PDA

View Full Version : Passing time while bushwacking

MCBushbaby
12-22-2007, 02:37 AM
If you're in a position where you've set your traps, or better yet already have food, and have all your priorities in check, take a nap. Nothing like conserving energy and passing time than a good midafternoon nap. I haven't read it in a book nor seen it in any film documentaries, but I highly recommend a nap if you've nothing else to do. I mean, you could carve out a bowl or stare into your fire, but if you have enough firewood, shelter's been built, etc., don't think napping is a sign of lethargia.

wareagle69
12-22-2007, 08:39 AM
i think the saying early to bed early to rise came from the days when you worked all you could during the daylight hours and slept when it got dark although when in rome do as no wait is it when in mexico do as the, well never mind..

Rick
12-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Mitch - You couldn't be more right. Not only is it a great way to conserve energy but a number of studies suggest that siestas may be just the thing to improve your overall health. Here's an article from Harvard Medical School. See how smart you are!?

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/2007-releases/press02122007.html

corndog-44
12-23-2007, 04:18 AM
Like wareagle said, "early to bed early to rise". Don't know if too much sleep is really good for you. I like to whittle to kill time in the backwoods.

Pan
12-23-2007, 05:36 AM
I can hardly imagine not having need to make more cordage or tools or somthing. But lets say bellys full, fully rested and bored. I'd probably try to make a flute ( like easy rivercane type not a cedar one) or use a hide (from the stack of them over by the smoked meat) and try to make a drum or somthing or just sit there and sing to my volleyball.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
12-23-2007, 07:37 AM
siesta is ok by me most times and yet there always seems to be sumthin could be doing,, like making tools adding insulation to shelter obtaining food theres always sumthing we can do and yet sometimes a nap is juss the thing to clear the head and relax .

dilligaf2u2
12-23-2007, 08:20 AM
I find making rope or string is a great way to pass time. I sometimes weave baskets. Relaxing and keeps my hands busy.

Don

ARussell
12-23-2007, 11:34 PM
But... if you nap in the day you may have trouble falling asleep at night.. which isnt fun in the wilderness

Rick
12-23-2007, 11:39 PM
You busy guys say what you want but I can't imagine anything better than a nice warm spring day with the sun shining warm on your face. Just perfect for a (yawn) nice long nazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Jay
12-24-2007, 12:28 AM
I'd probably try to make a flute ( like easy rivercane type not a cedar one) or use a hide (from the stack of them over by the smoked meat) and try to make a drum or somthing or just sit there and sing to my volleyball.[/QUOTE]

As Pan pointed out most people will find something to do. What I cant understand is "Why?". Why the need to always be doing something? Forever planning some future thing or else remembering/reflecting on something long done. Are people afraid to just be with their own thoughts? For me the most precious moments in the wilderness is when all the work is done and I can just sit still for a while. When doing bird or mammal counts at waterholes sometimes you have to wait for hours without moving or talking. I really enjoy them.
(Just be still and you observe behaviour that scientists will kill for.)

Two Rivers
12-24-2007, 10:00 AM
These days, if not in pristine country...you'ld be singing to your volley ball, your beer can, plastic bags, whiskey bottles, pop bottles, condoms, hypodermic needles, fishing line in the form of a birds nest, ( Hate when that happens) a bobber or two in the trees, etc.