PDA

View Full Version : Eat The Weeds

crashdive123
07-25-2010, 01:17 PM
I've signed up for a class being conducted by the Eat the Weeds guy, Green Dean (Dean Jordan). http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=eattheweeds&search_type= It should be fun and educational. The class is on August 7th, and I'll take lots of pictures.

welderguy
07-25-2010, 01:21 PM
awsome, looking forward to the pictures.

your_comforting_company
07-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Where is the class? This is something I would be very interested in. I'll be digging around for more information and eagerly awaiting pics and info from your experience.

crashdive123
07-25-2010, 04:08 PM
This class is in Jacksonville. http://www.eattheweeds.com/www.EatTheWeeds.Com/EatTheWeeds.com/Entries/1970/4/20_My_Next_Foraging_Class_Dec_13.html

your_comforting_company
07-25-2010, 06:13 PM
The ponce de leon springs venue is not that far from here.. might try to attend that one if time, and money come together to allow.
Thanks for the link!

Batch
07-25-2010, 06:29 PM
I am a subscriber to Dean's newsletter. He is from up around Melbourne I think. Looking for someone like him to tutor me.

rwc1969
07-26-2010, 12:40 AM
That'd be awesome.

cowgirlup
07-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm jealous but have fun.

I know we'll get great pics!!! :)

Mischief
07-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Crash just to add balance,I'm going to invade a Rib cooking joint,and no pictures, as I will be busy eating RIBS.This will be at Pineapple Willys, Panama City Beach FL.
Look it up

crashdive123
08-07-2010, 04:12 PM
The class was great. For somebody like me, who is a wild edible newby it was kind of like sensory overload. I did take lots of pictures and notes. Once I get sorted through all of then, I'll start a thread on what we saw during the class.

Trabitha
08-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Crash, I've recently gotten "Edible Wild Plants, Wild foods from dirt to plate" By Doctor John Kallas. GREAT book.
There are photos of the plants that he discusses at all levels of development and he shows you dietary benefits of each along with how to eat them.

We've recently lost our entire crop of spinach when my son left the garden fence open. I was devastated because I really look forward to salads from the garden. Now we're harvesting a large amount of the wild Purslane that grows on our property. Surprisingly it has huge dietary benefit, tastes similar to spinach, and the animals don't seem remotely interested in it! in the spring, we won't have Purslane, so we will be harvesting baby Garlic Mustard plants for our salads. People rip it out as an "invasive weed" and surprisingly it's one of the most nutritious leafy greens EVER analyzed!

I'll have to keep an eye out locally and see if I can find a class out here. It sounds fun!

Archanejil
08-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Garlic mustard also makes a very nice pesto -- I recommend it!

Winter
08-10-2010, 12:25 AM
I eat anything I see that the wildlife eats. EXCEPT skunk cabbage roots that bears eat.

I heard it has a crystaline structure that shreds yours guts.