PDA

View Full Version : can dogs hunt for you?

coldlightning
07-29-2010, 03:04 PM
in the book and movie, my side of the mountain, the boy goes off into the wild to survive on his own. he captures a baby falcon and raises it and trains it to hunt for him. i was wondering, is there a certain dog breed that would be good for that kind of thing, and what animals could it hunt, rabbits, pheasants, or even deer or bear if there were a few dogs? how about fishing dogs, lol?

Ken
07-29-2010, 03:09 PM
My beagles and basset hound are all great hunters. They'll corner anything that moves, be it small game or a melting ice cream cone. They have even been trained to peacefully co-exist with our ducks and the squirrels that live in our yard. Just don't come by if you're a rabbit, or a woodchuck, or a fox, or a skunk........ ESPECIALLY if you're a skunk. :innocent:

Winnie
07-29-2010, 03:27 PM
My Greyhound fed me, Winnie jnr and himself for quite some time when I was broke. If he thought he had half a chance of catching it, he was off. Rabbit, Gamebirds, small Deer, Hare, made no difference to him. He never bothered the Cat, Guinea Pig or chickens though.

2dumb2kwit
07-29-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't know of any breed of dog, that can fly.:innocent:

Ole WV Coot
07-29-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't know of any breed of dog, that can fly.:innocent:

You folks don't have any bird dogs like pointers, setters? Just think, they call us hillbillies backward:innocent:

BENESSE
07-29-2010, 06:46 PM
You folks don't have any bird dogs like pointers, setters? Just think, they call us hillbillies backward:innocent:

Don't you have to shoot the bird first, before the boys get a hold of it?

Ken
07-29-2010, 06:48 PM

Don't you know nuthin'? :sneaky2:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/CollegePics/FlyingDog.png

BENESSE
07-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Nah, 'cause I do my own huntin'.

BushedOut
07-30-2010, 09:13 AM
My dog is a great hunter.. The question is would he hand over the goods... Hmmmmm

DOGMAN
07-30-2010, 05:34 PM
You want a dog to hunt bears...get a Karelian Bear Dog.

kyratshooter
07-30-2010, 05:38 PM

If your bird dog is not catching anything you are not throwing him high enough!

kyratshooter
07-30-2010, 05:44 PM
One of my grand fathers kept a pack of beagle hounds and used them for rabbit hunting.

My other grandad kept two Brittany Spaniels the he used for hunting pheasant.

In the past dogs were expected to earn their keep and were not really viewed as pets by rural people. I know country folk that never expected or intended to feed their dogs. If they wanted food they had to go catch something.

DOGMAN
07-30-2010, 05:49 PM
If your bird dog is not catching anything you are not throwing him high enough!

thats why I take a micro-tramploine and a giant potato launcher into the field with me...i start jumping on the tramp under a tree, while holding a german shorthair pointer in my arms wrapped in a launcher. The potato launcher is tied up to a high branch, the dog and I start bouncing then when we get real high and come back down and the bungy is strung real tight, I let go of the dog and propel him into the stratosphere! He once grabbed a condor that was 200 feet up in the air! I find this the only really exciting way to bird-hunt!

finallyME
07-30-2010, 06:01 PM
My dog is a great hunter.. The question is would he hand over the goods... Hmmmmm

My question would be, do I want her to hand over the goods.....after she just chewed it up and slobbered all over it.

BENESSE
07-30-2010, 06:05 PM
My question would be, do I want her to hand over the goods.....after she just chewed it up and slobbered all over it.

Some people would consider that a bonus. :sneaky2:

Rick
07-30-2010, 07:23 PM
So, Dogman, I'm guessing you go through a dog or two each season. I didn't read anything about a pupachute. If he misses that's a long freefall. If you were using cats I could understand. They always land on their feet but dogs don't have 9 lives.

Ole WV Coot
07-30-2010, 11:12 PM

A good retriever will bring you the dead bird without ruffling a feather and lay it at your feet.

coldlightning
08-02-2010, 07:17 PM
ok, scenario: you are way out there in the woods, you get injured and can't walk. you say to fido, go, get us some food, to build my strenght while i recover. what kind of dog is fido, and what food does he bring back. lol.

Rick
08-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Seriously? First off, he's a she and now that you've insulted her I'm probably going to die. Nice going.

BLEUXDOG
08-02-2010, 10:03 PM
ok, scenario: you are way out there in the woods, you get injured and can't walk. you say to fido, go, get us some food, to build my strenght while i recover. what kind of dog is fido, and what food does he bring back. lol.

Bigger than I am and what ever he doesn't eat "Left overs"

Beans
08-03-2010, 01:03 AM
I have a surivial dog.
She is a Lab/pit mix. Chases down anything that moves, Brings me rabbits, quail, Pack rats, or any other creature she can catch.
She will also eat almost anything I give her to eat.
If you know bird dogs you what I mean when I say she has a "Soft " mouth. What surprises me is she leaves our cats alone.
FWIW she is also self taught.

Pict
08-03-2010, 11:03 AM
We had a Springer back when I was a kid that would go off and bring home pheasants on her own. She would bring them back alive. Many times my dad would wring their necks and hand them to me or my brothers to pluck. She would also collect box turtles. Great dog. Mac

Rick
08-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Interesting. I've never met a dog that had a collection of anything. Turtles. Imagine that.

ClayPick
08-08-2010, 08:52 AM
I use dogs before the season to find where the deer are. It's a nasty habit some folks have about starving them for a few days before they take them out.