PDA

View Full Version : Living With Wolves

Rick
12-23-2007, 11:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone watched Living With Wolves on the Discovery Channel tonight and what you thought of the show.

Nativedude
12-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Excellent Documentary!! ;)

Rick
12-24-2007, 12:45 PM
It certainly offered some incredible insight into the family structure of the wolf pack. I think it also highlights how easy it would be to domesticate an animal like the wolf over many generations.

EDIT: I caught a National Geographic special this afternoon on Prehistoric Predators: the Dire Wolf. It was a good show but they had the most amazing video of gray wolves attacking a lone buffalo. There were probably 7 or 8 of the wolves on the attack. It last for 36 hours(!) before they finally dropped the buffalo. It was an incredible display of survival on both their parts.

LadyTrapper
12-26-2007, 10:30 PM
I caught bits and pieces of this show, and it left me wanting for more. I will have to keep an eye out for re-airing...it looked like an awesome show!

corndog-44
12-27-2007, 02:45 AM
EDIT: I caught a National Geographic special this afternoon on Prehistoric Predators: the Dire Wolf. It was a good show but they had the most amazing video of gray wolves attacking a lone buffalo. There were probably 7 or 8 of the wolves on the attack. It last for 36 hours(!) before they finally dropped the buffalo. It was an incredible display of survival on both their parts.

Flipping the coin. Wolves just don't attack buffalo; I saw on the news just the other day where 7 wolves attacked 3 women while walking their dogs just outside of Anchorage, Alaska. They say that the wolves have learned that dogs are easier pry than moose.

RBB
12-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Should be a good year for wolves, up our way. Lots of snow. Bad for the deer, though.

Rick
12-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Corndog-There is a pack of wolves in Yellowstone that specialize in just Buffalo.

corndog-44
12-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Rick...And coyotes.

Rick
12-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Don't understand the coyotes reference. Do you mean wolf hunt coyotes or coyotes hunt bison?

For everyone's viewing, here's a video of wolves hunting bison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT_3QiWQh8M

corndog-44
12-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Don't understand the coyotes reference. Do you mean wolf hunt coyotes or coyotes hunt bison?

For everyone's viewing, here's a video of wolves hunting bison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT_3QiWQh8M

Wolf hunt coyotes.

Rick
12-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Cool. I can see why they would. The pack offers a lot of offensive and defensive opportunities a solitary animal doesn't have. I've even seen videos of a wolf pack attacking a bear and her cub. I doubt a coyote would stand much of a chance against a determined pack.

wildWoman
12-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Flipping the coin. Wolves just don't attack buffalo; I saw on the news just the other day where 7 wolves attacked 3 women while walking their dogs just outside of Anchorage, Alaska. They say that the wolves have learned that dogs are easier pry than moose.

I would guess the wolves were going for the dogs, not the women. It happens every winter up in the north when wolves are having a hard time bringing down other prey. But as soon as winter conditions change, those wolves go after their normal prey again. So it usually happens that one year dogs in one village get killed by wolves, then not anymore for a few years. People's reaction to this is mixed, I mean of course you'd be upset if it was your dog. But in some places people accept it more as part of the environment that we live in than others. Some conclude that incidents such as these call for the extermination of wolves. Always makes me wonder if they'd also be calling for the extermination of vehicles and car drivers if their dog got run over......It's the same end result, a dead dog, the strange thing is that somehow getting run over by a car is acceptable but killed by wolves is not. Guess the same is true for grizzly bear maulings of people, come to think of it......