PDA

View Full Version : sauerkraut question

oldtrap59
07-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Looking to make some sauerkaut this fall. Over the years have made it in both a crock( as my grandparents and folks did) and also in the jars as I read to do in one of many old back issues of back to the land magazines I have laying around. My question is. If you make sauerkraut, how do you do it? Do you think that one method or the other makes a better finished product? As I remember the in the jar method makes a bit sweeter kraut but then that might have been just the recipe I was using. Yes I've looked online at alot of recipes but looking for some personal input here.

oldtrap

hunter63
07-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Have made it both ways as well, I prefer the crock method, (but with out the crock).
Clean sterilized 5 gal food grade bucket, is what I use these days.

I gave up on the crocks when it seemed that the juice seeped thru the glazing, allowing the top to get dry and moldy.
Same with crock pickles.

I think the problem was the crocks were stored in the garage, and the glazing seems to have micro cracks????? From freezing? Don't know for sure, but that's the only thing I can think of.

I use Carla Emery's recipe from her cook book.
http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Country-Living-Fashioned-Recipe/dp/0912365951

Basically chop up cabbage, sprinkle canning salt, till it starts wilting, then start mashing into the bucket(crock), continue in layers, keep mashing till juice covers the top of the kraut.
Put glass plate on top w/ zip lock bag filled with water to keep plate pressing the kraut down under the surface of the juice.

nell67
07-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I chop the cabbage and pack into jars to which I have already added 1 teaspoon of salt,then I pour boiling water into the jar,making sure to get as much water into the jar as I can using a spoon handle or one of the sticks used to allow bubbles to escape (comes with some canning kit's),wipe the rim of the jar,and place to the sterilized lid and ring LOOSELY and sit in a cool dark place to "work" for 2 weeks,then tighten the ring,wipe the outside of the jar clean,and store.

No sweetness to that stuff!

Camp10
07-05-2010, 08:01 AM
I chop the cabbage and pack into jars to which I have already added 1 teaspoon of salt,then I pour boiling water into the jar,making sure to get as much water into the jar as I can using a spoon handle or one of the sticks used to allow bubbles to escape (comes with some canning kit's),wipe the rim of the jar,and place to the sterilized lid and ring LOOSELY and sit in a cool dark place to "work" for 2 weeks,then tighten the ring,wipe the outside of the jar clean,and store.

No sweetness to that stuff!

So the jars never get sealed? My grandmother made it with a crock. I wish I paid more attention but if I remember right, she would can it after it was done and the jars would be sealed. Will yours continue to ferment after the lids are tightened?

Rick
07-05-2010, 08:42 AM
I've never made it but some in the family did when I was younger. I'm pretty sure rye flower was placed in the bottom to aid fermentation. I also seem to remember apples being used in the bottom (but not both). Do any of you use something to aid fermentation of the cabbage? Also, I know late cabbage was used. I think after the first frost since it had a higher sugar content.

Justin Case
07-05-2010, 08:46 AM
I always heard that my Grandparents used to bury it in the back yard for awhile ?? Thats all I remember,

Winnie
07-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I like the idea of apple. In Europe we add Caraway seed too.

nell67
07-05-2010, 05:50 PM
So the jars never get sealed? My grandmother made it with a crock. I wish I paid more attention but if I remember right, she would can it after it was done and the jars would be sealed. Will yours continue to ferment after the lids are tightened?

No,all the fermenting is complete after 2 weeks,other wise it would not be safe to seal the jars,they would burst,the reason you don't seal them is when they "work" the juice spews out around the lid/ring,if they were sealed the pressure would be too great for the glass.You can eat it after the "working" period is complete.

Camp10
07-05-2010, 05:57 PM
That makes sense Nell. I only wish I could remember how my grandmother made it. Do you suppose it could be sealed after the process was done? I only ask because I am pretty sure I remember it being sealed in the jars.

nell67
07-05-2010, 06:00 PM
When you tighten it down,it literally seals itself,I mean you have to PRY that lid off the jar to get to the kraut inside!

woodsman86
12-06-2011, 11:06 PM
So I got a lot of cabbage really cheap and have the bright idea of making sauerkraut with it. I read this old thread but still have some questions.

Is there any new input as far as recipes are concerned? So far I am liking the layer cabbage with salt method in a 5 gal bucket.

After the kraut is done, what is the easiest method for canning without a pressure cooker or is a pressure cooker required to properly can kraut?

Winnie
12-07-2011, 04:57 AM
Here you go Woodsman.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/sauerkraut.html

I don't ever remember my mum canning it, and by the sounds of it, no-one else does. The fermentation process does the preserving. However as usual, make up your own mind.

gryffynklm
12-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Winnie, that looks like the recipe I was Looking at. By the way like the recipe states use canning salt. I don't think table salt will work correctly.

crashdive123
12-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Now if you could can the sauerkraut and hot dogs together......

woodsman86
12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Kraut and hotdogs...mmmm I am a big Reuben person, just something about corn beef and kraut that makes me smile. I am going to use that recipe tonight and hopefully put together a how-to with the help of the wife. Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted.

nell67
12-07-2011, 11:58 PM
woodsman,you can use table salt (I do) to make saurkraut,works just fine,and you do not need to pressure can them,nore even a hot water bath,I put 1 teaspoon of salt in the bottom of a quart jar,add cabbage (packed tightly) and then fill with boiling water,wipe the rim/threads of the jar and put thelid/ring on loosely,do not tighten it down,as the kraut must "work" (ferment) and that causes alot of pressure and it will casue the jar to explode if you tighten the lid down.

let it work for at least 14 days in a cool dark place,then wipe jars again and add to pantry.

woodsman86
12-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks Nell. I ended up with a bucket full after lining it with a turkey roasting bag. I picked up the canning salt and went to town chopping while my wife salted it. Seems to be working well, got a bunch of bubbles going. I will hopefully post a new thread tonight or tomorrow with all the pictures and plan to take pictures as it goes. So far it has been a fun experience.