PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here ever ate a Pigeon ?

Justin Case
07-11-2010, 12:33 PM
There are a couple dozen pigeons that hang around the apt complex here, These birds are very healthy, some of the older folks here feed them regularly (although its illegal), anyway, First I was noticing how beautiful some of them are, multi colors, The second thing i noticed was how big they are, a couple of those would make a pretty good meal, (size wise), I seen a Chef cook some squab on tv and it looked delicious :drool:, so how say you ? ever tried it ?

pete lynch
07-11-2010, 05:18 PM
When they fly around grain elevators and crap on statues during the summer, we call them pidgeons and we NEVER eat them. When September hunting season rolls around we call them doves and they taste mighty fine!

flandersander
07-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I've eaten pidgeon. Only ones that live out on my farm, and eat mostly grain. Actually not bad.

Beo
07-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I know a buttload of homeless dudes that eat city pidgeons all the time. Seriously I do, and they eat the he11 outta them too. I have never tried any pidgeon.

your_comforting_company
07-12-2010, 06:23 AM
pigeon is a good eat. Much better than crow.

Born2Late
07-12-2010, 06:30 AM
We shoot them each year in the sunflower fields.They make very nice stews and pies with a nice gravy.I shoot only the rockpidgeons around the house because they make a mess of the roof.I haven't tasted crow yet.

Winnie
07-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Pigeon is very good.
Here's a little youtube doodad that shows a quick way to prepare birds. Just ignore Gordon.

Pict
07-12-2010, 07:32 AM
I grew up eating dove and farm pigeon. My dad used to stuff them with grapes and garlic and wrap them in bacon. There were farm pigeons that ate grain and seeds. I steer clear of city pigeons that were raised on cigarette butts and old gum.

Old GI
07-12-2010, 08:36 AM

I've had to eat a lot of crow in my life!:blushing:

Ate a few piggies, too.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Where I live there is a pidgeon plant, farmed pidgeons sold for their meat. It is one of the oldest businesses in town over 100yrs. old. I have never tried it.

Blasfemo
07-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Pigeon is awesome... i would not advise city pigeon m8 because pigeon is like a rat, they eat all the stuff that comes their way... i would also not let them on your house building their **** is corrosive and will take a piece of your roof in some years...

this is how i would cook it.

A) just like chicken soup, its a delicatessen were i live...

b) Fry them in garlic \ olive oil \ salt and put some white wine. Some pepers smashed or not depends on taste. The more simple you do it the best it is in my humble opinion...

you eat crow m8? its like a popular knowledge here that crow is not edible i mean maybe edible but no palatable...

Pict
07-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Section dove into pieces and fry in a liberal portion of butter over low heat with chopped onions, season with salt, pepper, and fresh crushed garlic. Once the onions are cooked and the meat browned remove the meat and add about a cup of fresh squeezed orange juice. Let the juice and butter simmer down to a sauce and add the meat back in at the end to heat it back up.

rwc1969
07-12-2010, 02:01 PM
When I was a kid we hunted, processed, cooked and ate feral pigeons a lot. They're good over an open fire, but can get pretty tough if you let em sit too long.

I've ate mourning doves too and they're just as tasty.

Justin Case
07-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Ok, Y'all convinced me, Time to start training them to come to the BBQ when i whistle :tongue_smilie:

crashdive123
07-12-2010, 06:38 PM
you eat crow m8? its like a popular knowledge here that crow is not edible i mean maybe edible but no palatable...

Eating crow is an expression that you are probably not familiar with. It's an expression that means you have been wrong, are a bit humiliated, and admit your error.

oldtrap59
07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Have a friend that raises and flies preforming rollers. Have known him for years and over that time I have ate alot of his castoffs. (he raises from 300=400 each year) Not all he raises are good preformers.

Maranade them in white wine,salt and pepper for about 8 hours then fry the breasts in olive oil.

oldtrap

rwc1969
07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Ok, Y'all convinced me, Time to start training them to come to the BBQ when i whistle :tongue_smilie:

Just get a whole bunch o' leg hold traps and bury em in grain. When the first one bites it usually sets off a chain reaction that takes out a few others in the process. Of course you'd only wanna do that if it's legal.
:smash: