PDA

View Full Version : Love,Hate relationship

Stargazer
07-16-2010, 02:02 PM
As some of you know its Dew Berry picking time.I am starting to hate the plants.The last two days I swear the plants are out to get me.I have taken more thorns and small little prickers out of me. My fingers,arms and legs are beaten up. Not to mention the few im my back side the wife gets to remove when she gets home from work tonight.

Now that the complaining is done with here are the sweet,sweet rewards.

crashdive123
07-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Those of us that have had the privilege of sampling your jam appreciate the hard work, dedication and blood that it takes for you to make a jam that is second to none.

(now if that ain't a suck up, I don't know what is):innocent:

Rick
07-16-2010, 03:00 PM
And those of us that haven't tasted it would appreciate it if we did sample it. (dang QC gets all the luck)

Stargazer
07-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Crash, that was a nice suck up. I'm impressed.

Rick
07-16-2010, 08:05 PM
He's shameless like that. Not me, though. I wouldn't suck up just to get some DE licious Dew Berry jam. Buddy.

Stargazer
07-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Rick, I can see that about him. Not you though you seam to be a no suck up kind of guy.

Were you hinting at something in your last post?

crashdive123
07-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Rick's subtle like that.

RangerXanatos
07-16-2010, 10:29 PM
I believe all of our dewberry/blackberries are gone. And it's a shame. I've been making tea out of the leaves and absolutely love it. Also, I suffer from getting lots of canker sores. I switched to a toothpaste that doesn't use sodium lauryl sulfate and have been drinking the blackberry tea and I went a couple of months without a sore. Now that I've ran out of the tea and started using toothpaste with sodium lauryl sulfate, I have gotten another sore about the size of an eraser.

Chewing fresh blackberry leaves can help canker sores and inflamed gums. The action releases the astringent tannins, which heal and soothe, and vitamin c, which is essential for gum health. - http://www.natural-healing-guide.com/Therapeutic-Teas/Blackberry-Leaf-Tea.htm

oldtrap59
07-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Stargazer. Looks like a good haul of berries. As I spend alot of time out picking wild berries myself I can simpathize with the scares and wounds caused by the thornes. Sounds like you feel like me though and go back season after season. It is worth it.

oldtrap

Stargazer
07-17-2010, 12:37 PM
It is oldtrap.I never strip every last berry off. I let the birds get what ever I cant pick.Even the dropped ones stay on the ground.Come the end of the fall I will cut back the bushes down to about a foot or so.I started this last year and so far I have gotten great harvest's last year and this year.I will say that this year is looking better than the last.

I like to think of it as good karma letting some berries drop and letting the animals eat of them too.If it wasnt for the bees and birds I wouldn't have the harvest I do.

Rick
07-17-2010, 02:11 PM
This is the first year our blackberries have produced (new bushes). I just picked about a quart today. Has anyone ever seen house flies eat berries? I'm loosing some of the exterior of the berries because flies are eating on them. Only the ripe ones. I assume for the sugar.

Stargazer
07-17-2010, 02:17 PM
I suppose it could be the sugar they are after.

2dumb2kwit
07-18-2010, 07:11 AM
This is the first year our blackberries have produced (new bushes). I just picked about a quart today. Has anyone ever seen house flies eat berries? I'm loosing some of the exterior of the berries because flies are eating on them. Only the ripe ones. I assume for the sugar.

See....everyone loves blackberries!:tongue_smilie:

Stargazer
07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Do you guys hear that sound? I know you can't but had to ask anyway. Its the sound of lids sealing on my first batch of Jam. "Pop" and another.

Winnie
07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm confused! Dewberries over here are very closely related to Blackberries, and are black. How come yours are red?

Stargazer
07-19-2010, 04:41 PM
I dont have a good answer for that other than they may be in the Raspberry family here.