PDA

View Full Version : Bush Stove

Rick
12-24-2007, 09:08 AM
I was wondering if anyone has used a bush stove made from tinder fungus?

dilligaf2u2
12-25-2007, 07:23 AM
A bush stove made from tinder fungus? Wouldn't it burn up?

Don

Rick
12-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Don - It sure does. The idea is to acquire a true tinder fungus or a false (hoof) tinder fungus large enough to sit your cup or pot on. Strike your spark and get it burning just like you normally would then take a knife tip or some other object and scrape the surface of the tinder so it begins to burn out across the tinder instead of down into it. Once you have the tinder burning across the surface you can place a cup of water on top of it and the fungus will actually boil the water.

This is a really good way to warm up something to eat or drink when the weather is super wet and you know building a fire with wood will be difficult or impossible. A fresh cut fungus is pretty resistant to water. Once you finish cooking (depending on the size of the tinder) it will continue to burn for some time. You can use it for a nice hand warmer or to carry your fire ember with you by wrapping it in some plant leaves as others have discussed.

dilligaf2u2
12-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Now you did it! All your fault! RICK!!

I have something new to learn! It is not like I do not have enough BB's rolling around> I have to find Fungus and try this<

OK someone post a pic of fungus used in this way, So I have an idea where to start!

Sheesh: I just got using my Cell phone for a hammer, down pat! You guys are going to keep me busy all year long!

Thanks a lot! Now I will go to my room and cry!

Don

Rick
12-26-2007, 05:15 PM
I figured you'd be looking so I've been searching. Here's a link:

http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/tinder/tinderfungus/abbfungusstove/index.html

They've also got some information on True Fungus vs. False Fungus along with some pictures at:

http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/tinder/tinderfungus/true.html

RobertRogers
12-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Not too shabby! Makes for an interesting idea.

dilligaf2u2
12-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the links!

This week and next I am not allowed to do anything camping in nature. TDW and TGF both have me doing Honey Doo's. One week of doing the things they want and I get a week of quiet.

Don