PDA

View Full Version : Another Planer Blade Knife

preachtheWORD
06-28-2010, 08:07 AM
A while back I made a knife from a planer blade and posted it. Over the weekend I made another and fitted it in a deer antler handle. I learned a lot in the process, even if it did not turn out quite like I imagined. I really like the natural curve of the antler for the handle!

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/preachtheWORD/IMG_3477.jpg?t=1277726689

I'm not a fan of the holes in the planer blade, but as has been said time and again, you use what you've got! I hope to find some other readily availabe (i.e., "free") knifemaking material and try some more.

oldtrap59
06-28-2010, 08:54 AM
PTW. I found a couple used 12" saw blades at a yard sale awhile back. Cheap. If I ever have the time I intend to try a knife project out of them. So many projects on the idea board and so little time. Is it just me or do we all have that problem? :>)
I like the way that antler looks on your latest knife. Holes or not looks like your getting the hang of this knife thing.

oldtrap

Rick
06-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I think you did a great job. Like you said, you use what you have. If it works, go for it. Again, nice job.

preachtheWORD
06-28-2010, 09:32 AM
PTW. I found a couple used 12" saw blades ...

I've got a couple old saw blades and and drawn out some knife blanks on them. My only problem is that I don't currently have access to any way to cut out the blanks without overheating the steel and ruining the temper. I want to be careful to keep the temper because I don't have a ready way to re-temper it (though I could probably find a gas torch to heat it for tempering, but this rather imprecise). Besides tedious work with a hack saw, the only way I can think of to cut out the blanks with relatively little heat is with a plasma cutter. I need to find somebody who has one.

Thanks for the compliments. I am pretty happy with it. I like the antler handle way better than the wood I used on the first one.

crashdive123
06-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Well done PTW.