PDA

View Full Version : Schrade knives...

Sarge47
07-29-2010, 09:54 PM
...they're not just for the kiddies anymore. I'm doing some fact-finding on the steel quality of Schrade knives & will be posting more on this thread as the facts come to light, now to get to what I know so far.

1st, what started this whole thing was a great find at my local "Farm King" store; you might remember it as the store that got shot up. Anyway, waaaaay back in 1970 I bought this really great-looking Schrade Old-Timer knife shortly before moving to Colorado. I got into a bad place financially & had to sell it. Now I know that there are a lot of better-made knives out there, but this one had a special meaning to me:

http://www.knife-depot.com/images/product/2_70755.jpg (http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-90891.html)

So I was really glad to see one for less than $30! I bought it, then, later checked out their web-site after making an initial contact with Schrade. Seems like they use Chinese steel alright, however their knives do have a Limited Lifetime Warranty which means that as long as you weren't using it for something that it wasn't constructed for, like chopping down trees, they'll fix or replace them. Then I checked out the Schrade catalouge: WOW! They really make a lot of stuff, There's Machetes for Sgt. Draino and bayonets/knives even for the U.S. Army:

http://www.taylorbrandsllc.com/index.php?page=schrade-2010-pages

More details as I get them. :cool2:

rebel
07-29-2010, 10:04 PM
NO!........ f the chineeeeee.

Rick
07-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Sarge - Schrade makes Old Timer, X-Timer and Uncle Henry knives as well. The one you have pictured is a "Woodsman", I think. There are a couple in that design but it looks like the Woodsman. 9 5/8 inch overall and 5 inch stainless blade? If it is, you did okay. The MRSP is $37.95.

I like the looks of that one a lot. I have an Old Timer Stockman with spey and sheepsfoot blades that I've carried for more years than I can remember.

They also make a camp knife that looks exactly like the Camillus Viet Nam pocket knife.

Rick
07-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Hey, Chineeee gotta eat too, GI.

rebel
07-29-2010, 10:08 PM
...and the mexcans... fix your own country is what I say.

Rick
07-29-2010, 10:10 PM
White man speak with many forked tongues. Try to trade beads for 1962 Covette Stingray belong to my father. You go back Britain, what I say.

panch0
07-29-2010, 10:13 PM
I hope the s word dont git me in trouble.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=117&pictureid=1995

Sarge47
07-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Sarge - Schrade makes Old Timer, X-Timer and Uncle Henry knives as well. The one you have pictured is a "Woodsman", I think. There are a couple in that design but it looks like the Woodsman. 9 5/8 inch overall and 5 inch stainless blade? If it is, you did okay. The MRSP is $37.95.

I like the looks of that one a lot. I have an Old Timer Stockman with spey and sheepsfoot blades that I've carried for more years than I can remember.

They also make a camp knife that looks exactly like the Camillus Viet Nam pocket knife.
Yeah, it's the Woodsman alright, I checked out the model #,165OT in the catlouge; which, BTW, took over an hour to load!

The knife was $26. 99 before tax, 28.95 after tax; just couldn't pass it up. The steel they use looks just fine to me, but then I always treat my knives with respect.

When I was 19 I carried an Imperial pocket knife(also by Schrade)that boasted it was made out of razor blade stainless steel(?). I dressed out many a rabbit & Squirrel with that little knife! BTW, did you catch the knives Schrade makes for the Boy Scouts? :cool2:

rebel
07-29-2010, 10:15 PM
or, you take Rick's stuff. Leave rest alone. That good!

panch0
07-29-2010, 10:17 PM
I have owned a schrade or two and they served me well. I don't know if they were made in china or US though.

Rick
07-29-2010, 10:28 PM
I just bopped out to their web site. Looks like they picked up Smith and Wesson, too.

I don't know what that steel is. I don't know if it's 440C or not. You might have to contact them.

rebel
07-29-2010, 10:32 PM
O.K. How 'bout supporting the locals?

Rick
07-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Are you still here?!

Sarge47
07-29-2010, 10:37 PM
I just bopped out to their web site. Looks like they picked up Smith and Wesson, too.

I don't know what that steel is. I don't know if it's 440C or not. You might have to contact them.
I called today but the guy I need to speak to was out of the office. I know it's in the 400 series somewhere, but where? I need to ask some more questions, but it's still a functional blade, & Pancho isn't making the mods any freebies...(wipes tear from eye)

Here's a story about Chinese metal: Awhile back I bought a set of Copper Cups (for the Cups & Balls magic trick) from a well-known street Magician out in Hollywood by the name of Tom Franks.(The Phoenix Cups.) His company is called Industrial Strength Magic & he wanted a set of cups that could really take a pounding and not even dent; & he had them made in China! I spoke with him on the phone & he told me that he had to keep sending the Chinese back to the factory until they got it right! My point here is this: It's not the country, it's the craftmanship. Even my Ka-Bar Bull Dozier was made in China & it's really tough! Think about it, do you really think that Taylor Brand wants to replace 50% of their knives that they sell for a very low price in the 1st place? I'm thinking that the Chinese have specs to meet there just as they do with Ka-Bar. :cool2:

Rick
07-29-2010, 10:41 PM
The Chinese were making knives for centuries before this country was founded.

rebel
07-29-2010, 10:51 PM
PLEASE! Just shoot us now! Even IF our quality is low for a few years. It'll turn around and we'll kick azz. Their crap has always beenl inferior. So, why promote it? Same-same with the mex border. Say "no more tourista dollars" and watch how fast the fence is built on the Mex side.

crashdive123
07-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Crashblades are made in the USA.:innocent:

welderguy
07-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the link to there site. they have a lot of good looking stuff.

welderguy
07-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Crashblades are made in the USA.:innocent:

Is it made with USA steel ?:innocent:

Sarge47
07-29-2010, 10:59 PM
w
Thanks for the link to there site. they have a lot of good looking stuff.
They really are into making "snazzy-looking" handles, aren't they? :cool2:

Sorry Reb, but it's the only way I could get the knife I wanted, & besides, their products are low-cost & that's a plus for those on a shoe-string knife budget. I did notice that they make a "hollow-handled" Survival knife, that'll make the Numpties happy! :innocent: :sneaky2: :cool2:

rebel
07-29-2010, 11:07 PM
It's cool. I was just blowing off some steam. Thanks for your tolerance. ....sure wish I could make things right...

Sarge47
07-29-2010, 11:14 PM
It's cool. I was just blowing off some steam. Thanks for your tolerance. ....sure wish I could make things right...
Hey, if you can't rant among friends, then who can you rant too, right? Uh, you do have friends, right? :innocent: :sneaky2:

rwc1969
07-29-2010, 11:15 PM
They probably get their iron ore from us lol. I don't know, but I do have quite a few Schrade, Old-Timer, Uncle Henry, imperial pocket knives and they all serve me well. I believe all are pre-70's, or very early seventies, if that means anything, none are SS. I didn't know Schrade owned all these brands or that they use Chinese steel. I wonder when they started using the Chinese steel??

crashdive123
07-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Is it made with USA steel ?:innocent:

Yep.:detective:

Sarge47
07-29-2010, 11:20 PM
They probably get their iron ore from us lol. I don't know, but I do have quite a few Schrade, Old-Timer, Uncle Henry, imperial pocket knives and they all serve me well. I believe all are pre-70's, or very early seventies, if that means anything, none are SS. I didn't know Schrade owned all these brands or that they use Chinese steel. I wonder when they started using the Chinese steel??
According to the lady i talked to today at Taylor Brand, Schrade went bankrupt about 2004 & Taylor Brand bought them out; they're the new owners. I put their knives in the "low-cost" category & would only suggest it to somebody who doesn't have a lot of scratch to spend on a knife & is too stubborn to buy a Mora...Which, BTW, is made in Sweden, NOT the U.S.! :innocent: :sneaky2:

rwc1969
07-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Well they could have the steel made here. http://glo.bmwe.org/public/journal/1999/09sep/b04.htm

or here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usa,_%C5%8Cita

then it would all be kosher as a dill pickle. LOL!

welderguy
07-29-2010, 11:38 PM
w
They really are into making "snazzy-looking" handles, aren't they? :cool2:

Sorry Reb, but it's the only way I could get the knife I wanted, & besides, their products are low-cost & that's a plus for those on a shoe-string knife budget. I did notice that they make a "hollow-handled" Survival knife, that'll make the Numpties happy! :innocent: :sneaky2: :cool2:

I bet they sell a bunch of them fancy sparkle handled knives, And when I saw the hollow handled knives I had to laugh. I don't own any Schrade knives, but I do own a few Gerber's and there made in china too.

laughingbeetle
07-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Sarge, I have to thank you for posting your research on Schrade knives. Your post reminded me that i have been wondering just what knife I have been carrying in my pocket these past few years. It has served me very well, and I felt I should at least know what style of Schrade it was, as the name plate had fallen off long before I came into ownership. As it turns out, my most used blade is a Shrade Old Timer 108OT. It is a very nice little knife, and I have never had any complaints on its performance. It holds an edge very well, and is not at all difficult to resharpen when needed. Thank you again for your post.

Sarge47
07-30-2010, 11:31 AM
I just got off of the phone with Bryan Boyd of Taylor Brand and found out the answers to these 3 questions:

1.) My knife, the Woodsman 165OT's steel is advertised as "400 Series." I found out that the actual number is 440c.

2.) Taylor Brand has Quality Control people over in China to make sure that all specs are dead on!

3.) The Rockwell Hardness # on my knife is 56-58; which is right where I want it.

Bottom line: You may or may not trust the Chinese, however, that doesn't take away from the fact that companies are demanding & getting the quality they want over there. Add to that the fact that the Schrade line is a lower-cost knife that can be affordable to folks with smaller budgets & I believe it to be a "player." :cool2:

BTW, no problem, Laughing Beetle.

kyratshooter
07-30-2010, 11:36 AM
I carried a lot of Old Timers back in my younger years. I got a lot of them as presents since they were considered a decient knife at a reasonable price.

They were a step up from the cheap stuff but half the price of a Case or Boker.

I have a large trapper two blade sitting on the computer desk right now. The big honker with 4" blades. I have had it since Christmas, 1968. It still holds a razor edge and gets its share of use.

The sheath gets more use than the knife. It holds a .45 magazine perfectly. Yep, the sheath is still good after 42 years.

klickitat
07-30-2010, 12:37 PM
I always carry several knives when hunting. One of which is ALWAYS a Schrade sharp finger with gut hook. I love the knife because it will put on a razors edge like no other. It will not hold that edge as long as some, but when it does dull, it is easy to touch up. You can not say that about some of these near diamond hardness blades out there.

Sarge47
07-30-2010, 03:39 PM
As I've posted elsewhere, there are 3 things I look for in a knife:

1.) A full tang blade. (Hollow handled knives, save for Cold Steel's Bushman don't measure up.)

2.) A price tag of no more than $120.(And for anything over $50 it better be something special!)

3.) Good quality Steel with an RC of 56-58)

:cool2:

So solly, but Schrade Woodsman make the grade. (Bows.) :sneaky2:

Rick
07-30-2010, 07:49 PM
It's pure economics and it isn't going to stop. For the next few years it will be China. Then when Chinese wages catch up companies will move to Africa. Then everyone will be lamenting about African quality. Chinese? Or sure they make great stuff but those Africans, brother........

canid
07-31-2010, 01:29 AM
don't care where any of the schrades i've owned where made; ultimately they've treated me better than i've treated them, and that's a selling point for any tool.

Camp10
07-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Well, Sarge..I've got to give you credit (cause I couldnt give you rep..must have recently) for all the homework you did on this knife. 440C is good steel, It was the steel of choice back in the 70's and early 80's for lots of custom knifemakers.

I still dont like buying foreign when there are American knives to be had. I would rather rifle through Ebay and pick up an old Marbles or Case or even Schrade (etc,etc, there are lots of good ones) for the same money. I own several Ebay jewels..as far as I know, nothing Chinese lives in my knife case.

Rick
07-31-2010, 08:09 AM
The knife case was probably made in China.....:innocent:

Camp10
07-31-2010, 08:17 AM
The knife case was probably made in China.....:innocent:

I made it here (in Maine) out of trees that grew here. I dont know where the glue, hardware or glass came from though...nice try!:)

Sarge47
07-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Well, Sarge..I've got to give you credit (cause I couldnt give you rep..must have recently) for all the homework you did on this knife. 440C is good steel, It was the steel of choice back in the 70's and early 80's for lots of custom knifemakers.

I still dont like buying foreign when there are American knives to be had. I would rather rifle through Ebay and pick up an old Marbles or Case or even Schrade (etc,etc, there are lots of good ones) for the same money. I own several Ebay jewels..as far as I know, nothing Chinese lives in my knife case.
Uh, Camp, the company is based in Tennesee & just has the knives made in China for them. I drive two Fords, one is an older LTD Crown Vic, the other a Ford F150. After some research I discovered that the car was made in Canada! Ya just never know. As I also posted earlier, my Ka-Bar Bull Dozier was made in China, and I'll never get rid of that! :cool2:

hunter63
07-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Transmission casting (foundry in Racine WI, was closed down) for Case and IH tractors are made in China, on an Italian machine.
Of course C&H is now owned by Fiat.

You really can't get away from it.............

kyratshooter
07-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Yea, when I was a kid it was the cheap Jap stuff, then they started making the first rides that would go 200,000 miles.

Then the cheap Korean stuff, until they started making good guitars and pretty good cars.

Then the cheap Tiwan stuff, until they took over the electronics industry.

Now it's the cheap Chineese stuff.

Camulius, Schrade and all the other mid range companies just can't convince the union worker that flattening a rivet is not a $30 an hour job.

Batch
07-31-2010, 09:39 PM
The knife I bought most of the people I know that didn't have a knife was a Old Timer folder. That was the one with the "even if you lose it" warranty right?

My brother carries a M Tech in his pack. He paid like $5 at a convenience store for it. Its a folder with Carson style flipper and the steel has held up incredible. He bought it because it reminded him of the CRKT M16 I gave him.

My preference is toward Case for small folders and skinners. I have the Mini Trapper, Rick, which has the spey blade as well. Though I don't use it for its intended purpose as that would just be nuts...:innocent:

BTW, one of the guys who I bought an Old Timer for years ago went camping with us last night. He didn't bring a flash light and was whining when we had to cross water at night. I gave him one of my lights and then asked if he at least brought a knife. His answer was no!:sneaky2:

Rick
07-31-2010, 10:08 PM
You should have snatch the light back from him and told him it was obvious he wasn't ready to camp with the big dogs.

crashdive123
07-31-2010, 10:20 PM
I take it you won't be buying him another knife?

rebel
07-31-2010, 11:37 PM
One of my favorite knives was a three blade old timer. Chinee? Was I wrong again! Well, if you're not used to it, that's your problem!!!!! I've tried to change.

Justin Case
08-01-2010, 09:46 AM
One of my favorite knives was a three blade old timer. Chinee? Was I wrong again! Well, if you're not used to it, that's your problem!!!!! I've tried to change.

LOL,, Ya cant teach an old dog new tricks ;)

Batch
08-01-2010, 10:04 AM
You should have snatch the light back from him and told him it was obvious he wasn't ready to camp with the big dogs.

He usually only goes when we go riding. Every time I have to tell him not to just bring shorts. Anyway, we go to get fire wood and we come to a spot where we have to cross water. We know the shallowest spots and so its not like we are in any real danger. But, a lot of folks don't want to go anywhere near the water in Florida at night.

He says, "I ain't going in that black water man!"

"Ok, stay here and we'll be back for you", I say, knowing he'll be in the water a few seconds after I cross. LOL

At first he didn't want to be out there in the middle of no where at night with us. Then he didn't want to be out there in the middle of no where without us. :innocent:

Rick
08-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Note to self....Never, ever, go anywhere with Batch at night....scratch that....never, ever go anywhere with Batch in Florida. That's better.