PDA

View Full Version : Sedgwick Folding Knife-style?

hunter63
07-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Picked up a folding knife, made by Sheffield, but seems this one is made in China.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/121341.jpg

Called a "Sedgwick Folding Knife" and I guess I was just wondering if any of y'all has used this design in a fixed blade knife in your craft.

I kinda like the design, but can't seem to find much in a fixed blade?

Rick
07-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Does it cut? If it does, doesn't much matter where it's made.

welderguy
07-26-2010, 02:59 PM
The blade looks kind of like a S&W tanto blade folder that I have.

hunter63
07-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Does it cut? If it does, doesn't much matter where it's made.

Yeah, cuts very well. I like it, and am looking for a fixed blade version.
I guess I was just surprised, knowing about past reputation of Sheffield knives.
I though it was worth $20 bucks............

Rick
07-26-2010, 05:51 PM
(QC!! Don't forget about QC).....just sayin'.....

crashdive123
07-26-2010, 06:07 PM
The angle of the tip looks similar, but a little different than a tanto, but looks pretty cool. Some day I'll try a tanto style blade.

panch0
07-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Cool knife looks like a rib tickler.

canid
07-27-2010, 01:57 AM
yeah, the blade is a bit steep, but i'd definitely call that in the american tanto style.

Ole WV Coot
07-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Cool knife looks like a rib tickler.

Blade has the shape of a so called "fighter" promoted by a "so called knife fighting expert?" I guess there's no limit on how to bend a blade or "experts" on how to use it. Wonder if he knows this country was settled by men who carried butcher knives that did it all.:innocent:

panch0
07-27-2010, 11:02 AM
I hear ya Coot. There is a lot of coolness factor involved nowadays. An old hickory knife is enough to get by, but some fols like cool looking blades. That one is definitely in the cool blade category.

hunter63
07-27-2010, 11:56 AM
I hear ya Coot. There is a lot of coolness factor involved nowadays. An old hickory knife is enough to get by, but some fols like cool looking blades. That one is definitely in the cool blade category.

Well, boys, I guess y'all have an adversion on the "coolness" of this design.
I guess this fool was attracted to the "differness" of this style, as well as the coolness. DSFDF.

My favortite working knife for years, has been and still is my Green River Knife,
I do like to think I am open to different designs, just though y'all might be intrested.

kyratshooter
07-27-2010, 02:18 PM
I have a modified Russel "Ripper" I put together with some nice brown waterbuffalo horn handle scales about 15 years ago. Seems I reach for it every time I put the pioneer rig on, which means it has spent more time in the woods and camp than any other knife I own.

The tanto pattern does have some advantages past the cool factor. For a person that has a difficult time sharpening a blade the tanto has only two flat angles to worry with and you sharpen them seperately. That also makes them easy to maintain in the field, even if you are sharpening them on a smooth river rock.

I have a Mora "Tradesman" (their $7 model) I ground to a tanto point and it makes a pretty good field balde.

panch0
07-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Well, boys, I guess y'all have an adversion on the "coolness" of this design.
I guess this fool was attracted to the "differness" of this style, as well as the coolness. DSFDF.

My favortite working knife for years, has been and still is my Green River Knife,
I do like to think I am open to different designs, just though y'all might be intrested.

Now don't go getting the wrong idea about what I said. I have to start watching my words around here now.:gagged: I meant old style knives where just as functional as Coot pointed out. Nowadays there is a coolness factor involved. I have about 4 spyderco knives cause they look cool and are functional. The knives I make have too look good cause I want them to sell. I could make simpler looking blades and they would sell also I guess but a nicer looking functional blade sells faster. I like the style of blade this knife has. It has a very practical shape to the blade and it also looks cool, to which I was just pointing out the marketing behind modern knives. I am open to all sorts of designs. I get asked why I don't ever use antler or bone in my knives. Its just my preference to use hard and stabilized wood and more moder materials like g10 and micarta. Every ones taste is different. I wouldn't mind owning the knife you posted. I personally like it. It is more up my alley than other types. Look at my designs, I try to add a little coolness in them cause its just my style I guess. When I said I hear ya coot, I meant that I understood where he was coming from.:surrender:

Ole WV Coot
07-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Same as Frank said. I like to see different blade shapes and sometimes even when something takes off like the gut hook lots of folks wouldn't do without now. I don't make any users but a Nessmuk style blade because I like it for me. I do own a bunch for looks, even have a few neck knives which I never use. I learned and was later taught what would work as a fighter and that shape just reminded me of a few ads with a "knife fighting expert". Experts just don't impress me, good blades in any size or shape do. I sure wasn't cutting down your choice.