PDA

View Full Version : Drown Proofing Anyone?

Ole WV Coot
07-26-2010, 07:02 PM
I guess most of you have at one time or another learned what was called drown proofing. Back when I learned we only did an hour or so in a pool, learn how if you don't know. We had our legs tied together and learned to "dead man" float, raising our arms to breathe and with hands & feet bound just bending our head back. This summer teach your kids and yourself this simple method. You don't need to have any loved one drown. Just a thought that I haven't seen mentioned that I can remember.

Rick
07-26-2010, 07:23 PM
http://www.drownproofing.com/

crashdive123
07-26-2010, 07:41 PM
I have fond memories of doing it for several hours in boot camp. Funny how things get better with age.:innocent:

Justin Case
07-26-2010, 07:42 PM
I wonder how that would work in waves or a current ?

crashdive123
07-26-2010, 07:43 PM
I wonder how that would work in waves or a current ?

Very well as long as you don't panic.

BENESSE
07-26-2010, 07:48 PM
I've never heard of this technique--sounds intriguing.
Why is it better than just floating on your back?

Aurelius95
07-26-2010, 07:50 PM
We learned this as "the dead man's float" when I was a kid. Drownproofing sounds better.

crashdive123
07-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Think about doing it for hours or days at a time. Floating on your back, you will swallow water from time to time. With enough, it can cause vomiting and dehydration. Floating on your back will also expose your face to the direct sun.

BENESSE
07-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Makes sense, esp. about sun exposure.

crashdive123
07-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Another thing that we were taught was that as you took a breath, did a single breast stroke - scan the horizon and sky quickly for signs of rescue.

tsitenha
07-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Likewise I learnt this as dead mans float, but that was after I learnt to swim that was a different matter altogether.
My father and uncle were out at "lodge" for some social refreshments and brouth me along.
After a few hours of sampling we were back on our way home, by boat, my father took me by the scruff of the neck and by my belt and out I went into the river about 500yds from shore.
They didn't even slow the boat down "a l'eau canard" was the last I heard for while till I came back up and made my way to the shoreline "dog paddling" all the way.
Different times and different strokes (pun intended) later I went for swimming lesson and all.
My son learnt differently, gradual, and under supervision no "wobbly pop"

Old GI
07-27-2010, 08:31 AM
My PADI OWSI test required treading water for 15 minutes with hands out of the water for the last two without swimming around. I was negatively bouyant in my youth. When doing any of that, keep your lungs inflated as much as possible.

Also, drownproofing for airborne duty in Panama was having a parachute laid out on the pool surface. You had to enter at the skirt, travel hand-over-hand and pass the apex and out again by lifting the canopy material.

Crash: I almost fell out of my chair - fond of Boot Camp, then I saw your disclaimer.

randyt
07-27-2010, 07:51 PM
this method don't work for me, I sink.

BUSH
07-27-2010, 09:51 PM
In HS I was tossed in the deep end of the school pool, sink or swim the coach said. I sank, after being pulled out of the pool, I told the coach to shove it and left class. Never went back till after the swiming part was done. Still can't swim. Part of the reason I joined the Air Force, and not the Navy.

Rick
07-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Part of the reason he lives in Arizona and not Hawaii, too.

BUSH
07-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Your right about living in AZ.

Batch
07-28-2010, 05:41 PM
I kinda dog paddled and fake swum until I in 4th grade. Then my brother shamed me into taking a class. The instructor told me to swim. I told him I couldn't. He said fake it. He said for me to make a few minor changes and with in minutes I went from a floundering non-swimmer to actually swimming a greased watermelon rely race that same day.

Definitely, swimming is an important wilderness survival skill.

Rick
07-28-2010, 05:44 PM
And it's not a good time to learn when the canoe flips over. Just sayin'.....

Rick
08-03-2010, 07:39 AM
A very tragic story that underscores this thread and the need to learn how to swim. Six teens drown, one by one, as bystanders watch helplessly. No one knew how to swim.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38533071/ns/us_news-life/

crashdive123
08-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Saw that on the news this morning. A tragedy for sure. The thought that also entered my mind was - if you don't know how to swim, stay out of the water.

trax
08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
And it's not a good time to learn when the canoe flips over. Just sayin'.....

Seriously, about canoes, when you're in one make sure you're aware of what's packed where in the canoe. I know a lady who almost drowned when the canoe she was in flipped because she got her legs tangled in the shoulder strap of a pack and the pack got lodged in the cross bar of the canoe.

Rick
08-03-2010, 02:35 PM
I always lock my shoulder straps to the crossbar. If the canoe flips I don't want my pack at the bottom of the creek. At least this way, I can recover it.

On the six drown story....why on earth would you allow your kids in the water alone if they don't know how to swim. And as a parent, whether you know how to swim or not, wouldn't you at least try to save your kid? That was one messed up article.

Ole WV Coot
08-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Like Crash said, don't go near the water until you learn how to swim. Don't ask how to learn without water. That was a needless, stupid I can't even say accident because the adults are responsible.