PDA

View Full Version : Long Weekend Plans?

DickensCPA
07-01-2010, 02:51 PM
I have a pretty substantial commute to the office. I'm cutting out at around 2PM or so and my wife is meeting me halfway so my son and I can camp the whole weekend. We had a little girl addition this past Dec, 6 1/2 months old. Can't wait til she's old enough to go with Daddy and big brother camping.

Back in about March I bought some of those plastic bins and put everything camping related in those. That way I could put everything in the truck and take it to work, pick up the boy and go straight to the woods. Learned that lesson the hard way late last Fall with short day time hours. My office is way North of home and these woods were way South. We'd never been there before and also got way lost. LOL! Sucks keeping up with an excited little boy and pitching camp in the dark. Even with getting lost, if I hadn't had to pack the truck from scratch, I probably could have pitched camp with a bit of daylight most likely.

Alaskan Survivalist
07-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Excellent! Seems like good bugging out practice. Share the story when you return and have fun.

crashdive123
07-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Enjoy your time in the woods!

Let's see - my long weekend plans......Friday - meeting in Apopka to continue working on IPM (Integrated Pest Management) plans for schools, for the state. Saturday - killing things. Sunday - honey do list. Monday - killing things.

Rick
07-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I hope you have a safe and great time. I like those totes as well. They are a good way to keep things organized.

DickensCPA
07-01-2010, 04:18 PM
I hope you have a safe and great time. I like those totes as well. They are a good way to keep things organized.

I've read for a while that a lot of people use those totes, but I was just too lazy to do it. This will only be our third trip using the totes but one thing I noticed was packing up the site was much easier and quicker too. Unloading the truck was even better.

This hasn't been our most productive camping year. We live right here in the Nashville, TN area and the flood really threw a wrench in outdoor activities.

Winnie
07-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Have a fun time!

2dumb2kwit
07-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Be sure to mark your totes. It would suck, to get to the woods, and realize that you have Christmas decorations, instead of camping gear! LOL:blushing:

Alaskan Survivalist
07-01-2010, 04:56 PM
My weekend plans just took a turn for the better. My nephew inherited a 22 foot Chris Craft that is kind of an offshore sport boat. He lives deep in the interior of Alaska and is on his way to Seward for the 4th and says he is going to store the boat at my place and I can use it all I want. It's to big for me to hual with my cars but my dipnetting partner has a pickup that will hual it and sure he will want to go Halibut fishing in this boat (my Zodiac scares him going out to far). I always try to bring my fish in at a profit and I don't have to buy a boat or truck and only have to pay half the costs of fuel to get it in the water.

Camp10
07-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Be sure to mark your totes. It would suck, to get to the woods, and realize that you have Christmas decorations, instead of camping gear! LOL:blushing:

I can see how that might happen. I have a purple tote for camping. It is the only purple one I own. My problem with them is that my wife can fit 20 lbs of stuff in a 5 lbs bag and she packed the tote! It takes three men and a boy to put it in the back of my pickup and if I take one napkin out of the thing, I can never get it back together or close the lid!

Have a great weekend DickensCPA! Enjoy the time with your son.

My weekend plans are to work on my fleet Saturday, go to work Sunday, and finish up a few knives on Monday.... I like your plans better!:)

Rick
07-01-2010, 06:10 PM
My weekend plans are to work on my fleet

Dang, man. That may have been too much information.

http://images.allegrocentral.com/FF/76/Fleet-Enema-Saline-Laxative,-4.5-Oz-547384-Enema-Saline-Laxative,-4.5-Oz-547384-Enema-Saline-Laxative,-4.5-Oz-547384-PRODUCT-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg

Pal334
07-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Started mine early, left work around noon time today and will be shutting off all work related communications. Have a ton of "Honey does" to get caught up on :(

Camp10
07-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Dang, man. That may have been too much information.

http://images.allegrocentral.com/FF/76/Fleet-Enema-Saline-Laxative,-4.5-Oz-547384-Enema-Saline-Laxative,-4.5-Oz-547384-Enema-Saline-Laxative,-4.5-Oz-547384-PRODUCT-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg

At my age, I had no idea that this even existed.:innocent:..sorry if I may have lead some older members here off topic! :sneaky2::)

BENESSE
07-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Rick hears fleet and gets all bright eyed and bushy tailed.
Has even a picture of it in his wallet.

Camp10
07-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Rick hears fleet and gets all bright eyed and bushy tailed.
Has even a picture of it in his wallet.

lol! Bright eyed, maybe. Bushy tailed..probably not!

crashdive123
07-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Some of us older guys think of something else when we hear the word fleet.

http://www.nenasili.cz/files/tiny_mce/Image/081011-US-pacific-01.jpg

Camp10
07-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Some of us older guys think of something else when we hear the word fleet.

http://www.nenasili.cz/files/tiny_mce/Image/081011-US-pacific-01.jpg

I would say that a regular person would think of that when they think of a fleet!!:clap:

BENESSE
07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Nothing regular about Rick. He is an exceptional man.

crashdive123
07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I would say that a regular person would think of that when they think of a fleet!!:clap:

Now that right there is funny. I don't care who you are.

BENESSE
07-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Took a day off.
Waiting for a cable guy.
They said btw. 8am & noon.
He'll probably show up at 1.

Sourdough
07-02-2010, 10:01 AM
My week-end plan: Dig hole, mix-concrete, but concrete into hole, repeat, repeat, repeat.

roar-k
07-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Going to Frozenhead State park with the wife and dogs. Going to enjoy not having to talk on the phone or fix someone's network.

Sunday we are getting our families together for a big cookout and then Monday I am heading to the grandparent's.

My grandmother is going to show me how she cans her green beans and how she makes strawberry preserves! She said she is doing the preserves differently now; she used to boil, add sugar, boil more and add more sugar, and so on until the right consistency. She said this method was horrible and it was always different. Now she does it another way and it's easier. I cannot wait to see it, but I swear if she has a jar from the local grocery and cans it I am going to scream.

grrlscout
07-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Last night: WBNA game
Tonight: Birthday dinner / drinks for a friend
Tomorrow: Getting the truck fixed, laundry, gardening, might make some more pickles too. :)
Sunday: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grrlscout224/4742041535/ :sailor:

DickensCPA
07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Heading out of the office in 23 minutes! Everyone be safe and have a good time!

Brad

your_comforting_company
07-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Pow-Wow with the Lower Chattahoochee division of the Great Creek Nation. Just found out. Our plans just changed!

Rick
07-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Another cool week-end planned. Pics please!!!!!

your_comforting_company
07-04-2010, 11:14 AM
you wouldn't believe my disappointment after an hour and a half drive to this place, there were only about a dozen people there and NONE of them were Native Americans. It was apparently misinformation on their website. There was a small gospel band on stage, every song sounded the same...
It reminded me of that cult village in that movie by M. Night Shamalan.. and the folks acted like we were about to be assimilated, so we left. I did take like two pictures of old debris shelters and huts that were falling down, but there were absolutely NO demonstrations, NO dancing, NO storytelling, No nothing. I didn't even see anyone who looked like a Native American.
I was pizzed.
Sorry for the buildup and let-down.. I was pretty darn disappointed. 3 hours of driving for nothing... GRR!

hunter63
07-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Just hanging out, packing truck and trailer for a trip to Louisiana, leaving O-dark thirty, figuring shouldn't be too much traffic on the 5Th, still holiday for a lot of people.

So, y'all have fun, we are planning on it.

roar-k
07-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Tip to all of you: Do not go to a park for the waterfalls if it hasn't rained in a month...

Everything was dried up on our trek and my wife wasn't happy considering all she wanted to see were the waterfalls...

Alaskan Survivalist
07-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Just hanging out, packing truck and trailer for a trip to Louisiana, leaving O-dark thirty, figuring shouldn't be too much traffic on the 5Th, still holiday for a lot of people.

So, y'all have fun, we are planning on it.

Doing the same thing! Waiting for traffic on the highway to thin then I will be gone for another week.

Rick
07-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Everyone stay safe on your trips. Have fun and post pics!!!!!

YCC and roar-K - Sorry things didn't work out. Lot's of preps and driving for nothing. Still, you got out of the house and spent some time with the family so all was not lost. Roar-k, I guess she wouldn't have been impressed if you pee'd over the side of a cliff...prob'ly not.

your_comforting_company
07-05-2010, 08:50 AM
note to self: no swimming in yellow waterfalls.

We regrouped and had a nice afternoon swimming, picknicking, and fishing at the creek, ate supper with some friends, popped a few firecrackers. Funny, we went all that way for something "special" but all the "special" things are right here at home! Lemons into lemonade :D

Rick
07-05-2010, 09:02 AM
That's what "survival" is all about isn't? Lemons into lemonade.

DickensCPA
07-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Wound up being an awesome camp out this weekend. My son and I both thought this was one of our best camps. Only two little things to quibble about: 1) I thought I had a primo tick defense. Not a lot got thru but enough did and they wound up in precarious places. 2) Apparently we weren't far enough off the grid. Some town close enough to the woods did their fireworks display 'til 12 midnight. Being in the woods and far enough away not to see the display, but we heard every boom and it kept both of us up a bit.

I tried this new stuff called "Afterbite." Decent stuff. One word of advive, put it on the bite BEFORE you've clawed at it. If you put it on afterwards it will light you up! LOL!

We had a flood here in Mid TN on 5/2 and it's been dry as a bone since. Every piece of firewood we gathered was dry and burnt to ash quickly.

roar-k
07-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Wound up being an awesome camp out this weekend. My son and I both thought this was one of our best camps. Only two little things to quibble about: 1) I thought I had a primo tick defense. Not a lot got thru but enough did and they wound up in precarious places. 2) Apparently we weren't far enough off the grid. Some town close enough to the woods did their fireworks display 'til 12 midnight. Being in the woods and far enough away not to see the display, but we heard every boom and it kept both of us up a bit.

I tried this new stuff called "Afterbite." Decent stuff. One word of advive, put it on the bite BEFORE you've clawed at it. If you put it on afterwards it will light you up! LOL!

We had a flood here in Mid TN on 5/2 and it's been dry as a bone since. Every piece of firewood we gathered was dry and burnt to ash quickly.

Afterbite is awesome. I actually like the stinging feeling... I keep some of it in my FAK just to have it around.