PDA

View Full Version : new knife is crap

Ryleyboy
07-28-2010, 01:53 AM
I recentyl purchused a survival knife off ebay that came with a 16 inch bladed booie knife, a smaller blade hidden is the sheath and it also had an unfoldable sling shot on the bottom of it. I was out trying it for my first time and when i was hacking some smaller trees down for a shelter i was building the blade snapped off from the handle. talk about poor quality. its just a good thing that i tried out before i needed it in a real scenerio where i would have depended on it.

canid
07-28-2010, 02:08 AM
most knives targeted at the survival minded are junk, and this is particularly true of the cliche, hollow handle with crap inside variety.

a good knife basically needs no trendy language or gimmick to sell itself.

as an example, the knife to use when hacking brush is a machete. this might just as well be a plain-jane, carbon steel machete of the type that can be had in the us for $15-30. they are designed for the job they do, and used the world over as serious work tools.

Ryleyboy
07-28-2010, 02:25 AM
yeah i had a machete as well I just wanted to see if it was possible to hack down some trees if i ever had to do so.

flandersander
07-28-2010, 03:20 AM
I'll fix it for ya frank. A little jb weld and it'll be better than new.

crashdive123
07-28-2010, 07:07 AM
You could have avoided that un-wise purchase if you had just read this http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1297

Sarge47
07-28-2010, 11:04 AM
You didn't post any pics, however NEVER buy one of those "hollow-handled" Rambo-knives unless you really enjoy watching things break! Remember, you get what you pay for. I don't know how much you paid for it but I hope you're not out much. Here's Sarges guidelines for any knife purchase:

1.) A FULL-TANG BLADE! That's where the steel of the knife runs "heel-to-point!"

2.) A ROCKWELL HARDNESS BETWEEN 56-58! This is the best "hardness" for a knife that allows it to be sharpened in the field without being to brittle or soft!

3.)A PRICE TAG OF $120 OR LESS! And it's usually a lot less. Most low-cost knives are junk, the only exception I've found being the Mora line. Wehen it comes to high-quality low-cost knives you just can't beat those Swedes!

Finally, a point to remember, never use a knife for a job that it's not intended for. Axes are made to cut down trees, knives are not! :cool2:

Sarge47
07-28-2010, 11:06 AM
most knives targeted at the survival minded are junk, and this is particularly true of the cliche, hollow handle with crap inside variety.

a good knife basically needs no trendy language or gimmick to sell itself.

as an example, the knife to use when hacking brush is a machete. this might just as well be a plain-jane, carbon steel machete of the type that can be had in the us for $15-30. they are designed for the job they do, and used the world over as serious work tools.
You can buy a Coleman "Camp Machete for about $6 at Wally-World! :cool2:

welderguy
07-28-2010, 12:01 PM
If your looking for a hollow handled good quality knife at a decent price try the cold steel bushman excelent knife ( IMHO ) , and might I suggest if you are forced to use your knife as an axe try battening insted of chopping just my 2 cents

SARKY
07-28-2010, 12:06 PM
While we are at it the spelling that goes on in posts is horrid! I forgive the accidental hitting the wrong key (ie the one next to the letter you really wanted) but damm!
For the most part stay way the hell away from hollow handle knives. And a 16inch blade on a Bowie???

Justin Case
07-28-2010, 12:30 PM
While we are at it the spelling that goes on in posts is horrid! I forgive the accidental hitting the wrong key (ie the one next to the letter you really wanted) but damm!
For the most part stay way the hell away from hollow handle knives. And a 16inch blade on a Bowie???

well considering he is not in the US , I forgive and understand the spelling .

Winnie
07-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm not in the US either...... Just sayin'

cyc79
07-28-2010, 03:35 PM

eye arnt in the us ether.Sorry,I couldn't resist.:)
As far as knives go,a junker like you bought can usually be spotted by looks alone,& of course price(as Sarge stated,Moras excepted).Once you gain experience you'll know what I mean.

Justin Case
07-28-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm not in the US either...... Just sayin'

But English is your first language..;) or should i say your countries :)

flandersander
07-28-2010, 04:07 PM
I have seen and used the knife ryleyboy is talking about. The hilt is plastic, and the blade is quite soft, but they were on cheap. I think it was $30 with shipping from hong kong to canada. The "survival fish hook" that came with it, didn't even have an eye hole. It had a flat spot, pounded into the metal. Good luck threading your line through that! And I believe the blade is 22cm.

crashdive123
07-28-2010, 07:20 PM

But English is your first language..;) or should i say your countries :)

Ummmmm - lets see.

Colonsay = city
Saskatchewan = Province
Canada = Country

I hear they speak pretty good English in most parts of the country.:innocent:

Rick
07-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Is this the one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MILITARY-COMBAT-SURVIVAL-KNIFE-KIT-TACTICAL-HUNTING-/380239015005?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588802ec5d

Salvage what you can out of it. The handle can still be used to store the stuff that came with it. Some of it might be quasi decent. The fishing stuff will probably work and who knows, the sling shot might even be usable.

Justin Case
07-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Ummmmm - lets see.

Colonsay = city
Saskatchewan = Province
Canada = Country

I hear they speak pretty good English in most parts of the country.:innocent:

LOL ,, oh,, is that in Canada :blushing: LEARN to spell people ! :innocent:

Justin Case
07-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Is this the one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MILITARY-COMBAT-SURVIVAL-KNIFE-KIT-TACTICAL-HUNTING-/380239015005?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588802ec5d

Salvage what you can out of it. The handle can still be used to store the stuff that came with it. Some of it might be quasi decent. The fishing stuff will probably work and who knows, the sling shot might even be usable.

I have one of those around here someplace, I found it on the Beach at the river, YEP, its a piece of crap,, i found the knife and sheath, the rest of the stuff was gone.

crashdive123
07-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Sounds like somebody else thought it was crap too. Kept all the little goodies and threw out the knife and sheath.

welderguy
07-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Is this the one?

I wouldnt mind finding one on the cheap for the sheath.

Justin Case
07-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I think it was forgotten, there was evidence of people night fishing where i found it,

canid
07-28-2010, 07:58 PM
i've always wondered what "tactical hunting" meant.

on a more serious note; i had no trouble understanding the meaning of anything said in this thread. are we really here to judge linguistic prowess or the formal educational background of our fellow members?

was the sense unclear in some way that i missed, or was it just completely irrelevant to the topic of knifes? i must know.

crashdive123
07-28-2010, 08:01 PM

I think the phrase was coined by a blind guy and then incorrectly passed along as tactical.:innocent:

Rick
07-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Smooth. Real smooth. I'll bet a lot of folks feel the air as that one passes by unrecognized.

crashdive123
07-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I figured that a few folks would feel where I was coming from.

hunter63
07-28-2010, 08:18 PM

IMHO
The word "tactical" seems to used when a product is trying to be "Nice-a-fied", as in, "Sporting tactical" when referring to EBR's. (Evil Black Rifles)

Or implying that the product is a necessity for a Mall Ninja...........

Rick
07-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Others might just be touched a bit.

crashdive123
07-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Well, you know how some people get all touchy, feely.

Rick
07-28-2010, 08:22 PM
It was hands down a great pun.

crashdive123
07-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Well, back to the OP and cheap survival knives......have you checked the Yellow Pages?

http://www.versacreations.net/images/Slogan/yp.jpg

kyratshooter
07-28-2010, 08:31 PM
LOL ,, oh,, is that in Canada :blushing: LEARN to spell people ! :innocent:

Yea, Canada, that state up north!

Why do people think a knife should chop down a tree. But I need to and it was all I had!!!

I have a Jeep in the driveway. It will get me over hill and dale and down the dusty trail, but it will not go 100 mph. Even if I HAVE to go 100 mph it will not do it and I wll break it if I try to make it go 100mph just because I feel like I am being chased. If someone is after me and I'm in the jeep it is their tough noogies, I have a CCW and owning slow cars is one reason I got it.

Why have people decided that a knife should be a multi-abuse utensil, able to withstand all torture or it is no good? Do the words: "This ain't going to work" mean anything to anyone these days?

And the word you guys are looking for is TACTILE, not tactical. Get a diksionari!

canid
07-28-2010, 08:32 PM
good one crash.

next one: does anybody know what is meant by ballistic nylon? i mean when it's not actually used in a flac jacket.

Rick
07-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Or checked the web?

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/26756/thumbs/s-COMPUTER-TYPING-large.jpg

crashdive123
07-28-2010, 08:35 PM
good one crash.

next one: does anybody know what is meant by ballistic nylon? i mean when it's not actually used in a flac jacket.

Mary Sue Tucker - high school- wasn't nothing getting past.......nevermind.:blushing:

canid
07-28-2010, 09:01 PM
we aren't looking for a word, we're having a bit of fun and commentary on the language of the product advertisement.

welderguy
07-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Yea, Canada, that state up north!

Why do people think a knife should chop down a tree. But I need to and it was all I had!!!

I have a Jeep in the driveway. It will get me over hill and dale and down the dusty trail, but it will not go 100 mph. Even if I HAVE to go 100 mph it will not do it and I wll break it if I try to make it go 100mph just because I feel like I am being chased. If someone is after me and I'm in the jeep it is their tough noogies, I have a CCW and owning slow cars is one reason I got it.

Why have people decided that a knife should be a multi-abuse utensil, able to withstand all torture or it is no good? Do the words: "This ain't going to work" mean anything to anyone these days?

And the word you guys are looking for is TACTILE, not tactical. Get a diksionari!

In a true survival situation, If you only have one blade and its a matter of survival to chop a tree down , then I am going to use that knife to survive, even if that wasnt its intended use.