PDA

View Full Version : flyfishing for catfish?

timberghost
07-11-2010, 03:11 PM
heck yea!, caught this pig a couple weeks ago at a lake near my house using a 6 weight streamer rod and 10 lb test for tippet with a rabbit strip fly I made up {I was really fishing for bass when I spotted this channel cat}. it weighed 22 lbs and was 35 inches long? took me about 20 minutes to get it in. I Off the catfish subject, I always keep a few flies in my survival kit, yesterday I went on a day trip in the hills to see what I could forage. tied some line to a willow and one of the flies. by 10:00 am caught 11 brookies {kept 4}. had a nice lunch of brookies,and a side of prickley pear with wild strawberrys! lunch fit for a king!

tipacanoe
07-11-2010, 07:26 PM
On a 6wt rod that would be one heck of a good time. I have caught suckers a couple of times that weigh in about 6 pounds, but never anything like what you have. I can see you on Versus now. Carp are the sorta new big thing to fly fishing, Cats should be really interesting. Thanks for sharing, now go wipe your smile of if you can.

timberghost
07-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I used to hold the state release rcord for grass carp, 39 lbs caught on fly also. I even caught a 4 lb koi once! thanks for lookin.

Stryker1
06-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Those are some great looking fish!!!! Where in CO are you?