PDA

View Full Version : I need help (buckskin shirt)

Survival Guy 10
07-06-2010, 10:41 AM
i cant seem to find a good design for a buckskin shirt i want to make can anyone help

Winnie
07-06-2010, 11:04 AM
The best way is to take apart a shirt that fits you well and use that as a pattern. Be prepared to use A LOT of buckskin to make one. There is an awful lot of wastage when cutting out.

trax
07-06-2010, 02:46 PM
There's a few members here who do a lot of leather crafting, and if you want to look up a traditional native or mountain man or hunting style shirt, just google it. Otherwise, you can't go wrong doing what Winnie said. (Seldom can one go wrong doing what Winnie says)

preachtheWORD
07-06-2010, 02:56 PM
your_comforting_company is the man for that job. He has made a full buckskin outfit. Check out his profile and send him a private message.

Camp10
07-06-2010, 07:24 PM
your_comforting_company is the man for that job. He has made a full buckskin outfit. Check out his profile and send him a private message.

+1 on YCC although I think he said he just "wings it" and doesnt use any patterns. He would be a good one to help you.

gryffynklm
07-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Can you describe what you are looking for? Midnight Cowboy Vs fur trapper era, 18th century hunting frock, Native American buck skin shirt?

I have this pattern and plan to make an Elk skin hunting frock.
http://englishsbuffalofarm.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1424

These companies have period patterns and may have what you are looking for. I have purchased form these guys and like dealing with them.

JAS Townsand,
http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=40

Smoke and fire
http://www.smoke-fire.com/pattern-shop.htm

kyratshooter
07-06-2010, 08:00 PM
These folks have everything in the origional form.

http://www.nativetech.org/

Go down to leather and clothing.

The site is out of the University of Florida and the techniques and styles are well documented, if that matters to you. Almost all their items are Creek/Seminole and proper for your area.

They have espically good moccasin patterns.

gryffynklm
07-06-2010, 08:53 PM
KyRat, thanks for the link.

your_comforting_company
07-07-2010, 09:12 AM
They are right. I pretty much just wing it. I make my own patterns out of old cloth and it's rather tedious. I like the organic look and feel of non-patterned items that don't follow a particular "style". If you are going for the crude, aboriginal look, that's the way to go. Otherwise any of the links the generous folks above posted should have you well on your way.
One tip I might suggest is that if you are going to be wearing it in the woods, leave out the fringe. It serves only to hang on briars and twigs, which would be the opposite of wearing buckskin in the first place. Not being woven in a grid pattern makes it much harder for briars to penetrate and get a good hook into the material.
If you do want to go the abo / non-styled way, you basically just start wrapping skins (or cloth) around you, and make a few marks so you know where to sew it together.
As winnie pointed out, there will be quite a bit of waste. Making that first cut is the hardest, especially if you made the buckskin yourself!

gryffynklm
07-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Ycc good observation about the fringe. The purpose of the fringe is to help wick away water in the rain. The water drips from the fringe ends. I've seen it work. It doesn't keep you dry however it helps the hide dry a bit faster.

Survival Guy 10
07-08-2010, 03:50 PM
thanks guy great ideas good help keep posting

kyratshooter
07-10-2010, 01:53 PM
I have found that short fringe wicks the water away, breaks up the outline and still does not catch dabris. I work it about 1 1/2" long.

I have found that fringe covers a multitude of sins. If you get a little off on stiches or the hide is irrigular you can cut short fringe and clean things up and make a more professionsl look.

I think (no historic proof) that fringe really started in that manner. The primitive people were working quick and dirty and fringe allowed them to tailor to the individual without a lot of extra cutting. Hard to get precise cuts with a flint chip. They were doing more tack ing than sewing anyway and the fringe was a good way to finish the garmet.

Then some willowey 17 year old girl strutted through camp with a long fringe elkskin dress on and that was the end to plain garmets.

:innocent:

LowKey
07-10-2010, 02:40 PM
I'd always thought the fringe was for silhouette breakup. Never thought about it for drying. Then this funny image of fringed armpits came to mind. Just had to share...

hunter63
07-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Lot of good info so far.
I am in the "drape it around you, mark or pin, then cut off what you don't want" school of thought.
After a couple of tries, on pants (cut up old jeans pattern) and shirt (purchased pattern), the try it and go for it, method is what I have used mostly.

Part of the fun is to do your research, pick a time period, style, use,your skill level, then tailor it for your purpose.

As far as fringe is concerned, I believe that the differences will very as to style, clothing use, skill of the maker etc.
Same as you most likely wouldn't wear a 3-piece suit while hunting, or a camo outfit at a wedding, (well, maybe some of you would).

I have to believe that past peoples are pretty much the same as us, when it came to work clothes and party clothes.

I prefer no or short fringe on my bush/work gear, but my war shirt, wear around camp, try to impress everyone,........ has long fringe, and a lot more decoration, shells, tinkle bells, beads etc.

And YCC is right, ...The first cut is the toughest.........
Good luck and have fun.