PDA

View Full Version : Sourdough

Two Rivers
12-24-2007, 03:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone else here uses soughdough at home or in camp. For me there is nothing better than sourdough pancakes or bread in either place. But as usual everything tastes better when out in the woods.

A fast sourdough starter is made by mixing a thick batter of unbleached flour and water. Mix a package of yeast in a small amount of warm water and stir to disolve. Add thid to your batter. Cover and let sit. It will start to bubble and take on a nice sour or beery smell. The longer you let it proof the better the taste. Do Not use metal bowls or utensils to mix or store your starter. Wood ,Plastic or stoneware are best. Use the starter as the base for your flapjacks or breads and bisquits. The starter can be saved in the fridge for years if used once in a while. A liquid formed in the chiled started is just mixed back in. You can also dry the starter and crush to a powder for storage or easy packing for camp and reconstituted and proofed for a nice batch of eating.
I had a starter that I had had for 11 years when my DARLING bride dumped it out thinking it was something spoiled. That there was grounds for divorce. Well...My DARLING BRIDE has since taken the opposite path that I am on so there is another batch of sourdough now residing in my fridge.
I make mine with natural levening, the yeasts present in the air and the unbleached flour. Using potato water is also a traditional way to make sour dough.
Try some... you wont regret it.

Sarge47
12-24-2007, 04:11 PM
This belongs in the "recipe" thread! Great post!:cool: