PDA

View Full Version : The most dangerous task you do on a daily basis...

RangerXanatos
07-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Drive... Do you talk on your cell phone while driving? Drive at reckless speeds? Take unnecessary risks? It may not always be you, but other drivers do. These are situations that we have little -to no- control of.

Warning: This video is graphic!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-az1smQMWHYk/drive_safely/

Mistakes that could have been corrected and saved lives:
Talking/Texting on cell phones.
Aggressive driving/Speeding.
Not watching the road and the immediate surroundings.
Not looking both ways before crossing roads.
Not paying attention to oncoming traffic.
Not paying attention to stopped traffic.
A child seat is ineffective if not used properly.
Following too closely.
Passing in curves/hills with limited sight distance.
Sudden swerving to dodge movable objects.
Crossing railroad tracks with oncoming trains.
Not checking blind spots before lane changing.
Over-correcting/Jerking the steering.
Road-rage.
If having car trouble, not pulling completely off the side of the road.
Illegal use of substances.
Failure to yield.
Driving recklessly in unsafe conditions.
Not looking before exiting a vehicle.

One of the easiest ways to make your driving safer is by inspecting your vehicle. Check your:
Breaks, Brake fluid and components
Lights
Other Electrical equipment
Oil Fluid and Filter
Transmission fluid and filter
Air filter
Belts and hoses
Engine Cooling fluid
Power steering
Battery, battery fluid, terminals and cables
Other fluids
Tires
Mirrors
CV Boots
Shocks
Spare tire and tire changing appliances
Windshield wipers
Horn
Exhaust for leaks

If I missed anything, please add to it.

Ken
07-03-2010, 03:43 AM
It was graphic, but that video makes the point. Thanks, Ranger.

Born2Late
07-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Really a eye opener.Makes you think again.

Rick
07-03-2010, 06:57 AM
Everyone should drive like they own their car....not the highway. Great post!

Camp10
07-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Great post RX. I wish every driver could watch it before heading out!

The only thing I can think to add to your list is to make sure you use your turn signals and if you are hauling a trailer, make sure the lights work. I hate finding out that the jerk you are following didnt get the lights working on his trailer.

Justin Case
07-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Excellent post RX,,thanks,, Rep on its way ,

gryffynklm
07-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Great post RX, I hadn't seen that one. I've seen others. The thing that struck me is that at least 40% of the footage was from traffic cameras of actual accidents. Its not just a video produced as a public service announcement.

RX touched on this but we also need to consider driving conditions. Not only for yourself but for those around you. We maintain our cars, know our tires condition, The wipers are good and feel confident to take a trip in poor weather and road conditions, we done it before. The point here is we don't know about those on the road.

In the last three years I have turned around and delayed a trip because of snow and freezing conditions. Not because the road conditions were so bad or because I didn't have confidence in my winter driving abilities or my car's condition, they kind of go hand n hand. It was because after driving 20 or so miles to get to the main and better plowed roads I encountered several accidents all being taken care of. I had time as we crept past to notice that a good number of the vehicles had bad tires. I saw the same thing after turning around at the next exit. This was twice in WV and once outside Denver. Not worth the aggravation or risk.

If conditions are bad while driving I look out for bad tires and bad habits of those around me along the things above.

Rick
07-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Just about every day I see folks riding in the front passenger seat with their feet on the dash. I wonder if they've ever given consideration to what would happen to them if the airbag deployed. One could imagine their knees being driven into their forehead not to mention what would happen to their spine as they were instantly folded in half. If your better half or your kids are riding around with their feet propped up on the dash you might take a minute and explain what the consequences might be.

And for pity sake, put down the cell phone, sandwich, newspaper and make-up. Driving with you knees is pretty impressive, however,

Rockgod1619
07-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I saw the title of this post and the first thing that came to mind was "Driving." Graphic video, great message. I can't tell you how many times a day I see people driving their cars, talking and texting on their phones, not wearing their seatbelts.

I was supposed to meet a friend of mine for racquetball one day and he was late. I got a phone call from him saying that he "got pulled over, speeding and not wearing my seatbelt". I was in a nursing clinical rotation in a trauma ICU at the time and when he got to the courts, I looked at him and said, "Speeding and not wearing your seatbelt? You think I want to go into clinicals tomorrow and see your *** lying in a bed??" Needless to say I got my point across and he has since changed his driving habits. Working in a trauma ICU, you really see the consequences of bad decisions.

Thanks again for the post, RX.

Batch
07-03-2010, 05:19 PM
We had two trucks going down to Homestead a couple of weeks ago. Our trucks are about 30' or more long with cranes mounted on top of the bed. My guys were also towing a 30' trailer with a large sign on the trailer. A lady in a car cut between the truck with the trailer and the truck following and actually hit the trailer. She then sped up and cut so closely in front of the truck towing the trailer that she clipped the bumper of that truck. She damaged her own vehicle in the process. She then continued on and side swiped a bus. She never stopped or even changed her driving.

One of our guys was hit the Thursday before last. He was out of work for a week. His SUV was t-boned and rolled three times. He was wearing his seat belt, thankfully!