PDA

View Full Version : NY man faces charges after tackling teen prankster

Justin Case
07-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Whats this world coming to ? :sneaky2:

NY man faces charges after tackling teen prankster
GEORGE M. WALSH - 7/22/2010 7:20:13 PM
A homeowner in his underwear chased down and tackled one of four teens who rang his doorbell and fled in a late-night prank called "ding dong ditch," leading to charges against the homeowner but not the boy.

The teen was bloodied by the takedown. The homeowner, Daniel Van Plew, and the boy's family disagree over the amount of force used and about where the tackle happened occurred, which could make a difference under the laws that define self-defense.

Van Plew, 37, told police in this upscale suburb south of New York's capital city that he was preparing to go to bed shortly after 10 p.m. Saturday when four teenagers pounded on his back door, rang his front doorbell and then ran.

Van Plew said he feared for the safety of his two children and his wife. He chased after the teens, caught the 14-year-old and then made him wait in his home while he called police. The teen suffered a cut on his elbow, a bruise over his eye and a bloody lip, according to the police report.

"There's no winner in this kind of a thing, right? It's just a bad deal," Van Plew told WCBS-TV.

Van Plew caught the boy on his property, according to a police report, but the boy's father told a newspaper that the boy was tackled off the property. New York self-defense laws give people more leeway when defending themselves on their own property.

There is also a discrepancy between Van Plew and the father over how much force was used and why.

The boy's father told the Times Union of Albany that Van Plew pinned his son's arm behind his back, applied pressure and threatened to kill him if he tried to escape. Van Plew's lawyer told the newspaper that the boy claimed to have a knife in his pocket and threatened to kill the homeowner. The boy didn't have a knife.

Van Plew, a pharmaceutical executive, has been charged with endangering a child and harassment. He must answer the misdemeanor and violation charges in town court on Aug. 3. He wasn't charged with assault because the boy's injuries were not serious enough, Bethlehem police Lt. Robert Berben said.

The teen, who is not being identified, faces no charges. He initially was charged with trespass, but that's a violation level offense that can't be pursued against juveniles in family court, according to Berben.

The case has been referred to the Albany County District Attorney's office.

The home is in a relatively new subdivision of small but upscale homes that sell for $350,000 to $400,000. There was no answer at Van Plew's two-story house on Thursday.
http://onenewsnow.com/AP/Search/US/Default.aspx?id=1097652

Rick
07-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Either way, I bet that's one doorbell that doesn't get rung by kids going forward.

sgtdraino
07-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Juveniles can't be charged with trespassing?

That's horsesh!t.

Justin Case
07-23-2010, 10:20 AM
The home is in a relatively new subdivision of small but upscale homes that sell for $350,000 to $400,000. There was no answer at Van Plew's two-story house on Thursday.

Thats Probably a good thing :innocent:

Ken
07-23-2010, 11:18 AM
There are so many things wrong with this story. Van Plew should have never been charged for his actions. At the very least, the kid was trespassing and harassing Van Plew and HIS family. I'll bet that the kid threw a punch at Van Plew when Van Plew confronted the kid on his own property in the dark. :innocent:

This is the first time I've ever heard that juveniles are immune from prosecution for trespassing. And the kid's father has a lot of b@lls to complain that his poor little boy had his little arm twisted. His fingers should have been broken instead.

And, although I believe that Van Plew should not have been charged at all, since when is a cut on an elbow, a bruise over an eye and a bloody lip "not serious enough" to warrant an assault charge. In Mass, that would be "assault AND battery."

It's not only the laws in this country that are all screwed up; the way that the law is enforced by many police officials and prosecutors is screwed up as well.

Justin Case
07-23-2010, 12:05 PM
And, although I believe that Van Plew should not have been charged at all, since when is a cut on an elbow, a bruise over an eye and a bloody lip "not serious enough" to warrant an assault charge. In Mass, that would be "assault AND battery."

Thats true, a lot less than that will get you a Domestic Violence charge (I watch "Cops" !) :blushing:

kyratshooter
07-23-2010, 12:24 PM
In our area we do not have "family court". There is civil, criminal and juvinile. A juvinile can be charged with any crime an adult can.

To me this is the least damaging prank available in the juvinile world. The guy was awakened a couple of times and lost it. An "upscale" neighborhood would get quick response from LE in most situations. He should have called first. Perhaps he did and has a reputation as a nut case.

As a kid we used to pick on the houses we knew we could trigger a response from. This guy probably already has a reputation and draws this attention.

He's lucky, in some areas the 14 year olds are pulling off home invasions and robbing convinience stores.

The kids are lucky because if they did this in my neighborhood someone would fill their butts with rock salt. Probably the juvinile judge that lives around the corner.

Asger
07-23-2010, 12:46 PM
I am still a kid (14 years old), and while i have never done this prank, since i find it stupid and harrassing, my friends do it every once in a while, and there is this numb nut right across my street that once beat up one of my friends, and nobody dares to prank him. However, about 10 kids from the class below mine harrassed him ALOT one day by pissing on his ground, throwing rocks into his gardens etc. as a revenge.

rwc1969
07-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Wow! I wonder what you all would do if it was your kid that got caught "knocking" on doors. Would you still feel the same way?

I think some of the statements here are pretty harsh, but that's just me. I would not be one bit happy if a kid was doing this to me, but I don't consider it a capital offense either. I would try to find out where he lives and tell his parents, or if I was timid I would let the police tell them for me.

I wouldn't even consider it criminal myself. Ringing a doorbell is a crime?

Not having been there myself it's hard to draw a solid conclusion, but it sounds like the homeowner seriously over-reacted and his statements seem somewhat fabricated.

Now, he'll be lucky if he doesn't get sued over it.

rwc1969
07-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Either way, I bet that's one doorbell that doesn't get rung by kids going forward.

That's what I was thinking initially, but if word gets out, which it has, he'll probably be getting a hell night he'll never forget for years to come. And, he will be the one thinking twice from now on.

Justin Case
07-23-2010, 03:09 PM
That's what I was thinking initially, but if word gets out, which it has, he'll probably be getting a hell night he'll never forget for years to come. And, he will be the one thinking twice from now on.

No doubt he will get real good at removing dried egg off his house and cars :innocent:

Ken
07-23-2010, 03:14 PM
rwc,

Think about the world we live in today. The man was home at 10:00 at night. His wife and two children - people he will likely protect until he is dead - were home. He hears the front doorbell ringing and somebody else pounding on the back door at the same time. Probably heard what sounded to him like a home invasion in progress.

It's all a matter of being smart enough to not screw around with other people. Sometimes the response is a lot more than you bargained for.

Ken
07-23-2010, 03:15 PM
No doubt he will get real good at removing dried egg off his house and cars :innocent:

Ever hear the line, "You don't know who you're messin' with?" :innocent:

Justin Case
07-23-2010, 03:17 PM
where i live those kids could be charged with a few things, Trespass, Disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, are a few that come to mind,,

Camp10
07-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Ding dong ditch??? Really? It was always called "ring and run" back when I was....umm, never mind:innocent:

I'm with RWC on this one..this dude is going to get TP'd on a nightly basis! I just hope he knows the flaming paper bag on his porch is also full of dog $hit!

My wife always gets mad if someone smashes one of our pumpkins or pranks our house on Halloween. I just laugh and tell her it is karma catching up with me.

Justin Case
07-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Ever hear the line, "You don't know who you're messin' with?" :innocent:

Yeah, but how do you stop a random drive by ?

Ken
07-23-2010, 03:18 PM
And by the way, everybody...........

I've got somewhat of a problem with the fact that these 14-year-old kids were out roaming the neighborhood, unsupervised by an adult, at 10:00 at night.

Ken
07-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah, but how do you stop a random drive by ?

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation. :)

Justin Case
07-23-2010, 03:27 PM
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation. :)

Kids Dont know that,, I agree with the others, If not them, some other kids (friends) will prank his house, sooner or later.. (I would have at that age ) :innocent:

rwc1969
07-24-2010, 01:31 AM
I'm with you Ken, but the guy went after the kid. Him and his family were in no danger till he left the house. Then, he subjected his self to danger. Kids have been running wild for many decades now.

The guy is seriously lucky it wasn't me and my frineds at age 15. He would not have faired so well. We'da made him say uncle. LOL1 But, then again, I count my lucky stars because we could have easily got shot or worse doing the things we did back then. And when I was a kid they sure did prosecute for trespassing or anything else for that matter. Unfortunately for me I wasn't a bad kid, but ran with a bunch o' heathens trying to fit in as a fatherless child with no real guidance other than a mother that did her best to raise two unruly teenage boys in a town that had no other outlet for our teenage angst.

It's a different world we live in today and everyone, both sides, need to think before they act. That was the point I wanted to drive home. And also the fact that just because the kids were running around....Hmm, what did we call that growing up? I don't recall, But, it doesn't always mean they're bad kids, misguided maybe, but probably just good kids trying to relieve some boredom in a bad way.

Asger
07-24-2010, 07:35 AM
And by the way, everybody...........

I've got somewhat of a problem with the fact that these 14-year-old kids were out roaming the neighborhood, unsupervised by an adult, at 10:00 at night.

Wah Ken, you should see the kids of my age. Last night, we wen't to the beach, some stayed till 2 am and got really drunk... Unsupervised, of course. And those kids are some who never make troubles and do the best in school - and there were no problems at all - no fighting, drama, and nobody got hurt :)

Ken
07-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Wah Ken, you should see the kids of my age. Last night, we wen't to the beach, some stayed till 2 am and got really drunk... Unsupervised, of course. And those kids are some who never make troubles and do the best in school - and there were no problems at all - no fighting, drama, and nobody got hurt :)

What? :innocent:

Just the fact that these kids (not quite sure of your ages) got drunk at 2 am at the beach is a concern to me. It's all fun and games until somebody decides to go for a swim and drowns.

Justin Case
07-24-2010, 09:30 AM

Just the fact that these kids (not quite sure of your ages) got drunk at 2 am at the beach is a concern to me. It's all fun and games until somebody decides to go for a swim and drowns.

Or gets Pregnant :innocent:

rwc1969
07-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Ah, pregnant drowning teeenagers, I miss the good ole days.

2dumb2kwit
07-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Wow! I wonder what you all would do if it was your kid that got caught "knocking" on doors. Would you still feel the same way?

I think some of the statements here are pretty harsh, but that's just me. I would not be one bit happy if a kid was doing this to me, but I don't consider it a capital offense either. I would try to find out where he lives and tell his parents, or if I was timid I would let the police tell them for me.

I wouldn't even consider it criminal myself. Ringing a doorbell is a crime?

Not having been there myself it's hard to draw a solid conclusion, but it sounds like the homeowner seriously over-reacted and his statements seem somewhat fabricated.

Now, he'll be lucky if he doesn't get sued over it.

I'd have a grounded 14 year old at home, with a cut elbow, bruised head, busted lip, and a tore-up arse!:sneaky2:

rwc1969
07-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Ya, me too 2D. I'd make him go apalogize and do some kind of work for the guy too to make up for it. But, I wouldn't want him getting shot or sent to juvee over it.

and, I wouldn't press charges for the guy kicking his *** either, but the state would, so, I'd have no choice in that matter.

In Michigan if you hurt a kid the state will hang you out to dry unless you can prove without a doubt that it was in defense of your life, etc. You can't even spank a kid here or you go to jail. The kid, defendant and victim have absolutely no say in the matter.

Asger
07-24-2010, 03:35 PM

Thats true, however, nobody went into the water.

Oh, and im in no way trying to offend you guys, im just noticing that there are quite some huge differences between Denmark and the US.