PDA

View Full Version : "Books" Interesting reads........NO Not Manuals

Sourdough
07-31-2010, 04:59 AM
I mostly read about 1850 to 1950 Alaska and Africa. However, I really enjoyed "One Second After" (Thanks Crash).

Not interested in survival manuals even a little bit. Any good reads like "One Second After"...........? (Easy on the religious sub-text).

crashdive123
07-31-2010, 07:03 AM
I just ordered The Overton Window. I'll let you know.

randyt
07-31-2010, 09:00 AM
I've been reading a book called we live in alaska. it was published in the early fifties I believe. another that I can't remember the title is rat river trapper or mad trapper. I found it interesting for that fella was one tough hombre. narratives of a trapping life wrote in 1922 is a good read too, it has several short stories. some of the older fur-fish-game and hunter-trapper -trader has some good short stories too.

Winnie
07-31-2010, 10:22 AM
I apreciate you may mean grown-up books, but if you like, I can send you my copy of Children of the New Forest by Captain Marryat. In a sense a survival story. I also recommend The Real Heroes of Telemark by Ray Mears. A cracking good telling of a true WW2 mission. Also, have you ever read Last of the Mohicans by James Fennimore Cooper? I know these may not be what you're looking for but they really are a good read. Oh and another that may grab you, but I have lost my copy, is Popski's Private Army by Vladimir Peniakoff another wartime true story.
I'm assuming you're getting the jump on being holed up by snow this winter.(lucky so-and-so)
They're probably nothing like what you want but I can recommend all as a good read.

BENESSE
07-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Two books by Ken Follett:
The Pillars of the Earth & World Without End.

Historical novels (fiction), powerfully authentic and gripping.
Center around 12th century feudal England and the building of the greatest gothic cathedral the world has ever known.

I only wish I could read them again for the first time.

oldtrap59
07-31-2010, 12:09 PM
As randyt said the old issues of Hunter Trader Trapper and Fur Fish and Game are filled with good reads. The short stories by Maurice Decker are what got me collecting these magazines in the begining. However the old issues are filled with alot of good stories and I spend hours with them. The Decker short stories were reprinted in the late 1900's by Fur Fish and Game and aren't to hard to find or near as pricy.

oldtrap

Sourdough
07-31-2010, 01:26 PM
At this time, I am wanting to read another book like One Second After, as I found it both educational, and a interesting look a human behavior, for example, I had not thought about the massive number of suicide's. Note: I don't have much human contact.

Sourdough
08-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Please........Pretty Please, There has to be something.

crashdive123
08-01-2010, 05:20 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Overton-Window-Glenn-Beck/dp/1439184305 Scroll down to Product Description. I'll let you know how I like it.

BENESSE
08-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Please........Pretty Please, There has to be something.

I'm begging you to read the two books by Ken Follett. If 'Burning Daylight" is any indication, I'll hazard a guess that you'd love these books. It's not what you'd expect...it's not something you'd pick up...but I promise you, you won't be sorry.

Sourdough
08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Overton-Window-Glenn-Beck/dp/1439184305 Scroll down to Product Description. I'll let you know how I like it.

OK, I am going to order that one, Now I need one more to get the order over $25.00 for the break on shipping. Ideas........? I have never read any Ann Frank, or any Atlas Babylon stuff. Maybe get get Fen Fal's Book, but I feel like I know that subject, maybe Jim Rawles book, not patriots, the one about, gets you ready.

Lady B. Right now I am wanting not so much entertainment, but I am want to fill in possible future events for the next 6 years.

crashdive123
08-01-2010, 07:19 PM
SD - it should arrive tomorrow, so I have not read it yet. Just looked interesting to me.

Pal334
08-01-2010, 07:47 PM
SD, or anyone else for that matter. I did a free download of two books in PDF format (again I forget where, or who gave me the source site). One is two volumes, and the second book is one volume. Both are fairly good, and are written about survival post natural disaster (national and worldwide scale) including the upheaval of government. They are entitled "We Interrupt this program" (one volume) and the other book is two volumes, first entitled "Deep Winter" and the second volume is "Shatter"

If anyone wants them, pm me with an email address and I will send them to you. I keep them on my computer and just read it from here rather than printing them.

hoosierarcher
08-02-2010, 07:05 PM
There is a book about the misadventures of a band of friends that go out once a month and each month one of their number is subject to a vicious practical joke by the others in the group. The catastrophic after effects of a night of Taco Bell, cheap beer and a chocolate milk shake loaded with veterinary laxative. It's called "The Mourning After"
(this is a joke not a real book just in case 2D2Q reads this)

tipacanoe
08-02-2010, 08:09 PM
I have read several books by Stewart Edward White, who wrote from 1900 to about 1920, and his insight is really quite something. I have enjoyed the language as written then, and almost always at the end is a darn fine story. Not always about surviving but if you are looking for a good story, that may make you think a bit, I would recommend his books

CoyoteBC
08-04-2010, 02:08 AM
Kabloona is a book about an early jesuit priest among the Eskimos.
I read it years ago

finallyME
08-04-2010, 10:37 AM
You said Africa...so.........

"Allan Quatermain" and "King Salomon's Mines".

Sam
08-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Lucifer's Hammer, it was written by Jerry Pournell and Larry Niven. Here is the plot summary.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lucifer's Hammer is a post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, first published in 1977. It was nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 1978.[1] A comic book adaptation was published by Innovation Comics in 1993.

Lucifer's Hammer

Cover of 1977 Fawcett paperback edition
Author Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle
Country United States
Language English
Genre(s) Science fiction novel
Publisher Playboy Press/HarperCollins
Publication date 1977
Media type Print (Hardcover & Paperback)
Pages 494 pp
ISBN 0-872-23487-8
OCLC Number 2966712
Dewey Decimal 813/.5/4
LC Classification PZ4.N734 Lu PS3564.I9

[edit] Plot summary
The story details a cometary impact on Earth, the end of civilization, and the battle for the future. It encompasses the discovery of the comet, the LA social scene, and a cast of diverse characters whom fate seems to smile upon and allow to survive the massive cataclysm and the resulting tsunamis, plagues, famines and battles amongst scavengers and cannibals.

When the wealthy amateur astronomer Tim Hamner discovers a new comet, dubbed Hamner-Brown, it comes to the attention of documentary producer Harvey Randall, who does a television series on the subject. Political lobbying by California Senator Arthur Jellison eventually gets a joint Apollo-Soyuz (docking with the second flight worthy Skylab) mission into space to study the comet, dubbed "The Hammer" by popular media, which is expected to pass close to the Earth. Despite assurances by the scientific community that a collision with Earth is extremely unlikely, the public, fueled with religious fervor by the evangelist Henry Armitage, begins to hoard food and supplies in anticipation.

Eventually, to the shock of scientists at JPL in Pasadena who could not track the trajectory accurately enough due to the comet's constant outgassing, the Hammer does fall, breaking up into several smaller comets that strike around the world with devastating results, striking parts of Europe, Africa, the Gulf of Mexico, and both the Pacific and Atlantic. The strikes cause volcanoes and earthquakes along all major fault-lines in California, including the San Andreas fault, heavily damaging the region. Several of the fragments land in the ocean and further damage is caused by the resulting tsunamis, which destroy several major coastal cities around the world, including Los Angeles. As the survivors contend with weeks of non-stop rain, flooding destroys practically every dam and levee, leaving a search for food a top survival priority. Civilization crumbles as people use the few remaining weapons to protect themselves from each other.

After "Hammerfall," Hamner goes from being a meek, affluent astronomer to a determined survivor with his new wife Eileen. Randall shows true leadership abilities under fire, while Jellison and other land owners, farmers and ranchers become lords over their fiefdoms and the serfs they employ to provide labor, skills and security. Jellison forms the 'centerpost' of these fiefs, dubbed "the stronghold", where he presides over a small population of survivors who wish to retain civilization. The tone of life after "Hammerfall" is one where those who do not have valuable professions for a world without power or civilization are relegated to "laborers", regardless of their socio-economic status or profession before the Fall. For example, while doctors are still valuable, lawyers are unneeded. Soldiers and police are diminished and provide security alongside gang members and bikers, both within the Stronghold and within the New Brotherhood Army, the legions of Reverend Henry Armitage, who indoctrinates his followers into cannibalism to secure their loyalty. Jellison's stronghold is located slightly east or northeast of Springville, California, where the North Fork and the Middle Fork of the Tule River meet. West of this stronghold, the city of Porterville has been destroyed by the collapse of the dam at Lake Success. A portion of the comet breaking off and splashing down in the Gulf of California has turned the former San Joaquin Valley into a swampy lake. Other small enclaves of civilization exist in this area, until a band of cannibalistic zealots led by Reverend Armitage and an army of heavily armed soldiers begin a rampage through the area, culminating in a series of battles with the inhabitants of Jellison's stronghold.

I will warn you it was very depressing.
-Sam

Sourdough
08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Odd, there is not a book that looks (In detail) at the collapse of "Modern" social orders, like Somalia, Kosavo and other city/states that have decomposed in the last 15 years.

BENESSE
08-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Well now, here you go SD:

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared M. Diamond

In the prologue, Diamond summarizes Collapse in one paragraph:
"This book employs the comparative method to understand societal collapses to which environmental problems contribute. My previous book (Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies), had applied the comparative method to the opposite problem: the differing rates of buildup of human societies on different continents over the last 13,000 years. In the present book focusing on collapses rather than buildups, I compare many past and present societies that differed with respect to environmental fragility, relations with neighbors, political institutions, and other "input" variables postulated to influence a society's stability."

Winnie
08-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Here you go Sourdough

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1841768057/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=014026101X&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1GJ078SRYSRAZ5YHW14G

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1850652325/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=014026101X&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1GJ078SRYSRAZ5YHW14G

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fall-Yugoslavia-Misha-Glenny/dp/014026101X

Just a quick search of Amazon!

mountain mama
08-04-2010, 12:59 PM
The World Ends in Hickory Hollow by Ardath Mayhar
Wastelands by John Joseph Adams