, unless someone's really loaded they aren't going to want to put that money into a custom knife. Even if I was loaded I wouldn't do it. Now the Busse Battle mistress....well...;>)

I just found out today that Savage-Stevens is only making their high end Model 24 Over & Under. I can get one for around $600. I told the person in charge of sales that the gun was way overpriced and I wouldn't pay that kind of $$ out. Didn't make a friend there either.

One thing you gotta know about me, I'm Irish-German, and we Irish discuss things oft-times in a loud, highly agitated manner, but it isn't a put-down. That simply means that we respect you and your opinions. If we didn't we wouldn't bother talking to you at all.:rolleyes: I Told a guy once that I was Irish-German and he said "Does that mean that half of you wants to take over the world but the other half is too drunk to do it? I'd a hit him, but I was laughing too hard!:D

ZTGuy
08-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Someone asked me once what I thought about the Cubs and I said "I have two options for you, take your pick....CUBS either stands for 'Can't Understand Baseball Strategy', or 'Completely Useless By September'" Needless to say, I didn't win too many people over. :rolleyes:

As far as knives go, I believe that Strider brand is obviously a great product. So's the M1 Abrahms Tank, but I don't expect to buy one of those anytime soon either.:D For what you paid for that knife It has to be very, very strong. My point simply is this, unless someone's really loaded they aren't going to want to put that money into a custom knife. Even if I was loaded I wouldn't do it. Now the Busse Battle mistress....well...;>)

I just found out today that Savage-Stevens is only making their high end Model 24 Over & Under. I can get one for around $600. I told the person in charge of sales that the gun was way overpriced and I wouldn't pay that kind of $$ out. Didn't make a friend there either.

One thing you gotta know about me, I'm Irish-German, and we Irish discuss things oft-times in a loud, highly agitated manner, but it isn't a put-down. That simply means that we respect you and your opinions. If we didn't we wouldn't bother talking to you at all.:rolleyes: I Told a guy once that I was Irish-German and he said "Does that mean that half of you wants to take over the world but the other half is too drunk to do it? I'd a hit him, but I was laughing too hard!:D

It's all good, brother.......Just to clarify, some of the knives I have (mostly my high-end expensive ones like the one I referrenced earlier) are collector pieces....I'm an incurable collector. Although they would be quite capable, they just don't see much, if any, use. The others are my users, and USE them hard I do. I am by no means rich....you might say that I often have Champagne taste, but only beer money (which is funny, 'cause I don't drink....I hope that doesn't offend your Irish, or your German side, Sarge ;-). Good luck to you and your Cubbys. I know how hard it is to stay true to "your team" during the thin years, but you never know when that break out season will happen; BTW, I was a Ryne Sandberg fan as a kid!

Sarge47
08-03-2007, 12:44 AM
It's all good, brother.......Just to clarify, some of the knives I have (mostly my high-end expensive ones like the one I referrenced earlier) are collector pieces....I'm an incurable collector. Although they would be quite capable, they just don't see much, if any, use. The others are my users, and USE them hard I do. I am by no means rich....you might say that I often have Champagne taste, but only beer money (which is funny, 'cause I don't drink....I hope that doesn't offend your Irish, or your German side, Sarge ;-). Good luck to you and your Cubbys. I know how hard it is to stay true to "your team" during the thin years, but you never know when that break out season will happen; BTW, I was a Ryne Sandberg fan as a kid!

I'm not much of a baseball fan, but if I were I'd be partial to the Braves! To be fair, they did pick up some great former Cubs players.:D

And if you read an earlier post of mine you'd know I don't drink either, or smoke, etc.. But I do love the outdoors. I also understand collections; and I agree with you. Taking an expensive knife out in the woods may not be the brightest thing to do, huh?:rolleyes:

Right now I've added the new Kabar Bull Dozier($70 + S. & H.) to my consideration list. Ironically, I could buy the RTAK-II, the RAT-7, the Gerber LMF-II, the aforementioned Kabar, and still pay out less than half what that Strider cost you. Also, you gotta admit, Buck Knives has a great warranty!

BTW, can you post a pic of your Strider so we can all see what a 1K knife looks like?:eek:

ZTGuy
08-03-2007, 01:06 AM
BTW, can you post a pic of your Strider so we can all see what a 1K knife looks like?:eek:

Sure thing pal!
The first two are of the crown jewel Strider in my collection, it's the model Mick Strider Custom RCC Framelock with a "Nightmare" grind Tanto Recurve blade (the second pic is taken from the website of the company where I bought it-True North Knives---second to none!!). The fram is solid Titanium with G10 inlays, and the blade is CPM S30V steel. The next three are of my "field use" knife.....with this I've pryed doors open and cut sapplings down!!! It's made of what they call a "3/4" grind, full tang CPM S30V steel, with G10 slab handles......built pretty much like the Abrahms tank you referrenced in one of your last posts!

ZTGuy
08-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Here are two more, the first showing the top of the blade and the "blood groove", and the second showing the underside with a view of the full length tang. The thing in the background is the Kydex sheath that I wear on my belt. BTW, I apologize for the grainy pics.....it's too late for me to dig around for the digi-cam, so I used my cell phone- adapt, improvise, and overcome I guess .

I also want to offer my apologies to Strider (the one who initiated this thread, not the knifemaker) for hijacking his thread to do a sermon on the knives that bear his screen name. I guess that's the Italian in me getting all overzealous and boistrous!!! See Sarge, we both have quirks attributable to our ethnicity ;-)

Sarge47
08-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Sure thing pal!
The first two are of the crown jewel Strider in my collection, it's the model Mick Strider Custom RCC Framelock with a "Nightmare" grind Tanto Recurve blade (the second pic is taken from the website of the company where I bought it-True North Knives---second to none!!). The fram is solid Titanium with G10 inlays, and the blade is CPM S30V steel. The next three are of my "field use" knife.....with this I've pryed doors open and cut sapplings down!!! It's made of what they call a "3/4" grind, full tang CPM S30V steel, with G10 slab handles......built pretty much like the Abrahms tank you referrenced in one of your last posts!

No offense dawg, I'm sure that the knife you're showing me is of top quality, the best steel, and superior craftsmanship. However my Buck Lumina LED (folder) will do the same thing that one will do, and that is : cut! Also Buck has a lifetime guarantee if the blade should ever break. I would also agree with Volwest about what type of knife should be used in the field. Of course you have also mentioned Benchmade and Kershaw as well so I'm sure you wouldn't risk the Strider knife in an outdoor situation if you could help it. Lose it and....well, who wants to see a grown man cry?:rolleyes: BTW, I have a watch you might be interested in.......:D

ZTGuy
08-04-2007, 12:00 PM
No offense dawg, I'm sure that the knife you're showing me is of top quality, the best steel, and superior craftsmanship. However my Buck Lumina LED (folder) will do the same thing that one will do, and that is : cut! Also Buck has a lifetime guarantee if the blade should ever break (If you read my earlier post carefully, so does Strider- no questions asked, no matter what- I doubt Buck's is as inclusive). I would also agree with Volwest about what type of knife should be used in the field (Oh, that's right, it momentarily escaped me that I should have adhered to what type of knife you and volwest decree should be used in the field, 'cause you're consummate authorities, have endless field experience, and are obviously right.........right???). Of course you have also mentioned Benchmade and Kershaw as well so I'm sure you wouldn't risk the Strider knife in an outdoor situation if you could help it (Wrong again, captain- I think that's your third strike!!!!...Don't be so quick to assume- you know the old addage, don't ya?). Lose it and....well, who wants to see a grown man cry?:rolleyes: BTW, I have a watch you might be interested in (If it's a Breitling, thanks but I already have one- I hope that doesn't draw more fire 'cause it cost more than $30).......:D

Volwest..........HUH???? Your response makes little sense, and what I was able to decipher was full of assumptions, conjecture, and and general drivel. "Require alot of maintenance"???? Huh? "Stare at it all day long"??? What? "Dainty and pretty"???? Dude, You so painfully obviously have not idea even WHAT a Strider knife is, do you.......your ignorance speaks volumes on this.

Sarge.....you ask me to post pics, and you still $#it on me. The addage is usually true that people tend to hate, criticize, or scorn what they cannot have or afford. BTW, I use the knives (aside from the collector piece) ALL the time......on duty and off. You all should write reviews on knives and outdoor gear....you obviously have the field experience. Ya'll are some opinionated M.F.s

FWIW- not ONCE did I ever criticize, putdown, or (if I DID have a comment) do anything but praise any other knife brand, or any brand of gear for that matter, in my short time here........I guess it's just a little quirk I have called courtesy.

owl_girl
08-04-2007, 12:47 PM
The addage is usually true that people tend to hate, criticize, or scorn what they cannot have or afford.
I don’t think they Hate or scorn the knife just the price tag.

ZTGuy
08-04-2007, 01:28 PM
In the end, to each his own.

Yup.......

ZTGuy
08-04-2007, 01:38 PM
lolll

Since you call me dude, i will do the same.

Dude, i was not talking about Strider knives in particular. But, you seem pretty defensive about it all...i wonder why...
You talk about assumptions, and yet you do the same thing.

I didn't mean to talk about your girlfriend that way (I'd prefer you not talk about my girlfriend at all since I'M MARRIED :D just kidding- about the g/f that is, I really am happily married)...but i was just voicing my opinion on what a knife shouldn't be...My view on this is personal, and in the end, knives are a touchy subject i guess...lol

The price tag is of course a big part of buying a knife. It is not necessarily a question of affordability as you presume, but also the fact that there are excellent knives on the market, for a third of the price and less. (I agree that there are MANY excellent knives from other makers out there, I just happen to like Strider the best)
As i see it, those striders are like driving a ferrari in Africa...it's a bit...too much. (Your analogy is slightly lacking in that the vehicle more appropriate to represent a Strider would be a Land Rover or Hummer.....or maybe a Sherman tank :p )
A friend of mine is crazy about them, he has many strider knives, and they are not for me. But i have noticed that when we go out in the "wild", he carries a simple, rugged, $50 Ka-bar.

In the end, to each his own.

To each his own indeed. I'm not trying to persuade anyone toward my line of thinking, and I'm not a Strider salesman, I just expect to get the same amount of courtesy with respect to my OPINIONS and tastes as that which I give. Take care.
P.S. Sorry you took offense to the "dude" comment......it was not meant disrespectfully.

Fog_Harbor
08-04-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm not even sure I should give my opinion after all that. I stick with Ka Bar for the most part. I think I'll leave it at that.

ZTGuy
08-04-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm not even sure I should give my opinion after all that. I stick with Ka Bar for the most part. I think I'll leave it at that.

Hi F.H. Ka Bar makes an excellent product. I have a few in the fold.

Sarge47
08-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi F.H. Ka Bar makes an excellent product. I have a few in the fold.

See...I knew you weren't a "numpty".:D Actually Owl Girl hit it right on the nose, it's not the knife, it's the price.:eek: Don't worry Sox-Man, I'm not gettin' up in your face about all this, not with all the knives you carry. Take your Hummer of a knife afield if you want, and if you lose it you'll simply bless the person who finds it.:rolleyes: I fully realize that a custom hand-made knife is always going to carry a hefty price tag, and I'm not going to pay it, even if I did have the $$$, which I don't. I'm sending my "Colt Jungle Commander" back to A.G. Russell for a full refund of $50 because I'm dissatisfied with the steel quality.(420) I'm gonna use the cash to buy the Ka-Bar Bull Dozier. I found a place that sells them for $65. (www.tomarskabars.com). If I were to buy a custom, hand-made knife & price was no object, I would look seriously into Busse or Bailey, I think their knives look really cool.:cool:

ZTGuy
08-04-2007, 02:55 PM
The Ka Bar Bull Dozier is an AWESOME knife......so is pretty much anything from Busse....Good luck Sarge.

Sarge47
08-04-2007, 05:03 PM
The Ka Bar Bull Dozier is an AWESOME knife......so is pretty much anything from Busse....Good luck Sarge.

I'm glad you reccommend the Ka-Bar Bull Dozier. This Dozier cat must be a great knife-maker from what I hear! As for Busse, I would probably buy Ontario 1st; just can't see spending that much green on a single blade...but then that's me, maybe I'm part Scot!:rolleyes:

FVR
08-04-2007, 10:47 PM

Need I say more.

Guess I will. Here is one of three Caveman Kabars. Just sent #3 out.

ZTGuy
08-05-2007, 12:25 AM

Need I say more.

Guess I will. Here is one of three Caveman Kabars. Just sent #3 out.

Very nice.............love the old skool stuff. Outstanding blades!

carcajou garou
08-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Strider you can't go wrong with Buck knives as with many other name brand makers also, so handle/use as many as you can and let the feel in your hand be your guide. Try to start with a blade lenght of 4-6" and get good with it use it a lot. Not all knives will be the best at all jobs, certain blade styles excel at certain functions, with experience you will be able to judge better, I like the Buck #105 cost effective not overly large but will do a passle of work.
Enjoy the experience.;)

HOP
08-06-2007, 08:20 PM
i think that the best choice for a knife is one of reputable quality with good warrenty then you pick one they offer that seems to fit your needs and functions well to include your ability to sharpen it then use it to its capabilitys. I have many knifes big and small but find myself returning to a couple most of the time that do what I need relialably.

magiclight
09-01-2007, 05:09 PM
are the SOG Seal Pup knifes really any good ?

Fog_Harbor
09-02-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm glad you reccommend the Ka-Bar Bull Dozier. This Dozier cat must be a great knife-maker from what I hear! As for Busse, I would probably buy Ontario 1st; just can't see spending that much green on a single blade...but then that's me, maybe I'm part Scot!:rolleyes:

I'm German Eng-ScIrish.

I Have folders for my mini kit, but do you REALLY recommend then for field use? I mean one small pin failure, and you're pounding stones!

spiritman
09-02-2007, 06:25 PM
I Have folders for my mini kit, but do you REALLY recommend then for field use? I mean one small pin failure, and you're pounding stones!

I recommend having both if my opinion counts for anything. I mostly use a folding knife unless I have to do some chopping, then I use my fixed blade. Other than that it can handle everything. Because they are so useful and so many ppl are interested in knives, engineering keeps getting better.

Sarge47
09-02-2007, 07:42 PM
I recommend having both if my opinion counts for anything. I mostly use a folding knife unless I have to do some chopping, then I use my fixed blade. Other than that it can handle everything. Because they are so useful and so many ppl are interested in knives, engineering keeps getting better.

I'm going to agree with SM here. Some survival books talk about having a folder out in the field for fine work like whittling, fashioning snare triggers, etc. I agree with Foggy about fixed blades being surperior than folders for exactly the same reason he says. However, experts like Bob Newman, Dr. Ron Hood, and J. Wyne Fears, recommend carrying both. Good call SM.;)

eddiec
09-02-2007, 11:18 PM
I use Leatherman knives now, but when I was a medic, I used primarily Spyderco blades. They are tough, simple, and hold an edge pretty well. (I'll be waiting for that endorsement check from the Spyderco Co. any day now...)

James_G
09-03-2007, 03:44 PM
CRKT M16-14T = The absolute best knife that I have ever owned

I have carried it wile traveling and working all around the world, in the Jungle in Indonesia in Iraq and everywhere in between. I have abused it like no other knife that I have owned and it is the ONLY knife that I have never broken

I would never carry another brand of folding knife

kufitar
09-04-2007, 11:15 AM
You might want to check out Scandinavian puukko knives... simple and practical tools and really meant for heavy use! Here's a good information page about different styles and maker's.

http://finnish-puukko.blogspot.com/

survivalhike
09-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Other than the Leatherman brand of multi-tools, which have something for every situation, a good straight blade knife is essential. I don't know why people think that they need to pay $100+ for a good knife when they can get a K-Bar knife. I bought my K-Bar from GI Joes online shop and paid about $50 for it. My friends in the Army and Marines used that knife on a daily basis for everything like pounding in stakes, cutting rope, prying lids off of ammo cans, and occasionally killing enemy soldiers. These knives have a true "to hell and back" reliability, and won't cost you an arm and a leg. At the local gun show out here, the K-Bar demo is amazing. They first show you how the knife is so sharp that it can cut through a piece of paper cleanly. Then they take the same knife to the hood of a car and stab right through it about 20+ times. Then they go right back to the paper and it cuts just as cleanly. They repeat this demo with the same K-Bar all day long. When I showed my friends my k-bar I would do the "shaving" demo on my left hand. I finally stopped doing the demo because I didn't have any hair left on my hand or the lower half of my forearm. Finally, if the USMC and the USAF trust their soldiers lives to a particular knife...I think I will too.

Nomad
09-04-2007, 02:40 PM
I have to say imo brand name means little to me, what type of steel used is very important. Most brand names use good steel, theres only a few types typically used for knives. you'll have to look them up. My personal fav is a Bear & sons folding hunter i use for gen purpose chores. Then theres my KA-BAR skinning knife i only use for well, skinning. It's size and shape fit my hand like a glove, holds a great edge too. Both cost a little over $50.00 wouldn't trade them for anything else!

Samaritan
09-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Try the Randall Made Knives "Attack-Survival" or the "Astro." I have owned the Attack-Survival model since about 1978 and it has absorbed an enormous of abuse. It has helped me out of more than one tight spot and never missed a beat. It is heavily built, very well made and nearly unbreakable as is the Astro Model.
Good Luck !

U.S.Marine2111
09-13-2007, 03:54 PM
I know this post is a little old but I ran across a site I thought was relevant: http://www.knifetests.com/page6.html That link is for a torture test of a KBar, so far very impressive, but I'm only about 7 minutes into the video and there has only been one hardcorps test so far. There are four or five vids demonstrating the beating the Kbar receives, however as I'm in Iraq at present it takes a substantial amount of time to download them in their entirity, so I can't give you much info on the Kbar at this time. This site also thrases other brands of knives as well.

U.S.Marine2111
09-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Just got a couple more minutes into the Kbar thrashing, and it bent at the tang, but this was after it already split a 4x4 down the length. The bend occured on the second time through the 4x4, the knife was struck with a large piece of wood several times to drive it through the 4x4, still impressed. How many people use their knives like that?

RobertRogers
09-14-2007, 09:45 PM
What do you think makes for a good knife?

Sarge47
09-15-2007, 10:52 AM
What do you think makes for a good knife?

I think we've already done a couple of threads on this topic, but again I'll say that quality, durability, and price do it for me.:cool:

FVR
09-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Kabar, need I say more.

survivalhike
09-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Kabar, need I say more.

I agree. You can beat the tar out of it and if by some chance it ever breaks you can replace it for $50.

U.S.Marine2111
09-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Ka Bar! http://www.knifetests.com/page6.html Look at the beating this guy gives a Ka Bar, it would constitute abuse in my book, but it takes a lot of abuse before it finally fails. Most people will not have to use their Ka Bar at the extremes demonstrated in the video, but it is nice to know it will hold up to a lot. You can get a Ka Bar for around $50 if you shop around a bit. Are there better knives out there, yes, does anybody really need a knife that costs $300+, no, absolutly not. If you go to various forums you're going to have people preaching the greatness of Strider, Becker, LaRue, Chris Reeves, the list goes on and on. These knives are absolutly great, at least from most of the reviews and testomonials, but I can't see spending $300 on a knife that will be spend most of it's time opening MRE's and cutting minor vegetation or things of that nature. But hey, if you've got the money and spending $300 on a knife gets your rocks off, run with it.

Rbrownkatz
09-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Frank,
I bought two LMF II's here
http://www.rockynational.com/search.aspx?d=1
for $39.95 each without sheaths. I made my own. My wife and I will try them out next month during seven days on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia. We also each have a Buck. I've had mine 34 years. Great knife but I wanted a fixed blade also. I'll let you know how we like the Gerbers.

FVR
09-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Two favorites.

HOP
09-21-2007, 07:36 AM
For the K-Bar fans there is good news IMHO that Becker knives are going to be made by k-bar after Camilus closed down . Beckers are heavy rugged knives and I think this is a win, win , win for Becker , ka-bar and us.

WildGoth
09-22-2007, 07:19 AM
here use this old post of mine http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146

MCBushbaby
10-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Cold Steel SRK (get the old CarbonV version, the new one is stainless)

STB
10-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Hey
HOpefully someone sees this. I found this knife, and it looks pretty good to me but i dont know that much about knives. Wondering what you guys thought of it, and if there are betetr ones out there that are cheaper or around the same price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-12-ARMADA-HUNTING-SURVIVAL-KNIFE-W-SHEATH_W0QQitemZ220160578310QQihZ012QQcategoryZ425 76QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thoughts great appreciated.

WildGoth
10-15-2007, 12:22 AM
seems ok but try to stay away from ebay for knives you want to know how it feels to your hands so try and get something you can get a feel of beforehand

Sarge47
10-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Hey
HOpefully someone sees this. I found this knife, and it looks pretty good to me but i dont know that much about knives. Wondering what you guys thought of it, and if there are betetr ones out there that are cheaper or around the same price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-12-ARMADA-HUNTING-SURVIVAL-KNIFE-W-SHEATH_W0QQitemZ220160578310QQihZ012QQcategoryZ425 76QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thoughts great appreciated.

The e-bay ad claims the Rockwell Hardness is 54/58 and that the blade is of high carbon steel. I found the same knife at the same price here:

http://www.redsoldier.com/FURY-12-ARMADA-KNIFE;jsessionid=0a000d4a1f4343fe2487d6eb40f09229d 846cbc1e47b.e3eSc34RbhyRe34Pa38Ta38NbNv0?sc=2&category=259

The ad says the knife is a Chinese import and I don't recognize the brand. I would be wary since it 's an unknown and the price is so low. A good quality knife is going to cost a bit more than that. Check out this Ka-bar. I've recently bought one and love it.

http://www.tomarskabars.com/1275_INFO.html

This is the lowest price I could find and S & H is about half of what the e-bay seller is asking. That's my .02 worth.:cool:

warrigal
10-15-2007, 08:57 AM
G'day fellas, New here ( I guess the post count would give that away) I'm into knives a bit.
Stb That knife your looking at is a copy of an Aitor "oso negro"
Take this link to a legit version. I haven't used this seller I just googled up the image.
There are a lot of Aitor copies floating around ebay of late. If you can find Aitor it self they are excelent knives I had one similar to the one pictured years ago and it served me well. The only thing I would say is sometimes the suffer from an overdose of machismo and the "look "can comprimise on the function.
Personally I would look to a seperate blade to saw althought the Sog Revolver seems to be better than most I have Gerber sportsman saw for sawing. And more knives than I know what to do with.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/warrigal/Midsizefixedblades002.jpg
Here are some mid sized users all about the five inch blade length
1.Cold Steel master hunter good really good just the edge grind was a little thickfor my preference.
2. ontario USAF survival knife hard to beat for the money.
3.Germaneye brand copy of a Puma White hunter.
4. Martinii of Finland excelent blade steel very comfortable.
5.Buck Nighthawk Most comfy of those there very solid. Lives in the grab bag in the 4x4.
6 Drop point hunter by Toni Guido. Really does need some work
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/warrigal/foldingsaws.jpg
Saws
1.Opinel Hard to beat for the price.
2.Gerber sportsman. interchangable blades light and cuts like a demon.
3. Buck most comfortable to use but can't change the blades.
How is that for a start?
Carl

Sarge47
10-15-2007, 11:45 AM
G'day fellas, New here ( I guess the post count would give that away) I'm into knives a bit.
Stb That knife your looking at is a copy of an Aitor "oso negro"
Take this link to a legit version. I haven't used this seller I just googled up the image.
There are a lot of Aitor copies floating around ebay of late. If you can find Aitor it self they are excelent knives I had one similar to the one pictured years ago and it served me well. The only thing I would say is sometimes the suffer from an overdose of machismo and the "look "can comprimise on the function.
Personally I would look to a seperate blade to saw althought the Sog Revolver seems to be better than most I have Gerber sportsman saw for sawing. And more knives than I know what to do with.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/warrigal/Midsizefixedblades002.jpg
Here are some mid sized users all about the five inch blade length
1.Cold Steel master hunter good really good just the edge grind was a little thickfor my preference.
2. ontario USAF survival knife hard to beat for the money.
3.Germaneye brand copy of a Puma White hunter.
4. Martinii of Finland excelent blade steel very comfortable.
5.Buck Nighthawk Most comfy of those there very solid. Lives in the grab bag in the 4x4.
6 Drop point hunter by Toni Guido. Really does need some work
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/warrigal/foldingsaws.jpg
Saws
1.Opinel Hard to beat for the price.
2.Gerber sportsman. interchangable blades light and cuts like a demon.
3. Buck most comfortable to use but can't change the blades.
How is that for a start?
Carl

Welcome, now go to the introductions forum and introduce yourself properly.

STB
10-15-2007, 12:14 PM
What about toms Browns tracker knife? Its crazy expensive, but seems to have alot to it.and thats what were looking for, a knife that will do everything. Well not everything, but alot. And the high carbon is nice. So if you have to bring out one knife, what would it be?
And thanks for the info on the other knife, it was very useful.

MCBushbaby
10-15-2007, 01:26 PM
What about toms Browns tracker knife? Its crazy expensive, but seems to have alot to it.and thats what were looking for, a knife that will do everything. Well not everything, but alot. And the high carbon is nice. So if you have to bring out one knife, what would it be?
And thanks for the info on the other knife, it was very useful.

The TB Tracker is a bit overrated, in my humble opinion. It's basically a $300-something hatchet/knife with some modifications (baton, wire breaker). I never had a need for a wire breaker in the bush, nor do I find a big different between knives with a baton indent vs a straight back. If I feel the need to chop wood I usually bring a hatchet or fold saw but I could see how a large chop knife would be useful. But one thing I completely disagree with is the shape of the handle and their advertisement of "three ways to hold the knife," aimed at a knife-specific application, hybrid, and hatchet-use... I just feel that I could do the same hand positions on a plain handle. Just my two cents.

warrigal
10-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Survival knives are designed for people who's normal day to day activites don't involve a knife. A bush pilot or travelling sales man for eg. A hunter or fisherman is gunna have a knife on him anyway. $US300 dollars will buy you a good knife and heap of other "last ditch" gear A quick google just showed up a Buck night hawk for $US50 and a CS Master hunter for $US130.
You might well save on weight by having one knife instead of the knife, saw, axe combo but IMO you can really make yourself a lot of work. And if you loose it.. well.
Yes you could do all the jobs required with a one off like the tracker but I'll bet you could do it faster neater and more efficently with the the three piece combo I'm pushing. add a Multi tool and your laughing.
Carl
P.S. The comment about survival knives should be quailfied that a survival knife is a tool suitable to do all things required to survive for a couple days till the fluro orange rescue Gods turn up. But not really the tool you want for extended trips because so many jobs will be so much harder without the right tool.

Sarge47
10-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Survival knives are designed for people who's normal day to day activites don't involve a knife. A bush pilot or travelling sales man for eg. A hunter or fisherman is gunna have a knife on him anyway. $US300 dollars will buy you a good knife and heap of other "last ditch" gear A quick google just showed up a Buck night hawk for $US50 and a CS Master hunter for $US130.
You might well save on weight by having one knife instead of the knife, saw, axe combo but IMO you can really make yourself a lot of work. And if you loose it.. well.
Yes you could do all the jobs required with a one off like the tracker but I'll bet you could do it faster neater and more efficently with the the three piece combo I'm pushing. add a Multi tool and your laughing.
Carl

...a knife no higher priced than $110 myself. My Ka-bar Bull Dozier retails for around $115 but I bought if for around $73 including the S. & H.

GrayWolf
10-15-2007, 07:29 PM
My best friend gave me a Spyderco paramilitary knife for a wedding gift this summer. Said it was the one they (Marines) were carrying with them overseas. Spyderco.com seems to have a pretty wide selection in varying prices. May be worth checking out. I believe they resharpen for free also; if that interests you.

STB
10-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey, it's the other guy in STB, my name's Charles and his is Andrew. I'll put Charles as the title of my posts from now on just to clear up any confusion. We're good friends and it just seemed easier this way since we're both interested in survival information.

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-16021.html

http://www.knife-depot.com/images/product/4_11588.jpg

That knife appears to be higher quality than the last one Andrew posted. Smith and Westen is a little more reputable than a no-name Chinese company.

I quote; a "...drop point hunting knife is an excellent design for the big game hunter. This design generally features a robust, curved blade of relatively thick steel. These features allow the user to cut the skin off the animal using the entire edge of the knife, rather than just the point. This allows for quick skinning and very little damage to the meat. The design of the drop point, also allows for other field cleaning tasks such as gutting and the splitting of the rib cage and pelvis, although a saw or hatchet is the preferred tool for the latter t[w]o tasks."

Big game, skinning with the whole blade, such a knife would be useful, and at around 50$, I'd say a pretty good deal, but I'm just learning, so lemme know what you think.

Charles.

ATough
10-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Kabars are the only knifes for me. they last long stay sharp and can be sharpened easilly.

warrigal
10-15-2007, 10:18 PM
I have a Spyderco endura I can't kill an excellent bit of kit I have got ten times my money out of.
If you are only gunna buy one thing from Spyderco get the 204 sharpmaker the best general purpose sharpener on the planet ( Yes that may be a bold statement but I'll stand behind it)
I sharpen from 3/4inch ( 19mm) Buck ultra light to my hand forged machete. Vege peelers and my axes. My party trick at work while doing the speil about the 204 is to grab a piece of photocopy paper and slice a fillet out of the paper.
Carl
Ok. off topic, sorry.

warrigal
10-15-2007, 10:28 PM
I belive carbon or high end stainless. ( next knife is a Falkniven f1 High end stainless vg10)
a strong point, don't want it to break off.
tacky handle wth no sharp corners.
square spine for batoning or sparking.
no serrations.
solid pomel for crushing.
half guard.
Convex grind.
high fifty's rockwell.
'5 to 6 inch blade.
3/16th or 1/4 inch thick.
secure sheath.
Hows that for a wish list?
Carl.

Sarge47
10-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey, it's the other guy in STB, my name's Charles and his is Andrew. I'll put Charles as the title of my posts from now on just to clear up any confusion. We're good friends and it just seemed easier this way since we're both interested in survival information.

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-16021.html

http://www.knife-depot.com/images/product/4_11588.jpg

That knife appears to be higher quality than the last one Andrew posted. Smith and Westen is a little more reputable than a no-name Chinese company.

I quote; a "...drop point hunting knife is an excellent design for the big game hunter. This design generally features a robust, curved blade of relatively thick steel. These features allow the user to cut the skin off the animal using the entire edge of the knife, rather than just the point. This allows for quick skinning and very little damage to the meat. The design of the drop point, also allows for other field cleaning tasks such as gutting and the splitting of the rib cage and pelvis, although a saw or hatchet is the preferred tool for the latter t[w]o tasks."

Big game, skinning with the whole blade, such a knife would be useful, and at around 50$, I'd say a pretty good deal, but I'm just learning, so lemme know what you think.

Charles.

Check this out!

http://www.tomarskabars.com/1275_INFO.html

Sarge47
10-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Gotta tell this, can't help it as it doesn't pertain to survival in the least. Many years ago, back when this Hippie dude who looked like me and stole my idenity was married to his 1st wife, there were two children involved, a boy and a girl. When the boy was 4 yrs old mama up & split to Oklahoma with the kids and dad hadn't heard hardly squat from his oldest son in a loooonnnng time! (That being me of course.) Two weeks ago I got a call from him saying he was coming up from Oklahoma to apologize to me for his rudeness. A week ago he came up and we spent 2 days together. He'll soon be 38, is 6'4" tall, weighs 300 lbs. and is an ex-Marine who survived the Gulf war as he was over there. I couldn't help it brother/sister wolves. I had to give him something to show him how proud I was of him so my original USMC Ka-bar is now his. What can I say?

warrigal
10-16-2007, 12:39 AM
I do love happy endings.
Carl

MCBushbaby
10-16-2007, 09:51 AM
I belive carbon or high end stainless. ( next knife is a Falkniven f1 High end stainless vg10)
a strong point, don't want it to break off.
tacky handle wth no sharp corners.
square spine for batoning or sparking.
no serrations.
solid pomel for crushing.
half guard.
Convex grind.
high fifty's rockwell.
'5 to 6 inch blade.
3/16th or 1/4 inch thick.
secure sheath.
Hows that for a wish list?
Carl.

If you can find the discontinued cold steel srk (carbon V steel), you've hit every point on your wish list.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7eKteLdRvKE (neat video)
http://www.swiatnozy.com.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=102&Itemid=65
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/pix/SRK_350.jpg

warrigal
10-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Sorry guys I'm not looking for a suggestions I was answering the question.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/warrigal/bushbladesII005.jpg
1.Smith and Wesson ( US made not China)
2.customised Buck 147
3.Cold Steel Recon scout
4.Al-Mar pentegon
5.Aristocrate wraith.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/warrigal/carlspsks1001.jpg
A annerverisary pressy from my wife 9years ago A next Gen Ka-Bar. beside my belt survival pack. If any ones interested I'll post some more picks and a break down of contents.
Carl

RobertRogers
10-19-2007, 05:25 AM
Its obvious people love their knives! I like my sog (http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/sog-seal-pup-knife/) - lightweight, rust proof in my wet neck of the woods.

HOP
10-25-2007, 10:06 AM
I have to say if I found the perfect knife I would be unhappy as I so enjoy searching for and trying out many diferent knives . I would hate to go to my knife magizines and see page after page of the same knife. It would be like finding the perfect dog, I think they are all great.

trax
10-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Gotta tell this, can't help it as it doesn't pertain to survival in the least. Many years ago, back when this Hippie dude who looked like me and stole my idenity was married to his 1st wife, there were two children involved, a boy and a girl. When the boy was 4 yrs old mama up & split to Oklahoma with the kids and dad hadn't heard hardly squat from his oldest son in a loooonnnng time! (That being me of course.) Two weeks ago I got a call from him saying he was coming up from Oklahoma to apologize to me for his rudeness. A week ago he came up and we spent 2 days together. He'll soon be 38, is 6'4" tall, weighs 300 lbs. and is an ex-Marine who survived the Gulf war as he was over there. I couldn't help it brother/sister wolves. I had to give him something to show him how proud I was of him so my original USMC Ka-bar is now his. What can I say?

That's awesome Sarge

lumpy
10-27-2007, 04:44 PM
This is kinda off topic.I've been searching for a small pocket knife for my son for his birthday.I wanted to get him an Uncle Henry, only because that is what I started with.That was a no-go,because I discovered that their made in China these days.
Well,I was at Wally World today an I saw a Buck that was what I'd been looking for(375 Duece).I got it home and discovered in very small print that it was made in China.Buck Knives made in China!! I never would have thunk such a thing.How long has this been going on?Is nothing sacred?

warrigal
10-29-2007, 05:56 AM
White mountain kit
The belt pouch has a broad ( nearly full width) velco tab on the back so it will sit on either a thin or even military width belt securely. Although when I first got it it was stiched at the bottom. So it had to be slid on to the belt but I cut the stiching on that. The pot is the smaller of the two "dixies" issued to Australian troops made from quiet thick alloy The pot fills the full pouch and all the contents you can see fit inside the dixie) .
In the front pocket are tea and sugar bags, Some Nylon cord (10ft) 2mm elrid cord (30ft) some iodine wipes,and some bandaids.
Some cut up rubber tubing ( fire helper), a pencil sharpener ( the best tinder maker ever) A tool logic ice card. 10 ft of twisted brass wire, A 4 part roll of tripwire.
Compass a mirrored Silva (Ranger 27?)
A roll of trip wire. a compressed chux cloth.
Commando wire saw, an Australian Army match box, 8 normal matches 4 windproof in a watertight container with a striking pad on the out side
Small Gerber ezy out
Swiss tech pliers
Wire saw
and a full 100mt roll of dental floss ( gotta stick that in a bag before it unravels)
a spliter probe,
small fishing kit ( line flys hooks sinkers swivels razor blade bait) in a film canister.
Swedish folding cup, Swedish fire steel, Gerber ezyout and inova 24/7
Lipbalm and two tampons, Prinstone tech eclipse II led torch ( but I really want another Petzl E+lite for that)
A partially unfolded myla survival bag slips in behind the dixe and Victoriox pen sharpener just about does it.
There is room for some stock cubes and other small stuff but I learnt the hard way not to put the stock cubes in whist in storage. If they leak it is a concentrated salt solution and any thing that can rust, will. There are more photos just say the word and I'll soak up the bandwidth.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/warrigal/WhiteMountainkit1.jpg
Carl
P.S. Lumpy. I think most knife manufactors are getting some done in China Notthe top end obviously but remember that during times of peak demand even Randall was geting Solingen blades ( Long way from Solingen to Peking though), The Spyderco bird line. CRKT Gerber, Cold steel( I think well Taiwan at least) And Buck It is the only way to compete. They may not bragg about the ones being made in China but their websites are jumping up and down about The one still being made in the US. So it not to hard to work out which is which.

HOP
10-29-2007, 06:46 AM
Lumpy there are still some great pocket knives out there you just have to look closely. I give all my grandchildren a Victoronox swiss army knife when they are 8 good quality and a lot of choices.

Beo
10-31-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm interested, but I gotta say my Tracker 2 knife by Tom Brown is great, and sorry Sarge the other knife I pick is Army/Air Force Survival knife. The drop point knife with damascus blade that I have is nice but so pretty I don't wanna hurt it :)

corndog-44
11-03-2007, 05:01 PM
I went through a couple of knife threads here and I must have missed any talk about broken knives.

No matter how high a quality knife you have, there might be one flaw or void in that blade, somewhere. A broken knife in the backwoods... What would you do with that broken knife? Could you utilize it if it were broken? What about the knife section that broke off?

HOP
11-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Look on the bright side if you can us bothe pieces you got two knives all is not lost as a prison guard I have seen knives made out of every concivable materal a broken knife is stil a short knife

warrigal
11-04-2007, 07:15 AM
I don't dispute that any knife could break but I think it might also depend on you being aware of what they are designed to do. I won't dig with a knife. Use it to sharpen a stick to dig with but not dig with a knife. If I think I might be digging but don't need a shovel I have a cheap 1/4 inch chisel I carry for that.
I don't do the one knife does everything trick. I'm doing some pics for another forum stuff carved with just one knife ( nothing fancy "just having a go") I'd be finished if I allowed myself to use a saw.
Right tool for the job.
Carl

RobertRogers
11-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Yes, treat your tools with respect. But a busted knife is still useable, either grind down the remaining blade or attach the broken piece to a new homemade handle.

corndog-44
11-05-2007, 01:35 AM
If I was in the deep woods and have to deal with a broken knife there's a few things I would do. With the broken tip I could make a hoko-type knife. With a primitive blacksmithing set-up I could make a new knife point. Need to make a bellow and I could use an axe or a hatchet for a hammer. If I didn't have these there's always the old trusty rock. A grinder could be a sandstone. The sharpening stone I would already have.

Nativedude
11-05-2007, 02:27 AM
I too respect my knife. I use it only for what it was intended. I simply do not throw, dig, or pry with it. I have been using the same knife for the last 28 years in the woods.

If you do encounter a broken knife, you could make a serviceable cutting tool from a rock, piece of obsidian, broken glass, metal, etc. There are many options to having a broken knife.

Beo
11-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I got several knives, the thing I believe is to use your tools for what they are intended for, don't dig or hammer with a knife (some people hammer with pommel) unless the pommel is made for that like my army/air force survival knife. I would attach a small handle to the broken portion to use as small utility camp knife, and once out of the woods I'd grind the blade down and try to fix the broke knife as best could, although since getting out of the army I have never broken a knife and only did that once in the army.

trax
11-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Part of the blade still intact you can still use it as a cutting tool. a broken piece of blade can be converted into a servicable spear point. If you have the time and the inclination you can re-shape what's left of the blade that's attached,put at least something of a point back on it. At worst, it's now a small digging tool. (shrugs) best thing is still don't break it in the first place though, lol, but like you said, anything can be flawed.

carcajou garou
11-05-2007, 12:53 PM
The broken blade can also be inset to branch/stick and used in the hoko knife style.

Sarge47
11-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm not grinding down any part of it. !st off for that to happen it would have to happen to either my Ka-Bar "Bull" Dozier or My Buck General. I always carry my "back-up" blades, a Buck Vanguard with rubber handle, and my Folding Buck LED Lumina. The only way a knife of mine will break is if there's a manufacturer's defect in them because, like most of you, I don't use a knife for anything but what it's made for. Both the Ka-Bar & the Buck have Lifetime Warranties against manufacturer's defects, so I'd just send the broke knife back when I got home.

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 01:26 PM
i need to buy a good long lasting knife that wont break or rust on me. what should i look for in metal type? stainless steel? anyone suggest some dependable models?

trax
11-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Plenty's been posted already, go through the older knife postings and if you can't decide then ask. But warning, a hundred different preferences will lead to a hundred different answers, lol

Beo
11-08-2007, 01:35 PM
I have several but I always go with my Army/Air Farce Survival Knife and honing stone, I also have the Tracker 2, but one of my favorites is a simple hand made trapper (skinning knife) with curly maple handle.
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/3660/skinnerni1.th.jpg (http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=skinnerni1.jpg)
One of my favorites that I take always. :D But I think it all comes down to individual choice. :D

trax
11-08-2007, 02:01 PM
What's the blade size on the one in the pic Beo? Double e...ya might want to look for something just like that.

Beo
11-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Hand forged 3" blade with Hard Maple handle.6" overall length. Some file work on the blade dress's it up.

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 02:15 PM
which one you think?

www.tomarskabars.com/1275_INFO.html
www.tomarskabars.com/1282_INFO.html
www.tomarskabars.com/1464_INFO.html

Beo
11-08-2007, 02:53 PM
1st one, or send me $40 bucks and I'll make you one like in the pick, no s**t.
Perfect knife in my opinion.

trax
11-08-2007, 02:58 PM
which one you think?

first one, I'm not a big fan of those little serrations if you have cleaning and gutting to do that the second and third ones have.

Sarge47
11-08-2007, 06:09 PM
which one you think?

Man, you got taste! I just recently bought the Ka-Bar "Bull" Dozier" and love it! What's more, I bought it from Tomar's Ka-Bars and got the lowest price I could find as a result!

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 06:27 PM
just bought this, http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/kabar/kab_1212.jpg

marberry
11-08-2007, 08:23 PM
if you want quality for cheep (not fighting knives) buy a buck folder , if you want the next step up buy an alpha hunter, or if you want a fixed blade the 110 special is a timeless classic , i carry a 7" nighthawk and a alpha hunter folding edition but thats just personal preference. bowies and combat knives are a big no-no for outdoors work, if your carrying a hatchet dont bother with machetes but iv found my cold steel kukuri magnum to work great chopping wood or clearing brush alike

Beo
11-08-2007, 09:06 PM
I frigg'n hate K-bar knives... stupid junk crap pig stickers... lol :D Go traditional boy!!!

Beo
11-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey Smok welcome back... do not leave this forum.

jose lobo
11-08-2007, 10:26 PM
i would like to share things that i have learned my 16 year though out the world.
live and hunting with the natives, in many regions.
i have change my beliefs on many thing. knifes as well.
i only using a 25' machete,($5) for everything,, i mean everything.. from cutting down a tree, axing firewood, shaving the hair off and skinning a wild borer,
i have learn a way to sharpen a machete sharper than a new buck out of the display window,,( i can go into detail if you would like to learn the technique)

because of it flexibility and thinness, it can be sharpen like a razor,,
the way you bend it, while using a special file they call a leama,

it has become one of the best things i have learn down here, and i would love to sharer it with you all...

Sarge47
11-08-2007, 10:29 PM
i would like to share things that i have learned my 16 year though out the world.
live and hunting with the natives, in many regions.
i have change my beliefs on many thing. knifes as well.
i only using a 25' machete,($5) for everything,, i mean everything.. from cutting down a tree, axing firewood, shaving the hair off and skinning a wild borer,
i have learn a way to sharpen a machete sharper than a new buck out of the display window,,( i can go into detail if you would like to learn the technique)

because of it flexibility and thinness, it can be sharpen like a razor,,
the way you bend it, while using a special file they call a leama,

it has become one of the best things i have learn down here, and i would love to sharer it with you all...

I find that highly interesting amigo, please share that here, perfect spot for it.

Beo
11-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Don't believe it.

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 10:42 PM
yea i need to know how to sharpen my machete and new kabar

Beo
11-08-2007, 10:44 PM
ditch the machete its a waste, dude.

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 10:49 PM
yea right look what he just said lol how about i not be such a pussy and multiply my outdoor abilities by learning to carry a little weight?

marberry
11-08-2007, 10:57 PM
i carry a cold steel kukuri magnum machete and have since ditched my hatchet , using a machete for skinning is just stupid , but try a machete you might like it , its all a matter of preference

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 11:04 PM
i dont see why using anything that can get the skin off for skinning is stupid. kukri shape is best why?

marberry
11-08-2007, 11:09 PM
it has great weight balance for chopping firewood , and i think it looks cool lol

jose lobo
11-09-2007, 02:29 AM
ok... here we go,, i would not have believed it myself, being from your world,
but first i must say , i don't lie!
my machete is sharper than anything you all got.
and when i dull it down, i can sharpen it right back
up to 2 foot razor blade in about 5 minutes.

the most important thing is getting the file(about 6 inches) ready,, that is very important,, you must grind the file to become a very sharp knife itself on one side,
then you sick the tip of the machete into a tree or something that can hold it good,,
then with your knee or with just pressure you bend the machete into a semi arch. not quite a half moon.. then with the file you scrape the metal down off the blade.
about 1 inch on both sides , the full length,, as you scrap, little spiral sliver of shiny machete metal fall all over the place.
i have sharpen knifes, my whole life, and this blew me away.. i will never go back,,

I can send you all a video is you tell me how you would like me to post it..
it is worth learning,,
also, we are killing a pig this weekend, and i can send you a video of us shaving it's hair, and chopping it up,and yes all with a machete!

FVR
11-09-2007, 02:40 AM
Lobo,

A month back, I would not have believe ya, but while doing a boring permangenate injection, I decided to do a little work on my machete in the truck.

Clamped it down on a table and took a file to it. First one side, then the other. Then I took my diamond course stone to it, wearing leather gloves of course. What good that would have done as when I got done the machete was razor sharp.

Fine files are what I always use to sharpen my knives followed by stone and a leather strap aka my buckskinning belt.

jose lobo
11-09-2007, 02:54 AM
i love knifes, of all sizes, and styles, and i still do,,please dont get me wrong, but
after hanging out with these people of the machete, i have learned may things.
i came with all these high tec blades, and these guys put me, and my knifes to shame,, i had a knife for skinning, and gutting, and one for the joints,and a saw for bone...

i would really like to post a video,, what is the best way?? can we do it on this sight?

jose lobo
11-09-2007, 03:18 AM
the one thing that is had to explain,, is it is not like you taking a stone to your knife,,,
this style is not like that at all... this is taking the metal down on the first inch of the blade( the full distance) to a paper thin, blade,, it is not like sharing you buck, and just sanding down the edge,,( this is like making one full inch of your knife ( most knifes are not even an inch wide) thin as a razor as well as sharp as one.

its amazing, that i was once so think headed that i would not believe anything new,,eather.. i guess it just take time tell you realize that the world is full of things to learn.

MedicineWolf
11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Sorry mr. lobo but up here in Montana your machete is pretty useless, I've tracked and hunted most of the northern US and up into Canada for over ternty years and never needed a machete, maybe in the jungles of Costa Rica you need it. There's nothing in the wilderness that I can't handle with my knife, and any blade over 6 maybe 7 inches is useless for skinning North American game.

jose lobo
11-09-2007, 12:03 PM
medicine wolf,,
I understand there are many ways to skin a cat!
I am not telling everyone to though your bucks out, but, i am just sharing something i have learn, (and i can never unlearn it!) Is that not what this sight is about???

As i came from Colorado, and lived in BC spending many year doing, what you are doing now!
Then traveled the world looking at new ways of doing things. opening my mind to new ways, and learning thing that are not in any book, for culture that have been doing it forever.
Please, share something that i dont know, with me, and i will be impressed with you.
and I am sure there are many things, my friend. please share!

as far as knifes go, there are only a few country's in the world that think a 4 inch knife is more than a toy, or a kitchen utensil. sorry to say.

I still own a nice collection of knifes from the, good old north,, I just don't use them much anymore.

marberry
11-09-2007, 01:46 PM
in the north east manitoba wilderness a machete is a necessity , same as north west BC . tons of places in canada where using a machete makes traveling through the bush much easier.

FVR
11-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Ya know, really don't give a crap what ya'll carry, as long as you know how to use what you "do" carry.

Nothing worse than a boot greenhorn (Lt.) with a big knife who does not know how to use it. Bowies have their place, as do machettes and skinning knives.

For skinning, I'm sticking with my chert and obsidian tools.

Rob
11-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Responding to the original post I would recomend a good carbon steel over stainless steel. looks more rustic and can be used with flint and native cherts to spark a fire.

Sarge47
11-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Responding to the original post I would recomend a good carbon steel over stainless steel. looks more rustic and can be used with flint and native cherts to spark a fire.

Carbon steel rusts a lot easier than Stainless Steel and should be used only in "dry" areas.:cool:

Sarge47
11-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Lobo,

A month back, I would not have believe ya, but while doing a boring permangenate injection, I decided to do a little work on my machete in the truck.

Clamped it down on a table and took a file to it. First one side, then the other. Then I took my diamond course stone to it, wearing leather gloves of course. What good that would have done as when I got done the machete was razor sharp.

Fine files are what I always use to sharpen my knives followed by stone and a leather strap aka my buckskinning belt.

In one of my older Boy Scout Field Book's, they show how to use the file method on an axe to make it razor sharp.:eek:

Rob
11-09-2007, 06:56 PM
If you take care of your cabon knives they will last you a life time. Ive had mine for many years it is just part of your routine to check and take care of all of your equipment.

FVR
11-09-2007, 08:13 PM
People pass up sharpening with file, don't know why. They are great, but you can ruin a blade if you don't know what you're doing.

I sharpen by basic metal broadheads with a file, finish off with a leather strapping.

MedicineWolf
11-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Didn't mean to offend anyone, yeah Lobo this forum is about sharing info and I was trained since I was a young kid by my grandfather and his friends how to live off the land like my forefathers, the army taught me a little but not everything now I live up in northern Montana in my own handmade A-frame cabin, hunt for my food (not saying I don't go to the store) and fish using the tools of my heritage. So I know my way around the forests just a little, I just never seen no need for machete even in Panama I used my knife..

FVR
11-09-2007, 10:13 PM
I see there are are a few people here that have been down to Fort Sherman.

MedicineWolf
11-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Yup, but Sherman and Fort Amador were turned over to Panama in 1999.

FVR
11-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Yeh. 2006 the USMC opened Jungle Warfare Training in Oki.

I went through Ft. Sherman back in 84. I hated it and loved it at the same time.

Nativedude
11-10-2007, 08:35 PM
This is the knife I have been carrying for the last 35 years. Got it from my Grandpa when I was 8 years old. It's a Schrade, with a 4" blade, leather handle, and it has a high carbon steel blade. It holds an edge excellently and is easy to re-sharpen.

scabbyota
11-11-2007, 11:24 PM
What length fix blade knife do you prefer ? 5 1/4 inch is my favorite for all around use.

Nativedude
11-12-2007, 01:38 AM
I have a Schrade fixed blade with a 4" blade. It's 8.5" o.a.l. I have been using it, in the woods, for the last 35 years. It has a high carbon steel blade that sharpens easily and holds its edge beautifully! ;)

MedicineWolf
11-12-2007, 11:34 AM
That is all a matter of choice, as I prefer a 4inch patch knife, but a good of 6 to 8 inches knife along with it, alot of people I know say anything over 6in. is a waste of blade. I disagree as it all depends on the situation and what you prefer. I carry a 4in. patch knife and an 8in. hunter, mine were handmade one by a friend and one I ordered. I believe in spending the money on the knife as it is the single most important survival item you need.

HOP
11-12-2007, 12:07 PM
For me a 5" blade in a fixed blade and 4" lock back but I like big knifes just that smaller blades are more useful for most task . If a person had to use a knife for defense 7" might be nice. Most knives that are described for bushcraft are about 4" If I am planing to cut saplings for shelter frames a 9" chopper is what I like. I find Swiss Army Knives indespencible as well. I would say a Nesmuk but am in the process of modifying a old hickory into one now and will see.

SemperParatus
11-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I believe in spending the money on the knife as it is the single most important survival item you need.

I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree. The word "item" is the basis for agreement as that eliminates knowledge as an option. Once a friend of mine (Creek/Cherokee/Scotch Irish) made a simple demonstration to me with a couple of rocks. He struck one against the other a single blow and knocked off a sliver. He then picked up the sliver and proceeded to easily shave hair on his arm with it. When I thought of the countless hours I'd spent trying to get that kind of an edge on a knife blade, I knew I had what Dr. Phil calls an "Aha moment". I'm never without knives but I also know now that if I ever am, I'll be ok. Knives are easy. Just ask any inmate.

carcajou garou
11-12-2007, 01:04 PM
I use a 4" blade in most applications, backed up with my "go to" knife with a 7" blade. I also carry a 'hawk or a small ax.

MedicineWolf
11-12-2007, 01:06 PM
I use a 4" blade in most applications, backed up with my "go to" knife with a 7" blade. I also carry a 'hawk or a small ax.

Like your style :D

explodingearth
11-12-2007, 01:07 PM
inmates dont make knives they make shanks. simple stabbing instruments. you rarely see any blades in prison with a sharp edge other that the razor slashers but they steal the razorz

explodingearth
11-12-2007, 01:08 PM
small axe vs. machete

which would you all say is best? i think that a machete can serve all the same uses as an axe and has a longer reach

carcajou garou
11-12-2007, 01:13 PM
It all depends on what you want to do, and even more so your ability with either.
Being limited to only one I would defer to my small ax or "hawk. They are very sharp and with handle removed can be used like a palm knife (ULU)

HOP
11-12-2007, 06:01 PM
inmates dont make knives they make shanks. simple stabbing instruments. you rarely see any blades in prison with a sharp edge other that the razor slashers but they steal the razorz

I had a co-worker stabbed in the liver with a paper clip he almost didnt make it to surgery , it is not so much what you got but how you aply what you got I have seen a fair stabbing weapon made from a styrofoam cup melted down and I have seen straight up knives coming out of the shop they are al caled shanks but come in many forms.

Sarge47
11-12-2007, 06:06 PM
That is all a matter of choice, as I prefer a 4inch patch knife, but a good of 6 to 8 inches knife along with it, alot of people I know say anything over 6in. is a waste of blade. I disagree as it all depends on the situation and what you prefer. I carry a 4in. patch knife and an 8in. hunter, mine were handmade one by a friend and one I ordered. I believe in spending the money on the knife as it is the single most important survival item you need.

Gotta agree here with MW. It's all what the individual wants. Some folks get by with one blade, and some of those are 4" or so long and some a lot longer. I have a Buck Folder with a 2 1/2" blade, a Buck Vanguard with a 4" blade, a Buck general with a 7" Blade, and my Ka-Bar Bull-Dozier with a 7" Blade. I'd use any of the fixed blades in any situation not requiring fine work. Instead of a machete I'd go with Ontario knive's R-TAK-II with it's 10" Blade,backed up, perhaps with their RAT-7 with D-2 steel. If I want another 4" fixed blade knife for a good Survival knife I'd look into Gerber's "LMF-II" although I hear the "Mora knife" is pretty good with the same size blade.:cool:

dilligaf2u2
11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
I carry a Frost Mora EDC. It is a good knife. I prefer a 4 to 6 inch knife. My go to knife was a M7 Bennett till I changed the handle. I started caring the Frost about a year ago and put the M7 on my pack for field use only.

I have a Buck Light for my folder. I also have several types of SAK's.

The right tool for the job.

Don

sh4d0wm4573ri7
11-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Have several lengths styles and makes depends on the job at hand

jose lobo
11-14-2007, 10:07 AM
hey there,
i spoke of the 20 inches machete last week, and i would like to share, a couple clips with you.. about how you can sharpen a machete because of the fact that you can bend it, and get it very thin ,,,, making it razor sharp.... lot of the trick too, is the file,

like i said, against all the harsh works against the machete,,,, i am not saying to thought your bucks away... im just saying to try out new ideas.

if i could have only one tool out there in the bush,, for the rest of my life,,,, it would be a 20' machete.
this video is hard to see ,, but there are little shavings of metal coming up on every stroke of file,,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTX6laT6k9c

granted this is a banana plant, and can be cut with a machete, but this is 8 inche at the bottom, and it must be sharp to thought it in one hit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N74dHf2ACXs

if anyone would like more explanations, on this techniques. let me know.

Beo
11-14-2007, 10:29 AM
If I could have one tool out in the bush for the rest of my life it would be Jose Lobo to do all the work :D jk great video dude, thanks.

Ole WV Coot
11-14-2007, 10:51 AM
I am never without my Swiss Army knife and my SOG folder. I carry an EK that will hold anyone's attention. I have a couple of versions of the Hideaway knife and ALWALYS have a Beretta 45 handy ( with a carry permit of course ). I do have a machete on my ATV. Also a Buck and Gerber in a fender bag. I tend to stay away from metal detectors.

Beo
11-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Ole WV Coot, what Ek knife do you have?

Ole WV Coot
11-14-2007, 09:52 PM
The one I carry has the blade of a Mod 3, (edge & 1/2). Made in Richmond, VA a little after 1982. Has a straight guard and replaced handles which are Walnut with common brass rivits. Four digit #. I don't remember if I put the straight guard on or not. I must have cut back the handles some since I now have a one inch extended tang.

jose lobo
11-15-2007, 01:20 AM
hey there,
i spoke of the 20 inches machete last week, and i would like to share, a couple clips with you.. about how you can sharpen a machete because of the fact that you can bend it, and get it very thin ,,,, making it razor sharp.... lot of the trick too, is the file,

like i said, against all the harsh works against the machete,,,, i am not saying to thought your bucks away... im just saying to try out new ideas.

if i could have only one tool out there in the bush,, for the rest of my life,,,, it would be a 20' machete.
this video is hard to see ,, but there are little shavings of metal coming up on every stroke of file,,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTX6laT6k9c

granted this is a banana plant, and can be cut with a machete, but this is 8 inche at the bottom, and it must be sharp to thought it in one hit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N74dHf2ACXs

if anyone would like more explanations, on this techniques. let me know.

Nativedude
11-16-2007, 02:31 AM
A knife, like a car or truck, is a personal choice. I have been all over the world with my 4" Schrade; All 50 states in the U.S., Australia, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Guatemala, Mexico, Yukon Territory, B.C., New Foundland, etc. I have used it in boreal forests, deserts, jungles, arctic terrain, etc. It has done everything I have ever needed it to do.

I see people carrying knives with blades as big 13" and machetes as big as 40" (o.a.l.) If that's what they choose, so be it!

My knife is 8 1/4" o.a.l., is all I need, and I don't get hassled when I carry it in urban areas (other than in CA) and I don't go there!

I have even packed it in my check-in luggage when traveling, post 9/11, and have never had any trouble.

When people ask me what I think is the best knife, I reply; The best knife for "me" is my Schrade. . . .The best knife for "you", is what ever you like and feels comfortable for you to handle and use. Knowing how to use a knife is the #1 priority. :D

HOP
11-16-2007, 06:57 AM
This is the knife I have been carrying for the last 35 years. Got it from my Grandpa when I was 8 years old. It's a Schrade, with a 4" blade, leather handle, and it has a high carbon steel blade. It holds an edge excellently and is easy to re-sharpen.

Man that yellow tape makes me think you have studied the 98.6 methods by Cody Lungren

explodingearth
11-16-2007, 02:52 PM
if you think about it 911 actually helped the us. what are the chances of something like that happening again they showed us our security flaws. funny thing is thats how it goes in the US nothing is ever improved witohut hundreds of people dying first. NEVEr any proactive measures being taken