PDA

View Full Version : Bear Camp 2010 in 6 days

klickitat
07-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Well here in Washington state, bear season starts on August 1st.

This year I am taking the entire family up to Strawberry Mountain in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest for a 10-12 day camp.

We will set up base camp near some huckleberry fields so that the family can pick berries while I am out chasing bears. We are allowed two bears just as we have been in the past.

Besides hunting bear, during the mid day hours I plan on spending a lot of time teaching my two youngest boys more woods craft. This should be a great time and I have been like a child waiting for Disney Land the last two weeks and it is only getting worse.:drool:

Rick
07-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Enjoy and stay safe.

Justin Case
07-25-2010, 06:45 PM
what would you do with 2 dead Bears ?

klickitat
07-25-2010, 06:47 PM
what would you do with 2 dead Bears ?

Sausage and two bear rugs!

Justin Case
07-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Sausage and two bear rugs!

thats a LOT of sausage :innocent:

Camp10
07-25-2010, 07:00 PM
I've got to wait for the end of the month for bear season but I am not heading out until Sept 6. I want to try a bow this year but will have to wait and see what the bears are doing a little closer to my week off.

Good luck with your hunt!!

Pocomoonskyeyes3
07-25-2010, 07:17 PM
I'll tell you what, save some of that meat for steaks!! It is (IMO) better than beef!! Good stuff that's for sure...

If your family is going to pick huckleberries, you might want to set up on those patches.... bears like 'em too.

klickitat
07-25-2010, 07:31 PM
I am hunting the huckleberry fields, but the ones close to camp any of the bears will be ran off by our commotion. If there does happen to be one that gets brave, my wife is armed with a 12 g. pump in camp.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
07-25-2010, 07:51 PM
This may be just me..... But if I knew I would be going into an area where a possible confrontation with a bear is possible, That 12 ga. would be slung on my shoulder...not in Camp. Bears can run a lot faster than most will give them credit for. MUCH faster than any human can run. Plus Black Bears tend to want to attack anything that runs away from them, which you would surely have to do to get that 12 ga. back in camp. That 12 ga. would never be further than arms length away. Just something to think about....

klickitat
07-25-2010, 08:02 PM
This may be just me..... But if I knew I would be going into an area where a possible confrontation with a bear is possible, That 12 ga. would be slung on my shoulder...not in Camp. Bears can run a lot faster than most will give them credit for. MUCH faster than any human can run. Plus Black Bears tend to want to attack anything that runs away from them, which you would surely have to do to get that 12 ga. back in camp. That 12 ga. would never be further than arms length away. Just something to think about....

Sorry I did not make myself clear. Camp will be set up in a berry field. Black bears are so skittish of people that I do not expect any problems. In the woods though my wife always carries her pistol and there is always a long gun in camp. If the boys and her venture too far away from camp she will be well armed. We are more leery of 2 legged predators then we are of 4 legged critters.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
07-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the clarification!!! It makes more sense to me now, and I for one feel better!!!:D:thumbs_up:

hunter63
07-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Good luck with the hunt, sounds like a great time with the family.

klickitat
07-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the clarification!!! It makes more sense to me now, and I for one feel better!!!:D:thumbs_up:

Nice to know that people are concerned about our well being.:)

Pocomoonskyeyes3
07-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Klickitat, that is one reason I love this forum. Everyone that has been here for any length of time, believe me they care. If one member thinks another is giving bad info they will be called on it. If somebody thinks another is doing something potentially dangerous it is brought to their attention.

People here are pretty passionate about survival, in all it's myriad shapes and forms. We've even had "Discussions" about what constitutes survival!!! LOL That was interesting.:innocent:

rwc1969
07-26-2010, 12:36 AM
All we have is black bears in MI. They stay hid so well you almost wouldn't know they are out there. Very much afraid of people, but, every once in a blue moon one stalks up on some unsuspecting person and tries to take a bite outta their behind. I've yet to see one, but don't hunt them.

Sounds like a good time, hope you have fun and get a big one.