PDA

View Full Version : Something to prevent water from entering a boot?

jc1234
07-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Is there any time of gator type sleeve that wold prevent or limit water from entering a hiking boot? I have goretex boots which are great, but if a I go hiking through a stream and the water level is knee level, a waterproof boot is pretty useless. Everything I wear dries very quickly, but boots take forever.

Do I have any options short of duct tape?

Ken
07-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Is there any time of gator type sleeve that wold prevent or limit water from entering a hiking boot? I have goretex boots which are great, but if a I go hiking through a stream and the water level is knee level, a waterproof boot is pretty useless. Everything I wear dries very quickly, but boots take forever.

Do I have any options short of duct tape?

How about bringing a second pair of boots (dock shoes, sneakers) to wear when you're in the water? If sneakers are appropriate for the terrain, they'll dry pretty fast.

owl_girl
07-12-2010, 08:17 PM
hiking sandals. get your feet wet and let them air dry as you go.

http://www.binbin.net/photos/merrell/cha/chameleon-ii-clip-hiking-sandal.jpg

http://rabautista.com/catalog/images/keen_sandals.jpg

Rick
07-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I second (or third) the sandals or just wade barefoot if the water is clear. I have a pair of Keens that have crossed a stream or two. So have my bare tootsies.

gryffynklm
07-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Thats an interesting question. Obviously the waterproof boot is designed to keep water from entering the boot when the water level is below the top of the boot. The taller the boot the deeper you can go in the water.

Water proof gaiters if they exist will only prevent water from lets say rain soaked tall grass contact from entering the boot. It is virtually impossible to get a water tight seal between the gaiter and the boot especially in a submerged exposure you are looking for.

These waders do not mention walking through water but the fact they call them waders implies that is what they are intended for. THey seem to be compact and light weight.

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/25/products_id/49

If you attempt duck tape I would suggest that you perhaps try to use it in conjunction with a vinyl tube like gaiter and seal to the boot in a way that the tape has as few seams to cross. You will never get a water tight seal and will likely get some water under the tape and gaiter. Be sure any taped seams do not have any stress applied from movement on them because it will work the tape loose. Good luck.

I would personally find a product designed for wading in water.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-12-2010, 08:49 PM
There are two things I do that help. First my laces are long enough so when I get to the top of boot I tie one granny knot then wrap around boot and tie again. This slows the rate the water comes in for like accidently stepping in water to deep and you pull your foot out real quick. Second use a ring of neoprene over top of boot. I cut mine off the leg of an old wet suit. I stole the idea from my neoprene chest waders that seal the boots that way. It helps but if you plan on hiking in deep water bring hip or chest waders.

LowKey
07-12-2010, 08:50 PM
You may laugh but Ziploc makes some fairly large heavy duty bags meant for storing clothing. On me they'd be over-knee height. The bags roll up, are light and will make that emergency crossing if the rocks aren't sharp. I actually use them to put stripers in to carry them off the beach without getting my back or knapsack all wet, but I'd guess you could put em on your feet. Or take your boots off, put em inside, zip em up and float em across while you wade. Depends on what you're crossing...

jc1234
07-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Hmm the sandals are an idea. Im just afraid of going without ankle support, plus I have to figure out where to store a pair of sandals on my dogs pack.

On a related note. When I get home and my boots are completely soaked inside with water, I stuff as much of a towel as possible in each boot and for about 4 hours then repeat for another 4 hours with a dry section of the towel and the boots are almost completely dry.

In a situation where I cant just jump in the truck and drive home to dry my boots, whats the next best thing if Im stuck out in the woods? I know the goal is to try not to get your boots wet on the inside...but lets just say that it happened for whatever reason. Whats the quickest way to get em dry?

crashdive123
07-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Fire or hot sun. Hot rocks on the inside.

Rick
07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I actually use them to put stripers in to carry them off the beach without getting my back or knapsack all wet

Sir, put the woman down.

But officer, I just caught her.

Sir, put the woman down. Don't make me tase you.

jc1234
07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Sir, put the woman down.

But officer, I just caught her.

Sir, put the woman down. Don't make me tase you.

LMAO!!! Thankfully, I was not drinking anything when I read this!

finallyME
07-14-2010, 09:43 AM
This is a good question, with lots of possibilities. If you don't want to stop using the gortex hiking boots, then use sandals, as others have suggested. Many people do this. They come to a stream, and just change footwear to cross, then change back on the other side. A good option for this are the Crocs brand, or subsequent knockoffs. They are very light and double as camp shoes.

Another option that a lot of people are switching to is to wear Trail runners that breath very well and dry quickly. Then they just get their feet wet, and they are dry within an hour. You don't have to worry about blisters because trail runner are just fancy tennis shoes and don't rub you like boots do. This is what I do. I only wear gortex boots in the winter in snow. I have also come to the conclusion that ankle support is over hyped. I have bad ankles from spraining them a lot playing sports. I have been hiking in trail runners for a year or two now and have not had any problem. I sprained my ankle last year playing softball (I did get the out ;) ). When I tried hiking in my heavy "ankle supporting" boots, they didn't do the job. An ankle brace was much better. Now, I carry an ankle brace with me, just in case.

Anyways, I know people that backpack exclusively in sandals. They never have ankle, or foot problems, and can blast through the streams. It is up to you what to choose. HYOH.

jc1234
07-14-2010, 12:42 PM
This is a good question, with lots of possibilities. If you don't want to stop using the gortex hiking boots, then use sandals, as others have suggested. Many people do this. They come to a stream, and just change footwear to cross, then change back on the other side. A good option for this are the Crocs brand, or subsequent knockoffs. They are very light and double as camp shoes.

Another option that a lot of people are switching to is to wear Trail runners that breath very well and dry quickly. Then they just get their feet wet, and they are dry within an hour. You don't have to worry about blisters because trail runner are just fancy tennis shoes and don't rub you like boots do. This is what I do. I only wear gortex boots in the winter in snow. I have also come to the conclusion that ankle support is over hyped. I have bad ankles from spraining them a lot playing sports. I have been hiking in trail runners for a year or two now and have not had any problem. I sprained my ankle last year playing softball (I did get the out ;) ). When I tried hiking in my heavy "ankle supporting" boots, they didn't do the job. An ankle brace was much better. Now, I carry an ankle brace with me, just in case.

Anyways, I know people that backpack exclusively in sandals. They never have ankle, or foot problems, and can blast through the streams. It is up to you what to choose. HYOH.

Im going to try the sandals for stream crossing and walking. I need the support of a boot the rest of the time due to previous ankle, foot, and knee injuries / issues.

RichJ
07-14-2010, 01:53 PM
I have pondered this and experimented with it for years. My findings are that there is no way to keep water out of a boot without taking it off. It just can't be done. That's why i always strap a pair of sandles on my pack in the wet season or if there is a stream to ford.

If you figure it out, let us know.

jc1234
07-14-2010, 01:57 PM
I have pondered this and experimented with it for years. My findings are that there is no way to keep water out of a boot without taking it off. It just can't be done. That's why i always strap a pair of sandles on my pack in the wet season or if there is a stream to ford.

If you figure it out, let us know.

Im going to pack some sandals in my dogs pack for now. Eventually I'd like to get some more packable water shoes though.

pete lynch
07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
I use Tingley overboots when I know 'm going somewhere I can get my feet wet. They roll right up when not in use.

jc1234
07-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Used sandals today! It was a solution so simple that I overlooked it completely, thanks all!

I would share some photos, but the new camera was so god awful that I am returning it. Its a shame too, would have been good photos. Next time though!