PDA

View Full Version : My first Hand Forged Knife

flandersander
07-21-2010, 02:02 AM
I was gonna name it Flander's Ugly Knives, but I think the acronym for that would be violating site rules.. :blushing:

Anyways, here's a little piece I whipped up for my girlfriend. It was a High Carbon railroad spike. It worked out well, because it had an H "popping out" from the butt of the knife, and her name is Holly. She couldn't figure out how I made it "pop out" like that, and I'm not about to tell her. For those that do not know, the H stands for High Carbon. Some railroad spikes are needed with a higher carbon content, which makes for a better knife. Unfortunatly even "High Carbon" spikes are relatively soft, and do not make the best blade. But it looks nice. I'm rambling. In the second pic, you can see how it goes from polished, to ground but smooth, to a grippy handle. I left the scale on. It's very balanced in my hand, and it's very nice to hold. My first forged knife. haha. Thoughts? Will the scale on the handle keep from rusting? I know scale is oxidation, but it's different than rust... right?

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee325/flandersander/100_1726.jpg

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee325/flandersander/100_1727.jpg

crashdive123
07-21-2010, 06:39 AM
That turned out great Flandersander.

panch0
07-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Sweet! I have a handful of those spikes, makes me want to try it out.

Rick
07-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Nice job. That should make a good all around knife. The pummel would smart something fierce if she used it to defend herself. The guy would be easy enough to spot. He'd be the one with the H stamped in his forehead. Great job!

Justin Case
07-21-2010, 11:24 AM
I was gonna name it Flander's Ugly Knives, but I think the acronym for that would be violating site rules..

LOL,, I like the acronym,, ha,,,, Knife looks good to me :)

flandersander
07-21-2010, 11:39 AM
He'd be the one with the H stamped in his forehead. Great job!

Hahaha! Never thought of that. lol. It didn't turn our exactly like I wanted, as I'm sure most don't. I wanted it to be a mirror finish, but I just couldn't get the scratches out from my belt sander. And another tool really wrecked it for me, my flander sander... :blushing: gosh I slay myself. I learned you can't go from a 400 grit belt to a 1500 grit piece of paper. You gotta work your way up a bit more. I gotta find some finer belts.

crashdive123
07-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Sweet! I have a handful of those spikes, makes me want to try it out.

I picked up about 100 spikes while doing that yellow jacket job for the railroad.

In other news - the Jacksonville train derailment of 2010 has been attributed to missing railroad spikes.:innocent:

panch0
07-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I picked up about 100 spikes while doing that yellow jacket job for the railroad.

In other news - the Jacksonville train derailment of 2010 has been attributed to missing railroad spikes.:innocent:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=117&pictureid=1994

welderguy
07-21-2010, 01:38 PM
That looks pretty good , nice job

Batch
07-21-2010, 08:30 PM

There was a guy named Buster that derailed a train down here when he was a teenager. He thought instead of flattening pennies on the tracks, he would do a spike. :innocent:

Even though he was a teen when he did it. They gave him a couple of years to think about it.

crashdive123
07-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Gotta get some batteries for my head lamp. Anybody know how hard it is to put spikes back in at night? Don't want somebody yelling - HEY YOU!!! BUSTER!!! - at me.

rebel
07-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Nice job on the knife!

flandersander
07-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks Guys!