PDA

View Full Version : Scuppernongs (scupplins)

your_comforting_company
08-07-2010, 11:37 AM
I mentioned in another thread that these were almost ripe around here. Deliciously sweet, and full of juice. Wild grapes turn purple and are small, scupplins turn bronze and are small, muscadines are big and purple, and bullaces are big and bronze.
These are scuppernongs. One of the ladies my mom does yard work for has many vines around the edges of the yard, and she said I could come pick all I wanted. Most were still green and hard, but a few were already soft. I picked the few that were ready and will go check again tomorrow to see if many more are ready.
This is one of my favorite things to eat/snack on, when wading the creeks or just walking in the woods.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg184/your_comforting_company/plants/DSCN4756.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg184/your_comforting_company/plants/DSCN4751.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg184/your_comforting_company/plants/DSCN4757.jpg

The tree was overgrown with the vine and everywhere there was one attached, there were 10. This cluster of vines is near a sprinkler so it gets some of the water runoff. I imagine that's why this one is doing so good.

At the point where the stem attaches, you nip a little to bust the thick skin, then squeeze out the innards. It has a few seeds in it, they can be eaten too, but aren't as good as if you spit the seeds out and just eat the pulp.
Some folks say they tear up their stomach, so you gotta try a few before you eat a bellyfull. They don't affect me in any way, except for their addictive deliciousness... I could sit under a vine and eat them all day.. I'd get absolutely nothing done!

LOVE 'EM!!

Old GI
08-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Heard a rumor during my misspent youth that they make really nice wine.:innocent:

your_comforting_company
08-10-2010, 05:42 AM
that wasn't a rumor (hic!) :wine:

Around here, folks seem to prefer using the muscadines over scupplins. Maybe because the scupps are a little more tart? Maybe it's color. Not sure, but they sure are delicious!

welderguy
08-10-2010, 08:06 AM
In Texas they call them wild mustang Grapes.
yesterday while driving to a customers house I noticed a fence line covered in the purple grapes about a half mile stretch. I will be taking a bucket with me when I go back later this month:innocent:

canid
08-10-2010, 10:08 AM
we get grapes much similar to those all over california. they only get about 1/3" at the largest [as in those that grow along watercourses] and they are one of the only plants that keep the eucalyptus in check.

what the fruit lacks in size, it makes up for in flavor. taste and aroma much like concords, but like wild strawberries, far better concentrated.

the major downside is that while the seeds are small, the fruit is as well, so there's not much flesh to them, and the taste of grapeseed oil if you accidentally crunch into one is a bit on the strong side.

i've been meaning to play around and see if i can't make the leaves pallatable. they are astringent in much the same way bananna peels are.

Erratus Animus
08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
They are easy to grow and are disease resistant which is why their root stock was use to replant the vineyards in France. the stock came from muscadine stock from Grape vine Texas. cool huh :) I have a small vineyard and I do mean small. Only 6 vines but each vine produces near 80+lbs of grapes. Which is enough to keep me and all the family in wine and jelly. the vines I have produce a fruit around 19-20% sugar which is optimum for wine and jelly!

The wine is easy to make and after approx 2-3yrs for a red it will be ready for consumption.

The wild varieties are male and female vines so you will need both but most patented varieties are self pollinators. I get my vines from Isom's Nursery.