PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Lug Nuts and a Length of Black Pipe.

Ken
07-01-2010, 11:49 PM
My daughter got a flat tire on Sunday morning, about a half mile from home. Does she call AAA? No, she calls Dad.

She's driving something like her 8th. car in 5 years (a "new" 5 year old Audi) and she changes cars so often that I can't keep up with the things any more.

So of course, the lug nuts were frozen, and all the pushing and pulling in the world wasn't gonna' crack those things. AND THAT is why I keep a 30" length of 3/4" black pipe in my car. Fits right over and extends the lug wrench. Nothing like a bit of added leverage to get the job done. Just something you may want to consider adding to your trunk kit, even though YOU rotate and maintain your tires regularly to prevent the lug nuts from freezing on your own vehicles. Right? :innocent:

BENESSE
07-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Wanna adopt me?

Ken
07-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Wanna adopt me?

Sorry, B, but I'm not old enough. :innocent:

oly
07-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Just an added safety statment is that it best to loosen the lug nuts before jacking up the car.
I have never rolled a car off the jack while loosening lug nuts:innocent:

Ken
07-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Just an added safety statment is that it best to loosen the lug nuts before jacking up the car.
I have never rolled a car off the jack while loosening lug nuts:innocent:

Oly, I assumed everyone knew that. Thanks for the reminder. Thing is, you have to tighten them when the car's off the jack as well, because no matter how tight you think they're on when the car's jacked up, there not.

BENESSE
07-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Sorry, B, but I'm not old enough. :innocent:

No, guess not.
With age comes experience and good taste.

Ken
07-02-2010, 12:07 AM
No, guess not.
With age comes experience and good taste.

I'm not going there. I'm not.

Camp10
07-02-2010, 05:46 AM
I use just a little dab of Permatex anti-seize lubricant on each wheel stud and have never had this problem. The pipe is a good idea but remember, you can break those wheel studs right off if you arent careful!

randyt
07-02-2010, 07:11 AM
a breaker bar is nice. I have a old jeep and after breaking a few studs off it dawned on me that it was left hand thread.

Old GI
07-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Tried the extension idea once. Broke the lug clean off.

gryffynklm
07-02-2010, 08:47 AM
The last flat I got, I actually broke the OEM lug wrench, walked two miles to a truck stop and borrowed a t wrench from a waitress walked back, and snapped the socket in two. Thank you NBT for tightening the **** out of my lugs. $125 for a cab at 1:30 am 1 hour sleep before a taxi to the airport. What Fun!

Rick
07-02-2010, 08:51 AM
That's why I pay $5 a month for roadside assistance.

Justin Case
07-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Get AAA its worth every cent, I used to drive a tow truck, here, a tow charge without AAA is 10.00 a mile ! (yes really)

BENESSE
07-02-2010, 09:06 AM
My grandpaw insisted I learn how to change a tire and check the oil as soon as I got the learner's permit. Sure came in handy a few times.

BENESSE
07-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Get AAA its worth every cent, I used to drive a tow truck, here, a tow charge without AAA is 10.00 a mile ! (yes really)

You are right about that.
We've been members forever, and we don't even own a car.
They also have great tour books that you get at no additional charge. I love AAA!

Justin Case
07-02-2010, 09:11 AM
You are right about that.
We've been members forever, and we don't even own a car.
They also have great tour books that you get at no additional charge. I love AAA!

Yes, thats a good piont, Many assume if you have no car you have no need for AAA, but its you, the card holder that gets the benefit, it doesnt matter whos car it is as long as you are there with the card.

BENESSE
07-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Now that we're going on this great driving expedition, we'll be glad we have it. And the tour books were really handy.

Ken
07-02-2010, 09:16 AM

She has AAA. She also has DAD. She prefers to call DAD. :innocent:

Justin Case
07-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Now that we're going on this great driving expedition, we'll be glad we have it. And the tour books were really handy.

take advantage of the motels they partner with, you will save quite a bit.

Justin Case
07-02-2010, 09:21 AM
She has AAA. She also has DAD. She prefers to call DAD. :innocent:

When I drove for them ,we had Mac tools electric Impact guns, (battery, 18 volt i think) anyway, they worked WELL ! But, we also carried 3 foot 3/4 breaker bars for the stubborn ones, But if they were really frozen, Rather than risk breaking the stud off we would just tow them to a tire shop.

2dumb2kwit
07-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Hmmmm......another reason, not to go up north. Frozen nuts.:innocent:

BENESSE
07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
I'd say frozen nuts would be preferable to just plain nuts down south.

2dumb2kwit
07-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I'd say frozen nuts would be preferable to just plain nuts down south.

What makes you think that my........oh, nevermind.:innocent: LOL

hunter63
07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Rotate your tires, when ever I get a new set, they throw in rotation for "free".
Good way to get everything else checked every 5K miles.

Last time I used my "cheater" bar (pipe) broke 3 lugs off one wheel.
If you break off one, good bet you will break off another, time to switch to "Plan B".

hunter63
07-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Point of interest, a wheel will stay on for 30 miles with 2 lug nuts, but not recommended.

Rick
07-02-2010, 11:43 PM
And you know that point of interest ... how?

nell67
07-03-2010, 06:57 AM
I broke a belt in a tire yesterday,tried and tried to get ONE lug nit odd that stupid wheel,but nothing doing,took it Big O tire,and THEY couldn't get it off either got home and grabbed a chisel and hammer and finally got it off along with the pretty JEEP center cap,oh well.

Big O says that it a design issue with the Jeep Cherokee lug nuts,and mine is not the first they have had issues with.

Camp10
07-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Point of interest, a wheel will stay on for 30 miles with 2 lug nuts, but not recommended.

Lol! A co-worker of mine owns a Rambler Scrambler. Very rare car, only 1500 ever made...anyways, he brought it to work for the first time ever last week. I went out with him to take a look and the very first thing I noticed was he only had 2 lug nuts on each wheel! It turns out that he decided to polish them and left them on the bench!

His wife was able to deliver them before he drove it home. He went about 25 miles, so I guess he was fine!:innocent:

hunter63
07-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Lol! A co-worker of mine owns a Rambler Scrambler. Very rare car, only 1500 ever made...anyways, he brought it to work for the first time ever last week. I went out with him to take a look and the very first thing I noticed was he only had 2 lug nuts on each wheel! It turns out that he decided to polish them and left them on the bench!

His wife was able to deliver them before he drove it home. He went about 25 miles, so I guess he was fine!:innocent:

LOL, I hear ya..... back in my sports car racing days, decided to take a test run around the block.........words still ringing in my ears.......Little girl on the corner......Hey mister, your wheels fell off.

Those two lug nuts need to be tight.

Rambler Scramblers were made here in Kenosha, WI, still alot around, couple of friends have them, a BIL had a prototype, big motor, all the goodies, but not the paint.
Another BIL had the SC Hornet, also rare, we called it "The Hermit" always in the garage, getting worked on....fast though.

Not just zoom, zoom fast, but wind it up, and launch fast.

AMC central.

Lot of AMX's, Javelins, Hornets, Gremlins, and even Pacers.
Factory, whats left of it, is finally being closed down in December, ending 100years of car manufacturing

Camp10
07-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Rambler Scramblers were made here in Kenosha, WI, still alot around, couple of friends have them, a BIL had a prototype, big motor, all the goodies, but not the paint.
Another BIL had the SC Hornet, also rare, we called it "The Hermit" always in the garage, getting worked on....fast though.

Not just zoom, zoom fast, but wind it up, and launch fast.

AMC central.

Lot of AMX's, Javelins, Hornets, Gremlins, and even Pacers.
Factory, whats left of it, is finally being closed down in December, ending 100years of car manufacturing

I didnt know there were lots of Scramblers around anyplace! I've only seen two in my life. There is a Rebel Machine running around here once in a while also but I have no idea who owns it. I would like to get my hands on a solid AMX or Javelin as my next project. I doubt I will find one in New England though, they just dont come up for sale around here and when they do noone can afford what they want for them.

I might have to save my money and take a road trip to your neck of the woods when I am ready for the next toy!

hunter63
07-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Lots of them stashed in garages all over town.

At one time AMC employed over 7000 people at the plants, and a lot of those employees got discounts, as well as special deals on prototypes and one -offs.

Guy (old friend, took the pic's of my DD wedding)) was photographer at the AMC proving ground out in Burlinton, WI. Layed off after a lots of years.
He still has his RS as far as I know. Bought it new.
The BIL's, RS prototype, tricked out American w/390 motor, got picked up by a collector, maybe 15 years ago.

Got an orange Gremlin, big motor, big tires, w/wheelie bars, goes by the house every summer, Wed nite on the way to Andy's Drive In......for the car show.