PDA

View Full Version : What style knives do you use on game

panch0
07-20-2010, 11:23 PM
I would like to know what kind of knives you use to gut, skin and quarter game. Do you use one knife for all steps, or do you use two or more different knives to perform certain tasks? I know one could use one knife for all things if you know what you are doing, but I would like to know what you use on your hunting trips. Thanks in advance. I have some ideas drawn up in this thread but I was just brainstorming. Thanks!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12779

your_comforting_company
07-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Old Timer Sharpfinger. Model 1520T. You only need 1 good knife to take an animal apart the way the good lord put him together. Check the butchering and skinning thread to see it in action.
Of course I like to carry my pocketknife ALWAYS, but when processing game I only use my sharpfinger.

your_comforting_company
07-21-2010, 06:17 AM
sorry. heres the link:
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9162

rwc1969
07-21-2010, 07:37 AM
I don't have a particular knife, but a couple fixed blade Bucks do most of the work on deer. I usually use kitchen knives to process the deer off the bone though.

For squirrels and such I typically use a Ka-bar or Imperial folder, non-locking blade, and for fish I use the original Rapalas.

The only knife I'm dead set on using is the Rapalas for fish.

Ole WV Coot
07-21-2010, 08:02 AM
I just used a Case stock man for many years. I now use a Nesmuk style for most everything. I do like a Buck skinner but still rely on anything up to elephant size.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-21-2010, 08:49 AM
I would like to know what kind of knives you use to gut, skin and quarter game. Do you use one knife for all steps, or do you use two or more different knives to perform certain tasks? I know one could use one knife for all things if you know what you are doing, but I would like to know what you use on your hunting trips. Thanks in advance. I have some ideas drawn up in this thread but I was just brainstorming. Thanks!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12779

Once again I must not know what I'm doing having done it so much. If you knew anything why would you pose the question? Yes it can be done with one knife. You can also sink your teeth into the meat and eat it right off the bone.

Rick
07-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Wow! That sure came across condescending! People skills. Think people skills.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Wow! That sure came across condescending! People skills. Think people skills.

On his other thread on the same subject I gave him the whys and reasons which no one else did then he starts another thread contradicting say "if you know what you are doing". You people are going to find if you ever get to remote areas that the locals who live there will let you starve rather than put up with it. A lot of people that live further out don't have people skills and won't be insulted no matter how slippery it is done.

Justin Case
07-21-2010, 09:22 AM
So What AS, You think you are the Authority on Knives around here ? Guess what , you're Not, Your post was Rude and Uncalled for IMO. (not that my opinion matters, But it is what it is)

panch0
07-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Its alright guys, I guess I worded the question wrong, sorry about that. No offence meant AS. I did post this thread before you responded though, so it wasn't aimed at you ar anything. I figured some folks don't visit the knife thread so I started a similar thread here. Also YCC posted he uses a sharpfinger, but he wasn't talking down those who use more. He knows what he is doing as well. I understand that folks use different methods and that is how I TRIED to form the question. Thanks for the feed back on the other thread though, a fillet knife sounds like a great idea. He has one I sold him that he uses for just that same job.

Rick
07-21-2010, 10:45 AM
No, it's not alright. We don't have to be jerks to each other to make a post. The rules of conduct on here are pretty straight forward. One of the nice things about this forum is we maintain a degree of civility. You can expect to ask a dumb question or make a dumb statement and not have someone hand you your head. After all, everyone tosses out a dumb one from time to time. Lord knows I've done my share. Your question was pretty straight forward. It got misread.

If there is a disagreement or clarification is needed then we should take it off line and try to resolve it.

AS - I've been around a bit. Not as long as some but a while. I've come to believe that a good number of folks that live in the bush do so because they can't live anywhere else. Their ability to survive in my world would be just as short as my ability to live in theirs. The thing that should tie us all together is a tad bit of humanity. By definition, "The quality of being humane; the kind feelings, dispositions, and sympathies of man; especially, a disposition to relieve persons or animals in distress, and to treat all creatures with kindness and tenderness."

Our emotions are our own. No one can make us angry. We can only give up our responsibility for them and allow ourselves to become mad. - Rick

Sourdough
07-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Most Alaska Hunting Guides use a "EX-ACTO" knife for turning lips, ears, nose, and working down to the last knuckle above the claw on bears. Whether it is a small muskrat skinner, or exacto with replaceable insert blades, the tool needs to be small, thin, and able to work it like you hold a pencil.

For fleshing the hide I want "NO" sharp point, and a lot of belly on the blade. Note: this blade can be used for much of the hide removal on large game.

I am not a lover or user of "Gut-hooks", that is just my personal opinion, and I have always assumed they were for relatively inexperienced game processors, No offense intended.

For 99% of field work there is no need for a point on a knife, but people feel a knife does not look like a knife without some type of point.

So for the "MAIN" knife (Which is used much more for processing onions, potato's, and slicing spam, and general hide removal) I like a drop point, lots of belly, and I round off the sharp point, so it has about a 1/8" radius on the point. About a 4" to 4 3/4" blade, and the spine needs to be such that you can choke-up on the knife and get your thumb up on the spine without cutting you thumb.

For boning out the meat, a 6" to 8" boning knife with a semi-flexible blade is good.

For butchering a 12" or 14" clip point butchering knife.

For field work knives should clean easy with cold water, so I avoid deep textured handles, as it is hard to get dried meat and blood and hair out quickly in Ice Cold water.

This is just my opinion, and not meant to step on anyone Else's opinion of what works for them.

crashdive123
07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
No, it's not alright. We don't have to be jerks to each other to make a post. The rules of conduct on here are pretty straight forward. One of the nice things about this forum is we maintain a degree of civility. You can expect to ask a dumb question or make a dumb statement and not have someone hand you your head. After all, everyone tosses out a dumb one from time to time. Lord knows I've done my share. Your question was pretty straight forward. It got misread.

If there is a disagreement or clarification is needed then we should take it off line and try to resolve it.

AS - I've been around a bit. Not as long as some but a while. I've come to believe that a good number of folks that live in the bush do so because they can't live anywhere else. Their ability to survive in my world would be just as short as my ability to live in theirs. The thing that should tie us all together is a tad bit of humanity. By definition, "The quality of being humane; the kind feelings, dispositions, and sympathies of man; especially, a disposition to relieve persons or animals in distress, and to treat all creatures with kindness and tenderness."

Our emotions are our own. No one can make us angry. We can only give up our responsibility for them and allow ourselves to become mad. - Rick

+1............

nell67
07-21-2010, 12:42 PM

+2...............

Justin Case
07-21-2010, 01:32 PM

Ooo,, I like this statement, words to live by :)

rwc1969
07-21-2010, 02:08 PM
what is this thing you speak of Rick? People skilss! :)

Personally, I am very much people skill wise, but, in life working the kinds of jobs I have and growing up with the kind of friends I have I tend to throw them out the window when I'm BS'ing.

Have you ever watched Deadliest Catch? Those are the kind of guys I'm used to dealing with. We are all thick skinned, girls too, and expect a degree of smart assedness or whatever you like to call it. Condescending behavior is expected to an extent or else we throw you off the boat because we simply can not relate and are made to feel uncomfortable.

Of course if I'm doing an interview, speaking with a customer, VP, etc. I maintain an elevated sense of decency. But, we're not doing interviews here are we? We're just BS ing about knives, national security, politics or what have you.

And, I think sourdough is right on. The kitchen knives I use have similar traits although I do like somewhat of a point in most cases. The only time I need or would even want a fine point is when filleting fish though.

Swamprat1958
07-21-2010, 05:19 PM
+2...............

+3...........

Sourdough
07-22-2010, 12:15 AM
although I do like somewhat of a point in most cases.

My problem with sharp points is they tend to nick the hide, either the animals hide or my hide. I have a ulu with a knife type handle that works well.

flandersander
07-22-2010, 01:48 AM
Most Alaska Hunting Guides use a "EX-ACTO" knife for turning lips, ears, nose, and working down to the last knuckle above the claw on bears. Whether it is a small muskrat skinner, or exacto with replaceable insert blades, the tool needs to be small, thin, and able to work it like you hold a pencil.

For fleshing the hide I want "NO" sharp point, and a lot of belly on the blade. Note: this blade can be used for much of the hide removal on large game.

For 99% of field work there is no need for a point on a knife, but people feel a knife does not look like a knife without some type of point.

So for the "MAIN" knife (Which is used much more for processing onions, potato's, and slicing spam, and general hide removal) I like a drop point, lots of belly, and I round off the sharp point, so it has about a 1/8" radius on the point. About a 4" to 4 3/4" blade, and the spine needs to be such that you can choke-up on the knife and get your thumb up on the spine without cutting you thumb.

I get beaked all the time about using an exacto knife (hobby blade) for getting tails and noses etc. I agree with your "no sharp point" thing too. In fact, take a look at the knife I made for my girlfriend. You'll notice the lack of a sharp point...

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12785

Ole WV Coot
07-22-2010, 07:23 AM
I re-read this just to see what others use. Frank, you do good work and there are never dumb questions only dumb answers. I kinda think you just might be deciding on a certain type of blade to make. I could be wrong but I don't think you need to back up for anybody. I answer what I feel like, too old to care what anybody thinks and I did get the T shirt. I am hard to impress and I think you don't need to back up for anybody. My personal opinion and as to anyone else, I don't really care.

Rick
07-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Yes you do. You love us and you know it.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-22-2010, 12:59 PM
PanchO, I appologize, seems the misunderstanding was mine. Rick, +4, you're right. Especially that some of us just aren't cultured enough for polite society.

Sourdough
07-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Damn Alaskans, just a bunch of Heathen, Barbarians.

Rick
07-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Cold, Heathen, Barbarians.

panch0
07-22-2010, 03:09 PM
No need to apologize man, I know almost every one here knows way more about the topics discussed here than I do. The only thing I am half way good at is gettin in trouble and makin knives. Lol Thanks every one for the feedback!

klickitat
07-24-2010, 05:20 PM
I used a sharp finger for years and switched about 6 years ago to the same knife with a gut hook. Just the opposite as some others and here is why.

I like the steel Schrade uses. You can easily put a blazing razer's edge on it, but they do not hold the edge as long as others. Being easy to put an edge back on it works for me though and I just need to touch them up about half way through a deer.

I was out with an old timer who had one of those sissy gut hooks and I teased him until he split the legs on a dear faster then I had ever even imagined it was possible. I went out and bout the same sharp finger model I was used to suing, but the new one had the gut hook and was not quite as sharp at the point, which did help keep from popping holes in the hide.

One of the great things about using the gut gook to split the legs on deer and elk is that it saves the blade edge. I can do an entire deer now with out resharpening and almost an entire elk.

flandersander
07-28-2010, 01:38 AM
I find that when using most gut hooks, I get lots of hair in the meat. Does anybody else find that?

finallyME
07-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Well, I am probably the least experienced here on this topic. So far I have skinned a bunch of rabbits (like 6) and a bunch of fish. For the rabbits, I have only tried using two types of knives, an exacto and a Mora. The exacto blades were brand new, never used. The Mora won hands down in ease of use and sharpness. So, that is my limited experience.