PDA

View Full Version : Im Here!

Pan
12-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Im glad I found you guys and gals! I often have survival related technical questions and nobody i associate with shares my passion for self reliance. growing up I read lot of boys life and the SAS Survival Handbook. So I knew how to survive... I thought! When I was 19 (10 years ago) I decided to take three months off and go " live off the land" on the Chattahoochie River. I took me a full month of trial and error to get my wicciup almost completely water proof. I learned alot in those three months. The most important thing I learned was, I DIDNT KNOW CRAP! Reading is only an introduction, PRACTICING is learning. So, for the last 10 years I've been practicing techniques when I can. I hope I can add to the discussions here and I'm sure I can take alot from you guys.

corndog-44
12-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Pan, Welcome to the Wilderness Survival Forums.

nell67
12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Welcome to the Wolf-Pack Pan.

Sarge47
12-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Welcome Pan, BTW, when you went out on your adventure did you just go with your knife & the clothes on your back, or did you take more?:confused:

Jay
12-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Welcome Pan. This is a good place to be. Loads to learn!

pgvoutdoors
12-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Welcome Pam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pan
12-21-2007, 08:42 PM
I took a large pot, 5lb. bag of rice, knife, machete and 300ft of para cord. oh and a LARGE pack of lighters lol. I was lucky enough to catch catfish most of the time I was there(with inside of para cord and made gorges) and ate ALOT of wild mustard greens and prickly pear fruit. But i went three days a couple of times with NO meat. and the rice was gone in the 1st week. It took alot for me not just to leave. And if nobody knew I was attempting this I probably would have given up. But I talked it up alot before I went. Being alone most of the time was the hardest part, I had a couple of friends stop by about every other week to check on me. So their visits I looked forward to alot. It kept me going cause I wanted them to see I was making progress when they came ya know. I realy wish I could go again maybe just a month this time. I had alot of fun in hindsight but the lonliness was hell.( that may sound like a weak thing to say but man try it )

Beo
12-21-2007, 08:50 PM
welcomw aboard Pan,
Lonelyness can drive a man insane, alot of times when I do solo trekking and camping I talk to myself (yeah out loud) and it works for me, but I tend to by the quiet type until I get to know people and then I talk to a select few, still I'm quiet at work and the loner type anyway. Actually I tend to hate people (city people anyway) and have not much in common with them, so I'm seen as a loner. Hey at least you went out and did it, important, and you learned from it, more important. Hats off to ya.
Beo,

Pan
12-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Hey thanx bro. Yea the first week i caught a possum in camp and put him under a milk crate i found on the river. I talked to him for about two days lol. But I tell ya greasy old possum tastes like grand ma's biscuits and gravy when the rice is gone and you are still used to eating alot.

Rick
12-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Welcome home, Pan. Good stories. I'm sure we can learn from each other.

Proud American
12-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Hey Pan
Sarge was wonderin
BTW, when you went out on your adventure did you just go with your knife & the clothes on your back, or did you take more?

He askes because he dosent want anyone to get hurt and goin out in the wild and puttin yourself in a dangerous position isnt smart. But I think you brought an ok amount. Look forward to talkin more Im shure u can teach me alot.

Sarge47
12-22-2007, 06:15 PM
What speaks volumes to me is what you said you learned about "not knowing crap"! All of us have taken risks at one time or another and have, apparently, lived to tell about it. If you learn from your mistakes that's what's important, and it sounds to me like you learned from yours.;)

NorthWindTrails
12-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Pan ... I "ditto" the Welcome to the Pack. I have only wondered what the loneliness would be like, you've actually done it. Congrats! I've also wondered about the reality of having plenty of "book learning" and not enough "dirt-time" in this thing we like to call survival. Nothing beats hands on, and I for one need a lot more of it before I actually need it. Looking forward to your insights! NorthWind

benhurjun
12-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi. Greetings Pan!

Smok
12-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Good for you Pan .. Welcome ..I look forward to a good camp fire story or two ..and for the loneliness you have to get a volley ball or a dog they work great