PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather sleeping bag question

Swamprat1958
07-11-2010, 09:37 AM
I have a question for some of you who live in cold country. I have a sleeping bag which is rated for 20 degrees that has served me well since 1984. But I was wondering if a bag rated for colder temps would be even better. I know most bags rated for colder temps are heavier and bulkier, but would they be much warmer in temps that range from single digits on up to low 30s than a 20 degree bag?

crashdive123
07-11-2010, 12:02 PM
While I don't live in colder climates now, I used to. My favorite bag was a -40F bag. The coldest I ever saw with it was -25F. I used the same bag in the summer (might have been my favorite because it was my only bag for many years) and just left it open. Maybe rather than another bag, try a liner or an outter shell for when you venture out into colder climates.

SARKY
07-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Most bag makers have 2 temps for their bags , a comfort temp and a minimum temp. I prefer a colder rated bag as I can always vent the bag.

grizz
07-11-2010, 03:40 PM
You know as we age, and change our locations our needs for bags change. I agree with CD123. add a layer if it's needed. They make liners, over bags, Bivy bags. what ever it takes. When the we take the scouts out in the winter we ask that they bring 2 bags. And we have double bagged those kids. Ans something else that may make a world of sifference is look at the Sleeping pad you use?? Good Luck!!

Rick
07-11-2010, 03:42 PM
You know...and this is just a thought...if you don't sleep outside when it's -20 you don't need a bag rated for that. In fact, I can get by with a bag rated much high than -20.

Swamprat1958
07-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys. I have a fleece blanket that I can add to it and a good thermal pad that I use with it. I was wondering if a colder rated bag would help reduce the bulk of the fleece blanket. However the colder rated bag will probably be just as bulky as my current bag and the fleece blanket.

flandersander
07-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Something else you might find, as I have, is when you put a blanket inside, it stops all the air movement, makes the bag "tighter". Even if the blanket isn't that warm, I think it'll help a lot.

wareagle69
07-11-2010, 05:56 PM
i still have my us army issue bag, actually not sure of the temp rating on it, but i do add an insert about 10 degree value plus my bivy sac and then a blankey if needed.
let me also add this, it does depend on what type of shelter you are in and a possible heat source.
when out in very cold windy temps my feet are usually the coldest, in a shelter away from the wind in same temps i am warmer, so look at your type of shelter you will be in.
on another note i have been looking at the wiggys(i tink dats it) but about 500 bones for the one i want

Camp10
07-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I've always been a dress in layers kind of guy and I would offer the same advice for sleeping gear. I would stay with the lightweight (20 degree) bag and use a fleece liner to get me through the range of single digits to 30's. I dont like to leave my sleeping bag open at night because I will roll out of it and freeze. I would rather layer up like I do during the day.