PDA

View Full Version : Survival kits info.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

rubybeetle
02-12-2007, 07:50 PM
I came across this site, it lists things you should have in a survival kit. :)

http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html

thinkfree3
02-14-2007, 11:32 PM
I recommend getting books on how to identify plants that you can use for food or medicine to add to your survival kit. Also i recommend practicing skills often

arppt01
02-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the link. This will give us a guidance on the should have list. Sometimes it becomes difficult to pick up which are the most important ones to keep in a kit.

tater03
02-19-2007, 04:05 PM
I agree with you it is hard to pick what you should have in an emergency kit. I would constantly be adding things that I think I might need not always stuff that I would need for sure. Thanks for the link it was informative.

rubybeetle
02-19-2007, 10:56 PM
I recommend getting books on how to identify plants that you can use for food or medicine to add to your survival kit. Also i recommend practicing skills often

Thanks for the great tip. I only have basic knowledge, like finding water in cactus. :eek:

the edge
02-19-2007, 11:19 PM
thanks for linking things i learned new things to add

LarryB
03-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi there Rubybeetle, thanx for the link. :) While reading through the threads here, I got the impression that most folks in here DO NOT have a survival kit already. Tell me I'm wrong peeps.:confused: We ALL need at least ONE Survival Kit, if we are going to be spending much time in here friends...I have a few...all hand picked components and hand packed by little ol' me. :)

Who else in here has a SK already?:)

lb

wishbone
03-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Larry B, I'm pretty much a survival kit junkle. Anything I can do or invent to improve my kit/s. Let us know what you have.

wishbone

Guardian
03-15-2007, 07:30 PM
I would need a survival van. I am constantly adding to my survival kit. The Big One will happen sooner or later. Earthquake that is. I am from Cali Woo Hoo!!!

the edge
03-25-2007, 11:38 PM
i add books on how to identify things

rugby_nut
03-29-2007, 01:11 PM
i only really need 1 for round here it has da bear minimum in it because i h8 2 carry stuff lol

the edge
03-29-2007, 10:26 PM
i think this thing is a helograph and its used to reflect of sun and the light near a pilot in a plane so theyt would know someone is in a emergency

survival scout
04-16-2007, 08:00 PM
In my opinion you should never do anything without knowing what your doing and without experience. One of the best sites I found for survival kits is from http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/article/0,13355,1225788,00.html
but these things will only help if you know how to use them. Hopefully you know enough to use the buddy system (never camp/hike alone) and tell someone who, what, where,when,ect... these things could very well save your life

WildGoth
04-27-2007, 04:06 PM
it looks like a nice kit

LarryB
04-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey there SurvivalScout! I like your take on using Survival kits. :cool: You HAVE to take the darn things out in the bush and test them out. You HAVE to practice using the stuff in those kits. Trust me, just because you have some hooks and fishing line in your kit, don't assume it's easy turning that into fresh food! Just for fun, ask some of the guys that love fishing if they catch fish all the time, even with their fancy and high-tech gear? :D Will that little pack of salt help you when you're needing nutrition? Can that dinky little Xacto blade or razor blade in there, actually do anything bush related, when you need a blade?

Everything in your kit should be tested and used by you, personally and either in there because it works or out of there because, for you it doesn't work well enough. There have been SO many advancements made in this area in the last few decades, that a person can put together a VERY powerful little Survival Kit, without breaking the bank these days. That, along with the real knowledge of how to use it, will instill a pile of confidence, even in the shyer types of survivors out there. Being positive and confident, in life, is your ace in the hole, your hidden magic, that will keep you alive where others of lesser metal would perish from depression and anguish and fear and stupidity or the cold, long before hunger took them...

Thanx for posting this SS, and for reminding all of us to get out there even more often, and practice our skills even more than before. Life is short.:( Let's do stuff we really like, more often than we did before even...:)

lb

WildGoth
05-19-2007, 08:50 PM
i have a sk already just need to put together lol and find a kit to hold it in

Mya Uzo
05-21-2007, 03:44 PM
what really ticks me off is when I am reading a book that identifies plant but it doesnt have pictures...I need pictures or I might eat water hemlock or something

marberry
05-30-2007, 04:43 PM
lol im a survival junky 2 :D i have a friend drive me to a random place in the wilderness blindfolded and he comes back to pick me up in 2 weeks - 6 weeks. its Rly Rly fun and a great way to test your skills iv gone 3 times so far im still alive lol.

marberry
05-30-2007, 05:59 PM
lol what i bring is a lil eccentric because im a survival junkie but here it is anyway

i use a 60L Woods Backpack to haul all my stuff, complete inventory is

A Outbound Banff Mummy sleeping bag Rated at -18 C (3LB's)

a two person hvy duty dome tent

speacial Edition Leatherman Wave (titanium tools)

Leatherman micra (size of a school eraser) (awsome first aid tool)

One of the earlier nameless leathermans

1 copy of 'Camping & Wilderness survival' by Paul Tawrell , the best wilderness survival book i have ever read i highly recomend it

Full Metal Welder's boots with extrme traction (THE BEST footware i have ever tried)

1 set of colemen rain cloths (jacket and pants)

a 4lb hatchet

a machete

500 wood strike anywhere matches

60 feet of rope (3 braided 550x7's) (breaks at 1200 lbs)

Zippo lighter with fluid refills

1 emergency fanny pack contains
- 2 thick rain poncho's
- 6x6 ft heat wrap
- 10 feet hevy duty cord
- 2 whistles
- 2 compasses
- tweezers

1 military issue folding shovel

1 high quality mapping compass

map pack with topographical maps of Manitoba , North Dakota , Minnesota, Saskatuan, and west Ontario

1 emergency 20 hour candle

1 first aid kit contains :
- 10 foot water proof adhesive tape roll
- various antibiotics including :
- Benzalkonium Chloride
- Methylparaben
- Ammonia pads
- isopropyl alcohol
- Iodophor pvp ointment
- iodine
- titratable
(most of these are only legally attainable - from a hospital or certified doctor)
- heavy duty bandages
- cold pack
- syringe
- anticeptics
- painkillers
- eye pad

flagging tape

waterproof match case with flint

5 rolls of snare wire

60 foot roll of strong 1/3 cm thick cord

60 foot roll of strong twine

6 footlong steel stakes

5 feet of strong fabric elastic 1cm thick (used as shock cord)

1 slingshot

250 emergency slingshot bb's

1 12x12 foot heavy duty tarp

waterproof back pack bag

1 buck folding knife

1 gerber folding knife

1 set of binoculars

1 high velocity pellet rifle (more powerfull then a .22)

500 hunting pellets for rifle

1 hand fishing set.

3 heavy duty garbage bags

1 large roll heavy duty ducktape

fingerless gloves

high quality authentic leather 'cowboy' style hat (wide brim great for when its raining)

2 sets of glasses and 1 set of contact lenses

1 set of heavy duty cloths

1 set of light summer cloths

Swimming trunks (wet suit if im planning on boating)

1 tube of superglue ( the rly rly rly powerfull kind )

2 sharpening stones

1 bottle of my emergency fire starter ( alot like napalm )

1 large fishing net (i know im screwed if im caught using it)

1 large bug net

insect repellant

one poison (stricknine, nicotine, arsenic,) dart in a metal box (incase i need to kill a grizzly

web belts in case i need to store things closer at hand

flaregun w/ 3 flares

flashlight (the dyno something kind , you squeze it and it lights up)

if im going in a boat i have another set that stays on the boat (2 heavy to carry)

1lb of jerky

enough pemmican to survive a month

water purification system

3 litres of fresh , (chemicals put in to make it more healthy) water

wool socks

tin cup

1 bottle of kerosene (incase i need lotsa flame from my lighter)

marberry
05-30-2007, 09:50 PM
heres my survival kit with it i can survive for a month without catching any game

1 copy of 'Camping & Wilderness survival' by Paul Tawrell , the best wilderness survival book i have ever read i highly recomend it

Full Metal Welder's boots with extrme traction (THE BEST footware i have ever tried)

a 4lb hatchet

a machete

- 2 thick rain poncho's
- 6x6 ft heat wrap
- 10 feet hevy duty cord
- 2 whistles
- 2 compasses
- tweezers

map pack with topographical maps of Manitoba , North Dakota , Minnesota, Saskatuan, and west Ontario

- Benzalkonium Chloride
- Methylparaben
- Ammonia pads
- isopropyl alcohol
- Iodophor pvp ointment
- iodine
- titratable
(most of these are only legally attainable - from a hospital or certified doctor)
- heavy duty bandages
- cold pack
- syringe
- anticeptics
- painkillers
- eye pad

flagging tape

5 rolls of snare wire

6 footlong steel stakes

1 slingshot

waterproof back pack bag

1 buck folding knife

1 gerber folding knife

1 set of binoculars

1 hand fishing set.

fingerless gloves

high quality authentic leather 'cowboy' style hat (wide brim great for when its raining)

2 sharpening stones

1 large bug net

insect repellant

one poison (stricknine, nicotine, arsenic,) dart in a metal box (incase i need to kill a grizzly

flaregun w/ 3 flares

if im going in a boat i have another set that stays on the boat (2 heavy to carry)

1lb of jerky

wool socks

tin cup

mbarnatl
06-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Have you read the book "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" by John D. McCann? He shows how to make several types of survival kits. Personal to vehicle. As I have found out that everyone survival kits will vary, but have the same basics essentials in it. The main thing is you know how use them before an emergency. Practice and test all of the items for ease of usage and reliability.
I carry on me the Adventure Medical Kits Pocket Survival Pak ...it's 3.9 oz. I also found out testing the pak that I needed to add a few things. A great kit for under $30.

mbarnatl
06-24-2007, 09:52 AM
1 copy of 'Camping & Wilderness survival' by Paul Tawrell
I carry that book in my fanny pack kit and home kit. I also think this is the best survival book. The second edition is updated and a better size to carry.

Also, this book has several lists for survival kits in it.

nell67
06-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I havent read it,but definately sounds like a good investment,I will looking it up now! Thanks!

Tony uk
06-24-2007, 05:49 PM
this is the kit i use --- (http://www.survival-gear.com/wildernesssurvivalkit.htm)

Its got more than i need and is cheap to get really

mbarnatl
06-24-2007, 08:50 PM
this is the kit i use --- (http://www.survival-gear.com/wildernesssurvivalkit.htm)

Its got more than i need and is cheap to get really

I built my one kit around that one. I made it a 1 person 5 day kit though. Several times I had to last four or five days without necessities because of hurricanes or ice storms. The same site gave me the idea for my fanny pack (http://www.survival-gear.com/fannypack-survival-kit.htm) as well.

mbarnatl
06-24-2007, 09:02 PM
I would need a survival van. I am constantly adding to my survival kit. The Big One will happen sooner or later. Earthquake that is. I am from Cali Woo Hoo!!!

How about this Survival Vehicle (http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/07march/campa.asp)?

"The modular design of the Campa EVS easily transfers to other truck makes and models. It is designed for new vehicles and is a completely self-contained survival system. Options include a fridge/freezer, hot water shower, sleeping quarters for four people, 17 gallon water tank, water purification, fully fitted oak kitchen unit, protective cases, GPS, a mobile communication system, and many more necessary extreme survival components."

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/07march/campausa1.jpg

Here is the main site for Campa USA (http://www.campausa.com/)

:D I want one... the ATT & DRS are pretty neat also!

marberry
06-25-2007, 11:21 AM
i wonder how much that thing costs lol

Tony uk
06-25-2007, 05:40 PM
I have a pocket survival kit also in my jacket but i never seem to use it anymore

I was thinking of getting one of the 2 Persons Bucket Kits (http://www.survival-gear.com/emergency-home-kit.htm)they sell there and keeping it around the house

ATough
06-30-2007, 12:40 PM
I want one of those bucket kits.

marberry
07-01-2007, 07:31 PM
yea hpaul tawrells book is by far the best survival book i have evr read. i love the survival shelters it tells you how to make, iv used most of the easier ones atone time or another. and the snow cave it devotes 2 pages to is the best winter shelter you can make in an hour by far.

Sarge47
07-08-2007, 12:18 AM
I carry that book in my fanny pack kit and home kit. I also think this is the best survival book. The second edition is updated and a better size to carry.

Also, this book has several lists for survival kits in it.

I have that book also. Some shops carry it that supply the Boy Scouts in place of the "now lame" Field Book". I also have, in addition to John McCann's book one of the best books on survival ever printed: "98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your *** Alive!" by Cody Lundin. Check it out

Sarge47
07-08-2007, 02:06 AM
I love this list! I hope you don't mind but I've inserted a few comments throughout! SG.

heres my survival kit with it i can survive for a month without catching any game

1 set of colemen rain cloths (jacket and pants)I use the Military Gore-Tex parka and pants.

a 4lb hatchet I use the backpacker hatchet made by Buck Knives; it wieghs 1 1/2 lbs.

a machete

500 wood strike anywhere matches GREAT!
60 feet of rope (3 braided 550x7's) (breaks at 1200 lbs) RIGHT ON!

- 2 thick rain poncho's I USE THE MILITARY PONCHO
- 6x6 ft heat wrap
- 10 feet hevy duty cord
- 2 whistles
- 2 compasses
- tweezers

1 high quality mapping compass MY FAVORITE IS THE SILVA RANGER

- Benzalkonium Chloride
- Methylparaben
- Ammonia pads
- isopropyl alcohol
- Iodophor pvp ointment
- iodine
- titratable
- heavy duty bandages
- cold pack
- syringe
- anticeptics
- painkillers
- eye pad

flagging tape

5 rolls of snare wire

6 footlong steel stakes

1 slingshot

waterproof back pack bag

1 buck folding knife I HAVE ONE THAT HAS A SMALL LED LIGHT BUILT INTO THE HANDLE!

1 gerber folding knife

1 set of binoculars

1 high velocity pellet rifle (more powerfull then a .22) THIS FACINATES ME, I'D LIKE MORE INFO ON THE RIFLE!

1 hand fishing set.

3 heavy duty garbage bags I USE THE 55 GALLON DRUMLINERS.

1 large roll heavy duty ducktape yOU KNOW YOUR STUFF!

fingerless gloves

2 sharpening stones

1 large bug net

insect repellant

flaregun w/ 3 flares

1lb of jerky

wool socks

tin cup

Sarge47
07-08-2007, 02:18 AM
In my opinion you should never do anything without knowing what your doing and without experience. One of the best sites I found for survival kits is from http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/article/0,13355,1225788,00.html
but these things will only help if you know how to use them. Hopefully you know enough to use the buddy system (never camp/hike alone) and tell someone who, what, where,when,ect... these things could very well save your life

Right On! You too Larry B.! Here's a couple of questions I love to ask people: Have you ever took your fire-starting stuff out in the woods and started a SAFE fire? How about trying in a downpour? Have you ever hunted small game? Do you know how to properly skin, gut, & cook the game you might catch? Have you ever set up a figure four trigger snare in the woods and actually caught something? What if your snare only captures the animal but doesn't kill it? Are you prepared to kill it by hand? It's easy to sit in your easy chair in the comfort of your home watching survival stuff on the boob tube or reading about it in books, but to properly prepare you need to do as well as study!

Sarge47
07-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi Marcraft: In the immortal words of Western writer Louis L'amour you sound like one to "ride the river with". You definately have me curious about the pellet rifle, could you give some more facts about who what & where? Meanwhile here's the skinny on some of the items in my survival kit.

I believe in making my own kits as I prefer a much better quality product than most manufacturers put inside those cheap little kits. I also carry essential items in my pockets, on my belt, in a fanny pack, and so on. Survival prepardness means factoring in "Murphy's Law", so I consider the possibility of being separated from my gear. Starting out on your survival kit drive on over to your local hardware store and pick up the following items:

A large roll of really strong duct tape. (I use "Gorilla Tape".)

A box of 55 gallon trash can liners as close to 4 mil thickness as you can get, if you can find them in bright orange like the road construction crews use, so much the better.

A roll of 4 mil strength plastic sheeting to make a good tarp or tube tent, the commercial variety tube tent is better than nothing, but doesn't hold up to the elements as well.

Now your going to have to head on over to a good Army surplus store or go to one of the company's on line that sell real parachute cord, otherwise known as "550 cord"; get at least a hundred feet. I bought a 1000' roll from "Cheaper Than Dirt" for about $40, this stuff is strong, beware of the so called "para-cord" as it's nothing more than a cheap imitation.

As for knives I carry both fixed blade (When out in the field) along with one or more folding types depending on where I'm going.

I picked up a really good military type signalling mirror for about $10 from Majors Surplus & Survival. This is the bigger one than the "starflash" which I also have.

Fox 40 whistle

Several compasses, the best is the Silva Ranger which can cost from $50 to $60.

My rainsuit is the military Gore-Tex parka & Pants that I purchased used from my local surplus store for about $40, I used to use a Coleman suit but got soaked to the skin in a down-pour.

A real U.S. Army poncho with grommets so it can be constructed as an emergency shelter.

This is all for now, if anyone's interested in more let me know.

nell67
07-08-2007, 05:23 PM
What else do you carry that can do "double duty" like the poncho you mentioned? I feel the more an item can do the better and the less you absolutely have to carry.

FVR
07-08-2007, 06:14 PM
One thing I'd like to pick up is an old E tool.

They are a fold up shovel that works as a shovel, hoe, an ax, saw, and crude machette. There are alot of el cheapo's out there, need to get a mil. issue somewhere.

Oh yeah, and they make one hell of a hand to hand weapon.

Sarge47
07-08-2007, 06:21 PM
What else do you carry that can do "double duty" like the poncho you mentioned? I feel the more an item can do the better and the less you absolutely have to carry.

One thing I just picked up awhile back is a "Buck Whitaker" folding knife. My kid brother likes to climb mountains and he'd picked one up simply because of the built-in flashlight on the handle. It has a 3-position switch and you can even switch it on like a flashing strobe light. The steel end of the handle has an opening big enough to hang it from a carbiner ring from, say, the strap of a backpack. It can be opened one-handed with either the left or the right hand.

However, both the heavy-duty trash bags as well as the duct-tape have many uses. Backpacker magazine listed over a hundred uses for duct tape in one of their past issues, as well as a dozen for Large, heavy-duty trash bags. You could probably visit "backpacker.com" & track down those articles.

Finally, the 550 cord (parachute cord) also has a multitude of uses. Survival Expert, Cody Lundin, writes about how "cordage" being a number one nesessity in his book: "98.6 Degrees: The art of keeping your *** alive". Likewise, John D. McCann, says basically the same thing in his book: "Build the Perfect Survival Kit."

FVR
07-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Duct tape and heavy duty (55gal) trashbags are priceless.

Where I work, it takes me to many places that have urban outdoorsman (homeless). I have donated the above trashbags and duct tape out in the worst weather.

Few things we never went on patrol without, kabar, poncho, and our rope. Usually we carried two kinds of rope, one was a 10 foot section of rapelling rope, the other was about 50 feet of 550.

Sarge47
07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Duct tape and heavy duty (55gal) trashbags are priceless.

Where I work, it takes me to many places that have urban outdoorsman (homeless). I have donated the above trashbags and duct tape out in the worst weather.

Few things we never went on patrol without, kabar, poncho, and our rope. Usually we carried two kinds of rope, one was a 10 foot section of rapelling rope, the other was about 50 feet of 550.

I have the USMC Ka-Bar, it has shown to be a top quality knife!

Sarge47
07-08-2007, 08:50 PM

I also have a number of the top quality Space Blankets, called the "All-Weather Sportsmans Blanket". They are reflective on one side and colored on the other. The corners have grommets so you can pitch the blanket in a number of differant ways. Also the folding Buck is called the Lumina LED, #777 BL.

Sarge47
07-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Here's an interesting bit of data about Bear Grylls. On his show he claims that his survival gear only consists of a water bottle, knife, and sometimes a flint. what he says afterward (discovery.com/manvswild, "meet Bear") is that his water bottle is a Nato canteen complete with cup that acts as a cooking pot. He also has fashioned a carrying strap out of para cord using a "Daisy chain knot" that allows more cordage in less space. Finally, he's usually always wearing a watch, which, as any good outdoorsman knows, can be used to tell North & South...even if it's digital! Not quite as sparse a kit as you might think!

paul vs wild
07-08-2007, 11:51 PM
lol what i bring is a lil eccentric because im a survival junkie but here it is anyway

a 4lb hatchet

a machete

- 2 thick rain poncho's
- 6x6 ft heat wrap
- 10 feet hevy duty cord
- 2 whistles
- 2 compasses
- tweezers

- Benzalkonium Chloride
- Methylparaben
- Ammonia pads
- isopropyl alcohol
- Iodophor pvp ointment
- iodine
- titratable
- heavy duty bandages
- cold pack
- syringe
- anticeptics
- painkillers
- eye pad

flagging tape

5 rolls of snare wire

6 footlong steel stakes

1 slingshot

waterproof back pack bag

1 buck folding knife

1 gerber folding knife

1 set of binoculars

1 hand fishing set.

fingerless gloves

2 sharpening stones

1 large bug net

insect repellant

flaregun w/ 3 flares

1lb of jerky

wool socks

tin cup

Its a survival kit the point is that you dont want to carry around everything under the sun

Sarge47
07-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Its a survival kit the point is that you dont want to carry around everything under the sun

Right on, Paul; however I must confess that I too am a "gear-head". I'd take along the kitchen sink if I could figure out how to get the durned thing in my pack! ;>) I'm always afraid that what I have will break, or get lost so I carry a lot of crap in my vehicle. I scale it down on my person though.

paul vs wild
07-10-2007, 12:00 PM
bringing the essential items is vital to survive under survival conditions whether its a knife and a flint or an aviators survival kit

Atlanta Randy
07-13-2007, 08:48 PM
This is my list:
2 Razorknife Blades
1 White light, Photon
1 Spark-Lite Firestarter Flint
8 Spark-Lite "Fire Tab" Tinders
6 Windproof/Waterproof NATO Lifeboat Matches and Striker
1 "Thunder" whistle
1 "Standard" Wire Blade Survival Saw
1 Fishing Kit: 8 hooks, 2 swivels, 6 split shot, 25 ft. 20 lb. line,, 4 leaders 1 extra
large hook (gaff)
20 ft. Wire
1 Therma-lite blanket
1 Brunton 15MM Button Compass
4 Adhesive Bandages, 1 x 3 in.
2 Adhesive Bandages, 2 in.
2 Antibiotic Packets*
6 Wound Closure Strips, 1/4" x 2"
2 Burn Gel Packets
6 Vicodin ES Tabs* (pain killer, prescription required)
4 Chicken & Beef broth packets, 4 "Nutro-cube" 1500 cal. 100% RDA food cubes.
2 "Potable-Aqua" Iodine Water Disinfectant Tabs in sealed container, total of 46
tablets*
2 Air Force Mylar water bags (5 x 8 in.)
20 ft. 550# Mil Spec. Parachute Cord
6 ft. Duct Tape (folded, paper backing)
2 Large Sewing Needles
1 Leatherman Micra
4 Safety Pins, #1 and #2
1 Titanium, 1 = cup, pot with lid (used as a container for the kit)
1 thin pencil
3 "Rite in the Rain" paper, 3 x 5 in. sheets

All of this fits into a small zippered, waterproof pouch with a belt loop and shoulder string.

I made this myself, it is not sold by any company.
It's a little shorter than a Coke can and about the same width.

FVR
07-13-2007, 11:49 PM
I'm a primitive guy and here is what I carry in the woods for a weekend trek.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/Bag1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/Bag2.jpg

Left to right;

Tin cup for boiling water.

T bags and 4 beef buillon.

Wire saw.

Guitar string.

Three steel trade points wrapped in buckskin with imm. sinew.

Good quantity of strong twine.

Magnifying glass.

Steel flint knife, super sharp and the back is used as a striker. Blade is also very shiny for use as a signal flasher.

A large flint striker.

Altoid can with tiny hole in top for making charcloth. Inside is a good qty of fresh charcloth, two pieces of buckskin, and a good size piece of flint.

A large piece of flint that I've knapped into a slightly larger than a palm tool. Will be used for making fires, skinning hogs, or any other misc. duties.

The deer tine on the flap can also be used for knapping points.

I also carry a sheath knife, a little bottle of superglue, and either a mil. canteen or this bota bottle that I've had forever.

mbarnatl
07-15-2007, 05:54 PM
... one of the best books on survival ever printed: "98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your *** Alive!" by Cody Lundin. Check it out

I got this book yesterday. Awesome book! Only the second book I have read that made a point to make your equipment visible by using yellow or orange tape. Thanks for the letting me know about this one!

Tony uk
07-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Ive seen that book but i never thought it would be that good in the end :(

Sarge47
07-15-2007, 07:58 PM
I got this book yesterday. Awesome book! Only the second book I have read that made a point to make your equipment visible by using yellow or orange tape. Thanks for the letting me know about this one!

Not a problem, what was the title of the other book?

WildGoth
07-16-2007, 11:36 PM
im looking for a new survival pack i have a camo backpack but i think i need a new one so do you have any ideas plz include pics and also and tools or items that may be useful plzzz help :confused:

Sarge47
07-17-2007, 12:17 AM
im looking for a new survival pack i have a camo backpack but i think i need a new one so do you have any ideas plz include pics and also and tools or items that may be useful plzzz help :confused:

The problem here is what your going to be doing, where you're going to be, & what's the weather going to be like. I would say, generally speaking, a very good quality pack if you're going out into the woods. One of the best "day packs" for the money is the L.L. Bean Bigelow Day pack. It's up to about $70.00 right now, but has features as packs costing twice to three times as much. Backpacker Magazine made it their "Editor's Choice" for 2006. You need at least 100 feet of real parachute cord, a large roll of duct tape, Four 55 gal. trash bags as close to 4 mil. as possible, a couple of bandanas, One or more knives of your choice, I'd also include a good-quality multi-tool, good-quality sunglasses, a top-notch compass, a topo map of the area your going into, Rain protection, proper clothing, A tarp, bivy sack, or tent, A top-notch water bottle or two, A couple of pink lady candles, signal mirror, matches, lighter, flint & steel or magnesium flint stick (Wal-mart has them), & a really loud whistle. Better yet, buy the pack and get John D. McCann's Book :Build the perfect survival kit. Add Cody Lunden's book: "98.6 Degrees, or the Art Of Keeping Your A*s alive." (I got my copies at a great price from Amazon.) Let's face it Wild Man, Survival isn't an extreme sport, it's literally life or death. You need to do your homework. That means study and read everything you can lay your hands on regarding the subject. Start your own survival library. I viewed your profile and I know how old you are, so, no offense intended, consider joining the Boy Scouts in your area. They're really under-rated for what they can teach you. Sorry if this is too long, but the question you asked is not that easy to answer. Did I leave anything out guys?

WildGoth
07-17-2007, 02:42 AM
thanks for the advice really good i will check out the books and the other tips

Sarge47
07-17-2007, 03:02 AM
thanks for the advice really good i will check out the books and the other tips

Don't forget a 1st aid kit and the website for L.L. Bean is www.llbean.com. type in item #ke47369 to bring up the day packs in a choice of colors and either a top-load or panel-load pack.

mbarnatl
07-17-2007, 06:56 PM
The two books Sarge47 mentioned are really good books to learn about making your first kit. Also the DVD "PREPARED TO SURVIVE" has really good advice on building kits.

Sarge47
07-17-2007, 07:11 PM
The two books Sarge47 mentioned are really good books to learn about making your first kit. Also the DVD "PREPARED TO SURVIVE" has really good advice on building kits.

Who puts out that DVD?

mbarnatl
07-17-2007, 09:07 PM
http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/

mbarnatl
07-17-2007, 09:22 PM
@WildGoth, here (http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/survival_kit.html) is the quick link from the DVD on "CREATING A SURVIVAL KIT". It is a good starting point

Rocky789
07-17-2007, 10:42 PM
One of the biggest things is get to know the area you live in, I started teaching myself by making leantos in my backyard and eating the wild plants there as well and from there I moved on. You really have to be familiar with what is there, in order to be able to use it all because at certain times that really is all that you have. If you dont have even some training in outdoors skills get some training from whatever you can like sarge said.
But really in a worst case scenario you have to be prepared with what might happen if you dont have anything and even worse if you are injured, that is a true worst case survival scenario. Ive been fortunate enough to never been in one myself but Im sure if I ever did have to face one I have a really good chance of coming out of it alive because of how much ive learned.

survival scout
07-31-2007, 11:29 AM
I was looking at some of the pre made survival kits that someone can buy (even thought I think it is better to make your own) and i saw a pencil in some what survival purpose dose it have??? seems like they would only put things in there that would only help you survive and the only thing I could come up with was strickly for mental reasons

while im here I have been wondering about the age of the people here

trax
07-31-2007, 12:04 PM
years old, and the pencil of course if in case you're ever trapped inside a crossword publishers and have to wait until morning for someone to let you out. That was just a guess, lmao.:D

Go Wolfpack!

Sarge47
07-31-2007, 12:33 PM
I was looking at some of the pre made survival kits that someone can buy (even thought I think it is better to make your own) and i saw a pencil in some what survival purpose dose it have??? seems like they would only put things in there that would only help you survive and the only thing I could come up with was strickly for mental reasons

while im here I have been wondering about the age of the people here

Okay Dawg, I'm 60. But my wife'll give you odds on that as she claims I've never "grown-up". Guess I'm maxed out on "Peter-Pan Syndrome". My music choices give my peers headaches, but like we always say, if it's too loud yer too old! The pencil should be included in all survival kits along with some paper. (I recommend "Rite-in-the -Rain") This can help you draw a map of your present position in case you want to strike out a bit in either direction but be able also to find your way back. You could also leave a note of where you're heading in case a search party comes up behind you. And finally, if you shaved it down with your knife it would make great "emergency" tinder.:D
Maybe RickSAR has more on this, or any other wolves here.

ZTGuy
08-03-2007, 01:39 AM
Hey there SurvivalScout! I like your take on using Survival kits. :cool: You HAVE to take the darn things out in the bush and test them out. You HAVE to practice using the stuff in those kits. Trust me, just because you have some hooks and fishing line in your kit, don't assume it's easy turning that into fresh food! Just for fun, ask some of the guys that love fishing if they catch fish all the time, even with their fancy and high-tech gear? :D Will that little pack of salt help you when you're needing nutrition? Can that dinky little Xacto blade or razor blade in there, actually do anything bush related, when you need a blade?

Everything in your kit should be tested and used by you, personally and either in there because it works or out of there because, for you it doesn't work well enough. There have been SO many advancements made in this area in the last few decades, that a person can put together a VERY powerful little Survival Kit, without breaking the bank these days. That, along with the real knowledge of how to use it, will instill a pile of confidence, even in the shyer types of survivors out there. Being positive and confident, in life, is your ace in the hole, your hidden magic, that will keep you alive where others of lesser metal would perish from depression and anguish and fear and stupidity or the cold, long before hunger took them...

Thanx for posting this SS, and for reminding all of us to get out there even more often, and practice our skills even more than before. Life is short.:( Let's do stuff we really like, more often than we did before even...:)

lb

Amen, brother!!! Very well stated.

wareagle69
08-06-2007, 09:16 AM
vilwest are you insinuating that fire is higher on the priority list than shelter?

wareagle69
08-06-2007, 01:42 PM
i don't think so shelter is always #1
if you had a fire and no shelter what is going to protect you and the fire from the elements

FrankyFourFingers
08-06-2007, 03:22 PM
I always bring duct tape. It can do anything. Make arrow flights, temporarily patch up blisters, help tie a raft ( or shelter), fix clothing and shoes. Obviously this is not the most important thing (it is not more important than a knife or flint) but it might be the most versitile thing you can carry. I usually re-roll the tape on a ball point pen or pencil to make it more compact to carry. If you bring your wife along ( my wife will occasionally make it on a camping trip or two), it can also be used as a noise reducer if you place it correctly across her lips ; ).

FVR
08-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Fire = life.

I will prep. for a fire before bldg. a shelter. Nothing worse than a nice shelter, with no fire for warmth.

But then I do my trekking in the winter months. And anyway, if you have a wool blanket and a piece of canvas, your shelter is just a wrap away.

Wool blankets are a wonderful thing.

spiritman
08-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Fire=shelter. what does a shelter do? what does a fire do? when you list off what each does for you the list will match with the exception of stop precipitation so put it under a tree which i guess is a simple shelter but is not always necessary. fire + tree = shelterus personalis beneficious maximus

owl_girl
08-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Fire=shelter. what does a shelter do? what does a fire do? when you list off what each does for you the list will match with the exception of stop precipitation so put it under a tree which i guess is a simple shelter but is not always necessary. fire + tree = shelterus personalis beneficious maximus
Or fire + tree = really really big fire!

Sarge47
08-08-2007, 09:52 AM

What if your in an area where there are no trees, and building a fire is out of the question, like in the artic, desert, above tree line in the mountains, or at sea?:confused:

trax
08-08-2007, 12:27 PM
What if your in an area where there are no trees, and building a fire is out of the question, like in the artic, desert, above tree line in the mountains, or at sea?:confused:

Also, if you build your fire in a place where you are still largely exposed and the overall temperature is quite cold, that fire is going to be pulling cold air in from behind you, any kind of shelter is better than that, even if you're just keeping your back covered from the wind.

WildGoth
08-19-2007, 03:32 AM
i've trying to make a good survival kit here is the list of items that i can think of off the top of my head

1 buck fixed partially serrated knife
1 normal bladed knife
6 glow sticks
1 medical kit bandages,ontiment etc
1 hatchet
1 saw
1 survival thermal blanket
1 muti-tool
50 feet of nolyon cordage
1 whistle
2 signaling mirror
2 compasses

that is all i can think of

wareagle69
08-19-2007, 08:38 AM
i would double the para cord. drop to only one signal mirror and only one quality compass. my compass is attached to a lanyard which is always afixed to me, so not much chance of losing, but would aslo suggest a topo map of where you are going. now if this is a survival kit that would mean you are using it in a survival scenario i would not be travelling anyhow(unless staying put meant certain death) i would be waiting for ricsar to come rescue me.

Sarge47
08-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Like WE69 I'd double the para-cord and lose one of the mirrors. You have both a hatchet and a saw but nothing to start a fire with. I like flint & steel as it also works in any conditions at any time. Add some water-proof matches in a match safe and a candle, it has many uses. 2 or 3 trash bags would also be good. You should also have a large square of aluminum foil and a water container like a Nalgene water bottle or a military canteen with a canteen cup as the cup can be used as a cooking pot. Unless you've studied on how to use a compass and have a pretty good idea what lies around you even one compass isn't any good, however you only need one good quality compass along with a good topographical map. You also need to learn how to use them, otherwise why carry them? Remember, your most important item of survival is your mind and what you put into it! If you already have the knives you listed that's cool, but if not I would make one of them a folder. Now go buy yourself a good swiss army knife. Your local Target store should carry an assortment of the Victorinox brand,if you can't find one there consider also Wenger, but I wouldn't waste money on any of the others. The last two items are important: A poncho or rain coat and a tarp. The MPI All weather Sportsman's blanket, which is the original space blanket by the way, can also be used as a tarp. They range in price up to about $15. I like the one with the bright orange on one side but if your into camo Major's Surplus 'n Survival carries them in od. Hope that helps, I thought we did this already on another thread.:confused:

robneville73
08-19-2007, 07:06 PM
I might consolidate the fixed-blade knives and hatchet into a single, large Kukri as it will serve well in all of those capacities.

Ditch the glow sticks in favor of one of those keychain LEDs, just make sure it's one with a switch so that it says on, not one you have to hold down to keep it on.

I might leave the bandages and instead wrap duct tape around something in your kit. It has a million uses and can be used (with something as the actual dressing) as a bandage as well.

I'd keep both compasses, just in case and it's always reassuring when two of them point the same way - as long as they're small enough.

I agree with the others, more para cord. Wrap some around the hilt of you knife or something. 100ft minimum - this stuff, like duct tape has SOOO many uses it's ridiculous.

For fire, I would have a magnesium firestarter and a cheap butane lighter. Both are waterproof, compact and will provide thousands of fires, long after matches will be used up. Practice using a bow-drill and your firestarter when camping, they're both pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

I might also throw in some stuff to help catch food: small game snares, bare-minimum tackle (i.e. some fishing line and some hooks) maybe a slingshot band?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

trax
08-20-2007, 12:33 PM
as rants go, that one was not bad at all. Pretty good rant. I think it would probably get a 95 or 96, because the Russian judges are always biased.:D

wareagle69
08-21-2007, 06:50 PM
yep what he said..

WildGoth
08-24-2007, 03:37 PM
you guys have any ideas as to where to get some waterproof matchs or a flint stiker i've been looking for one for a long time

nell67
08-24-2007, 04:00 PM
amazon.com is a good place to look,also google survival gear,or look at the site sponsers ,listed on this site.

Tony uk
08-24-2007, 04:12 PM
My turn to rant.

Another survival kit thread ?
Are people even reading threads ?

Just in this section we already have 4 threads on survival kits, and 2 were started by.........Wildgoth. Hellooooo!

Talk about redundancy. I understand that some topics will come back over and over again, and that's ok, since new people arrive all the time and questions have to be answered. But another survival kit thread is just...not needed.

so here we go again...
Amazon
Book
Build the perfect survival kit
Buy
The end.

If you do have to talk about it, for advice or who knows what, don't start a new thread, just continue the one(s) that is(are) appropriate.
Saves space and time.

End rant.
If you want then ask Chris to merge them !, My rant is over for the day :)

I had some.....Ideas about a survival kits when i started off but i reccomend following a shop bought kit and taking out the stuff you will less likely need and putting in the stuff you normaly use :)

WildGoth
08-24-2007, 10:36 PM
yeah but if you make one your self you can trust it unlike a store made one because some don't care if you are in danger they just want to make a quick buck it happened to me when i brought a mageiusm lighter

Sarge47
08-24-2007, 10:42 PM
On episode #3, season #2 of Survivorman, Les Stroud uses a survival kit, a .22 rifle, an axe, and steals meat from his dog-sled team in Labrador. Case in point is a comment he makes when showing the axe: "I'd never go out alone in the North Canadian woods without an Axe.":rolleyes: Go Les!;)

WildGoth
08-25-2007, 07:05 AM
i saw that episode just last night lol

wareagle69
08-25-2007, 01:46 PM
we haven't got the new season yet and we are his homey's this sucks..

eddiec
08-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Hey, winter is fast approaching, and if last year was any indication as to what it's gonna be like this year, we're in for some doozies! What do all of you keep in your family emergency kits?

Sarge47
08-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey, winter is fast approaching, and if last year was any indication as to what it's gonna be like this year, we're in for some doozies! What do all of you keep in your family emergency kits?

It would depend if I'm leaving the house or not. Mostly everything I use/have is pretty generic and can be used year 'round.:cool:

eddiec
08-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Most of this revolves around home and maybe auto. Last year, we got hit with a blizzard and two ice storms and was without power for an extended period of time at each storm. I usually figure the amount of nonpreishable food per person per day. Heat is a biggie also. I tried to use the stovetop burners, but gave up due to the threat of carbon monoxide poisioning. I'm looking for an alternate way to heat one room effectively.

FVR
08-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm pretty much set at the homefront. Now, I do plan on venturing back into the woods in Jan., small game season.

Now that's a diff story.

Bid diff. between Ill and Georgia.

It gets cold, damn cold, but it does not get Ill. cold.

nell67
08-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Most of this revolves around home and maybe auto. Last year, we got hit with a blizzard and two ice storms and was without power for an extended period of time at each storm. I usually figure the amount of nonpreishable food per person per day. Heat is a biggie also. I tried to use the stovetop burners, but gave up due to the threat of carbon monoxide poisioning. I'm looking for an alternate way to heat one room effectively.

I am so glad you mentioned carbon monoxide poisoning,so many people die in an emergency situation because they use their gas stove,a kerosene heater or even use a generater to run space heaters,the problem being the stove isnt vented well enough to used for long periods of time,kerosene heaters must also have adequate ventilation,and generaters should NEVER be used indoors,also people stranded in their vehicles running the engine for extended periods of time ,or failing to clear snow or other debris from around the exhaust pipe of their vehicle,succumb to this oderless,colorless and tasteless gas.
I know only too well what carbon monoxide can do to you,my oldest sons father died from it ,and I have scars on my arm,and leg from the burns it can inflict, if you are "lucky" enough to survive.

It has been 21 years this October 18th since it happened to me,and it still haunts me.If I had only known,I would never have turned that car on.

wareagle69
08-26-2007, 06:30 PM
winter is my favorite time of year here in the great white north says the Arizona kid. i had snow in the Mt's but i love winter up here and the blue jays are already at the bird feeder so she might be a bit early this year yeah.

co2 poisoning is a bad way to go along with being a plumber i am also a gas technician i has combustion analyzers and co2 detectors to protect my family

Fog_Harbor
08-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Living in San Francisco, the only major shift in weather is rain or no rain, so other than good rain gear, most of the rest is year-round.

My vehicle always has winter items such as coats, blankets, sand, chains, and of course a shovel. The food and water load out is pretty much the same year round.

carcajou garou
08-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Other than better insulated weight sleeping bags we also heat the house with a wood burning stove, also used for cooking or warming if need be.
Have slept outdoor in winter though if you are prepared its OK.
In the car we carry a full kit and sleeping bags with alcohol stove and seasonal supplies

smokelessfire
08-27-2007, 12:02 PM
woodstove is the way to go. heat with it, cook with it.

trax
08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Or as we tenants like to refer to her, the sea-serpent. NO woodstove at my house :rolleyes: When I owned my place up north, I had a woodstove for heat, we had a power outage in February one year because of some downed lines, the whole town was skewered. We got along just fine, the water still ran, so we used the woodstove for cooking and warming bath and wash water.

Here's something interesting for the group dynamic too....some people ran out of firewood, others of us never hesitated to share what we had. Of course, we were surrounded by boreal forest so it wasn't much of a chore to go and cut more, but most people don't like hauling firewood out of the bush in February in northern Manitoba when they're up to their butts in snow.

I always make sure that I have extra winter clothing, a down sleeping bag, some candles and a good road emergency kit when I'm traveling any long distances in winter time. If I'm doing any outdoor stuff, wool undies is definitely the way to go!

WildGoth
08-30-2007, 12:55 AM
the season so far is really good

ATough
08-30-2007, 11:21 AM
ya. cant wait for the next episode.

well back on topic. you should get this book, (Build the perfect survival kit)
who wrote it?

Sarge47
08-30-2007, 12:09 PM
ya. cant wait for the next episode.

well back on topic. you should get this book, (Build the perfect survival kit)
who wrote it?

John D. McCann, & I have a copy, lots of good ideas in there;)

ATough
08-30-2007, 01:24 PM
thats his name, thanks Sarge.
its a good book.

survival scout
09-02-2007, 10:52 AM
you are all forgeting things first you can never have one thing more important than the other it will consently chang on your location and whats happening at that time but first aid always comes first and if in cold conditions then fire would help big time but if camping in spring or early summer shelter may be more impotant to get our of the rain but just for the record i want fire if weather permits and spiritman owl girl is right that could make a much larger fire and if u were to camp in winter (you would want shelter first) then the fire could melt the snow ubove and put you in a bad place

spiritman
09-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Or fire + tree = really really big fire!

lol Really big fire = found

survival scout
09-03-2007, 09:46 AM
enless your in the middle of the deep woods then fire=death hazered and if you are found then big fire=big ticket

mbarnatl
09-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Preparing before you go out in the outdoors will help alot on the stresses. What priorities at the time you get in a survival situation will differ.

This article from http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/priorities.html sums it up best.

SURVIVAL PRIORITIES
If you are injured, then First Aid becomes your top priority. In the case of a major medical emergency, you must prevent shock and stop bleeding. Even minor cuts and abrasions should be treated immediately because they can quickly escalate into infection and bigger problems. Once you have addressed any medical situations, your next priority will be to protect yourself from the elements with shelter. Shelter will help keep you warm in a cold environment and cool in a hot environment. This initial shelter should be found or constructed relatively quickly and can be temporary. Its purpose is to protect you from the elements and provide a place to evaluate your situation and start planning for survival. If you are in a temperate climate, you may not need shelter until later.

The next priority is to build a fire. A fire can help keep you warm, allow you to boil water, cook food, be used for signaling, and most importantly it will help build and sustain your morale. As a general rule, the worse the weather is, the more important it is to have a fire. Unfortunately, this means that the more you need a fire, the more difficult it will be to start.

Once you have stabilized any medical issues, gotten protection from the elements, and started a fire, you should then start to search for a source of fresh water. Once found, this water should be made drinkable to prevent health problems caused by waterborne viruses and bacteria. However, if there is no way to treat the water, you should still drink because the effects of dehydration are so severe.

Now that you can sustain life for an extended period of time, your next priority is signaling for rescue. After all signaling devices and methods are in place you can then look for a source of food. Your need for food is the lowest priority, no matter what your stomach is telling you.

Rules of 3

You can survive without oxygen or with major bleeding for 3 minutes
You can survive exposure to extreme cold or heat for 3 hours
You can survive without water for 3 days
You can survive without food for 3 weeks

survivalhike
09-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I have about 8 books on winderness survival but I will agree that the biggest and most informative one I have ever read or would want to have in the field is the Twarell book. The second edition of "Camping and Wilderness Survival" is a larger and more compact than the first version (which I have as well) and can easily be stowed in your backpack. If there was a flaw to this book it would be that there is too much information. In the shelter chapter they cover what seems like 50 types of shelters. Way too much information, but I would much rather have more than less. I great investment, and a great take along book that might yeild some nugget of information one day that could possibly save your life.

Sarge47
09-04-2007, 05:29 PM
I have about 8 books on winderness survival but I will agree that the biggest and most informative one I have ever read or would want to have in the field is the Twarell book. The second edition of "Camping and Wilderness Survival" is a larger and more compact than the first version (which I have as well) and can easily be stowed in your backpack. If there was a flaw to this book it would be that there is too much information. In the shelter chapter they cover what seems like 50 types of shelters. Way too much information, but I would much rather have more than less. I great investment, and a great take along book that might yeild some nugget of information one day that could possibly save your life.

Does the 2nd book contain different info than the 1st, which I have btw, or more added into the 1st?:confused:

mbarnatl
09-05-2007, 04:21 PM
The author refined and updated from the first edition. The main difference was the first edition measures 10.9x8.5x1.2 inches to the second edition 8.1x5.3x1.7 inches. I had a choice to buy both books... it looked to me that the second edition had more and updated content. I read from some reviews that the first book had spelling errors that are now fixed in the second edition. I bought the second edition.

mbarnatl
09-08-2007, 05:42 PM
I was watching Survivorman last night and he mentioned a coffee can kit. I went and did a search for a DIY-kit.

The Do-it-yourself Coffee Can Survival Kit

This is a compact kit that can be carried in the car, on the boat, or in a pack for hunting, hiking, exploring, etc. Most of the contents will fit in a one-pound coffee can which doubles as a pot for melting snow and device with which to dig an emergency snow shelter. (However, if you can carry it, include a small shovel. It is far, far better than trying to use a coffee can.) You should be aware that if this kit is carried while on hiking or hunting trips, you still need to carry the other Ten Essentials not included below.
Keep three points in mind when putting together a survival kit. First, make it small enough that you'll actually carry it and not leave it home. Second, use the list as a guide and customize it to your needs. For instance, if you are allergic to insect bites, bring the appropriate medicine, or carry appropriate wrap if you have knee problems.

Thirdly, bring enough to enable you to spend at least one night out. It is usually the first 6 hours that determine whether you'll be able to survive an emergency. If you can make it through the first night, then your chances are good that you can make it a few more nights if necessary.

Thanks to Allan Priddy who helps teach the Wilderness Survival class for putting this list together.

General Items
Braided nylon rope (25 feet)
Mirror
Matches (2 boxes)
Fire Starter
Poncho (bright orange to attract attention)
Toilet paper
Candle (wrapped in aluminum foil)
Paper and pencil
Fishing line, hooks, split shot leads
Knife
Whistle
Money (2 nickels, 2 dimes, 2 quarters, $20 bill: helpful for making phone call or paying for gas if broken down along highway)
Garbage Bags (2 large size bags)
Bright orange surveyor's tape

Repair Kit
Sewing kit
Dental floss (It's strong and useful as thread for sewing, or a fishing line or for lashing branches for improvised shelters.)
Safety pins
Wire (bailing wire)

First Aid Kit (Also see Lightweight First Aid Kit)
Moleskin
Sterile pads (2 x 2 and 4 x 4)
Sterile Gauze
Neosporin
Bandaids
Aspirin
First Aid Tape

Nourishment
Honey Packages (available in small foil packages available at convenience stores)
Instant Soup or tea (a couple packages)

Optional
Folding saw
Compass (learn how to use)
Hard Candy

Carrying container
Coffee Can (1 lb size) or nylon stuff bag

All contents except the plastic bags and the optional items will fit in a 1 lb coffee can. (Or you can flat "Spam" cans or oval-shaped containers available at outdoor stores.) The plastic bags can be affixed to the outside of the can with a rubber band. To keep things from rattling in the can, wad up some wax paper and stuff it around the items. The wax paper stays dry and also doubles as a fire starter. To save weight the contents can be placed in a stuff bag and a metal cup can be used instead of the coffee can.

Original source: http://www.isu.edu/outdoor/survkit.htm

Fog_Harbor
09-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Oddly enough, I've been considering making up a few of those for family and friends (and one for my Jeep of course).

U.S.Marine2111
09-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Nice, but I might throw in a couple of those foil sleeping bags. In the last few years there has been a couple of high profile cases where a family has gotten stranded in the dead of winter and has either died, or recieved severe frostbite. Those space blankets don't take up a lot of space either.

carcajou garou
09-10-2007, 01:59 PM
A forester that I used to trapse around with when I was in school, carried a
"can kit". It was a jam can with a pressure lid and he had "bail" hangers (with sash chain) riveted to the sides (2) to hang over a fire. these bail hangers also were connected by a leather lace that acted as a loop to carry the can kit over his shoulder.
PS the only draw back is that it would bang on his kidneys, so he eventually when to a small Woods canvass day pack.

RobertRogers
09-14-2007, 09:38 AM
multi-tool is good too

WildGoth
09-14-2007, 06:22 PM
as some of you know me and my friends are planning a paintball game which has now been changed to airsoft my friends are military junkies and wanted to make very real so i know alot of you have been in the military so they have a few questions this is around winter so winter or spring military info plz

1. how much extra ammo do you carry rounds or weight
2. what are the colthes you wear and any extras
3. what is the range of items you bring to survive
4. what food and how much do you bring i know mres are basic but i have heard from people they carry othe food

i think that is it they wanted to know but they are to lazy to make their own accounts so had me do it

FVR
09-14-2007, 08:33 PM
#1 Depends on the job that needs to be done.

#2 Depends on the job and how long you're going to be gone.

#3 Depends on the job and where you are in the world.

#4 Depends on how long the job is est. to get done.

For military junkies, ya'll don't seem to have a plan.

Oh, you're 13.

Diff. story. How long you gonna be out? what is your environment? how many in each team?

WildGoth
09-14-2007, 09:08 PM
i told them that they said basic job lol i told them no military job is normal
we will be out 3 days forest north east new york 3 on 3 hopefuly your comment will make them believe me

survivalhike
09-15-2007, 12:49 AM
I like the idea of a can because you now have a container to boil water in, and to cook food in. And as Survivorman mentioned, the lid of the can is great because you can carry water with you and not worry about spilling it.

Tony uk
09-15-2007, 04:39 AM
1. It Depends
2. DPM Camoflage, Webbing, Ghile Suit
3. Depends on the area but a basic, lightweight survival kit is good
4. Anything that has a high nutritional value but doesnt take up to much room and wont go off in a short time, MREs, Canned Food, Dryed Fruit, Protiene Supliment.........

Beast
09-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Well it looks like you guys are a bunch of punks, but if you want to do this for three days out in the wilderness with no human contact, then your gonna need to bring PLENTY of canned food, it seems kinda stupid that your gonna be out for that long but what ever floats your boat. I reccomend MRE's if you've got em, but I doubt you do. In that case, bring canned food, like Tuna. Dont bring anything your not gonna be able to eat with out heating like tomato soup. As for ammo, i suggest your bring a 10k case each and dont go blacko on the ammo. I play Airsoft with friends and we use MRE's and AirForce Issued BDU's. (AFJROTC) Give us more info about the trip cause right now it sounds like your gonna go out and get lost then i can watch it on the 5oclock news.

WildGoth
09-15-2007, 02:44 PM
no we won't be on the news they are very well when it comes to surviveing but these moron claim to be military junkies but know nothing lol they are useing airsoft mp5s im useing a sniper rifle we are useing a berttea pistol as our secondary weapon they deicided to use military ground soldiers bdu's
my team wanted to use their own guns a p90 and shotgun and a berttea for one the other has not deicded yet oh and im going to be useing a ghille suit

Sarge47
09-15-2007, 05:40 PM
no we won't be on the news they are very well when it comes to surviveing but these moron claim to be military junkies but know nothing lol they are useing airsoft mp5s im useing a sniper rifle we are useing a berttea pistol as our secondary weapon they deicided to use military ground soldiers bdu's
my team wanted to use their own guns a p90 and shotgun and a berttea for one the other has not deicded yet oh and im going to be useing a ghille suit

Doesn't sound like it, Wild Goth. "Air-soft" guns? Really? How "expert" is that? No offense, but this just isn't very realistic. Sounds to me your just playing "Army" like I did when I was a kid. An Air-soft gun won't stop any serious animal attack nor bag you food, but it might tic 'em off!:rolleyes:

FVR
09-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Sarge,

They are kids playing Army.

Playing Army for 3 days, that's pretty gung ho if you ask me. Just wondering, if you get shot once, are you out and can you go home?

If that's the case, may just take a hundred rounds, if'n ya need thousands of rounds each, gonna be some pretty woods when you leave.

Three days, are ya'll gonna be by water? will you be boiling it or just taking it in with you. Honestly, 3 days, when I go in for two days mil. style not prim. hunting I will carry 4 canteens, that will get me through a day and a half and I will still end up boiling water the second day. Water is heavy and noisy.

RECRUIT! is that water I hear in your canteen, just give me 20 you puke! Water makes noise.

Food, canned is going to be heavy, MRE's would be best if you can afford them. That will eliminate any use for pots and pans.

Two days, one set of bdu's, three days, I'm going to need and extra set. I will also take a bar of soap and jump in a water hole when I find it. I have done this in Jan and Feb, just a clean freak.

Poncho and liner should do you okay, if not, add a green mil. wool blanket.

Pers. I would take for 3 days, 4 pair of socks and wash a pair out every night. Change twice a day.

Just curious, two teams of 3. Are the teams going in at diff. areas? if so, do ya'll know how to use maps and coord's? Ya'll may be in there for days and not see your opponents.

To be young again.

Sarge47
09-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Sarge,

They are kids playing Army.

Playing Army for 3 days, that's pretty gung ho if you ask me. Just wondering, if you get shot once, are you out and can you go home?

If that's the case, may just take a hundred rounds, if'n ya need thousands of rounds each, gonna be some pretty woods when you leave.

Three days, are ya'll gonna be by water? will you be boiling it or just taking it in with you. Honestly, 3 days, when I go in for two days mil. style not prim. hunting I will carry 4 canteens, that will get me through a day and a half and I will still end up boiling water the second day. Water is heavy and noisy.

RECRUIT! is that water I hear in your canteen, just give me 20 you puke! Water makes noise.

Food, canned is going to be heavy, MRE's would be best if you can afford them. That will eliminate any use for pots and pans.

Two days, one set of bdu's, three days, I'm going to need and extra set. I will also take a bar of soap and jump in a water hole when I find it. I have done this in Jan and Feb, just a clean freak.

Poncho and liner should do you okay, if not, add a green mil. wool blanket.

Pers. I would take for 3 days, 4 pair of socks and wash a pair out every night. Change twice a day.

Just curious, two teams of 3. Are the teams going in at diff. areas? if so, do ya'll know how to use maps and coord's? Ya'll may be in there for days and not see your opponents.

To be young again.

my bad.:o As I posted awhile back, it's how I got my name. (Sarge). Are you sayin' you ain't? (Young):D

FVR
09-15-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm saying that sometimes I feel olddddd.

WildGoth
09-16-2007, 12:07 AM
thanks for the info FVR i will use it we will be going into differnt areas we all know our way around our neck of the woods and sarge we don't run into much game except a doe or two but not around the time we are going i know of a river but they don't want to use it saying that's not miltary so we are rationing water i found some mres and getting them for the teams well that is my rant

carcajou garou
09-16-2007, 09:23 AM
One thing about using a used coffee can or such is that nowdays many of these cans are linned with epoxies or other sealing treatments that could be leaching toxins if you heat them over a fire. MSR has a line of covered pots in different sizes that can be substituted but of course they cost much more than the free cans. To me it a no brainer go for the MSR pots that are made for heating.
You have to be concerned today with all sorts of toxins that are used in our daily life.

FVR
09-16-2007, 11:14 AM
What's wrong with a small haversack, a canteen and a canteen cup? It's like everyone is trying to re-invent the basics.

You can carry a can in the backwoods if you want.

U.S.Marine2111
09-16-2007, 11:52 AM
as some of you know me and my friends are planning a paintball game which has now been changed to airsoft my friends are military junkies and wanted to make very real so i know alot of you have been in the military so they have a few questions this is around winter so winter or spring military info plz

1. how much extra ammo do you carry rounds or weight
2. what are the colthes you wear and any extras
3. what is the range of items you bring to survive
4. what food and how much do you bring i know mres are basic but i have heard from people they carry othe food

i think that is it they wanted to know but they are to lazy to make their own accounts so had me do it

I'm not a high speed low drag recon Marine, so I haven't had to do any real survival type stuff. The closest I have come is the cruciable which is something like a 72 hour *** beating on 8 hours of sleep and one and half MRE's.

I will attempt to answer a few of your questions.

1), Ammo: We carry as much as possible. Right now the combat load is seven full 30 round magazines. (Knowledgable Marines only carry 27 - 28 rounds as a full 30 weakens the spring quickly and causes jams) This is a substantial amount of weight. I have never weighed a full Magazine but it is easily a pound or more.

2) Clothing: If you're moving around bundled up at a decent clip you're going to get hot fast, no matter how cold it is. Don't bundle up if your closing with the enemy as you will sweat, then when you stop you're going to freeze your *** off. Extra clothes, gortex top, bottom and intermediate layers that can be added or removed as the climate dictates. We are issued polypros, longjohns, fleece jackets, gloves and a fleece watch cap. I chill easily so I rock a sweatshirt as well, in addition to a Snugpak brand shirt (very light and warm) For three days, I would only take the uniform your wearing, one extra T-Shirt, 4 pairs of socks and one extra pair of underwear. A small package of baby wipes is a must. But for three days in the field, no Marine is going to change his cammies unless he fell in **** or something. We have to carry weigh to much **** as it is, we try to cut the fat when we can.

3) Range of items brought to survive, WATER, WATER, WATER! You can survive for weeks without food, but only a few days without water. You're not going to be burdened with body armor, an actual M16, M9, Bayonet or Ka Bar, real ammo, Kevlar helmet, SAPI plates, NVG's, ACOGS or PEQ-2's. All together of the stuff I just listed weighs probably in the neighborhood of 60 lbs. You're basic Marine however doesn't really have to carry that much for actual survival as we are followed by a logistics train with support equipment, chow etc. Since you won't have a logistics train following you take lots of water, a multi tool like a leatherman, Ka Bar or any other large fixed blade knife a cell phone, a foil space blanket sleeping bag and some bright orange material for signaling purposes, a flashlight, and something to make a fire with. Which brings forth another question, you and 5 buddies are going to be running around the forest in the spring or winter time frame wearing utilities? What of hunters, have you considered that aspect?

4) food: We carry MRE's. Field strip them meaning take them out of the boxes and the heavy brown bag they come in. You should just be left with the green pouches, this reduces weight and makes them easier to pack and carry. Lots of Marines will carry other trash, jerky, candy stuff like that, but that is optional, whatever works for you.

WildGoth
09-16-2007, 02:13 PM
it is private propety and there is no hunting allowed it the area and thank to fvr sarge and marine for the help

Tony uk
09-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Try and look around the net for a L98A1 Cadet General Purpose Rifle and some blank round mags, they are getting replaced with a semi automatic version and might be getting sold over there in America (I highly dought that you will find any tho) The blanks can go threw skin and under 50 meters and are more reilistic then Airsoft guns

U.KMarine-Red4
09-16-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm not a high speed low drag recon Marine, so I haven't had to do any real survival type stuff. The closest I have come is the cruciable which is something like a 72 hour *** beating on 8 hours of sleep and one and half MRE's.

I will attempt to answer a few of your questions.

1), Ammo: We carry as much as possible. Right now the combat load is seven full 30 round magazines. (Knowledgable Marines only carry 27 - 28 rounds as a full 30 weakens the spring quickly and causes jams) This is a substantial amount of weight. I have never weighed a full Magazine but it is easily a pound or more.

2) Clothing: If you're moving around bundled up at a decent clip you're going to get hot fast, no matter how cold it is. Don't bundle up if your closing with the enemy as you will sweat, then when you stop you're going to freeze your *** off. Extra clothes, gortex top, bottom and intermediate layers that can be added or removed as the climate dictates. We are issued polypros, longjohns, fleece jackets, gloves and a fleece watch cap. I chill easily so I rock a sweatshirt as well, in addition to a Snugpak brand shirt (very light and warm) For three days, I would only take the uniform your wearing, one extra T-Shirt, 4 pairs of socks and one extra pair of underwear. A small package of baby wipes is a must. But for three days in the field, no Marine is going to change his cammies unless he fell in **** or something. We have to carry weigh to much **** as it is, we try to cut the fat when we can.

3) Range of items brought to survive, WATER, WATER, WATER! You can survive for weeks without food, but only a few days without water. You're not going to be burdened with body armor, an actual M16, M9, Bayonet or Ka Bar, real ammo, Kevlar helmet, SAPI plates, NVG's, ACOGS or PEQ-2's. All together of the stuff I just listed weighs probably in the neighborhood of 60 lbs. You're basic Marine however doesn't really have to carry that much for actual survival as we are followed by a logistics train with support equipment, chow etc. Since you won't have a logistics train following you take lots of water, a multi tool like a leatherman, Ka Bar or any other large fixed blade knife a cell phone, a foil space blanket sleeping bag and some bright orange material for signaling purposes, a flashlight, and something to make a fire with. Which brings forth another question, you and 5 buddies are going to be running around the forest in the spring or winter time frame wearing utilities? What of hunters, have you considered that aspect?

4) food: We carry MRE's. Field strip them meaning take them out of the boxes and the heavy brown bag they come in. You should just be left with the green pouches, this reduces weight and makes them easier to pack and carry. Lots of Marines will carry other trash, jerky, candy stuff like that, but that is optional, whatever works for you.

1) For airsoft take high cap mags, take atleast 900 rounds for your three days. Thats about 3-4 high caps. MAKE SURE YOU BRING A SECONDRY WEAPON!!! This could be anything small (MP5/sig 552 or a pistol or two recomended.) What you have to remember about airsoft is its not 100% real, and the ammo isnt full weight so take as much as you can fit into your webbing, evan if this means cramming utility pouches with mags. Take out atleast 5 mags for your pistol as if your primary goes down you need to fight your way out of immediate danger before trying to get your gun up again. Also always have a gun to hand, if your doing anything that requires one hand then have your secondry in to other.

2)DPM's for the win mate, leave the ghilli suit behind. Take a thermal underlayer that should keep your body at around 39 celsius (102.2 Fahrenheit) which is slightly over the natural restin temperature. Next have a DPM t-shirt or if you really feel the heat skip that and just go onto a soldier 95 shirt and then have a water proof combat jacket. very simple for the bottom, just shove on some dark underwear and some DPM trousers/pants. Take 1 spare of everything exept socks, take 5 pairs with you and be wearing one. If you find this weighs too much cut corners but not on the socks.

3) as stated above WATER. Water, as you probably know, is the most important thing that can be taken anywhere. Take put 3 ration packs but steer clear of the biscuits. For face protection i would recommend Dye Invisions if you favour your teeth, if not then shooting glasses will suffice. Try and take a bottle of bb's with you so you can fill up when your not doing anything else BUT KEEP A PISTOL TO HAND! Take some form of communication with the outside world and if possible then some between your team. Take a quick erecting shelter such as a basha and keep as warm as possible at night. Avoid making a fire as the smell of the smoke and the light might attract unwanted attention. Bring a multi-tool and make sure its a good one.

4) You can take other food if you want but rat packs give the body the correct amounts of everything your body needs. Believe it or not some unlucky person has had to spend time making sure you get perfect nutrients from those rat packs. Take at least 3 large (2 litre) bottles of water and put them in your patrol pack, also take a bottle that will fit into your webbing and after filling mags, fill the bottle right up with water and put it in your webbing. If you are going to take my advice and leave the biscuits alone then take some replacement for the energy you're leaving in the pack

Also, i'm sure you are, but make sure that anyone that may go into the woods knows that your going to be in there with realistic imitation firearms. To be perfectly safe i would highly recommend sticking to a registered airsoft park, just to avoid armed response units blowing you away. Play responsibly, don't take (much) beer, although being 13 that shouldn't be too much of a problem and ALWAYS, ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION... always whilst playing that is.

ALWAYS

WildGoth
09-16-2007, 07:34 PM
thanks that is very through and very helpful

Beast
09-16-2007, 09:11 PM
I still think your crazy man, and i'm an airsoft player, i think your going to be bored out of your ***. And freeze your ***.

WildGoth
09-18-2007, 04:04 PM
thnaks to everyone who gave me some info thanks

tfisher
09-18-2007, 09:33 PM
I would say a water cache somewhere and an extra ammo cache. even though airsoft is no way similar to actual ammo and weapon weight. Get a weapon sling. take some stomach pills if you are not used to MRE's right off. MRE's are High calorie meals your gut may not be used to them right off.

WildGoth
09-19-2007, 01:06 AM
is there any special type i should use or will any do

saiga7
09-20-2007, 11:56 PM
where do you guys buy your stuff.

i've been checking out www.cheaperthandirt.com and www.campmor.com

are these places reasonable in prices? thanks.

nell67
09-21-2007, 02:57 AM
cheaper than dirt is pretty good,you can find some good deals there.

Sarge47
09-21-2007, 07:03 AM
On what you're looking for. It's been my experience that every place has their lower priced items as well as higher priced ones.:cool:

HOP
09-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Sportsmans guide has a lot of stuff . Military surplus and the like can be a real bargian much is top quality and rugged just out dated .

WildGoth
09-22-2007, 07:21 AM
dick's sporting goods around here has some good stuff like mre's and other survival stuff like wind-proof and water-proof matches and etc

saiga7
09-22-2007, 11:36 AM
i'm thinking that the coffee can's flimsy lid will start to wear out from being used and/or stored in a trunk of a car for however long before it's needed. so it won't hold up too well when an actual survival situation happens.

Sarge47
09-22-2007, 11:57 AM
i'm thinking that the coffee can's flimsy lid will start to wear out from being used and/or stored in a trunk of a car for however long before it's needed. so it won't hold up too well when an actual survival situation happens.

That's why you should include a 2' square of aluminum foil. ;)

Sarge47
09-22-2007, 11:59 AM
What's wrong with a small haversack, a canteen and a canteen cup? It's like everyone is trying to re-invent the basics.

You can carry a can in the backwoods if you want.

I agree, FVR, how-ever, if one were to lose their canteen cup then perhaps the can would come in handy. I, myself, picked up a lt.wt. MSR cook kit at a yard sale awhile back for $5.:cool:

mbarnatl
09-22-2007, 09:37 PM
I use a the 2 Olicamp Space Saver Cups , the cup fits precisely around my Nalgene bottles. Both bottles are attached to the fanny pack. The coffee can idea is good to keep in a car (better than nothing at all). The article was written years ago with household items in mind and mainly for cold weather scenarios .

I guess the networks asked him if he could use it in a winter scenario. Les mentions that the networks wanted more winter scenarios, in the episode of "behind the scenes of surviorman".

@Sarge47: "MSR cook kit at a yard sale awhile back for $5." that was a good catch. Wish I had that luck of finding things at yard sales. All I find is Chinese shoes from spambots...:D

mbarnatl
09-22-2007, 09:49 PM
I get some good deals from these sites:

www.lifeviewoutdoors.com (http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/store/)
www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/catalog.html?id=N6ESLWyx:76.97.76.230)
http://www.campmor.com/
http://cheaperthandirt.com/
Emergency Essentials (http://beprepared.com/Default.asp?)
http://www.bestglide.com/

also check out military surplus stores.

Sarge47
09-22-2007, 11:20 PM
I use a the 2 Olicamp Space Saver Cups , the cup fits precisely around my Nalgene bottles. Both bottles are attached to the fanny pack. The coffee can idea is good to keep in a car (better than nothing at all). The article was written years ago with household items in mind and mainly for cold weather scenarios .

I guess the networks asked him if he could use it in a winter scenario. Les mentions that the networks wanted more winter scenarios, in the episode of "behind the scenes of surviorman".

@Sarge47: "MSR cook kit at a yard sale awhile back for $5." that was a good catch. Wish I had that luck of finding things at yard sales. All I find is Chinese shoes from spambots...:D

Yard saleare cool, got a Coleman single burner, propane mountaineering stove for three bucks, a Nalgene water bottle for $3.00 also.;)

mbarnatl
09-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Forgot one:

www.brigadeqm.com

Sarge47
09-23-2007, 11:51 AM
www.sportsmansguide.com

www.uscav.com

www.majorsurplus.com (one of my favorites)

http://www.imsplus.com/ims24a.html (I like the bandana, also the survival mirror down at the bottom of the page.)

http://www.colemans.com/ (a bit higher-priced than the others, but they have some things the others don't.)

http://www.wisementrading.com/firestarters/flint.htm (This site's prices are pretty reasonable.)

http://www.bcbsurvivalusa.com/xcart/catalog/Crusader-Integral-Survival-Unit-p-16167.html
(The same water bottle and cup Bear Grylls uses. The next llisting is for the same item.)

http://www.bestglide.com/integral_survival_unit_info.html (The price on the same item as the above site seems to be less $$$ by a significant amount.)

Enjoy.:D

mbarnatl
09-23-2007, 12:02 PM
http://www.bcbsurvivalusa.com/xcart/catalog/Crusader-Integral-Survival-Unit-p-16167.html
(The same water bottle and cup Bear Grylls uses. The next llisting is for the same item.)

http://www.bestglide.com/integral_survival_unit_info.html (The price on the same item as the above site seems to be less $$$ by a significant amount.)

Enjoy.:D

The two links are the same company.

saiga7
09-24-2007, 12:55 AM
thanks everyone. i'm checking these sites out.

i'm a noob just looking to get all the usual stuff.

WildGoth
09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Sorry sarge if this is considered reposting

many of you know of my military survival test for me and my friends well for people who don't me and my friends are airsofting in the woods for 3 days around winter so i have posted my kit for the trip any suggestions are welcome

1 camo backpack
2 airsoft rilfes
1 set of 10k airsoft pellets
9 sets of mre's
1 maguisem flint stiker
4 boxes of windproof waterproof matches
1 tactical knife with part saw blade on it
1 straight edged knife
1 muti-tool
3 changes of camo colthes
5 pairs of long knee socks
2 pairs of boxers
1 med. ket with bandages antiseptic etc.
1 hatchet
1 saw
2 signaling mirrors
1 whitsle
2 walkie talkies
1 tactical vest
1 thermal blanket
1 sleeping bag
1 waist pack
couple feet of trip wire
possibly 10 flash hand-grenades made for airsoft
2 water bottles
and i cannot decide between making a fire or bringing a butane camp stove only like 3lbs but with butane around 5lbs or 6lbs again any thoughts on the kit anything i can do to make it better please let me know

Sarge47
09-24-2007, 10:54 PM

many of you know of my military survival test for me and my friends well for people who don't me and my friends are airsofting in the woods for 3 days around winter so i have posted my kit for the trip any suggestions are welcome

1 camo backpack
2 airsoft rilfes
9 sets of mre's
1 maguisem flint stiker
1 straight edged knife
1 muti-tool
2 pairs of boxers
1 hatchet
1 saw
2 signaling mirrors
1 whitsle
2 walkie talkies
1 tactical vest
couple feet of trip wire
2 water bottles
and i cannot decide between making a fire or bringing a butane camp stove only like 3lbs but with butane around 5lbs or 6lbs again any thoughts on the kit anything i can do to make it better please let me know

Since it's winter I would include Poly-proprolyne "Long Underwear", preferably the military type, or their Fleece lined styles. You also didn't list your outer layer, ie. coat and foot-wear. those will be a major consideration.:cool:

WildGoth
09-24-2007, 11:13 PM
i knew i forgot something footwear i will be useing boots and i am also bring a pair of snow boots incase and i will take your suggestion

FVR
09-24-2007, 11:25 PM
1 camo backpack
2 airsoft rilfes

9 sets of mre's - Take out of packages lighter and takes up less space.

1 maguisem flint stiker
4 boxes of windproof waterproof matches - Why take both?

1 tactical knife with part saw blade on it - Why, you're taking a saw and a knife?

1 straight edged knife
1 muti-tool
2 pairs of boxers

1 hatchet - Why, you are already taking a multi tool. They cut just fine.

1 saw
2 signaling mirrors
1 whitsle
2 walkie talkies
1 tactical vest
1 thermal blanket
1 sleeping bag
1 waist pack
couple feet of trip wire
2 water bottles

A stove? who's going to carry that? Getting heavy.

What is the total weight of your pack?

WildGoth
09-25-2007, 12:17 AM
with the guns i believe it is 14lbs the stove is very and compact it is smaller then most only 6in wide by 5in tall and i ditched the hatchet i going to take the mre's out of the packages the reason i am bring both the knife and the saw i had a saw that broke on me once and so i had to stop and try and fix it
wasted a few hours so i went with a differnt saw and i brought the knife so no need to waste daylight

U.S.Marine2111
09-25-2007, 11:49 AM

1 camo backpack
2 airsoft rilfes
9 sets of mre's
1 maguisem flint stiker
1 straight edged knife
1 muti-tool
2 pairs of boxers
1 hatchet
1 saw
2 signaling mirrors
1 whitsle
2 walkie talkies
1 tactical vest
1 thermal blanket
1 sleeping bag
1 waist pack
couple feet of trip wire
2 water bottles

Ok, double up on the socks, plan on using at least two a day! I can't stress that enough, and take some foot powder.

Drop the large knife with a saw back, not needed, especially since you're taking either a hatchet or a saw.

You need an iso mat for your sleeping bag, that is a small green foam mat that insulates you from the earth. If you don't take that you will need to use some sort of dry leaves as an insulating layer. I would use the issued iso mat, it is light, cheap and durable, although not the most comfortable. If you have the scratch a nice therma rest would do well too, that's what I rock when I go to the field

Drop at least one set of the uniform, they are heavy! No Marine is taking a uniform for each day in the field, you're going to get nasty. If I go to the field for five days I will take two uniforms.

Double the amount of the MRE's. The military has two types of MRE's, cold weather and regular MRE's. The cold weather are two times the size of a regular MRE because you burn an *** load more calories in the cold. Plus the cold weather MRE's are dry so they won't freeze, you have to add water.

I personally would take more underwear or you're going to end up smelling like bigfoots dick.

Baby wipes! A must in every Marines pack when he goes to the field.

Water, I only see two water bottles, will you be taking 5 gal jugs? Or will you be close enough to your house to get water?

I look forward to reading about you and your friends on cnn.com, don't forget to signal help with your cell phone! Bwahaha

saiga7
09-27-2007, 03:23 PM
along with a good topographical map.

where can i get a topographical map?

what are trash bags used for?

how about mosquito netting? just a drape w/o no poles. Les in the Amazon (season 2 episode 2) lmao.
http://img127.imagevenue.com/loc636/th_21634_Les_Amazon_bugs_122_636lo.jpg (http://img127.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=21634_Les_Amazon_bugs_122_636lo.jpg)

is a slingshot like this one for $7 useful? thanks.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/ZAA-020.jpg

Sarge47
09-27-2007, 06:05 PM
where can i get a topographical map?

what are trash bags used for?

how about mosquito netting? just a drape w/o no poles. Les in the Amazon (season 2 episode 2) lmao.
http://img127.imagevenue.com/loc636/th_21634_Les_Amazon_bugs_122_636lo.jpg (http://img127.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=21634_Les_Amazon_bugs_122_636lo.jpg)

is a slingshot like this one for $7 useful? thanks.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/ZAA-020.jpg

The Slingshot is fine, however if you're watching weight you might want to consider just taking the rubber bads with the little leather pouch and cutting your own from a tree branch.

Topo maps can be bought from several outlets. Here's the one I use:

http://mapping.usgs.gov/mac/maplists

I use the 1:24,000 scale as it's the largest scale I can find.
Also, if you're not familiar with how to use a topo map with a compass I reccommend a book like "Be Expert With Map & Compass" by Bjorn Hjellstrom.

There are a multitude of uses for trash bags; Somewhere in this forum we did a thread on the topic. You'll just have to find it!:rolleyes:

trax
10-01-2007, 05:42 PM
to the gear my victims have left when I'm departing their campsites...did I say that out loud?? DOH! Actually, there's a couple of good surplus stores in the city next door that I haunt with regularity, just sort of keep an eye out for the deals.

mbarnatl
10-06-2007, 05:27 PM
I found out today that the 2nd edition had 300 more pages of content added.:)

mbarnatl
10-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Personal / Pocket Size Survival Kit Reviews

Here is a link to: Personal / Pocket Size Survival Kit Reviews (http://www.equipped.org/prsnlkit.htm).

I will write a review later on "The Adventure® Medical Kits POCKET SURVIVAL PAK" and "Ranger Rick's Special Ops Survival Necklace" since I have both of them. I currently have the flu and really cannot give it my full attention at this time. I will try to post some reviews in a week. Till then enjoy the above link. Also, if you have bought any of the kits from the link above... Please give a review of it and what changes you made to them.

- Thanks,
Mark

sam30248
10-07-2007, 04:16 PM
i make my own kits , i have pocket size to larger kits . it take a little time because i pack it then i double check it.

RobertRogers
10-11-2007, 04:53 PM
You are far better off making your own. Only you know your area And yourself

Fog_Harbor
10-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Yeah, making your own is better. Seems to me you either get a bunch of garbage in a commercial kit, or you pay WAY too much for it.

trax
10-30-2007, 05:21 PM
exactly the reason I go into the bush armed lol

Someone who wants to provide me with free firearms! j/k

HOP
10-30-2007, 05:29 PM
It really pays to shop around on the net for prices there are alot of good deals out there just got to shop around for best price.

Beo
10-31-2007, 10:07 AM
I tend to shop around, the Bass Pro Shop here has good stuff but what each person takes into the wilderness depends on them. I kinda make my own gear pack by putting together what I think a given trek might need. Army surplus stores are great but tend to stick with military gear (just me) some the stuff can get price but then sometimes you get what you pay for. Test new items out and make sure it does what it should.

marberry
11-08-2007, 11:55 PM
i think i recognise that slingshot from SIR (AKA Cabellas) wasnt it $18 cause it has that new kinda super strong band on it?

sam30248
11-09-2007, 07:25 PM
i've trying to make a good survival kit here is the list of items that i can think of off the top of my head

1 buck fixed partially serrated knife
1 normal bladed knife
6 glow sticks
1 medical kit bandages,ontiment etc
1 hatchet
1 saw
1 survival thermal blanket
1 muti-tool
50 feet of nolyon cordage
1 whistle
2 signaling mirror
2 compasses

that is all i can think of
matches, fish kit, sharpener, head cover, gloves, sunglasses, candles?, emergency poncho, fire starter, string, snares

MedicineWolf
11-09-2007, 08:56 PM
matches, fish kit, sharpener, head cover, gloves, sunglasses, candles?, emergency poncho, fire starter, string, snares

Why take sun glasses.

Sarge47
11-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Why take sun glasses.

To look Cool of course!:cool: How about protecting the eyes from UV rays, snowblindness, and harsh glare in desert locals?:confused:

flandersander
11-10-2007, 09:41 PM
:mad:I Am From Saskatchewan And It Is Spelled-s A S K A T C H E W A N And Don't Say- Saskatchewaaan- Say It As- Saaskatchewin!:cool:

flandersander
11-10-2007, 09:43 PM
sry wrong forum.

Smok
11-12-2007, 03:42 AM
Do you know of Ranger Rick XX smell kit I hope that I do this right if not please help others have so fill free here goes www.therangerdigest.com I did it right :D

dilligaf2u2
11-13-2007, 08:37 AM
He has some intresting stuff. I have never used kits from him but I see where they would be nice to have IF I had not made my own. I like mine better. It is here and it is paid for.

Don

sam30248
11-14-2007, 07:21 PM
He has some intresting stuff. I have never used kits from him but I see where they would be nice to have IF I had not made my own. I like mine better. It is here and it is paid for.

Don

i made my kits to , you come out better in the long run . i made 2 for price of 1.

Chris
11-14-2007, 08:35 PM
I have one, he gave it to me once upon a time. I keep it in my car.

Beo
11-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Personally I think that Ranger Rick is dufis, having been to Ranger School (class 12-84) most of his tips come from the Ranger Handbook and common sense, the garbage he peddles is junk. But that's just my opinion take it or leave it.

Sarge47
11-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Personally I think that Ranger Rick is dufis, having been to Ranger School (class 12-84) most of his tips come from the Ranger Handbook and common sense, the garbage he peddles is junk. But that's just my opinion take it or leave it.

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think!:D BTW, your movie just came to our theatre here. Must be about you as your name is in the title.:D

Beo
11-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Naw an imposter :D (I'm more of Natty Bumppo type) and I'd never touch Anglina (kiss my own brother) Jolie

bfwilderness
11-15-2007, 02:31 PM
I like the necklace thing. I use that on backpacking trips and it has worked out well. I have a whistle, flint, and a photon light on mine. I don't think I could carry all that hardware around my neck like he does, but the three items on mine hardly weigh a thing and they are always ready for easy access.

The flashlight has been the most handy at night around camp especially after we start passing around the rum. Flashlights tend to disappear around the end of the evening if they aren't tied to their owner.

Smok
11-15-2007, 07:14 PM
bfwilderness you are right that is alot of hardware .:rolleyes:. the light is great :D

Nativedude
11-17-2007, 10:38 PM
I had a guy in one of my camps that had the Ranger Rick survival necklace.

To use the saw (which broke immediately) he had to take all the other stuff off the necklace and then saw through the plastic tubing (so much for your drinking tube) to try and get it to work. Second pull through the dead standing tree and the end snapped off. So he put the rest of the gear (from the necklace) on one of those little carabiner clips and clipped it to his pack. He said it was more useful that way!

If he had been in a real survival situation, he would have been screwed!! So many gimmicks and gadgets out there the give people a false sense of security.

Use & practice with the gear you buy before you go out and need it!!

survivalhike
11-17-2007, 11:35 PM
The necklace thing works, but his is definately too much to carry around the neck. It's a soft tissue dammage risk. I carry a whistle, flint, and LED keychain light when I go camping and it really comes in handy. Sometimes a P-38 too. (GI can opener)

Nativedude
11-17-2007, 11:39 PM
I have a couple of the P-51's in my gear.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
11-18-2007, 05:31 AM
the necklace turns me off although a kit is worthy personally I don't want it around my neck what i have on my belt and in my pockets will do for short term survival if needed my kit is in a small daypack

Sarge47
11-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Following Cody Lindun's Idea in "98.6..." I made my own necklace out of braided 550 Parachute cord & hung my own stuff from it. To make it "Break-away" I use a little bit of snare wire to hold it all together. :cool:

HOP
11-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Sounds good sarge I have a buck Hartsook neck knife on striped 550 with an LED and a very small magnesum& fero rod with striker and smal compas break away works for me too.

mad coyotee
11-23-2007, 12:33 AM
I make these fishing survival kits and have given them to friends and to some of my oldest son's boy scout members.

Everyone has said that they are neat, great, however, I would like the opinion of those in the survival community where these would be used. I have attached a picture of the kit hosted by image shack.

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fisingkit1tr1.jpg
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/535/fisingkit1tr1.th.jpg

I am in the process of revising this kit to include a 4" x 3/8 dowel rod fishing pole.

Please give me honest opinions on what to change/add to these kits.

thanks in advance

mad coyotee

Smok
11-23-2007, 12:56 AM
no plastic bobers they brake

mad coyotee
11-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Smok,

thanks for the tip.

I assume that the styrofoam cigar shaped bobber would work better, instead. Is that what you were thinking?

mad coyotee

Rick
11-23-2007, 01:26 PM
What test is the line and how many feet of it do you have?

MCBushbaby
11-23-2007, 01:33 PM
I use a piece of cork cut into a coin shape for a bobber. I use wine bottle corks but I suppose you could use any kind.

mbarnatl
11-23-2007, 02:42 PM
I use sticks for a bober. Works great.

MCBushbaby
11-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Missing a few things, but I'll explain that later.

Unopened (http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/8391/p1010001id8.jpg)

This is the outside view of the unopened tin. Sorry 'bout the flash, it's an old digicam and I'm too lazy to figure out how to work it properly. Wrapped around the exterior is 25ft of nylon yarn (though it should be 50' of paracord, but I ran out a while ago).

Unwrapped and open (http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2553/p1010002xa0.jpg)

Here's the opened view. Now, because I'm missing a few things, it's actually less packed than what it should be. But you get the idea... everything fits inside without buckling the lid.

Spread asunder (http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4271/p1010004fv6.jpg)

Ok, the part you've waited for. Let's start from the top->down, left->right:
Bandages: I chose not to include any bandaid-type bandages because in the bush they won't stay stuck to you. Think about how long a bandaid stays attached to you after a shower or two... now how about a long hike to boot? I only included these just in case I have a major wound (something more than a wee sliver or blister).
Iodine tablets: Resealed in a small glass vial with teflon cap seal. Make sure you have a teflon seal as iodine will react with pretty much everything but. I got these tiny little vials from the local university chem lab. They can only be ordered in bulk (1000+) so good luck. The benefit is that you can now fit about 20ish iodine caps safely in your tin. You can also crush iodine tabs and add some water to create a paste and use it as disinfectant.
Crushed aspirin: The next vial has crushed aspirin tabs in it. I found that you can fit almost double the quantity if you crush them, though I didn't try with the iodine. Crushing them doesn't hurt their painkilling application, you just have to be aware how much powder to take versus pills.
Butane lighter: Yes I know, it's not flint. But because I carry flint on my person, I'd rather have a nice hot flame to light wet tinder over two flint strikers.
Altoids tin: The container, duh, but if you take your knife and punch a small hole in the top you can use it as a stove to cook your meat or make new char cloth.
MIA- Char cloth: Not shown. I think I used it as an oil rag, but I had half of a cotton handkerchief in the bottom of my tin to make into char cloth. I generally don't carry char cloth as is... just a preference?
Cotton gauze: I picked these up from the hospital. They're tightly woven pieces of cotton which could be used to gauze up bad wounds or, more likely, to start a fire. I have a tiny dimebag-sized ziplock which I keep them in for waterproofing (not shown).
5 sq ft aluminum foil: Foil is one of the most underrated things you could bring with you, and I've rarely seen it in survival kits. You can use it to cook/broil, fold into a cup or bowl and boil water, use the shiny side for signaling, etc. I used Reynold's but any brand will work, just fold over and over again until you get it into a tiny rectangle.
moleskin: Not really emergency, but blisters suck. period.
25ft nylon string: As I mentioned above, it should be 50ft of paracord.
Cork coin with hooks: Slice a section of a wine cork into a coin. Make sure it's not cracked or split... you want a whole coin. Then take any worm-style hooks and stick them in as shown. Great way to store hooks so they don't puncture or rip anything. The cork is used as a bobber.
Safety pins: Could be used as hooks, but usually are reserved for sutures or repair items. I suppose you could find some plant die and make a wildman tattoo if you want?
Can opener: Usually my multitool would have this handy feature, but dammit I can't find it anymore! So this had to step in. How annoying is it to wander 5 days without food to happen across a can of beans... only to realize you have no way of opening it. *Caveman bashing on rocks imagery*
Razor blades: Ideally these should be the pointy craft-type so you can affix them to a stick and use it as a fish spear. But these work fine.
50ft fishing line and weights: I forgot the test but you want something stronger than 12lb so it can double as sewing thread or repair cord. Attached is a single lead weight to bring the hook to the bottom of a slow-moving stream.
MIA-Hacksaw knife: Not shown. I made a nice little knife out of a hacksaw blade which fits perfectly in this kit. Why? Hacksaw blades are high-carbon by default so they can be flint struck. I put the blade of the back of the saw so I have a working hacksaw on the back of my knife, great for cutting through annoying cables or wires. Also, you can bushcraft much easier with old metal cans and junk with a hacksaw blade.
MIA-Snare wire: Not shown. I pack in 4-6 military snare wire loops but for the life of me I can't find these either. Must've run off with my multitool.

This is my standard minimalist survival kit. It weighs ~113g or 4oz and can be made for... o... $2

mbarnatl
11-23-2007, 04:07 PM
I did not like the necklace kit, I preferred the keychain kit. I really do not like things around my neck. I would suggest making your own necklace kit as Sarge did following Cody Lindun's idea.

Rick
11-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Mitch - My wife and I pan gold and you can get those bottles just about anywhere you can get gold mining equipment. You can get them in plastic, too. Try:

http://www.akmining.com/cart/vials.htm

I use a pelican 1010 box. It's crush proof and water proof and gives me a bit more room than the tin. Just can't cook in it. I looked a long time before a settled on it. Otter Box offers similar boxes.

I would add something to signal with. I have a starflash mirror in mine.

I also carry snare wire but I have a 55' coil of 24 guage brass wire in my kit that I can use for snares as well. doesn't take up as much room as the snares. I actually carry my snares separate because of their size.

There's a bit of a picture of mine on this thread:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?p=12677#post12677

Look for post #30 on the thread.

Nice set up. I think everyone needs something like that ... just in case.

Thanks for sharing!

Sarge47
11-23-2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.akmining.com/cart/vials.htm
I would add something to signal with. I have a starflash mirror in mine.

Rick, couldn't the inside of the lid double as a signalling mirror in a pinch?:confused: Although I'll admit that the "Star-flash" is better.

MCBushbaby
11-23-2007, 06:16 PM
@ Rick: I realize you can get little vials nearly everywhere, but is the seal teflon coated? You don't want the iodine, or iodine vapors, touching plastic.

Sarge47
11-23-2007, 06:16 PM
I think any type of survival fishing kit is cool. I put some small hooks in a 35mm film can along with some split shot. For fishing line I'd use about 10' or so of one of the seven nylon strands in my 550 Parachute cord and if I feel the need for a bobber just clamp the empty film can onto the line using the lid as a clamp. If you feel the need for a pole use either a long branch near-by, or, if you're like me and carry a long walking staff, there you go! That idea comes from Colin Fletcher by the way from his "Complete Walker" books.:cool:

Rick
11-23-2007, 06:26 PM
What a great idea, Sarge. Thanks for sharing that. By the way, I just made a walking stick for my boys. I wrapped it with thirty feet of paracord using a common whipping knot. I wrapped another twenty feet near the top using the same knot and used a prusik knot for an adjustable hand hold. Thought it might be something you'd be interested in for your walking stick.

Sarge47
11-23-2007, 06:32 PM
What a great idea, Sarge. Thanks for sharing that. By the way, I just made a walking stick for my boys. I wrapped it with thirty feet of paracord using a common whipping knot. I wrapped another twenty feet near the top using the same knot and used a prusik knot for an adjustable hand hold. Thought it might be something you'd be interested in for your walking stick.

I love it! A walking staff has many uses, maybe we should do a thread on that, huh? As far as I'm concerned there is always room for more "cordage".;)

Rick
11-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Sarge - I've read a lot about signalling. CD vs. Lid vs. Mirror and the mirror comes out on top every time. The higher the visibility the better your chances of being found. If that's all you have, you bet but I'll keep my mirror. The StarFlash comes in a 2x3 size so it's pretty small. Besides, it's pretty handy so see those places your eyeballs won't stretch far enough to see. And military survival kits have them for a reason (wink).

Mitch - I don't know. I've never had that kind of a need. I don't use iodine because I don't like the taste. You might talk to the retailer if you need some. They could quiz their supplier about the teflon seal even if they don't carry them. They'd still be handy for your aspirin or other items. Another handy item is the plastic tube the M&M Minis come in. You'll have to suffer your way through eating the M&Ms but you're tough. They are pretty rugged and keep things from getting crushed. They come in manly wolf colors like pink. I've only had one raccoon call me a wussy. I think he just wanted the M&Ms, though.

Rick
11-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Yea. That's what I thought about the sticks. I actually recessed a liquid filled button compass in the top of each one and placed one inch marks on the stick for a length of one foot. I really debated on what type of foot to put on the stick. I ordered some brass feet that had a steel bottom and decided they might not hold well on rocks. In the end I went with a rubber foot. I put 4 coats of polyethalene(sp) on the sticks to protect them. I also have a bit of surprise built in. If the boys ever have a need to use the cordage, when they unwrapp the stick there is a message beneath the cordage from me. They will never see it unless they unwrap the stick. You never know when a little inspiration might make the difference. Just a personal note from me to them.

Rick
11-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Sorry Coyotee. I got us off track a bit. Let's see if I can bring us back.

I have fly fished all my life and never liked jigs. For some reason, pan fish really like flies so I carry two dry flies in my kit. I carry 50 ft in 12 lb test and 50 ft in 63 lb test and of course my paracord. I use the heavier line for bank lines and/or trot lines and the lighter monofiliment for regular fishing.

For use by scouts, I think it's a great kit. Just replace the bobbers like Smok said.

I'm not sure why the 4" fishing pole. I'd like to hear your reasoning on it. It seems to me I could use a branch or vine (pole or bank line) just as easy. Of course, you don't want folks hacking up the woods unless they really have to.

You might also think about a small pair of nail clippers or some other cutting device. I use nail clippers when I go fly fishing. They are just the best for clipping off stray ends of monofiliment.

You might include a laminated card of fishing knots. You know, how to tie them.

Finally, an Altoid or similar tin might be a bit more rugged. See Mitch's thread at:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1067

for his survival kit.

But I do like Sarge's suggestion on the 35mm film canister above. Something a bit larger are the tubes the M&M Minis come in. They have a plastic flip top so you can't loose the lid.

That's about all I can think of. You have a great kit and I'm sure not knocking it. Just trying to offer some suggestions.

mbarnatl
11-23-2007, 08:07 PM
101 uses for a 35mm film can. It is amazing what they can be used for.

mad coyotee
11-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Everyone,

thanks for your comments. Rick, I put about 50 feet of 15 lb test line on this one in the kit. I have made others with both 8 & 15 lb or 15 and 25 lb test, just depending upon what I had on hand at the time.

My 4" pole serves the purpose of a ready built pole with line, bobber, leader, weights and hook. No one ever asked why for the 4" pole that is just the size I want to add. Keeping survival kits in mind and space being a premium, then the 4" size would be optimum. Also, depending upon what type of survival you are a part of i.e, escape and evasion braking a stick may give away too much information. But I might be stretching it. Also, it is ready made, and you don't have to prepare it.

I didn't want to put it in a metal tin because it can fit in smaller spaces of survival kits. I currently am using a one of my survival setups an chinese made 5 mag (ak) pouch that I have modified for use. It fits into one of the outside pockets so you don't have to dig through everything.

mad coyotee

Rick
11-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Understand. Your point is well taken on the 4" pole. If you stay with the plastic bag then you might think about sticking the points of the hooks into the cork bobber Mitch recommended. REAL fishermen will tell you that will dull the point of a hook but I'd rather have a dull point than a hook stuck in me because it poked through the bag and got me.

Sarge47
11-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Sarge - I've read a lot about signalling. CD vs. Lid vs. Mirror and the mirror comes out on top every time. The higher the visibility the better your chances of being found. If that's all you have, you bet but I'll keep my mirror. The StarFlash comes in a 2x3 size so it's pretty small. Besides, it's pretty handy so see those places your eyeballs won't stretch far enough to see. And military survival kits have them for a reason (wink).

I also own the 2 x3 Star Flash and agree that it's a lot better signaling device, no argument there. I also have a larger version that's about 3" x 5" as well. I just meant that "as opposed to nothing else" as I'm sure you picked up on.:cool:

Rick
11-24-2007, 11:54 AM
At the risk of being redundant, swap the nylon cordage for 550. I concur on the glasses. I like to have 'em with me, too. Glare sucks. I'd chuck the matches and throw in a BIC lighter. Way more fires than the matches will conjure up. Even when the butane is gone you still have a striker. Something to boil water in. I carry an old GI canteen cup. You also need something to carry water in (bottle, unlubricated condom, plastic bag). Just remember a gallon weighs 8 pounds so you want something you can handle. Large mouth Nalgene for me. Duct tape is a must in my book. Just too much you can do with it. Not a whole roll but wrap some around a small pencil. Brass wire (lashing, snares). I'm not much on the glow sticks, either. Handy around the house, though in a power outage. On the sling shot issue, I'm not much on active hunting unless I just have to. Snares and fish traps work too well 24/7 leaving me time to do other cool stuff like twist an ankle so I can practice my back woods medicine. :O)

Sarge47
11-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Large mouth Nalgene for me. Duct tape is a must in my book. Just too much you can do with it. Not a whole roll but wrap some around a small pencil.

I use Cody Lindun's method from his "98.6" book and wrap duct tape around my wide-mouth Nalgene bottle. I can wrap near top & bottom and fill the center area with wraps of 550 cord.:cool:

Rick
11-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Nalgene Tape (yuck, yuck, yuck) Nice Title. I have to get that book. So many quote from it and all are good ideas.

One thing I didn't post, because it isn't actually in my survival kit but I do wear a survival bracelet I made. I make them from 20 feet of paracord. You can see it has a cordlock compass on it.

nell67
11-24-2007, 03:48 PM
neat bracelet Rick.

Sarge47
11-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Nalgene Tape (yuck, yuck, yuck) Nice Title. I have to get that book. So many quote from it and all are good ideas.

One thing I didn't post, because it isn't actually in my survival kit but I do wear a survival bracelet I made. I make them from 20 feet of paracord. You can see it has a cordlock compass on it.

Survival Hike gave out a link on how to make those awhile back. I went one step further and made a belt. The book, "98.6 Degrees: the art Of Keeping Your A*s Alive." By Cody Lindun is one of the best books I've ever seen on the subject of survival.:cool:

mbarnatl
11-24-2007, 07:19 PM
@Sarge47: You got the book memorized yet? I think I have read it 4 times already.

A good book on making your own survival kits: "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" by John D. McCann. Plus the knowledge from the book Sarge mentions you can have a very good personal survival kit.

Should of read the first page....sorry

Nativedude
11-24-2007, 10:00 PM
I carry a 1# coffee "billy" can (to boil & carry water), my 4" Schrade knife on my neck, my fire starting waist pack, a needle, and wool blanket bed roll. That is my basic survival trail kit.

I do have a B.O.B. bag that is stocked and ready to go that hangs by the door. Just in case! It is filled with more essential gear that will last me about 3-4 weeks in the bush.

Sarge47
11-25-2007, 01:29 AM
@Sarge47: You got the book memorized yet? I think I have read it 4 times already.

A good book on making your own survival kits: "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" by John D. McCann. Plus the knowledge from the book Sarge mentions you can have a very good personal survival kit.

Should of read the first page....sorry

'Bout got McCann's book memorized as well. I ordered them together from Amazon, got a great price and free shipping as well.:D

mbarnatl
11-25-2007, 10:35 AM
'Bout got McCann's book memorized as well. I ordered them together from Amazon, got a great price and free shipping as well.:D

I am going to have to get another copy of McCann's book... it is wearing out. Going to have to get another copy of "Camping & Wilderness Survival (2nd edition)" by Paul Tawrell. I go through these books all the time.

I want to make an observation that I have been seeing lately. I notice people trying to make the perfect survival kit or restricting the number of items in a kit. That perfect kit will only be for you, not for everyone else. Most of the general things you need will be the same, but you have to adjust the kit for your personal needs, climate, and environment you are going to be in. The books that Sarge and I refer too, tell you the same thing. One person may carry pocket kit, while you may have someone else carry a backpack kit for the same day hike. I know I have changed my kits at least ten times in the last year. The best thing to do is to take your kit out on a day hike and try the items in the kit. When you get back, make the modifications to your kit. Keep doing this until you get the perfect kit for yourself. Do not put a limit on the number of items in the kit.

Sarge47
11-25-2007, 11:31 AM
I am going to have to get another copy of McCann's book... it is wearing out. Going to have to get another copy of "Camping & Wilderness Survival (2nd edition)" by Paul Tawrell. I go through these books all the time.

I want to make an observation that I have been seeing lately. I notice people trying to make the perfect survival kit or restricting the number of items in a kit. That perfect kit will only be for you, not for everyone else. Most of the general things you need will be the same, but you have to adjust the kit for your personal needs, climate, and environment you are going to be in. The books that Sarge and I refer too, tell you the same thing. One person may carry pocket kit, while you may have someone else carry a backpack kit for the same day hike. I know I have changed my kits at least ten times in the last year. The best thing to do is to take your kit out on a day hike and try the items in the kit. When you get back, make the modifications to your kit. Keep doing this until you get the perfect kit for yourself. Do not put a limit on the number of items in the kit.

Very well put!:cool:

Army Ranger Rick
11-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Greetings Wilderness Survival!

Allow me to introduce myself here, I am US Army “Ranger Rick” Tscherne. I am the author of the Ranger Digest Series (I-IX), the developer of the SOS Survival Kits and the owner of www.therangerdigest.com.

Second, I hope what I am about to say will not violate any forum rules here. As I am just answering some of your concerns about my SOS Survival Kits.

Third, this is what I just recently posted on my website a few days ago, see below:

WANTED - SURVIVAL FORUM "SURVIVAL KIT BASHERS" Have you read somewhere or know someone who's been bashing and talkin poop about my survival kits? If so, please let me know by sending me the link...(NOTE: To read the rest of this paragraph, you'll need to go to my website.)

And so after receiving a few emails about your forum here, I thought I would register on here to clear up a few misconceptions.

“King Dufis” (aka Beowulf65) wrote: (Quote) “ Personally, I think that Ranger Rick is dufis, having been to Ranger School (Class 12-84) most of his tips come from the Ranger Digest Handbook and common sense, the garbage he peddles is junk. But that’s just my opinion take it or leave it. (Unquote)

MY REPLY: If you did go to Ranger School and you’re not one of those make-believe and wannabes, then you should know a “Ranger is NOT suppose to lie to another Ranger.” Right?

Of course you do, so here's my question to you fellow Ranger…

What tips (that’s plural, meaning more than one) did I copy out of the US Army Ranger Handbook and use in my Ranger Digests? If you're gonna publicly bash my name here on this forum for everyone to see & read, again, tell me and everyone here what tips did I copy for the US Army Ranger handbook?

My Ranger Digests (I-IX) have been on the market since 1988, well after class 12-84. If you can’t think of any off the top of your head, would you like me to send you a complete set of my Ranger Digests? So you can review and go through all my books and then post those tips here on this forum to back up your allegations? Let me know, ok?

As for your other comment (quote) "..the garbage he peddles is junk."

My Reply: The wire saw is the same wire saw used by the British SAS and our US Special Ops guys. It purchase it from BCB International (United Kingdom) in rolls of 1,000 feet and then I cut it up myself. You can’t find a better lightweight and quality wire saw than this no where else. If you go to my website and click on the bar to the left of your screen marked “wire saws,” you will learn the difference between the good and bad wire saws.

My “Tornado” Whistle is also made in England by a company who’s been making whistles for about 100 years called the “Acme Whistle Company.” The reason why I chose this particular [Tornado] whistle is because unlike other whistles, this one works well in extreme cold weather and won’t freeze up because it doesn’t have any little balls inside of it that will freeze up due to your mouth moisture/saliva. And because it glows-in-the-dark , you’ll be able to see where you placed your survival kit at night too.

The magnesium & flint fire starter that comes with my kits are just like the magnesium fire bar except smaller, lighter and compact. It's better to carry a duel fire starter (mag & flint) than just a flint fire starter, don’t ya think? Well of course the mag bar is nice and big, but it’s bulky and not convenient to attach or pack & carry in a pocket survival kit.

As for the signal mirrors that come with my survival kits, though small, 1 x 2 inches, they’re still a hellove lot better than one of those “itty-bitty” mirrors you get with those other cheap survival kits. And it reflects a hellova lot more sunlight than some buffed & shined up tin can lid that some of those survival kits come in.

My compass is NOT liquied filled NOR is it made out of some cheap @ss plastic. They’re made of aluminum and rubber, and the rubber [band] acts as a shock absorber so if you drop it or bang it, it’ll still work.

The folding knives that come with my kits come with serrated blades, which means the blade won’t dull so easy and will keep on cutting longer than regular ol’straight blades that will need resharpening.

So sheriff, would you mind pointing out to me and everyone here which of these items I sell is "garbage and junk" and why?

Did you ever buy and or test any of my survival kits? If you did and you’re not happy with it. Send it back to me within 7 days of this posting and I’ll reimburse you twice the amount you paid for it. Provided you also tell me where you purchased it so I can confirm your purchase. How’s that? As Howie Mandell would say “Deal or No Deal?”

So Mr. King Dufis - Beowulf65, the next time you’re thinking of bad mouthing someone you don’t know I suggest you don’t do it on an open forum for everyone on the internet to read. Unless you’re willing to pay the consequence in having your own reputation challenged and tarnished. Opinions are like @ _ _ holes, everyone has one, but sometimes the hole is at the other end instead of where it should be on a body.

As for some of the other comments I read here from some other members...

I sell two types of survival kits, (a) fully assemble & ready-to-wear and (b) assemble-it-yourself. When I assemble the wire saws, I always pull & jerk hard on both ends to make sure they are tightly secure. And then I throughly inspect and double check all the items before mailing them off to my customers.

Someone wrote: "...if he had been in a real survival situation he would have been screwed?" Oh com’on now, just because one of those wire saw ends popped off it doesn’t mean you can’t use the saw. All you have to do is just grab a stick and wrap the end of the wire saw around it, tie it in a knot and you can still use it to cut wood. If you had an hand axe and the handle broke would you say “oh poop, now I’m screwed.” I wouldn’t, I would try to find a piece of wood to replace the handle. Give me a break fellas, use a little bit of ingenuity.

As for another comment "…so much for your drinking tube.”

Here, read this, this is what it says on my website for those of you who think it’s not a good idea to cut and discard this tube;

Now I've heard some survival gurus and Johnny Rambo Wannabes say "..cutting and discarding the tubing is waste, you should be able to remove it without cutting it so you can use it to suck water from small puddles." As I stated, the tubing is only there to protect you from being scratched and cut up while wearing the saw around your neck. And ain't smart to drink water from any puddle unless it's been filtered and purified first. And so if you don't have any means of filtering and purifying puddle water, what good is it to save and use this tubing?See my point? Yea, these are the same know-it-alls who think you can use a pocket survival tin/container to boil water for consumption. It can't be done, it's nothing but a bunch of baloney. Try it if you don't believe me.

Sarge47 wrote: (Quote) "I made my own necklace out of braided 550 Parachute cord & hung my own stuff from it. To make it "Break-away" I use a little bit of snare wire to hold it all together.

MY REPLY: Hey Sarge, go to my website, click on my SOS Necklace banner or page and then check out the picture of me wearing my "old" survival necklace around my neck. I just posted this photo there not long ago, have a good laugh.

Well there you go fellas, I hope what I said only offended one person here. I’m usually quite busy and don’t have time to participate in forums. But after receiving some emails about one particular member here, I’d thought I’d drop by to say hello to everyone.

Oh I’m sure someone will probably want to have the last word in, no problem, I said what I wanted to say and will leave it at this and let you all decide if what I wrote was a fair and balance reply.

You may want to take a look at the upcoming "Field & Stream" Magazine. Because six months ago the survival editor, Keith McCafferty contacted me to ask if I would send him some samples of my survival kits to test out. And the results of his tests, along with some other pocket survival kits will be in the December 2007 edition. No, I have not yet seen nor read the article yet and he never sent me a copy of his article neither. So I, too, will be curious to see what he wrote as well.

And so I'll end it here by saying “Buona Notta,” which means good night here in Italy.

Yours Truly,

Army Ranger Rick Tscherne
US Army, Ret. 1972-93

mbarnatl
11-30-2007, 08:45 PM
@Army Ranger Rick
I have used everything in the kit several times and have been pleased with the kit. I just don't like things around my neck. I keep the keychain kit on me all the time. By the way... thanks for mentioning the IMPS-Net ideas in Digest 9. That IMPS-Net is awesome!

Rick
11-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Well, you clearly won't care but you did offend me and I haven't commented on you at all. I think it wholly inappropriate for you, as a retailer, to publicly bash other people for their opinion. If they don't like your product, so, the hell what? Who cares? I sell retail survival gear and I'll bet there are folks that have gone to my site and said no thanks. To each his own. But to take the time to log onto a forum and begin bashing it's members is just third rate in my book. You can sure as hell bet I'll be bashing you off the board and telling everyone I know not to buy your products. It would have been a lot different if you came on board and just stated the facts but you didn't. So as far as I'm concerned you can go slither under that rock you crawled out from under. As I see it the only "Dufus" here is you, bro'.

And who gives a damn about your name dropping?

I got your back Beo. We can take this chump!

Geeese, what nerve.

Ole WV Coot
11-30-2007, 09:27 PM
That is all a bunch of garbage. I probably have enough extra stuff around to make several of those "survival ??" kits and so do most folks. I may be a little long in the tooth but I know what works for me. I sometimes wonder how I ever made it without camo, fancy skinning knife, map and all those goodies. Maybe it didn't matter to the animals I shot or trapped. I carried a Case stockman and could skin or dress out anything I needed, and I guess growing up in an Eastern KY hollow maybe gave me a jump on city kids. Ranger Rick?? Sounds like a kiddie cartoon.

nell67
11-30-2007, 09:31 PM
What nerve is right! Someone asked for OPINIONS on this forum and Beowulf gave his as did a couple others,and well ,in my opinion,you just confirmed his.
How pathetic!

Sarge47
11-30-2007, 09:34 PM
It's "the battle of the Ricks!":D Hey Double "R", don't run off. And don't get mad at Beu, here in America he protects his local citizenry. I like the fact that you had the guts to show up and speak your mind. I don't know you but I hear good things about your manuals. The "survival" necklace is probably a great idea, but don't bash the Wolves who growl at you. If your product is as good as you say it'll stand on it's own, right? As for Kevin McCafferty I've read his stuff and was not all that impressed. Give me guys like some of the talent we've got here any 'ole day. My brother-in-law was a Ranger, my oldest son a Marine during the 1st Gulf war, my middle brother was a supply Sargent for the Army Corps of Engineers, my kid brother served as a member of the "ready" team of the US Army and was in Panama when the Shah of Iran fled his country, & I couldn't even get into the "friggen" Boy Scouts, OK? If I had the bread I buy your books based on the positive reviews. Seen your necklace and can't afford it right now, but if you send me one to test I'll give it a run like you wouldn't believe!:D However, you probably have a lot more important things going on over in Italy, but I, for one, would like to see you become a more permanate fixture around here. We have a lot of neophytes just achin' to learn about Survival and you have a lot of knowledge to share. How about it? Or do you just get mad and "hit & run"?:rolleyes:

Proud American
11-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Ranger Rick i dont know any thing about wilderness survival products, ive seen your product though and thought it was good, but your mistake was posting. Registering an posting to try and cover your butt was in all sense of the word .......pathetic. If your products as good as you say it is then by no means should Beo's statement should have offended you. Your product quality should speak for itself.Also Beo, he's right none of his stuff as far as i can tell is copied from the Army Ranger Handbook, check it out yourself, heres the web page for the whole book.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/100893/ebook-US-Army-Ranger-Handbook

SO my final verdict, Rick, Beo dosent need your back he can perfectly take on 1000 of those Ranger Ricks. Save your efforts for bigger fish k.

Beo
11-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah I went to Ranger School but if you don't believe me I don't give two sh*ts, bet I run your old azz in the ground out in the forests or mountains. But none of that maters anyway, now onto your items.
The wire saw is trash, not in use today in Iraq or elsewhere by the U.S. Army Rangers, or SF, I know this cause even though I'm out I have plenty of friends still in (if you are a ranger then you may too, or maybe your old school and most of you have gotten out) but... what I was saying was my opinion only my opinion and not that of others here or elsewhere. Maybe they were a little strong but then then I tend to heavy handed, so what get over it jackazz, maybe I don't like the whistle as survival gear... sounds stupid to me never used one in the Army or now, the magnesium & flint fire starter I like, the signal mirrors that come with my survival kits- I don't like ain't got no one to look good for in a survival situation and if I got the fire starter I can lite a signal fire forget the mirror you'll see smoke before the mirror, the compass is good no better than any other compass just because you put rubber on yours, "The folding knives that come with my kits come with serrated blades, which means the blade won’t dull so easy and will keep on cutting longer than regular ol’straight blades that will need resharpening." Not true, serrated does not mean it won't dull dufis that is for cutting and won't last any longer than my straight edged knife.
"I sell two types of survival kits, (a) fully assemble & ready-to-wear and (b) assemble-it-yourself. When I assemble the wire saws, I always pull & jerk hard on both ends to make sure they are tightly secure. And then I throughly inspect and double check all the items before mailing them off to my customers."
Ready to wear, great fashion statement bs in the wilderness.
"Someone wrote: "...if he had been in a real survival situation he would have been screwed?" Oh com’on now, just because one of those wire saw ends popped off it doesn’t mean you can’t use the saw. All you have to do is just grab a stick and wrap the end of the wire saw around it, tie it in a knot and you can still use it to cut wood. If you had an hand axe and the handle broke would you say “oh poop, now I’m screwed.” I wouldn’t, I would try to find a piece of wood to replace the handle. Give me a break fellas, use a little bit of ingenuity."
If your selling this and it breaks what is that telling you.
The drinking tube is good in my opinion, if you want one in your pack. I don't but then again this is just my opinion but you must know my opinion matters or you would not have gotten so upset about me trashing your junk survival gear. Anyway Ranger Rick, bro don't get so upset if don't like your gear, its just one guys opinion. I'm sure when you were in some guys didn't like the stuff you taught, made them do, orders you gave, but so what. Hope the gear works great in the upcoming mag and you sell a bundle of survival gear, even hope ypou drop us a line or two here and give us some survival tips. But in the end it boils down to I don't like some (notice I said some) of the gear you sell, just my opinion like it or not, don't care either way and if my rant offended you well I'm... nah, tuff sh*t don't care.
See ya and Lead the Way!
Beo,

Rick
11-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Okay, I've taken a long breath and kicked some chat around. The first rule of war is know your enemy. RR you should have ASKED why folks felt the way the did. You had a good opportunity and the potential to improve your product by listening to your customers and you did not do that. PERHAPS, someone would have explained a weakness you had not considered or had not, to date, uncovered. PERHAPS, they would have offered some avenue to improve your product. PERHAPS they would have just vented. Either way, you stood to gain a lot of respect from a wide and varied membership. But you chose name calling instead. So did I and I apologize for that. I'm a better man than that.

I still fervently believe, however, what you did was wrong and genuinely counter productive to your goal.

Edit: Proud American, for a 15 year old you have wisdom beyond your years.
"If your products as good as you say it is then by no means should Beo's statement should have offended you. Your product quality should speak for itself." No one could have said that more eloquently. That is true for any product made regardless of who makes it.

Sarge47
11-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Just got back from RR's web-site and had been entertaining the thought of blocking his URL when I noticed at the bottom of the page a link to this site. Also I found the pic he was referring me to and he's right, it's a hoot. Ok, his ears are probably ringin' like the "bells of St. Mary's" now!:rolleyes:

Beo
11-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Don't get mad at Ranger Rick, actually he stuck up for his product and I for one like that he came on here and did it, while I don't own any of his items a couple of my friends do and some like them and some just incorporate them into their gear. Now since he stood up for his stuff I'll order one and see first hand what I think. I've used certain things of his and some not. But don't let what I say sway you on the products he sells, if it matters then get it and test firsthand. BUT I do so love all the back up. And yeah I apoligize for the names and mean comments I said when I don't know the man, he's probably a nice guy and is at least doing his thing to help spread survival information and awareness. Sorry Ranger Rick.
Beo,
Oh yeah I got a Ranger Handbook, several actually but thanks.

spiritman
12-01-2007, 05:14 AM
I can't say I thought that was professional but I can't blame him for coming on an venting. I even thought it was kinda funny. It may actually make a difference to his business if enough ppl read what is said on this forum if this site really is that popular world wide (not just in Indiana since so many of you guys are from there!) that link at the bottom is probably a big factor too. . . Anyways I'll stick with maintaining my own kit cuz I'm crazy like that.

Army Ranger Rick
12-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Hahaha, thanks for those follow up comments, I had a good laugh, enjoyed reading them.

Sorry, thanks for the invitation to hang around here, but I'm not one of those who hang out in forums 24-7-12. Unlike some of you here, I got a life and better things to do with my time than to hid behind a screen throwing rocks at others. And think you kicked someone's butt just because they posted a few comments on a forum and didn't return. So wrong and so immature.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind visiting forums from time to time, especially in the winter time while I'm waiting for it to snow here in Italy so I can hit the slopes up in the Alps.

I said what I wanted to say on this forum and made my point. And based on all the emails I received this morning from quite a few of your members, visitors and viewers, I am very pleased with the outcome. And I am NOT talking about sales, screw that! I am talking about the positive emails I received in support of what I stated here.

So keep thinking just because someone posted something here once or twice and a few of you puppies got pissed off, barked & howled at the moon, don't think you chased him or her away.

Why?

Because this is an open forum, which means it's not only viewed by registered members, but the entire cyberspace internet community. So the few negative & hostile comments some of you made towards me, you just showed everyone on the internet what type of individuals you really are. So enjoy your new fame. As for me, I think my military record, reputation and accomplishments speak for itself as to what type of individual I am.

Again, I said what I wanted to say here and based on all the emails I received so far this morning, I am very pleased and happy.

Hey, no need to apologize to me, I enjoyed the comments some of you made here, really. Thanks for allowing me to express my opinions, comments and defend my product, I just might be back again later.

If not, to the few [and not all] of you puppies who think I just cut & run and can't take the heat...

Now, now, now. Come on, I did twenty-one years in the United States Army as a high-speed Airborne grunt & Ranger. Do really believe someone like me, though a bit old out of shape, would be afraid of some of your sorry @sses?

Maybe in "YOUR DREAMS!"

And to all of you who read my comments here and sent me private emails, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Take care all!

Yours truly, again

US Army, Ret. (1972-93)

"Been there, done that and served our country - HAVE YOU?"

Proud American
12-01-2007, 10:12 AM
US Army, Ret. (1972-93)

Good sayin Ranger Rick sadly many ppeople dont reccognise how great there country is(especialy Americans). Also, Rangerr Rick 1993 is year of Black Hawk Down know anyone involved or somthn new the book didt uncover.

BTW it specificaly says no advertising your product on this site but i guess defendin dosent break the rules.

Sarge47
12-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Sorry, thanks for the invitation to hang around here, but I'm not one of those who hang out in forums 24-7-12. Unlike some of you here, I got a life and better things to do with my time than to hid behind a screen throwing rocks at others. And think you kicked someone's butt just because they posted a few comments on a forum and didn't return. So wrong and so immature.

SARGE: Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.:rolleyes: BTW, I think it would be interesting to see what would have happened if you were face-to-face with some of these guys instead of hiding behind your computer screen and throwing rocks back all the way from Italy. As a Ranger you know durn good and well it cuts both ways. I understand your schedule is hectic my thought was that once in awhile or so you could post something here that might help the young ones. In case you haven't noticed we have one teen who's gonna try for the Rangers. If you could get past the few "bad" comments you might notice that there's a lot more on this site about survival than worrying about a former Ranger. BTW, enjoyed you're web-site.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind visiting forums from time to time, especially in the winter time while I'm waiting for it to snow here in Italy so I can hit the slopes up in the Alps.

I said what I wanted to say on this forum and made my point. And based on all the emails I received this morning from quite a few of your members, visitors and viewers, I am very pleased with the outcome. And I am NOT talking about sales, screw that! I am talking about the positive emails I received in support of what I stated here.

SARGE: Did you happen to notice that the negative posts you received here were later amended by the same individuals who actually apologized? And if you're not talking about sales why did you come on so strong the way you did?

So keep thinking just because someone posted something here once or twice and a few of you puppies got pissed off, barked & howled at the moon, don't think you chased him or her away.

Never thought that, "RR", I actually felt honored that you came here, no crap!

So enjoy your new fame. As for me, I think my military record, reputation and accomplishments speak for itself as to what type of individual I am.

SARGE: Not to mention these two posts.

Hey, no need to apologize to me,

SARGE: They didn't do it out of need, they showed the kind of people they really are. Mere humans who reacted out of anger, realized it was wrong, and tried to right it. I'm honored to be on the same forum with them.

I enjoyed the comments some of you made here, really. Thanks for allowing me to express my opinions, comments and defend my product, I just might be back again later.

SARGE: I, for one, really hope so. We could use someone with your talents, experience and understanding of survival and all that it entails.

If not, to the few [and not all] of you puppies who think I just cut & run and can't take the heat...

SARGE: Actualy, I said "hit & run", which means something else. C'mon Ranger, you know "hit & run" is a tactic and not an act of cowardice.

Now, now, now. Come on, I did twenty-one years in the United States Army as a high-speed Airborne grunt & Ranger. Do really believe someone like me, though a bit old out of shape, would be afraid of some of your sorry @sses?

Maybe in "YOUR DREAMS!"

SARGE: OOOHH-RAHH!

And to all of you who read my comments here and sent me private emails, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Take care all!

Yours truly, again

US Army, Ret. (1972-93)

SARGE: I tried, the wusses didn't want me; afraid of a guy with bad hearing. What's up with that crap? You never hear the one that gets you anyway, right?:D
p.s.: Does this mean I don't get a free necklace?

Stealth
12-01-2007, 10:40 AM
hey, ranger dick, next time you think of selling stuff, you may not want to alienate a good portion of your potential clientele. thats not good for a business that obviously could use a little help.

Sarge47
12-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Looks like 'ole Ranger Rick is not gonna stick around. Too bad, I think he'd be a valuable asset once everybody got to know each other better. Anyway I visited his web-site and found some interesting things on it that I'd like to discuss with those of you here who are inclined to do that. I was going e-mail "RR" my comments, opinions, & questions 1st but his e-mail isn't listed.

Right off the bat I want to make sure that everybody understands that I'm not "dissing" the Ranger", but evaluating his "Survival" gear/manuals as to the validity of them saving lives. Here goes.

1.) Ranger Ricks qualifications speak for themselves, he's one dude I would want to be with in a bad situation. I'm sure that we'd get home alive, and that's the "bottom line" here, right?

2.) In evaluating his "Survival Neclace" I found that he gets about $20 for the "unassembled" one, so that was what I looked at since the extra 2 bucks pays for the labor of putting it together and has nothing to do with the quality of the items.

3.) In order to sell that piece of gear for $20 he still has to make a profit, so that means that the actual costs of the items are even less, which is not to say that they will fall apart, but you get what you pay for. Both Cody Lundin & John D. McCann, just to name a couple off the top of my head, recommend putting your own kit together to get the best quality possible. No offense to Mr. Rick, but the Buck folder in my kit costs twice as much as the whole necklace.

4.) He also includes tips which are really "teasers" to get you interested in his Manuals. It worked because whenever I can I'm gonna order a set. Two "tips" stick out in my head, and that's what I want to share here. For the last few years I've thought Like "RR", that a "Survival Vest" is a great idea. John D. McCann uses Cabella's "Safari Vest" which cost $50. R. Rick suggests a fishing vest which I happen to own, so I'm gonna see what I can come up with. Also, under water filters, he shows how to make one with a 35mm film can. If anybody can, I'd like you to check some of this stuff out, then give your opinions. http://www.therangerdigest.com/ Thank you.:cool:

WildGoth
12-01-2007, 01:23 PM
im not dissing or anything but really someone should be a little more grateful that some of us had some nice things to say and not care that his kit was bit at by the wolfs and i argee he should take some of the advice and apply it to make his kit better no such thing as a perfect survival kit always room to improve:)

mbarnatl
12-01-2007, 05:26 PM
@Sarge: I have some of RR stuff and used some things from his site. Awhile back I was going to review on some items that I bought from his and others, but thought not to because it may be against forum rules. The review is my opinion, not the forums. So, how do I go about doing this?

Sarge47
12-01-2007, 05:38 PM
@Sarge: I have some of RR stuff and used some things from his site. Awhile back I was going to review on some items that I bought from his and others, but thought not to because it may be against forum rules. The review is my opinion, not the forums. So, how do I go about doing this?

It's not against the forum rules to state you're opinion of survival products that others may buy that might have a bearing on their well-being. If you tried selling the gear, or provided your own web-site offering gear for sale, well now you might be in trouble. Upon visiting Mr.Rick's site I noticed that, all the way down to the bottom of his page he links this forum, so he's more of an ally any way. It's only fair to avoid any personal remarks regarding the Ranger, and try go keep your opinions objective as well as positive, if you can. if you find something that's negative, say why. Remember, you're simply stating your own opinion, and the rest of us will take that under advisement.:cool:

Sarge47
12-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm not dissing or anything but really someone should be a little more grateful that some of us had some nice things to say and not care that his (Ranger Rick's) kit was bit at by the wolves and I agree he should take some of the advice and apply it to make his kit better no such thing as a perfect survival kit; always room to improve:)

Very well put, WG.:cool:

Ole WV Coot
12-01-2007, 05:50 PM
I checked out the RR site and I could probably pat myself on the back until people might buy these so called "survival kits". Guess I have enough extra stuff in the basement to make up several. The necklace, except for a knife & firestarter is dumb. Old RR says band saw blades ain't any good, but I know most everyone can make a better saw out of three sticks and a string to tighten it up like our old timers did. Guess how many feet of band saw you can coil and easily fit into say an empty snuff can with space in the middle for whatever? I don't think that little rough metal piece of garbage would last. If I have pants on I have a SAK and a SOG, always. The survival books have all the info you need on the internet or your local library. I am in the Applachians and plan accordingly. These so called experts may be able to make cute little necklaces & other goodies but like Hank Jrs. song says A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE. People. if we use what's available can also, and I really must be behind the times the only RR I could think of was Roy Rogers!

Sarge47
12-01-2007, 05:57 PM
I was going to mention Mr. McCafferty awhile back, but never got around to doing so. R/Rick mentions him and that Field & Stream will be putting out a review of his necklace in the Dec. '07 issue & I look forward to reading it. In my opinion Mr. M. is probably a very good outdoors-man. He's obviously a hunter who travels the woods all over for big-game and any survival input he can give should be welcomed by any of those in the Hunting Arena. In the March 2005 issue K. McCafferty was actually required to go out into the field and put his skills to the test by going solo into the Rocky Mtns. with his hunting rifle, ammo, and a small day-pack with his 'Survival" gear in it. It was pretty interesting as he had a lot more equipment than the "Bare Wilderness" guys and was even going into a bit of a warmer climate, albeit in winter. He made it back out OK, but it was only for 2 nights, and he had a rough time as well. I was surprised at several things, such as the fact that in his list of survival stuff he listed 4 trash bags, yet didn't seem to have any himself on this particular adventure. He wears a homemade necklace with a neck-knife and some other items, including the magnesium block/flint striker that Ranger Rick seems to "put-down" on his web-site. An interesting side-note, this Mag-block is included in the USAF's Pilot Survival kit. I'm going to re-read the article and write more on it later.:cool:

Sarge47
12-01-2007, 06:03 PM
I checked out the RR site and I could probably pat myself on the back until people might buy these so called "survival kits". Guess I have enough extra stuff in the basement to make up several. The necklace, except for a knife & firestarter is dumb. Old RR says band saw blades ain't any good, but I know most everyone can make a better saw out of three sticks and a string to tighten it up like our old timers did. Guess how many feet of band saw you can coil and easily fit into say an empty snuff can with space in the middle for whatever? I don't think that little rough metal piece of garbage would last. If I have pants on I have a SAK and a SOG, always. The survival books have all the info you need on the internet or your local library. I am in the Applachians and plan accordingly. These so called experts may be able to make cute little necklaces & other goodies but like Hank Jrs. song says A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE. People. if we use what's available can also, and I really must be behind the times the only RR I could think of was Roy Rogers!

Yippie Yi Yo Ki Yay!:rolleyes:

mbarnatl
12-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Here is a review of R/Rick's survival necklace that I read awhile back from www.equipped.org (http://www.equipped.org/rangerrick_necklace.htm).
This site rates alot of survival equipment and gives fair reviews. The review of the necklace is a little old but gives you a general overview. The dog tag/blade, mirror and fire starter have been replaced with newer items.

The reason I bought R/Rick kit was that some of the items in his kit was in McCann's book. It was cheaper to order his kit than to order from several sites.

Rick
12-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Mbarnatl - I've read Doug's work for a long time and have a lot of respect for him. He does know his stuff and you can trust his reviews to be honest and generally accurate. He missed one point on the review of the necklace that he does discuss elsewhere on his site; "Care should be taken when packing a compass in a kit that it is as far away from any materials, carbon steels and iron, that could attract the compass needle, potentially affecting its accuracy." I would think that could be a concern with the necklace.

http://www.equipped.com/devices26.htm

Scan down to TIPS:

Sarge47
12-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Do either of you, or anyone else here have an opinion regarding his manuals? So far I'm sold on Dr. Ron Hood's instructions on building your own small & large kits yourself. As Rick has posted elsewhere, it's always cooler to build your own, & I totally agree with that.;)

Rick
12-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Sarge, I've never read his manuals so I can't comment.

Sarge47
12-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Sarge, I've never read his manuals so I can't comment.

Thanks, "M", BTW, J. Wayne Fears sells a small "Survival" handbook at Wal-Mart for @ 5 bucks if anyone's interested. Look back by the hunting supplies.:cool:

mbarnatl
12-01-2007, 07:43 PM
@Sarge: I have Digest 9 that has "how to make a survial vest", "Mini-Mag Lite survival kit", and "Anti-Frostbite Anti-Hypothermia Kit" in it's volume. Lots of tips in it. The contents of the vest is close to what McCann has in his book. As for Dr. Ron Hood's I had never read any of his work. Also, someone mention the stuff found in the Digest was from the Ranger Handbook... I don't know if it is because I never read it. Overall I found the Digest very interesting and have bought some items mention in it. I have really enjoyed the digest and will probably buy other Digest volumes.

Update: "As for Dr. Ron Hood's I had never read any of his work. "

I did a search and found it. The name did not stick... I have his DVD. If you like his stuff, then you will find R/Rick's stuff interesting.

mbarnatl
12-01-2007, 07:57 PM
@Rick: I personally do not like things around my neck. I made mine into the key chain kit. I will write my personal review of R/Rick's survival necklace/para cord/key chain kits in my blog and post the link here when I get it done.
The compass issue I have read about before. When I go on hikes, I have actually several compasses on me and/or my equipment. I learned that having a back-up compass or two is a good thing. Also, never rely on a GPS.

Sarge47
12-01-2007, 08:34 PM
@Rick: I personally do not like things around my neck. I made mine into the key chain kit. I will write my personal review of R/Rick's survival necklace/para cord/key chain kits in my blog and post the link here when I get it done.
The compass issue I have read about before. When I go on hikes, I have actually several compasses on me and/or my equipment. I learned that having a back-up compass or two is a good thing. Also, never rely on a GPS.

...about things hanging around your neck. Especially if they have the potential for decpapitation.:eek: Hope dlble "R" checked with his attorney on the "liability" potential there. The Key chain isn't a bad idea but here's my point. I want to use "quality gear" in my "survival" kit. The stronger, the better. My top compass is a "Silva Ranger", my folding knife is a "Buck Lumina LED" with a Victoinox swiss army knife that includes a small say. I've used the saw with great results. My top signal mirror is 3" x 5" similar to the one used by the USAF. Check out this bandana, then scroll down to find a similar signal mirror and you'll see what I'm talking about.

http://www.imsplus.com/ims24a.html

I know my gear and what it can and cannot do. I know it's stress points and condition. Although I think a lot of "Ranger Rick's" stuff would be great projects for the Boy Scouts. I have two of the older Fieldbooks and both have sections on "Survival" and making your own kits.:cool:

mbarnatl
12-01-2007, 09:05 PM
My daughters have that bandanna in their survival kits. I like the signal mirror. Remember in McCann's book and I think several others... buy the best quality equipment you can afford, Your life may count on it.. One point I like to bring up is that if you buy a kit or make your own... test every single item in it and practice till it become second nature using it.

mbarnatl
12-01-2007, 09:27 PM
I know my gear and what it can and cannot do. I know it's stress points and condition. Although I think a lot of "Ranger Rick's" stuff would be great projects for the Boy Scouts. I have two of the older Fieldbooks and both have sections on "Survival" and making your own kits.

I have bought three kits that was reviewed on http://www.equipped.org/prsnlkit.htm. Just curious to see how they worked, packaged and to see how accurate the reviews was written. That was before I got McCann's and Lundin's books. I personally would never buy another kit... I like making my own.

Check out the Belt Pro Survival Kit on the link... interesting kit idea.