PDA

View Full Version : walmart pack

aero86
06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
anyone seen this?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Life-Gear-Wings-of-Life-Survival-Backpack/5706764?findingMethod=rr#rr

hunter63
06-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Seems reasonable for a starter pack, made in USA, wow.

Rick
06-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Are you asking about the quality or just pointing it out?

Beans
06-24-2010, 08:51 PM
I have been giving some thought about recyling the back packs I could pick up when driving/hiking in the Southern Az desert.

I could pick up 10-25 each trip. :-)

I am not sure about recyling the water bottles or leather gloves. :-(

The ad would read

Slightly used backpacks, only used for one trip.

crashdive123
06-24-2010, 09:56 PM
It looks like it woudl be better than nothing, but I prefer to make my own - or modify something that is pre made like that.

Old GI
07-29-2010, 03:57 PM
anyone seen this?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Life-Gear-Wings-of-Life-Survival-Backpack/5706764?findingMethod=rr#rr

Just bought three. Put one in each vehicle; hangs nicely on the back of the passenger seat. Haven't used it yet, but it has basic stuff in a small pack. Just watch shelf-life of food and water.

beetlejuicex3
08-29-2010, 10:43 AM
We don't like these types of kits and I'll tell you why.

The items in them look fantastic on paper but are generally of extremely low quality.

They often come with expiring food and water rations and first aid kits that are old, dried out messes.

There is probably less than a days worth of water for one person in this pack and no way to obtain or purify more.

There is no shelter in this kit.

There is no fire in this kit.

If you think a paper thin mylar "emergency" blanket is going to keep you warm in anything under 60 degrees...

The ponchos are usually small and fragile.

The compasses in these types of kits are not to be depended upon for any actual wayfinding and the multifunction tools are extremely cheap...

The total cost of actual, quality, dependable survival items in an identical kit to that includes shetler, water, fire items and total $250 retail. You get what you pay for. This is the type of survival gear that may be better than nothing, but not by much, imho.

Greenbeetle

Winnie
08-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Greenbeetle, you're preaching to the converted here, chap.

Rick
08-29-2010, 01:12 PM
This is not emergency preparedness...

Seriously? Would you rather someone do nothing as opposed to something inexpensive? While I prefer folks to have high quality gear, I'd prefer they have something rather than nothing. I'd also prefer they build their own as opposed to a commercial kit that might not meet their specific needs. $250 for a commercial kit? P.T. Barnum was right.

Why not offer up an introduction instead of spamming the forum?

beetlejuicex3
08-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Seriously?... P.T. Barnum was right.

Why not offer up an introduction instead of spamming the forum?

In this case PT Barnum would be referring to the suckers buying $75 "survival kits".

I did not feel my post was spam, to be honest.

My name is Steve, I write a survival blog where I try to review products and own an internet site that sells survival gear. I now know I am not allowed to post links to either of them and am happy to abide by the rules. Apologies.

Green Beetle

crashdive123
08-30-2010, 06:47 AM
In this case PT Barnum would be referring to the suckers buying $75 "survival kits".

My name is Steve, I write a survival blog where I try to review products and own an internet site that sells survival gear. I now know I am not allowed to post links to either of them and am happy to abide by the rules. Apologies.

Green Beetle

Steve - go back and re-read the PM I sent you. It will explain how you can post a link to your site. If you do it the way I explained, you will be good to go - and get your site out there more than you would otherwise.

crashdive123
08-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Steve - Here's some additional information that might help 'splain things.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6074

Sarge47
08-30-2010, 07:57 AM

Green BeetleSteve, people don't usually buy anything from folks they don't know, they buy from folks that they know, like, & TRUST! Trust is gained by allowing people to get to know you. There are tons of web-sites out there, many doing the same thing that you are; why should anybody listen to you? Especially if we know nothing about you? I personally don't buy off of anybody's site, I usually shop Amazon & e-bay; they're cheaper & have PAID $$$ to advertise on this site. When people try to use this site to advertise their wares & services without paying for the right to do so that's called SPAM! We have many members on this site that advertise their web-site in their signature. That's the rules & that's what everybody has to follow...no exceptions! Another thought, if you just came here to "Hawk your wares" forget it; that's not allowed either. Have a good day. :)

ATough
08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
im not very partial to these kits due to quality, but it is better then nothing and a good base for those who have little to spend and arent sure where to start with. i made my own in one of my maxpedetion bags i keep in my trunk. does the job for me.

Trabitha
09-28-2010, 10:12 PM
im not very partial to these kits due to quality, but it is better then nothing and a good base for those who have little to spend and arent sure where to start with. i made my own in one of my maxpedetion bags i keep in my trunk. does the job for me.

I have to agree. I guess it's something to get you started if you don't know where to start. I agree with greenbeetle though...the quality is usually very poor. I know how disappointed I was when I first figured that out. I just think the "don't buy that" type of response is coming from our desire to protect people from the disappointment we felt. ;)

But yeah...guess it's better than nothing. ;)