PDA

View Full Version : know any good trapping methods?

EagleScout
07-30-2010, 11:48 PM
a few friends and i are planning a campout using nothing but knives (multi-tools), flint& steel rope and some water. maybe a tarp. and yes we left out one very important thing on purpose and thats food. anyone have any successful methods of traping small game? or maybe catching a fish? using the tools we are planning to bring.

Ken
07-31-2010, 12:03 AM
This is the trap I use most often. :innocent:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o173/Euqram/cart.png

Rick
07-31-2010, 12:05 AM
EagleScout, why not trap your were over to our Introduction section and tell us a bit about your self?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813

And you might try the search button at the top of the page. You'll find a ton of posts on trapping and snaring.

huskymill
07-31-2010, 12:09 AM
snares are easy to set if you can find game trails, and squirrel poles are usually effective. just remember that trapping doesn't always work out the way you planned so be sure to set multiple traps.

Rick
07-31-2010, 12:20 AM
And be sure to check your local laws on trapping and snaring, and hunting dates for various animals. And get a license.

huskymill
07-31-2010, 12:29 AM
And be sure to check your local laws on trapping and snaring, and hunting dates for various animals. And get a license.

very good point! i should have remembered that. back when i was in elementary school a friend of mine and i designed and built a live trap for these stray cats that were running around my neighborhood. we ended up catching a raccoon and my mom freaked out and call the animal control officer, who took care of the raccoon and then forced us to "dismantle" the trap, or we would be fined for hunting illegally in a non hunting zone.

Camp10
07-31-2010, 08:35 AM
A freind and I did this back in HS as well. We learned a few things..first, we learned that we can sneak into our parents house without waking them and swipe some deer steaks from the freezer.:innocent:

We ate most anything we could catch. lots of meals were frogs, mouse, snakes, stuff like that. You should also learn at least a few of the plants in your area that can be eaten.

We learned to catch trout by hand in the brook we were near. Find a pool of water with a narrow rapid right above it and hunt there. The trout will go upstream to the fast water and usually move to the side of the rapid. If there is a rock large enough to keep the current off them, they will tuck into the down stream side of it. You can keep your body in front of them and move your arms in from the side. Success rate will be low at first but we did get a few fish meals this way.

One more thing, please stay close to help for this trip. When I did this, we were never more than a few miles away from people. I only mention this because I dont know your experience level, and I dont mean to offend but I am guessing low if you are asking about trapping. Have fun.

your_comforting_company
07-31-2010, 10:07 AM
It's a good idea to have an array of trigger systems. Many of the triggers used in primitive traps are adaptable to different situations and environments. The techniques all apply the same way, sort of like real estate... LOCATION of the trap is very important.
Not taking food means that you won't have extra for bait. There was some discussion a while back about traps without bait. Tripwires and platform traps can be very effective if well placed.
If you know how to make cordage, fishing can be a cinch. If you know how to tightline for catfish, it is just a matter of finding suitable saplings and setting up the rigging. If I might suggest packing a few fish-hooks for your trip, I think you'll find fishing to be a promising prospect for food. If that doesn't fall under your "camping rules", the alternative would be spear fishing which presents a challenge all it's own. I would recommend using a basket-type fish trap, like PTW made on his camping trip.
No matter how you decide to go about it, expect to dedicate much of your time to rigging and seeking, and don't expect a great deal of success.
I wish you luck, and highly recommend packing out a few more supplies. Take food with you, and make one of your "rules" say that you can't touch it on the first day/night. If you don't catch some food, at least your trip won't be cut too short.

BENESSE
07-31-2010, 11:12 AM

Me too. You can trap just about anything. Why only yesterday I caught some salmon and talapia, and get this...people have been know to snare some pork chops too!!!

2dumb2kwit
07-31-2010, 08:22 PM
know any good trapping methods?

If your after good looking women, I'd say that the best bait is probably large sums of cash.:tongue_smilie: LOL

BENESSE
07-31-2010, 08:43 PM
If your after good looking women, I'd say that the best bait is probably large sums of cash.:tongue_smilie: LOL

Have you been talking to Rick?

Ken
07-31-2010, 08:45 PM
know any good trapping methods?

No matter how wealthy you are, tell 'em all that you're flat broke. :innocent:

BENESSE
07-31-2010, 08:46 PM

Oh, that'll work....

Ken
07-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Oh, that'll work....

I quit chasing, or even trying to attract, the gold-diggers years ago.

The BMW stayed in the garage and I drove the truck.

The law school ring came off my finger.

I wore a Timex.

I only carried small bills.

When they asked what I did for a living, I told 'em I was a teacher. (I was a teacher - I taught law.)

Think of my method as "Ken's Bimbo Repellant." I had two long-term experiences that taught me to never leave home without it.

Got myself a wonderful & beautiful lady who wasn't attracted to me because of dollars. There's a lot to be said for that.

BENESSE
07-31-2010, 10:12 PM
I quit chasing, or even trying to attract, the gold-diggers years ago.

The BMW stayed in the garage and I drove the truck.

The law school ring came off my finger.

I wore a Timex.

I only carried small bills.

When they asked what I did for a living, I told 'em I was a teacher. (I was a teacher - I taught law.)

Think of my method as "Ken's Bimbo Repellant." I had two long-term experiences that taught me to never leave home without it.

Got myself a wonderful & beautiful lady who wasn't attracted to me because of dollars. There's a lot to be said for that.

Very commendable...but you didn't tell her you were flat broke. There's a difference. Making an honest living at anything is good and that's all that ought to matter ultimately. At least it does to me.

Rick
07-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah but all that was because of the divorce. Right? Tell the truth.

welderguy
07-31-2010, 10:15 PM

if ya wanna get rid of one quick , tell them you live with your mother and you sell aluminum cans to pay for your habit, they dont ever talk to ya again.:innocent:

welderguy
07-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Just an observation but, by the 9th post this thread got very hijacked.

Ken
07-31-2010, 10:22 PM
Yeah but all that was because of the divorce. Right? Tell the truth.

In a way. The divorce and the one I met a year later was my incentive for inventing "Ken's Bimbo Repellant."

There were a FEW things that the ex-wife didn't get. My watches and cars included. She may have gotten my golf clubs, but THANK GOD she didn't have an LTC. FOR MORE THAN ONE REASON! :innocent:

Ken
07-31-2010, 10:23 PM

Hmmmm. It had a longer life than most do. :innocent:

Rick
07-31-2010, 10:23 PM
tell them you live with your mother and you sell aluminum cans to pay for your habit,

OMG! That's hilarious.

Tell them your senior year in high school you were voted most likely to become a serial rapists.

crashdive123
07-31-2010, 10:24 PM

Yeah, but there was a noble effort in post #2.:innocent:

welderguy
07-31-2010, 10:24 PM
OMG! That's hilarious.

Tell them your senior year in high school you were voted most likely to become a serial rapists.

LMAO that is funny.

welderguy
07-31-2010, 10:25 PM

Absolutely :innocent:

Ken
07-31-2010, 10:26 PM

I tried. Honest I did. :blushing:

welderguy
07-31-2010, 10:28 PM
I tried. Honest I did. :blushing:

We know Ken, and were proud of you for that Nobel effort

Ken
07-31-2010, 10:28 PM
OMG! That's hilarious.

"Text-ticular Fallout"

"Levi Johnston’s loins have gone rogue." :innocent:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view/20100731text-ticular_fallout_usual_charges_apply/srvc=home&position=6

Ken
07-31-2010, 10:30 PM
We know Ken, and were proud of you for that Nobel effort

*Takes deep bow* :wavey:

welderguy
07-31-2010, 10:32 PM
*Takes deep bow* :wavey:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

welderguy
07-31-2010, 10:35 PM

Now when I first read the thread and saw the picture I thought maybe you rigged that swinging part on a figure 4 and when the squir......um I meant other non squirrel animal crawled up in there it swung down and bashed its little brains out.

EagleScout
07-31-2010, 11:26 PM
2dumb2kwit maybe your right, maybe we sould be trappin women for this trip other than little furry critters lol. care to help me out on the cash part? haha