PDA

View Full Version : Cool Jobs

BENESSE
07-24-2010, 08:22 PM
While away in the west we met a quite few young people who were seasonally employed at various ranches, inns and state parks. We thought they had really interesting jobs and asked them how they discovered them. (secretly wishing we could do it)
They said they went through this site: http://www.coolworks.com/ and after I checked it out I was really intrigued. What a great opportunity for a young person or anyone who is flexible enough to travel and doesn't need too many bells and whistles.
I would have given anything to know about this when I was in school. Working on a ranch sure beats selling clothes at a mall.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
07-24-2010, 10:20 PM
OK you said Ranches.....I wanna' see you on a horse!!! Pics or it didn't happen!!(We already know you have the Cowgirl boots!!)

Rick
07-24-2010, 10:29 PM
I think she meant Ranch Dressing.

rwc1969
07-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Well, I doubt I'd be able to cut the mustard on a ranch, but that's pretty intersting. I sure can't find good work here and may just have to leave the state I love to make ends meet.

I'd hate to leave this place, but, if I don't find work by the end of this year I'll be officially homeless. January is probably not the best time to try living in a tent, or car, out in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the link Benessee!

BENESSE
07-25-2010, 10:09 PM
OK you said Ranches.....I wanna' see you on a horse!!! Pics or it didn't happen!!(We already know you have the Cowgirl boots!!)

Stayed in a lodge with a ranch but didn't ride any horses. Unfortunately. Love horses, love being around them but just haven't learned to ride properly so didn't even try. Wouldn't want to insult a horse--too much respect. (Yeah, go ahead and laugh.)

BENESSE
07-25-2010, 10:15 PM
BTW...I was looking at the link some more and thought that a lot of the jobs offered would be perfect for some of our younger members (16+ to qualify) who, I'm convinced, would love and really benefit from the experience. So many amazing places to choose from.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
07-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Stayed in a lodge with a ranch but didn't ride any horses. Unfortunately. Love horses, love being around them but just haven't learned to ride properly so didn't even try. Wouldn't want to insult a horse--too much respect. (Yeah, go ahead and laugh.)

Bennesse my dear, such places have horses that teach people believe it or not. You tell them your experience level and they put you with the right horse!! Next time go for it!!! Just don't tell them something like "I can ride anything with hair on it" or they will give you the testiest, meanest bronc they have!!! LOL

Sourdough
07-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Next time go for it!!! Just don't tell them something like "I can ride anything with hair on it" or they will give you the testiest, meanest bronc they have!!! LOL

That is what I said to the hostess at the "Mustang Ranch"........:):):)

BENESSE
07-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Bennesse my dear, such places have horses that teach people believe it or not. You tell them your experience level and they put you with the right horse!! Next time go for it!!! Just don't tell them something like "I can ride anything with hair on it" or they will give you the testiest, meanest bronc they have!!! LOL

Funny you should say that Poco.
At the Elephant Head Lodge in WY they were trying to get me to go horseback riding on some trails. I declined saying I had no experience and the "head cowboy" said with a grin...no problem, we have a horse who's never been ridden. :)

In actuality, there was hardly enough time to get into anything of substance on this trip. We drove a great deal to get from one place to the next, and once there, checked out all the important sites and went on short hikes when we could. So much to do, so little time. As always.

BENESSE
07-26-2010, 07:45 AM
That is what I said to the hostess at the "Mustang Ranch"........:):):)

How did that work out for you?

Sourdough
07-26-2010, 08:16 AM
How did that work out for you?

Do you know the Motto at the Mustang Ranch........? "The Mustang Ranch; Where the Quality keeps them Coming"

BENESSE
07-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Do you know the Motto at the Mustang Ranch........? "The Mustang Ranch; Where the Quality keeps them Coming"

That's good. Wish I'd come up with that.

hunter63
07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Great idea, keep in mind that the pay isn't too good, but, hey beats Mickey D's...

I have some retired friends that are "Hosts" at different campgrounds.
I think there is a directory they told me about.......I'll look for it.

rwc1969
07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
I saw a bus driver job for 12..00 an hour in Denali I think it was. I don't know what the cost of living up there is compared to here, but, I'd be real happy with 12 an hour right now.

I've saw entry level IT jobs here that pay 2/3 of that.

hunter63
07-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Looking over the lists on that listed site, seem most listed are food service/custodial type openings. Minimum wage.
I suppose you have to know some one to get a real good job.

Growing up in a small town close to a tourist area, lot of seasonal type jobs.
Teachers/older collage students spent summers working as bartenders, wait staff, cooks, resort staff etc.

It was interesting that they would want to hire people from farther away, not local, as they became rather a captive work force, and didn't want to go home in the evenings.

As I was local, I worked as a "porter" at a large resort, night shift for the three weeks, till the large city schools let out, then lost my job to "returning personnel".

A few people are still doing these jobs after 30-40 years, traveling to warmer climates for winter months, seems to be a life style more than a job.

Rick
07-26-2010, 02:36 PM
If you are interested in a particular job the Occupational Outlook Handbook with tell you what you can expect out of the job in terms of security and income. There are thousands of jobs listed.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/oco2003.htm

DOGMAN
07-27-2010, 10:43 PM
i've lived my entire life in "cool places' and spent all my working life working "cool jobs" in the Northern Rockies, and I've I had alot of fun- but not much to show for it...being a raft guide is cool at 25, at 40...well, its just a little weird!

Rick
07-27-2010, 10:45 PM
I have to imagine the reflexes start slowing down at 40.

At 25......

Grabs guy going out of boat. "Hang on there buddy. We almost lost you."

At 40.....

Splash! "Dang it! There goes another one."

BENESSE
07-27-2010, 10:50 PM
i've lived my entire life in "cool places' and spent all my working life working "cool jobs" in the Northern Rockies, and I've I had alot of fun- but not much to show for it...being a raft guide is cool at 25, at 40...well, its just a little weird!

Well at least ladies dig it, right?

hunter63
07-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Well, the difference between 25 and 40 is recovery time.................

BENESSE
07-28-2010, 11:00 AM
I'll take 40 any day. Could you picture James Bond at 25? No, me neither.

jsonlong
07-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Here is something on a related note, http://wwoof.org/

It is more about volunteering although some will pay you. You'll at least get food and shelter. I thought about doing something in Alaska for 1 month but chickened out. Problem with current living situation and job.

crashdive123
07-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Here is something on a related note, http://wwoof.org/

It is more about volunteering although some will pay you. You'll at least get food and shelter. I thought about doing something in Alaska for 1 month but chickened out. Problem with current living situation and job.

Wild Woman (haven't heard from her in a bit - hope she's OK) often talked about that group.

BushedOut
07-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Ha Ha.. I agree. There are certain jobs that do not age well but it looks like a great site Im going to pass it onto my nephew..

DOGMAN
07-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Well at least ladies dig it, right?

Yes, I reel the ladies in BIG TIME! If I don't win them over with my amazing raft guiding skills and deep, dark tan then mentioning that I have nearly 40 dogs tied to chains in my backyard (which is 18 miles down a dirt road) gets them everytime! LOL...

finallyME
07-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Yes, I reel the ladies in BIG TIME! If I don't win them over with my amazing raft guiding skills and deep, dark tan then mentioning that I have nearly 40 dogs tied to chains in my backyard (which is 18 miles down a dirt road) gets them everytime! LOL...

Maybe you should share some of them ladies with Sourdough. Hey, maybe Sourdough should be a rafting guide.

BENESSE
07-30-2010, 06:03 PM

I'd skip the "tied to chains" part until you propose.
See if that doesn't work a little better.

Rick
07-30-2010, 07:36 PM
I tend to walk through the perfume section at Macy's with 100 dollar bills hanging out of my pockets. I call it "trolling for babes". The key is to keep the bait slightly ahead of the fish. In this game, once they take the bait, games over.

BENESSE
07-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I tend to walk through the perfume section at Macy's with 100 dollar bills hanging out of my pockets. I call it "trolling for babes". The key is to keep the bait slightly ahead of the fish. In this game, once they take the bait, games over.

Is Mrs. Rick aware of this or was it her idea?

Rick
07-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Mrs. Rick took the bait. What can I say?

BENESSE
07-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Can't mess with success. A lucky girl, that Mrs. Rick.

BENESSE
08-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Applications are being taken through midnight, Eastern time, on August 25

"Individuals who land part-time work leading elk-culling operations in Theodore Roosevelt National Park will be relatively well-paid for their time.

According to a job posting for the five positions, the guides will earn somewhere between $19 and $22 an hour for heading into the park's backcountry in search of elk between October 1 and January 31.

Under the park's elk management plan, teams of park staff and volunteers will shoot cow elk so as to reduce the overall herd numbers."

More here:
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2010/08/guides-hired-elk-culling-operations-theodore-roosevelt-national-park-will-be-well-paid6420

Rick
08-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Biting insects?! Are you serious? Count me out. No way.

BENESSE
08-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Biting insects?! Are you serious? Count me out. No way.

I thought you liked DEET...if I remember correctly. :sneaky2:

Rick
08-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Well yeah, but that's my after shave. It's good for insects, too?