PDA

View Full Version : So i am dying/Best wilderness survival book?

EveryManALion
07-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Nvm false alarm!:) not dying ha

Justin Case
07-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Sorry, No offence intended, But if you plan on going out in the wilderness to die, why would you want a book on how to survive there ?

EveryManALion
07-04-2010, 11:45 AM
asdasdadadadadadadad

Justin Case
07-04-2010, 11:50 AM
umm,, ok, well i wish you the best of luck, My advise would be to head over to the Intro section and tell us more about you , this will help provide you with better advise, also, This Forum is plumb full of the kinds of info you seek, just explore the site a bit.

EveryManALion
07-04-2010, 11:53 AM
asdasdadadadadadadad

Justin Case
07-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Have a look at this thread ;)
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5483&highlight=book+review

oly
07-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Theres alot of survival books along with wild edibles and medical plant out there but I cannot help someone to do such a thing, but on the other hand I respect the Indians when they say its time to go home.

owl_girl
07-04-2010, 12:10 PM
i havnt had a lot of books. mostly used internet research and practice, but my mom sent me "How to Stay Alive in the Woods" by Bradford Angier, this is a good book id recommend it. it cover food, shelter, traps, navigation and so on. id also get a few field guides on the wild edibles in the areas youll be going to. go to amazon.com and look at the customer ratings for the best field guides. best of luck :)

crashdive123
07-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Good luck with your journey.

EveryManALion
07-04-2010, 12:27 PM
thank you very much,ill be around for another week or so so any other info. is appreciated.

Sarge47
07-04-2010, 12:30 PM
According to your IP address your somewhere on the East coast near New Jersey, is this the area you're going to be in? :cool2:

EveryManALion
07-04-2010, 12:39 PM
No,ill be leaving from Philly.. but heading to Texas then south into mexico then further south

BENESSE
07-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Are you walking?

EveryManALion
07-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Greyhound from philly to the border,then a diff. bus company to mexico city,then hitchhicking to the yucatan,Then down into belize,west to guatamala,then south...

BENESSE
07-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Seems like a fun route.
The wilderness down in the Yucatan is quite different from NE USA. Might want to look into books about their flora & fauna if you plan on spending any time there.

EveryManALion
07-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Ah thank you,i dont want to load up on tons of books as i will hopefully find out information from the locals if need be,I just need a general all around book in terms of survival/tips if need be.

BENESSE
07-04-2010, 01:07 PM
I found that "The Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Survival Skills, Tactics, and Techniques" book by Jay McCullough the best all-around survival book. It has 954 pages, but well worth it.
Can't go wrong with that one.

EveryManALion
07-04-2010, 01:09 PM
appreciated,anything else
?

BENESSE
07-04-2010, 01:09 PM
btw...are you going off your meds?

rwc1969
07-04-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't think you will find a book that will fully suit your needs.

I hope you do well though.

EveryManALion
07-04-2010, 01:52 PM
the medication did not really combat the issue,just mask it and make it liveable,ive weened myself off them for the past 2 months in prep. of this.

Camp10
07-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I wish you the very best. Tom Brown's "field guide to wilderness survival" along with a guide to northeastern wild edibles are the two books that ride along with me in my pack but they might not be the best choices in your environment(obviously the wild edibles wouldnt help much). I'm sure that some of the other's from hotter, dryer climates can give you better choices for books.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-04-2010, 02:36 PM
In my travels I have found and made friends with the locals and do things thier way. There are two kinds of people, some memorize facts and apply them when they need them and then others that make it up as they go. A combination would be best but sounds like you don't much time according doctors but I never put much stock in them anyway. Don't be surprized if you live a lot longer than you think when you get away from them. Go for it!

EveryManALion
07-04-2010, 03:08 PM
thank you so much guys!

oldsoldier
07-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Have to agree with owlgirls reccomendation. As for the SAS survival guide, IMHO its a good basic information book, can IMO be used as a baseline referance whereever you are. I would suggest that you check into books on jungle survival since that seems to be the general area you wish to travel to.

That being said I wish you luck if you decide to go through with your plans. HOWEVER I do suggest that you DO NOT completely drop medical treatment. Even if the treatment only "masking" as you said. At the very least it will increase the quality of your time remaining even if it doesn't lengthen your life.

I am NOT a doctor, nor do I claim to be a doctor. But being a paramedic trained I have had some experience and suggest that you consult your Doctor before you depart.
Hope you well and send you prayers that you recover from your illness.

hunter63
07-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Have to agree with owlgirls reccomendation. As for the SAS survival guide, IMHO its a good basic information book, can IMO be used as a baseline referance whereever you are. I would suggest that you check into books on jungle survival since that seems to be the general area you wish to travel to.

That being said I wish you luck if you decide to go through with your plans. HOWEVER I do suggest that you DO NOT completely drop medical treatment. Even if the treatment only "masking" as you said. At the very least it will increase the quality of your time remaining even if it doesn't lengthen your life.

I am NOT a doctor, nor do I claim to be a doctor. But being a paramedic trained I have had some experience and suggest that you consult your Doctor before you depart.
Hope you well and send you prayers that you recover from your illness.

This was pretty much what I was thinking as well, and wish you luck, prayers and good wishes.

Not real sure how a lot of gear and special survival knowledge, would serve you.
If your gonna be busing it and such, as you say, a hammock, sleeping gear, basic cooking (water and fire) hygiene, and basic back-packing gear should serve.

justin_baker
07-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Not trying to be super discouraging, but if you need a book to cover all of the basics, then you have a ways to go in preparation. Mabeye give it a year or two, learn all you can before going on any serious wilderness expeditions. I fully support your ambitions, but i wouldnt want them to be cut short because you got into a situation that you could not handle.

Then again, i dont fully know how experienced you are, where you are going, and what gear you are bringing, so i might seem a little too cautious. Just make sure to get experience ahead of time, spend a weekend in the woods, then a week, then two weeks. Test yourself and you will quickly figure out how much you are capable of.

crashdive123
07-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Not trying to be super discouraging, but if you need a book to cover all of the basics, then you have a ways to go in preparation. Mabeye give it a year or two, learn all you can before going on any serious wilderness expeditions. I fully support your ambitions, but i wouldnt want them to be cut short because you got into a situation that you could not handle.

Then again, i dont fully know how experienced you are, where you are going, and what gear you are bringing, so i might seem a little too cautious. Just make sure to get experience ahead of time, spend a weekend in the woods, then a week, then two weeks. Test yourself and you will quickly figure out how much you are capable of.

Justin - you may want to go back and really read the original post.