PDA

View Full Version : in search of my perfect pack

seeker1968
07-11-2010, 11:45 PM
I am looking for the perfect pack, so I am answering the sticky questions and hopefully someone will know the pack I am looking for!

1. What is the gender, height and build of the person who will be using this pack? Male 6'2 large build broad, not fat

2. How much do you expect this pack to weigh empty?
5-7 lbs

3. Will this pack be carried or worn as a backpack?
backpack

4. What do you intend to carry in this pack?
Assorted small items, general BOB contents, tarp, water bottles, ax or tomahawk, food, survival items

5. What is its intended use? BOB, Backpacking, Backcountry Ski Trips, Mountaineering? BOB, Backpacking

6. Do you prefer a MOLLE or ALICE type pack? Do you know what they are?
MOLLE

7. Where, in terms of terrain, do you intend to use this pack?
Woods, Eastern Mountains

8. How long do you expect to carry or wear this pack each day?
3-8 hours

9. Do you want a frame pack or a frameless pack? Internal frame or external frame? Frameless or internal frame

10. Are you looking for a pack made of a specific type of material?
Heavy duty

11. Do you know your volume requirement in cubic inches and/or liters?
2500CI-3000CI

12. Do you require hydration compatibility?
NO

13. Do you require water bottle pockets?
YES

14. Do you want a waist belt and/or sternum strap?
Yes to both

15. Do you want a torso adjustment?
YES

16. Do you prefer top-access, rear-access, or bottom access?
REAR

17. Do you require multiple pockets? What kind? How many?
YES - One main - two smaller back pockets for organizing small items

18. Should your pack have a detachable day-pack or fanny pack built in?
doesn't matter- would be cool I guess

19. Do you need a sleeping bag compartment?
NO

20. Do you need a tent compartment?
NO
21. Do you need a rain cover? Attached or removable?
NO- but would be nice

22. Do you need a shovel pocket?
NO

23. Will you be carrying a snowboard?
NO

24. Will you be carrying skis?
NO

25. Do you require gear loops?
Preferably

26. Do you require ice axe loops?
YES for ax and possibly a machete

27. Do you require a built-in Avalung?
no

28. How much are you prepared to spend?
Depends on quality

29. Do you want your pack made in the USA, or with slave labor wages over seas with all the profits going to an unscrupulous import company that doesn't want to employ Americans?
Preferably made in the USA!

Here is the bottom line. I like the molle 3 day assault packs, but I use water bottles and I want easy access on the outside of the pack. I also want to be able to strap one or two items to the sides of the packs similar to an ice axe configuration (with the handles sliding behind the water bottles). I have no use for internal hydration, but will use the space if available for something... I like ss water bottles, because they provide a container for boiling water, if necessary for sterilization.

So this is my dream pack specs. Anyone got any ideas? I can't believe there isn't one manufactured like this! Help!

seeker1968
07-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I want to clarify a few things:
1. I have searched a lot for these specs. I have searched and researched manufactures for something like this to no avail.

2.Every one is bladder happy for carrying water these days, thinking in a pinch they can fill it and drop a magic tablet in and there water will be safe if they run out. The truth is that most water illnesses come from stuff that isn't killed by chlorine or iodine. That is why I prefer ss water bottles. Boiling kills everything.

Thanks again!

Sarge47
07-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Well, there's the Military CFP-90 pack with a smaller pack that rides on it "piggy-back."

http://www.imsplus.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=30409

The main pack is very large, & while it does sport an inside pocket that can be used for a water bladder, you can also use it for other things. Like you, I prefer water bottles to a bladder as they can be attached to a belt and free up more space in the pack. If you want smaller, then there's 3-day "assault" packs made by Maxpedition, Voodoo Tactical, & Camelbak.

I understand your fustration, I, too, wish there was a way to design my own backpack. Ken even did a thread on the membership's idea of designing our own backpack. Good luck on your search! :cool2:

SARKY
07-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Check out the Kifaru Navigator. From what you were describing the Navigator seems to fit the bill. It's what I have and it's built like a tank and very comfortable to carry with a full load.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-12-2010, 02:02 AM
I use an Ice axe and Ice tool with a variety of packs and this was my solution. I used a universal gun holster that I can strap to anything.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1088.jpg

seeker1968
07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Check out the Kifaru Navigator. From what you were describing the Navigator seems to fit the bill. It's what I have and it's built like a tank and very comfortable to carry with a full load.

Has everything but water bottle pocket, which I could add, but for the price I would expect them. Thanks, I have looked at these before though.

SARKY
07-12-2010, 11:27 PM
so what do you have against hydration bladders? I have a 6 liter bladder in my Navigator and carry a 1 liter Nalgene bottle on the side. I only use it to mix electrolyte drinks in. I alo have the E&E pack docked and locked to it which adds another 1000 cubes to my capacity.

Sarge47
07-13-2010, 12:09 AM
so what do you have against hydration bladders? I have a 6 liter bladder in my Navigator and carry a 1 liter Nalgene bottle on the side. I only use it to mix electrolyte drinks in. I alo have the E&E pack docked and locked to it which adds another 1000 cubes to my capacity.

I have several reasons why I don't use the water bladder.

1.) The extra weight. Even 2 liters of water is heavy.

2.) The space in the pack required for it. I have the Maxpedition Falcon 2 & it doesn't have all that room to begin with.

As an alternative, I fasten 2 1qt Nalgene bottles to my belt and carry a Sweetwater 2 water filter. I might also have a small pot to boil questionable water in. Of course, if I was headed for the desert I'd probably think differently. :cool2:

SARKY
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Sarge,
just because you have a 3 liter bladder in your pack doesn't mean you have to fill it to capacity. And i always have an MSR miniworks II filter with me which hooks up directly to my hydration bladder. For 5 years I carried 2 of the issue 2qt. canteens on me in the field. It is always better to have the water and not need it than to need it and not have it!

finallyME
07-14-2010, 11:51 AM

All the bladders I have ever used have always leaked. :flare:

SARKY
07-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Checkout the new water beast line from CamelBak

Sarge47
07-14-2010, 05:41 PM
All the bladders I have ever used have always leaked. :flare:
The "plastic" taste in the water sucks as well. However, like I mentioned earlier, the weight & space problems have turned me off as well. :cool2:

Alaskan Survivalist
07-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm with Sarge on this one. Water is plentiful and clean here so not much of an issue. It is always easier to carry water in you and I can drink more than I feel like carrying. I drink my fill and fill a Nalgene for convenience later when back packing. I have a MSR filter that screws on top of Nalgene bottle so Water becomes even more abundant. I might be of a different mind if good water was not so available to me and I don't know much about other places.

Rick
07-14-2010, 06:44 PM
About the only complaint I have with my Camelbak Goblin is you have to be very particular how you screw the lid on. If you aren't careful it will leak around the cap. Otherwise, the bladder hasn't leaked....yet. The water does have a taste but wet is wet and being hydrated is more important than taste to me. The convenience of the conceal carry AND having water makes the Goblin a +1 to me.

coyote hunter
07-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I personally use Badlands packs, I have a 4500, 2800 and a 2200. I have heard alot of good things about Eberlestock also. Another company you may want to check out is Blackhawk, the owner Mike Noell is a former SEAL. A good friend of mine who is still a SEAL told me that they love all the Blackhawk stuff they have tried and it holds up really well.

BushedOut
07-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Ok.. With the risk of being unpopular I am a fan of Camelbak although I have customised mine slightly to fit better into my pack. I think if the design of the pack compensates for one being carried I dont see how it can take up much more room.. I mean six litres of water is six litres of water anyway its carried.

It is also great for an improvised solar shower when wrapped with Silver Foil!

Sarge47
07-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Ok.. With the risk of being unpopular I am a fan of Camelbak although I have customised mine slightly to fit better into my pack. I think if the design of the pack compensates for one being carried I dont see how it can take up much more room.. I mean six litres of water is six litres of water anyway its carried.

It is also great for an improvised solar shower when wrapped with Silver Foil!
Still waitin' on that intro, BO! :cool2: