PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Red Cross giving away new car, or Amish buggy

Justin Case
08-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Ohio Red Cross giving away new car, or Amish buggy
Sun Aug 1, 2010 8:33 PM EDT

CLEVELAND — To spur blood donations, an Ohio Red Cross chapter is offering people who give a pint of blood the chance to win a car or a horse-drawn buggy.

Spokeswoman Christy Chapman in Cleveland says the Red Cross didn't want to leave its many Amish donors out of the giveaway. The organization's Northern Ohio blood services region includes three counties with one of the nation's largest Amish populations.

The Red Cross regional operation has a board member who is Amish and who is arranging to have a buggy custom made for the contest, which wraps up Sept. 6.

Blood donors who prefer a more modern mode of transportation can win a 2010 Nissan Versa.

___

Information from: The Plain Dealer, http://www.cleveland.com

kyratshooter
08-02-2010, 11:22 AM
They're serious! Ohio has more Amish than PA.

They will not drive a car or have a phone in their house but they will shoot a modern in-line, scoped muzzle loader or a compound bow. I never could figure that one out.

Old GI
08-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Given a choice, I'd take the buggy. Must be my very distant Amish ancestors.:innocent:

Justin Case
08-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Personally, Even if I was Amish I would take the car , sell it, And buy a few buggies ,

hunter63
08-02-2010, 01:30 PM
They're serious! Ohio has more Amish than PA.

They will not drive a car or have a phone in their house but they will shoot a modern in-line, scoped muzzle loader or a compound bow. I never could figure that one out.

Doesn't stop them from owning them, they just hire a driver.

And they don't mind using electricity or phone, as long as it's yours.

kyratshooter
08-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Some of them have phones, they just put them in a little house across the road.

Keeping the letter of the law and ignoring the spirit thereof.

At least we don't have to worry about too many Amish trolls on the computer, although they use those for business too.

LowKey
08-02-2010, 09:57 PM
yeah, read about that here:
http://countrylife.lehmans.com/2010/06/30/only-in-kidron-ohio/
Nice little blog on practical things, even if they do tie into their products...

equus
08-03-2010, 11:10 AM
M to..I would much rather have the amish buggy...I am actually looking into having one made at some point.

rudyumans
08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Personally, Even if I was Amish I would take the car , sell it, And buy a few buggies ,

It says a "Horse-drawn buggy" So, it should come with a horse.

I agree I would take the car also, but I would sell it and buy a better car, or a nice HD, instead of a few buggies.

trax
08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
what goes clip clop, clip clop"BANG" clip clop clip clop "BANG"? An Amish drive by shooting.

Rick
08-03-2010, 12:08 PM
They aren't, by chance, giving away Amish girls are they?

trax
08-03-2010, 12:46 PM
They aren't, by chance, giving away Amish girls are they?

These words from a man who belongs to a wilderness survival forum because his imagination tends to run wild on him.

rudyumans
08-03-2010, 12:51 PM
These words from a man who belongs to a wilderness survival forum because his imagination tends to run wild on him.

Survival comes in many forms, entertaining Armish girls or being entertained by Armish girls is probably not one of them

trax
08-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Survival comes in many forms, entertaining Armish girls or being entertained by Armish girls is probably not one of them

you mean there might be no surviving it? whoa, think we've gone a bit off track here

rudyumans
08-03-2010, 01:03 PM

you mean there might be no surviving it? whoa, think we've gone a bit off track here

Sorry, I got lost with the words Survival, Imagination, and Wild in your post.:smash:

BENESSE
08-03-2010, 01:11 PM

You don't know Rick.
Of course he might just plan to trade in the girls for valuable prizes.
(wait 'til 2D & Ken weigh in on this)

Rick
08-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Here's a pic from a little known Spring break flick called Amish Girls Gone Wild.

http://www.thousandwords.us/images/oconnor/amish-girls-2.jpg

trax
08-03-2010, 01:28 PM
now that right there is the definition of risque people (it's pronounced kind of..riskay 2d, not risk cue)

rudyumans
08-03-2010, 01:35 PM
You don't know Rick.
Of course he might just plan to trade in the girls for valuable prizes.
(wait 'til 2D & Ken weigh in on this)

Are you saying that these Amish girls are invaluable or have no value?

I happen to know some Amish girls down here. ( I think they are Amish. Not 100% sure) They are snowbirds and have a small store with the best sticky buns in town. People wait in line for 1/2 hour to taste their buns.( I am not saying anything about this one. All I know is, I am not making it up)

BENESSE
08-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Are you saying that these Amish girls are invaluable or have no value?

Not at all...I just don't equate them with prizes like a set of stake knives, a salad spinner or a Coleman Lantern. (something perhaps Rick might be interested in) Also don't forget, that Mrs. Rick might have a say in the matter. :sneaky2:

rudyumans
08-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Mrs. Rick "might" have a say in the matter? I know what Mrs. Rudy would say.

BENESSE
08-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Mrs. Rick "might" have a say in the matter? I know what Mrs. Rudy would say.

I know what Mrs. B would do.

Rick
08-03-2010, 02:39 PM
best sticky buns in town.

Wait until Mrs. Rudy reads that!

rudyumans
08-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Another smart a** remark comes to mind, but you would ban me for life for that one. (and probably rightfully so)

Rick
08-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I just meant that Mrs. Rudy probably would be insulted if she thought you enjoyed the Amish baked goods better than hers. :innocent:

BENESSE
08-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I just meant that Mrs. Rudy probably would be insulted if she thought you enjoyed the Amish baked goods better than hers. :innocent:

Unh huh...
Just what I thought you meant.

rudyumans
08-03-2010, 04:48 PM

I know what you meant. I just wasn't sure about the sticky part.

huntermj
08-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Wow this went down hill fast!
oh and the sticky part is the best part.... of the baked goods.

rudyumans
08-03-2010, 07:47 PM
It's all JC's fault LOL

Rick
08-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Most things are. I read last week about a potential tsunami in South America. Right there in the article, "An alarm was sounded Justin Case."