PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of this knife ?

Justin Case
06-28-2010, 11:24 AM
My elderly ex Police Chief neighbor ordered me this knife as a gift for helping do the things around his place he is unable to do, (he has a walker) anyway, This knife was HIS choice, I think it looks like a nice knife, The sheathing system is cool, you can wear it on your belt, in a boot or as a shoulder rig as it comes with all the necessary straps, what are your thoughts,
I should receive it next week.
Specs > http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Kershaw-4351-Military-Boot-Knife-POM-Scale-Handle-Plain-Kydex-Sheath/8854/Cat/19
Kershaw 4351 Military Boot Knife, POM Scale Handle, Plain, Kydex Sheath
http://images.outdoorpros.com/images/prod/5/Kershaw-4351-rw-8854-5463.jpg

Made in china :sneaky2:

Rick
06-28-2010, 01:02 PM
I think the knife will make a great present. He obviously values your help and I'd wear that knife proudly knowing he had purchased it as a way to say thanks.

crashdive123
06-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Looks fine, and a very nice gesture. It is clear that he values the help and companionship that you have provided. Well done JIC.

hunter63
06-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Fine knfe and fine gift, I think that this will be one you will treasure, as a tool, and the giver.
Karma Happens, congrats.........

Justin Case
06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Thank you guys, Yes, he is a good guy, has a new "back in the day" police story every day :) He calls my dog his K-9 Unit , LOL

Sarge47
06-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Justin: It's a great knife! It's a fantastic knife! Why? Because it's a gift that came from the heart! This man obviously knows your attraction to outdoor survival and has come up with an appropriate gift; be sure you give him a coin! (for reference, see the movie: "The Edge" starring Anthony Hopkins & Alec Baldwin.) :cool2:

p moore
06-28-2010, 04:30 PM
That has been a longtime favorite knives for me. Never owned one though.

I think it is a great gift to receive. Alot better than a man hug. Congrats, and wear it proudly.

Paul

rebel
06-30-2010, 03:59 AM
That's a great knife. Give a coin and honor the guy for caring about your sorry arse.

Camp10
06-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Kershaw knives are known to be good. I've never owned one from their China factory though. Lots of their stuff was made in Japan but they also have a plant in the US..I think Oregon.

None of that really matters, it is a great gift and you will make him proud when you wear it. Enjoy the gift and the great friendship you have with this old gentleman.

Oh..I think the give a coin tradition is only when someone makes you a knife. Either way, it seems to be optional...Only twice have I been given a coin for the many knives I have given away.

2dumb2kwit
06-30-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm with the other guys. If it were me, I think it would be one of my most prized possessions.:clap:

rebel
06-30-2010, 06:35 PM
That's a great knife. Give a coin and honor the guy for caring about your sorry arse.

After reading this...I hope you know I was joking about the "sorry" part!!! :blushing:

crashdive123
06-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I had never heard the expression "give a coin" for a knife, so I looked it up. Found it, and a few other superstitions.

Knife superstitions

In some places it is traditionally believed that the giving of a knife as a gift to a friend will cut or sever the relationship. To avoid such ill luck, the receiver should give a coin in return so as to "pay" for the gift. It is common to include a penny, often taped to the blade, with a knife given as a gift which the receiver is to return as "payment".

Stirring liquids or powders with a knife is often considered unlucky. One rhyme says, "Stir with a knife, stir up strife".

In some cultures giving a knife as a gift is considered a sign of respect and trust. This is especially true in Finland where various non-governmental organizations, clubs and even government agencies traditionally give a puukko (a Finnish fixed-blade hunting/outdoor knife) as a gift to trusted employers or contacts. The puukko is always presented handle first as a sign of trust and friendly intentions.

In many places in the United States it is considered bad luck to hand an open, folding blade knife to someone. This is especially true in more rural areas where carrying a pocket knife is as common as carrying a set of keys. This may stem from safety issues. It is also believed that allowing someone to close a folding blade knife that you have opened is bad luck.

Just as with swords, regional and cultural superstitions exist regarding the treatment of knives that are used in combat. One common superstition states that it is bad luck to return a combat knife from its sheath without using it to draw blood. A variant myth exists surrounding drawing a knife (e.g. a sgian dubh) without drawing the blood of a cultural enemy (e.g an Englishman). Sometimes these superstitions are actually attempts to insult the culture of the supposed believer.

Some cultures believe that a knife does not belong to an individual until it has 'bit' them, or tasted their blood. Believers in such superstitions may intentionally prick a finger on the blade of a knife rather than risk a later, accidental cut. According to this superstition, the knife will stay sharp longer and is less likely to accidentally cut its owner once it has tasted his or her blood.

In some parts of America, it is considered bad luck to sharpen a knife, or any blade, after dark.

Justin Case
06-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks Guys, I will wear it Proudly, It should arrive tomorrow, ;)
@ Rebel,, LOL, I wasn't offended ? lol, :)

@ Crash, Thanks for looking up the coin thing, I had no idea what they were talking about either :blushing:

Those are all interesting, so now, I will Give my friend a penny and be sure to cut myself and let the new knife taste my blood :eek:

hunter63
06-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Well, Crash I guess I'll have to send you a coin.........as far a cutting my self......no worries, do it all the time.
Thanks for posting that, I was looking it up, not having much luck.....as I had heard something like that, but didn't get the whole story.

I guess it's how you ask the question, on this here interweb, ....shoot..It's smarter than me...It should know what I want to know......

Rick
06-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Hunter once set his arm on fire while sharpening a knife. It took five minutes and 30 stabs to get the fire out.

hunter63
06-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Should see all the holes in the boat when the snake dropped in...darn double stacked mags.

Rick
06-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Folks on the lake thought it was some fancy jet boat the way it shot across the water. Get it? Shot across the water? I slay myself.

Justin Case
07-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Well, I just recieved the knife from Fed ex, Its a pretty nice knife and I am very happy with it, The only thing is that the handle feels a little too small for my hand, but its ok, the sheathing system is outstanding, it comes with all the straps you need to carry it many different ways, On your belt, concealed shoulder rig, on leg, SWAT style, as well as on your upper arm, I am still playing with it, so far I have managed to keep from cutting myself, but thats likely to change as its VERY sharp :blushing:, Now i am going to my neighbors to Thank Him and deliver a coin ;) (better safe than sorry :innocent:), would I recommend this knife for a survival knife ? Yes, as its light yet solid S/steel, Thank you all for the comments :)

(sorry, no pics, I do not have a camera)

justin_baker
07-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Doesent look like a good bushcrafty knife, but it looks like a great urban utility and self defense knife.

Justin Case
07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Doesent look like a good bushcrafty knife, but it looks like a great urban utility and self defense knife.

Yes, Exactly , :) But, its a Knife and it will cut stuff, ;) (perfect boot knife IMO)

AlpineZone
07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Looks like a really nice knife. Would make an excellent spear as well. Congratz JC. :cool2:

Beo
07-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Nice knife, good present.

Winnie
07-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Nice knife, good present.

Hey you! Nice to see you back, everyone thought you were AWOL!!

BENESSE
07-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Welcome back, Beo!!!!
How was Jerusalem? I'll bet you have a story to tell.

Pict
07-05-2010, 08:42 AM
That knife says fighter to me. Mac

hoosierarcher
07-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I used to have one of those Kershaw knives. I usually wore it as a boot knife. I had to sell it when I landed on some hard times but I always thought it was a pretty good knife. Good on you for helping a neighbor.