PDA

View Full Version : Bigger hole in the water to throw money into!

Alaskan Survivalist
07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
My nephew is storing a boat he inherited with me. I'm closer to the water and will save him towing it 350 miles and for my part I can use it all I want.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1269.jpg

I will need to make a few modifications for Alaskan waters. I have all the gear needed to rig her for fishing.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/Fishing/IMG_0841.jpg

It needs batteries and I will be mounting my 5 HP Honda longshaft as auxilary and need brackets for that. I also want to get an enclosed bimini top and a heater to extend fishing season year round.

BENESSE
07-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Don't throw me into the briar patch!

Rick
07-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Are we going to see another boat on Deadliest Catch? I'll be looking for the bimini top.

hunter63
07-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Nice boat, I can why you would want a top and heater, for your area.

Sadly the only one of my boats that have been in the water so far, is the smallest.

Looks like fun.

Ken
07-02-2010, 03:00 PM
I also want to get an enclosed bimini top and a heater to extend fishing season year round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIoom4k8If0 :innocent:

Alaskan Survivalist
07-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Are we going to see another boat on Deadliest Catch? I'll be looking for the bimini top.

I won't be going out intentionally in anything more than 4 foot seas with a boat like this. It will be parked in the driveway and I'll be riding out heavy storms in my living room. I am centrally located to access Prince William Sound or Cook Inlet depending on weather reports. My trips will be more like cruising out to a glacier fiord, droping a few shrimp pots, fish for halibut all day then return to fiord to spend the night. Repeat this the next day until I have loaded a freezer up back in Valdez, pick up shrimp pots and drive home. There is a lot of protected water and boat is fast enough to out run bad weather. I will still be using Zodiac, Inflatable Kayak and fishing from the bank depending on logistics, I fish at a profit or don't bother. Having a boat I can overnight in has some advantages that off set fuel consumption but the main advantage is having a cabin in bad weather. I still would prefer my Zodiac in rough seas but I will stay a lot drier in ths boat and people I go out with feel better in a bigger boat. I can usually get people to pay fuel costs to go with me and many will opt for the bigger boat and gladly pay the extra cost. It will be great to haul supplies to my BOL.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Nice boat, I can why you would want a top and heater, for your area.

Sadly the only one of my boats that have been in the water so far, is the smallest.

Looks like fun.

Smaller boats always get used more and I will probably still use my zodiac more in the summer months. If I could afford it I would be out there fishing from a 100 foot motor yacht will servents bringing me drinks with umbrellas in them somewhere in the South Pacific or slugging down a few beers in your ice fishing cabin.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-02-2010, 04:00 PM
My brother in laws boat is more of an Alaskan boat. With 150 HP honda it is pretty fast too. It has a shallow semi v hull that can do white water or protected off shore water. More room for hunting, fishing and hualing supplies and welded aluminum is king in these waters.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1182.jpg

hunter63
07-02-2010, 05:07 PM
This boat, inherated from a BIL, who passed, we sold.
Mine is idenical, modified jon style, has all the fishing stuff on board, sump, live well, finder, as well as being camoed for duck hunting.

Has the fold down blind (pictured) on, as does mine, real pain taking it on/off, so I planning on a cut down version, that's not so heavy.
With a tarp over the top, we have spent the nite on board several times, so as to be out there first light.
Boats are my 3rd most favorite thing to fool wth and spend money on.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/PICT0704.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/PICT0702.jpg

Alaskan Survivalist
07-02-2010, 05:12 PM
You would love woods behind my house.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/scan00012.jpg

Rick
07-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Is there a road over to Prince William? Can you pull that thing to some place like Whittier to put in?

hunter63
07-02-2010, 06:40 PM
You would love woods behind my house.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/scan00012.jpg

Yes I would, this boat isn't much on big water, like a deep "V" for that, but floats in about 3" of water, good for rivers, sloughs, smaller lakes.

40 Hp motor is actually too big, use a 5 Hp or double trolling motors, duck bill push pole, for shallow water.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Is there a road over to Prince William? Can you pull that thing to some place like Whittier to put in?

Whittier and Valdez are the only places to access Prince William sound by road. Here we get into some of the costs. Whittier is only a couple hours away but I have to drive through Anchorage which means I need all my lights working and current plates on my vehicle, then it costs 13 dollars to get through the tunnel and another 7 if towing a trailer. Then it costs 15 dollars a day to park and 15 dollars to use the boat ramp each time, in and out. Whitier is a rippoff and police drive around lokking for people not paying to legally park. It totals 55 dollars before counting fuel but they can get away with it because Anchorage weekend warriors are willing to pay the price. Valdez is farther away but only a 5 dollar fee to use ramp a day and you can put your boat in and out as much as you want. Parking is also 5 dollars a day. You cannot access Prince William sound without paying somebody. Cook Inlet has become almost has bad but there is more access but the only place I can get in the water and camp for free is whiskey Gulch where a friend of mine lives and has a tractor large enough to launch boat on beach directly into the surf. The Zodiac has many atvantages in where I can Launch and my Kayak even more. I have to catch hundreds of pounds of fish to make it worth while, so this boat will mean more overnight trips.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Yes I would, this boat isn't much on big water, like a deep "V" for that, but floats in about 3" of water, good for rivers, sloughs, smaller lakes.

40 Hp motor is actually too big, use a 5 Hp or double trolling motors, duck bill push pole, for shallow water.

Yeah, but that big motor could handle a jet unit and run Knik river too. I see airboats and those boats with the long shafts like they use in China back there and off coarse boats like yours. I use my kayak or my Coot traveling back there. I have had to hold up in duck blinds when the weather kicks up but most of the time it is pretty nice (for Alaskan weather).

Rick
07-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I haven't been over to Whittier or Valdez from the land side. I thought all that was glaciers and that cold white stuff. Is there a tunnel to Whittier or do you go via the Seward Highway? If you go that way I know a great outhouse you can pit stop at...maybe.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-02-2010, 07:23 PM
I haven't been over to Whittier or Valdez from the land side. I thought all that was glaciers and that cold white stuff. Is there a tunnel to Whittier or do you go via the Seward Highway? If you go that way I know a great outhouse you can pit stop at...maybe.

They opened up the train tunnel and take turns going each direction. It is right by Portage Glacier. Hope cutoff is a bit farther down the Seward Highway if you are talking about the outhouse I think you are. It might be worth the trip though. All the crappers on the highway have those annoying doors.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Just a side note Rick. It is only 50 miles as the crow flies to Prince William Sound and I have a way there over the glacier. Coot will get halfway there and snow shoes and climbing gear will get me the rest of the way. I can access Cook inlet by boat from here. That is part of my survival plan I have been working out.

Rick
07-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh, well hot dang!! I didn't know you could drive through the tunnel. This is it right?

This whole learning new stuff is A Okay in my book. And, yeah, that's the pit stop I was referring to. No door makes for a quick in and out. No fussin' with a key or a lock. Just stop and go and go and go, then go.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Yes. There is also a hiking trail over the mountain too. On rare occasions they allow pedestrians in tunnel for special events. It is about 7 miles long and it starts to freak me out driving through it, especially when the exhaust from other vehicles begin to build up.