PDA

View Full Version : It sounded like a good idea at the time...

Aurelius95
07-11-2010, 04:37 PM
I'd like to start a new thread for ideas/plans that sounded like a good idea at the time, but in retrospect, were not such good ones. When I was a kid, I, like I'm sure most of us, did not always think things through.

A firecracker under a coffee can sure makes a loud "Boom", why not try putting in a plastic container? Plastic shrapnel, that's why.

Sure, I can ride my bike holding my fishing rod and tackle box, what's the big deal? It didn't take long to wipe out.

For the last year or so, I have been checking Craigslist for used pop-up campers. I figured after years of tent camping, it's time to think about something that gets you off the ground, and can cool/heat without a problem. While looking for campers, I came across the VW Camper van. They have all sorts of models, dating back to the 60's and have some that are more current. I love the "idea" of the camper van, but unless I buy a much newer model (not a possibility - not enough cash), or an older one that was taken care of very well, I will be spending lots of time and money looking for and paying for parts. Thinking it through, I want to like the idea of the camper van, but in reality, now is probably not the time.

So, anybody else out there deal with these types of dilemnas (A cool idea vs. really thinking it through)? Let's hear them.

pete lynch
07-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I went to Shenendoah NP in Virginia with my brother once. While up on Skyline Drive we decided to go rock climbing. Of course, we had never been rock climbing in our lives. We made it up what was a fairly steep face and then looked down at our route of descent. It took us 3 times as long to get down as it took to get up.
Lets just say we stayed in the designated tourist areas after that.:sweatingbullets::sweatdrop:

flandersander
07-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Once when I was young Me and a friend of mine thought it would be a good idea to start a fire. The grass was dry, but the fields were wet, so we figured even if a little fire did get away, it couldn't go anywhere. So we lit the fire and away it went. We burned around 15 acres of dry grass. The troubling part is, nobody did anything about it. It was near a farmers house, and it just burned the grass patch and that's it. I'm not even sure if He knew about it. Let's just say thank god badger brush isn't very flamable.

wareagle69
07-11-2010, 05:30 PM
more often then not climbing over the chute gate i would be thinking to myself"now this probably ain't the best idear you ever had son" sometimes it worked itself out but most often i lost.
course there was the time someone thought it would be a great idea for me to get into a cage.
then there was this time when the recruiter said i couldn't be a green beret so as i turned to walk out of his office he said' but we can make ya a ranger' so i says"whats a ranger" and he smile and says "have a seat"
then there was this other time when the preacher said"do you take this woman?" and stupid me says "i do"
course that one i done did again.
man could i go on and on about this one
stupid things wareagle has done ha not sure if the computer had enough whatchamacallit to cover that one

Aurelius95
07-11-2010, 06:13 PM
LOL Wareagle! I guess we all go through those phases. My friend and I decided we wanted to create a coffee table book with the same title. Each page would be a picture/story of something that sounded like a good idea at the time.

Rick
07-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah, well, there was this one time dove hunting....I was on my way back driving down a mining road. Running about 60 I guess when I spotted the wash out. Big rascal. About 3 feet wide and pretty darn deep. I knew I couldn't stop in time so I floored it. Went right over that wash out and kept on going. Except I heard something heavy draggin'. The sound of something heavy dragging coming from your car is not a good thing by the way. I stopped, got out and walked to the back of the car. It was just the gas tank. I picked it up (you have any idea how heavy a half tank of gas is?!) and put it in the trunk. I actually made it about a mile before I ran out of fuel in the carb and lines. Might of made it farther if it hadn't been for that dang hill. I was about 17 at the time.

Rick
07-11-2010, 06:21 PM
There was also the time the muffler was rattling. I pulled in the drive way, bent down and wiggled the muffler. You have no idea how bad an idea that was. The blister was enormous. The only good thing was the fact that it was winter and there was snow on the ground for me to shove my hand in. I was about 17 I guess. 17 was a tough age for me. But I sure did learn a lot that year.

Justin Case
07-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Getting Married, Worst thing i ever done, Getting divorced, Best thing .

crashdive123
07-11-2010, 10:01 PM
My first cross country motorcycle trip was from Virginia to California. I had never seen the Pacific at the time, and as I neared the coast I saw several hang gliders flying off a really large hill. I saw a trail that led to the top and thought it would be a great vantage point to see the Pacific for the first time. I headed up the dirt trail. Well, more like a dirt path. Actually, more like a little sandy path....soft and deep sand. Getting to the top was kind of interesting, but with my trusty KZ750 and plenty of throttle I made it to the top with my street bike, me, and about 200 pounds of gear. The view was spectacular.....the trip down......not so much.

justin_baker
07-11-2010, 11:14 PM
I dug a fire pit next to an oak tree. My fire caught the green looking moss on the tree on fire. It wasnt that lichen stuff, it was the green moss that grows on rocks and stuff. Kinda scary lol wasnt expecting that.
I have to be really careful with fires around here. We have fields full of the dryest grass have ever seen.

rwc1969
07-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I was in a "so called" rumble once. The opposing side's biggest, red faced, veins bulging out the forehead guy came around to each and every person on our side and in a very angry and loud voice said "you want some of this?" or something to that effect.

Of course, before the rumble everyone was talking smack, but when the guy came round they all tucked tail and ran.

Well when he got around to me, after watching everyone else cower down, I thought it'd be a good idea to surprise him and say yes. So, I did! Little did I know, the guy, besides being twice my size and very fit to say the least, was a high ranking college wrestler among other things and about 10 years older than me. I was just a kid and he was an adult, supposedly.

I consider myself a good wrestler, at least back then, and a boxer, brawler, and kung fu theater expert, but I was just a wee bit outgunned. He got me in a hold and I couldn't get loose. That really sucked because before he got a hold of me I gave him what for in a big way and it really changed his temperment, from bad to I'm gonna break you in half.

Luckily, by the time I finally gave up he was worn out too and we just parted ways.

That probably wasn't a good idea. I shouldn't have said yes. I think it gave him a warning.

Rick
07-12-2010, 02:42 PM
kung fu theater expert

(snort, chuckle) Ain't we all. And the more we drink the better we get. HiiiiiYA!

rwc1969
07-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Yes, and back then I was "better" than most. LOL!

Old GI
07-12-2010, 03:54 PM
The only thing I remember is ...... I was too drunk to remember.:blushing:

2dumb2kwit
07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I once told a female LEO, that she needed to take some Midol, go home, and cook her man some dinner.:blushing:

Justin Case
07-12-2010, 04:08 PM
I once told a female LEO, that she needed to take some Midol, go home, and cook her man some dinner.:blushing:

How much was your bail ? :innocent:

Winnie
07-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Oooo, that's bad 2D. I'm amazed you're free to tell the tale.:innocent:

After much thought,(about 5minutes after a telling off:blushing:) I decided I wasn't loved or wanted and left home aged 7. I'd show 'em.Seemed like a good idea at the time. My dad found me 16 hrs later sitting in the coal shed with the cat, an empty tin of corned beef and a bottle of water. Apparently the give away was the cat. Never trust a cat not to give away your position when you've left home. Oh and never trust your dad to take you back indoors sobbing and wailing with joy after finding you either! Mine told me I needed a job, if I was staying in the coal shed I'd need to start paying rent.