PDA

View Full Version : Remember?

Sarge47
12-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Awhile back we heard from another "Bare Wilderness" type who was one of a 2 man team that was going to head out into the wilderness of upstate New York with very little gear to test their mettle over a 3 week period. He's never came back on and finals are over so I don't know what's happened to him but here was the last little test I gave him:

1.) List the "Rule of Three".
2.) Name the 5 heat-loss mechanisms, describe what they are and what you
can do to avoid them.
3.) List the four essentials to Survival.
4.) List the 7 deadly enemies.

Anybody want to try their hand? The first one already has it's own thread, so let's disqualify that one and go for the next 3!:cool:

Tony uk
12-21-2007, 11:49 PM
1. 3 Minutes Without Air
3 Hours Without Shelter
3 Days Without Water
3 Weeks Without Food

2. Conduction, When heat is transfered from a hot object to a cold one, Wear clothing around all skin that you will be handeling cold objects with
Convection, When air takes heat from you, Wrap up well and layer your clothing, Wear a hat,cloves and cover exposed skin
Radiation,When heat leaves your body and travels up, Agen wear proper clothing and if possibel put something insulating over you like a poncho or other shelter roof (<--- Not to sure about that one)
Evapouration, Heat lost by being taken by cold moisture, like when your wet, Properly layer your clothing so that you can take some off in the warm times and put the heaveyer stuff on when its cold, Bring spare clothing in case your current set gets wet
Respiration, When you lose heat throught your breath, You take cold air in and it take heat from your core temp to warm it then your breath it out and it starts agen, You really cant stop it but if you breath through your nose you take in less air and it is warmed by your nose itself seduceing the amount of heat taken from your core temp
Persperation, you sweat it it cools and takes heat away from you, take clothes off when it gets warmer so that you dont overheat

3. Knife
Firestarting Equipment
Map
Compass
Extra Clothing

4. Lonelyness
Boredom
Fear, Panic
Stress
Hunger, Thirst
Enviroment
Fatigue

Its 3:48 here at the moment so dont Pleaseeee dont be too harsh

Sarge47
12-22-2007, 12:47 AM
1. 3 Minutes Without Air
3 Hours Without Shelter
3 Days Without Water
3 Weeks Without Food

2. Conduction, When heat is transfered from a hot object to a cold one, Wear clothing around all skin that you will be handeling cold objects with
Convection, When air takes heat from you, Wrap up well and layer your clothing, Wear a hat,cloves and cover exposed skin
Radiation,When heat leaves your body and travels up, Agen wear proper clothing and if possibel put something insulating over you like a poncho or other shelter roof (<--- Not to sure about that one)
Evapouration, Heat lost by being taken by cold moisture, like when your wet, Properly layer your clothing so that you can take some off in the warm times and put the heaveyer stuff on when its cold, Bring spare clothing in case your current set gets wet
Respiration, When you lose heat throught your breath, You take cold air in and it take heat from your core temp to warm it then your breath it out and it starts agen, You really cant stop it but if you breath through your nose you take in less air and it is warmed by your nose itself seduceing the amount of heat taken from your core temp
Persperation, you sweat it it cools and takes heat away from you, take clothes off when it gets warmer so that you dont overheat

3. Knife
Firestarting Equipment
Map
Compass
Extra Clothing

4. Lonelyness
Boredom
Fear, Panic
Stress
Hunger, Thirst
Enviroment
Fatigue

Its 3:48 here at the moment so dont Pleaseeee dont be too harsh

OK, I said forget #1, you're waaay off on #3, and you missed a few on #4. Wanna try again?:confused:

Rick
12-22-2007, 12:52 AM
3. Shelter, Sustenance, Sanitation and Security
4. Fear and Anxiety, Cold and Heat, Thirst, Boredom and Loneliness, Fatigue, Hunger, Pain and Injury

Sarge47
12-22-2007, 01:25 AM
3. Shelter, Sustenance, Sanitation and Security
4. Fear and Anxiety, Cold and Heat, Thirst, Boredom and Loneliness, Fatigue, Hunger, Pain and Injury

#4 is "right on"! #3 still needs work! Here's the answer:
1.) Shelter.
2.) Fire.
3.) Water.
4.) Food.

You & your situation will govern the priorties of each, but this is the way I priortize the list under most circumstances. If it's getting close to sunset you might make the fire your #1 priority.:cool:

Rick
12-22-2007, 01:32 AM
Wolf Pack!? I laugh at your scrawny timid little wolves trying to survive in the wild. I am the great Pierre!

http://internetservices.readingeagle.com/blog/paws/archives/ugliest-dog-3.jpg

Sarge47
12-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Wolf Pack!? I laugh at your scrawny timid little wolves trying to survive in the wild. I am the great Pierre!

http://internetservices.readingeagle.com/blog/paws/archives/ugliest-dog-3.jpg

You look good! I see that Rick's been using your dog-food as "Survival Rations" again.:rolleyes:

Rick
12-22-2007, 01:48 AM
I don't need no stinking shelter, no fire, no water and I eat wolves for food!!!!!!!!!!

Ain't that the ugliest pooch you ever saw? A guy would have to apologize before he got out of bed in the morning if he were that ugly.

Sarge47
12-22-2007, 02:08 AM
I don't need no stinking shelter, no fire, no water and I eat wolves for food!!!!!!!!!!

Ain't that the ugliest pooch you ever saw? A guy would have to apologize before he got out of bed in the morning if he were that ugly.

Just took my family to see "I am Legend" today; that dog reminds me of several from the film. :eek: BTW, great "Survival" flick.:cool: