PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Ice Cream

Justin Case
07-24-2010, 10:29 AM
One of my fondest memories as a boy is sitting on Grandpa and Grandmas front porch making Home Made Ice Cream, They are Both long passed now, But when i was young we used to make an annual pilgrimage from Southern California to Sterling Colorado to Visit , Their House and town was exactly like Mayberry, My cousin and I would run amuk in that sleepy little town when we were there , LOL, but I remember sitting on the front porch swing waiting for my turn to crank the handle of that OLD ice cream maker, Its a fond memory indeed, I can almost taste that ice cream as i type :) Thats the only place I can remember ever making it, Does anyone still make ice cream at home ?

Rick
07-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I bet you were waiting for your turn on the handle. Waiting with whines of, "Do I have to? My arm hurts. When is the ice cream gonna be done? Can we look inside? I'm tired. I got my pants wet. My hand's sore. It's some else's turn. I don't want any darned old ice cream. Can we go to D.Q.?"

equus
07-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't but am looking for an old ice maker. I want to share and make memories for my boys.

Justin Case
07-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I bet you were waiting for your turn on the handle. Waiting with whines of, "Do I have to? My arm hurts. When is the ice cream gonna be done? Can we look inside? I'm tired. I got my pants wet. My hand's sore. It's some else's turn. I don't want any darned old ice cream. Can we go to D.Q.?"

LOL,, no, For a 10 yr old boy, Making ice cream was fun ! I remember wondering why we had to crank the handle to make it freeze though, after all , it was already in ice ,, lol,, I thought the adding of salt rock was just to screw with our heads ! lol

LowKey
07-24-2010, 07:54 PM
We used to make it. No desire to now. Too much work. But I do have a dairy not too many miles away that makes their own. What I'd spend in ingredients pays for the gas to get there and buy a cone. :)

edr730
07-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Electric ones yes, but I guess we haven't made it with the old hand crank and wood bucket for about 5 years. You have to keep the wood bucket in water or it won't hold the melted water. The cranks get salt and wear out. The rings on the bucket rust and breaks. One day nobodys there to take care of it all. Those are all good memories to me too. My sister sitting on the bucket holding it down while I took my turn to crank.