PDA

View Full Version : Smoke gets in your eyes...

Sarge47
07-13-2010, 12:03 AM
I always see these "survival experts" trying to start a fire on TV by getting their face right down into the tinder & blowing on the spark, getting several lungfuls of smoke in the process. I don't understand why they don't just use a brimmed hat, or, lacking one, a large, stiff, leaf, and gently fan the spark, keeping their face out of the smoke? You can also hold the smoldering tinder in your hand, stiff-armed out from your body, & swing your arm around until it bursts into flames. You'll want to drop it quick, unless you carry a stiff piece of leather to place on your palm 1st, as an insulator. But either method works & will keep your lungs smoke free as well. :cool2:

your_comforting_company
07-13-2010, 02:25 AM
I like to hold the tindle up and blow into it from the side or underneath. Smoke and heat rise and the problem is solved. Getting and ember to grow into a fire takes a little more finesse than a wild swing through the air at arms length. A hat or leaf is IMO a better option if you just don't want smoke in your face.

RangerXanatos
07-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've also read somewhere that blowing the ember with moist breath can extinguish it instead of building it. They then recomended to always fan it.

preachtheWORD
07-13-2010, 09:59 AM
If you get down as low as possible, with your head practically flat to the ground, and blow steadily on the embers you don't get much smoke in your face. It also helps to be upwind. This is what I do and I do and very, very rarely do I get smoke in my eyes.

Ole WV Coot
07-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Take someone like me with you and have them sit opposite of where you plan to blow. No difference where I sit it's always downwind from the fire. Best to use something to fan it, and if you blow don't inhale.

Old GI
07-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Take someone like me with you and have them sit opposite of where you plan to blow. No difference where I sit it's always downwind from the fire. Best to use something to fan it, and if you blow don't inhale.

Slow to post. I experience the same thing with wind/smoke/fire. I found the best way is ----- "Honey, start the fi.........." Ouch!:blushing:

Rick
07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Proof positive that smoke follows beauty. I've never had a problem with smoke.

Old GI
07-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Proof positive that smoke follows beauty. I've never had a problem with smoke.

Oh Rickster, how sweeeet!:innocent:

crashdive123
07-13-2010, 12:09 PM
It's been my experience that gently fanning an ember or coal to start a fire (not talking about a bed of coals) does not work so well. For me at least, I need more "forceful" air circulation. I've never tried the windmill method - maybe when I had younger shoulders.

Rick
07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
For those that have trouble with smoke, try using a tube. I have a small (1/4 inch?) diameter aluminum tube from an old wind chime that I carry. You can use it like a straw to direct a steady stream of air directly at your coal. I would think you could use a reed for the same purpose.

Aurelius95
07-13-2010, 03:51 PM
For those that have trouble with smoke, try using a tube. I have a small (1/4 inch?) diameter aluminum tube from an old wind chime that I carry. You can use it like a straw to direct a steady stream of air directly at your coal. I would think you could use a reed for the same purpose.

I've done the same thing with a piece of bamboo. Just cut through the culm (stalk) above and below the nodes (joints), and you are left with a straw. Just make sure to use a piece towards the end of the bamboo.:ohmy:

By the way, I had to look up the official parts of the bamboo, instead of calling it the "hollow thingy".

Rick
07-13-2010, 05:17 PM
That's okay. No one on here knows what a culm is. So it's a good thing you used "hollow thingy" so we know what you're talkin' about.

Batch
07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
I find myself in the smokey side of the fire no matter where I move. Unless, I am trying to use the smoke to keep the skeeters down...:sneaky2:

Bladen
07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Here's what I do: Place your forefinger and thumb together on both hands.
Then place your forefingers and thumbs against each other.
See that little diamond shape between your fingers and thumbs?
Blow through that.
With a tiny bit of practice you can be three or four feeet away.

welderguy
07-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Here's what I do: Place your forefinger and thumb together on both hands.
Then place your forefingers and thumbs against each other.
See that little diamond shape between your fingers and thumbs?
Blow through that.
With a tiny bit of practice you can be three or four feeet away.

I would be passed out before the fire got started if I was blowing a tinder to life from 3 feet away.

Rick
07-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Oh. I thought you held you fingers three feet away from your blower....is that right?

Aurelius95
07-20-2010, 09:43 PM
I need pics, man! I just can't picture it! :)

Sarge47
07-20-2010, 11:08 PM
I've done the same thing with a piece of bamboo. Just cut through the culm (stalk) above and below the nodes (joints), and you are left with a straw. Just make sure to use a piece towards the end of the bamboo.:ohmy:

By the way, I had to look up the official parts of the bamboo, instead of calling it the "hollow thingy".
Where, in Illinois, do I find bamboo? BTW, I just fan lightly at first with the brim of my hat. Once the fire takes off good I fan harder, getting a "bellows" action going. :cool2:

flandersander
07-21-2010, 12:11 AM
I have a 12" section of brass pipe in my kit. I've used it to make a bowl from wood.