PDA

View Full Version : You Can Take One Thing

Pan
12-23-2007, 05:48 AM
I cant think of a feasable senario other than this: Ok, you are taken prisoner by "the enemy". Just for laughs they decide they are going to drop you off in the middle of the wilderness 150 miles from Sling****, China (tropical environment). They say you can keep one thing from your well stocked survival pack (no weapons except a knife and no electronics). You are wearing a T-shirt and some jeans. WHAT WOULD YOU TAKE AND WHY?

Jay
12-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Hi Pan,
We had a thread going on this subject a couple of weeks ago. I'll post the link when I find it.
What would you take if you couldnt take the knife either?

nell67
12-23-2007, 07:55 AM
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=244

Sarge47
12-23-2007, 02:31 PM
I cant think of a feasable senario other than this: Ok, you are taken prisoner by "the enemy". Just for laughs they decide they are going to drop you off in the middle of the wilderness 150 miles from Sling****, China (tropical environment). They say you can keep one thing from your well stocked survival pack (no weapons except a knife and no electronics). You are wearing a T-shirt and some jeans. WHAT WOULD YOU TAKE AND WHY?

Since this is in China I'd get a Gucchi Handbag! :rolleyes:Actually, Nell is right, use the thread already started for this. I personally don't believe in the "limiting of gear" question as there is a "credibility gap" that exists. If I can only grab one thing it's going to be at least my "BOB" bag, that's all part of being prepared!:cool:

Pan
12-25-2007, 01:21 PM
I understand the fact that it might not be likely... But also I like do what ifs. I guess thats what makes me interested in the subject. No knife. I'd take as much cordage as i can. Mainly cause lashings are only god for a few things and it takes a while to make a decent amount of good cordage (atleast for me it does). It seems to be a necesity in almost everything you do.

Sarge47
12-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Think about what you just said, Pan. What kind of "Survival-type" person doesn't always have a knife on them?:confused: I'd have to be stripped naked to not have one.:eek:

FVR
12-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Again, so much emphasis on knives. Limited thinking.

Beo
12-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Knife is my first choice, if no knife I'd say paracord at least 50'

wareagle69
12-26-2007, 08:59 AM
at least someone understands the point.
ok kids lets pretend the enemy who seized you is me and knowing everyones big dependency on knives I said no knives what would you steel addicted ppl do now? what would you grab from your bob that i stole from you as i luagh feindishly at your whimpering cuz i won't give you anything to survive with, i keep thinking of the time my wife went to the store spent 200 dollars and then i said there's nothing to eat in the ice box, open your minds ppl dig deep and survive how ya goona do it

Rick
12-26-2007, 11:03 AM
I thought about this over the holidays because I really didn't know what my answer would be. I saw Pan's answer and my initial thought was, "No knife?" then reread it and saw he has the ability to make a knife from rock. Cool. Okay, that answered that question.

But wait! Here's the problem I'm struggling with. I don't know the geology around Sling****, China and I don't know what kind of environment they are going to drop me into. Pan was kind enough to say tropical but I doubt my captors would be so forthcoming. Standing in the POW pen I wouldn't know. Maybe I'm not anywhere near the tropical environment they are going to drop me into and I'm probably not going to take their word on anything they tell me about where I'm going or if they intend to let me live.

If I were in that situation I would be thinking they would want to play a little mind game with me so I'd want as much power as I could muster. I would have taken the knife because it's a great tool and an immediate weapon.

Now comes gimpy WE (wink) and I find out he's the camp indoctrination officer. No knife!? More head games. Given the tropical environment and the no knife restrictions, I have to say compass. If they do drop me in a tropical environment I'm going to have a supreme canopy overhead that will block the sun. No way to tell which direction I'm going. The rest (fire, knife, rope, food) I can probably make somewhere along the way if I have to and I'll just have to take advantage of the plants I can for water or just suck it up and drink it raw to get out of the situation I'm in and deal with the cramps and the rest of the symptoms later.

carcajou garou
12-26-2007, 12:12 PM
FVR, Wareagle69, the question was asked, don't pontificate...
What would you take or do?? Educate us (kids)

Personally in a tropical setting I would take a tarp, poncho, plastic some sort of sheeting to keep me drier whilst I fabricate a stone knife/ax from a chert; all the while seeking out any rocks that could give me a spark. (step 1)

Now I don't make myself out to be an "expert" knapper but I can produce an acceptable edge when needed, it never will be in a museum quality but it will cut.

The point of these forums is to exchange ideas with people of all sorts of expertise and expose your mind to newer/different techniques, not to demean and belittle anyone.

Sarge47
12-26-2007, 02:21 PM
I'd use 550 cord, make a Garrotte and strangle my guard and take his knife.:rolleyes: Gee, this is fun!:D Next question?:confused:

Rick
12-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Okay, Sarge. Are you gonna strangle WE, too? He's the self imposed indoctrination officer. Oh, wait, I know. Just push him. He'll just fall over from the pain. (laughin' with you bro).

Chris
12-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Satellite Phone?

Rick
12-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Hello, Pizza Hut?

scabbyota
12-27-2007, 08:53 PM
A pot for cooking and boiling water.

wareagle69
12-27-2007, 08:56 PM
you do not have to be an"expert" napper to make a sharp edge in the wildevery where in the world there is a way to make an edge it just bothers me the total dependence that i see here which is why i am so adamant about getting ppl to think about making an edged tool everyone here talks about fire or food or water or shelter but never about making a sharp tool, even if you have a knife would you not want to preserve the edge as long as possible?

always be prepared..

Rick
12-27-2007, 08:58 PM
WE - I'm not certain that would work in a survival situation. The minute I start to put an edge on the rock, I'd hit my thumb, scream like a girl and give my position away.

nell67
12-27-2007, 09:00 PM
WE - I'm not certain that would work in a survival situation. The minute I start to put an edge on the rock, I'd hit my thumb, scream like a girl and give my position away.

Would suck to be you then!

wareagle69
12-27-2007, 09:03 PM
instead of blindly relying on a knife when you go out add that to your practice along with other skills just to give you the mental "edge" out there
now see what you've gone and made me do i've sunk to you and sarges level

Sarge47
12-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Pretty "Keen" answer WE, you're a really "sharp" guy, I get the "point". (ouch!):rolleyes:

wareagle69
12-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Pretty "Keen" answer WE, you're a really "sharp" guy, I get the "point". (ouch!):rolleyes:

you really cut thru it sarge i'm on edge waiting for your reply

FVR
12-27-2007, 09:23 PM
You know what I would take.

A poncho. Go ahead, laugh but I'll have a water collector, rain protection, warmth at night, camo when needed, shelter, a pillow for a nice sunny afternoon.

You're in a tropical environment, cordage is plentyful, find bamboo and you have a heck of a knife, spear, plenty of rocks in and around water, just let your imagination go.

Sarge47
12-27-2007, 09:25 PM
You know what I would take.

A poncho. Go ahead, laugh but I'll have a water collector, rain protection, warmth at night, camo when needed, shelter, a pillow for a nice sunny afternoon.

Actually that's a pretty good idea!;)

Sarge47
12-27-2007, 09:26 PM
you really cut thru it sarge i'm on edge waiting for your reply
You really slice thru the crapola, WE; Gotta hand it to you...handle 1st of course!:rolleyes:

Tony uk
12-27-2007, 09:41 PM
I would take a big manly Rambo knife, rip my upper clothing off and start my life as a ex-Green Beret in the wilderness

I aint got time to feel pain, care about weather, or sleep

Im Rambo 2 Babey

Sarge47
12-27-2007, 09:48 PM
I would take a big manly Rambo knife, rip my upper clothing off and start my life as a ex-Green Beret in the wilderness

I aint got time to feel pain, care about weather, or sleep

Im Rambo 2 Babey

Rambo 4 is coming to the theatres in January, and his knife's bigger than ever!:rolleyes:

Tony uk
12-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I will make my own 50" knife forget cutting sticks to make shelter, with this babey called the "MadMan" why not take down a few trees ?

Lol i heard about that film it sounds cool wonder if the knife will be availabel to buy

wareagle69
12-28-2007, 09:26 AM
why if i had to choose someone it would be fvr

i don't know if r4 will be that good i've seen some previews and dude looks terrible same as roc12 or what ever it was rambo 1st blood is a classic they should have left it alone, not saying i won't watch it but, i don't think david morrel would approve.

Beo
12-28-2007, 09:40 AM
I agree with WE, we can always make a sharp knife, stone cudgel, or spear, and FVR as usual comes through with the just about perfect thing to take. Rambo is a crooked mouthed goof who I think makes U.S. Special Forces look like slow talking dim witted muscle bound man hunting killing machines that can't cope with society. When in fact most have college degrees, speak several languages, know the sh*t outta the wilderness, and are man hunting killing machines that when they get out have done everything from SWAT to EMT's and SF Medics have become Doctors, and they have run very successful company's. The average SF soldier is not a muscle bound Rambo but a physically fit elite trained soldier. And these guru's of the wilderness and survival practice their craft on a constant basis by doing and teaching. Sorry for the rant but I just think Rambo is a goof. This applies to Rangers, SEALs,Marine Force Recon, AF Parajumpers & Forward Observers, SAS, Israeli Special Forces (Sayeret Matkal), German GSG9, and other world wide specialized units.