PDA

View Full Version : Fluid replacement guidelines

AdventureDoc
06-24-2010, 02:45 AM
Hey guys and girls-

I was doing some review of staying hydrated in hot weather climates and came across an "old favorite" in the process. I really took a lot out of this aticle and thought a few others might, too! If you cannot be bothered to read the whole thing, the charts are very easy to understand :online2long:

"Current US military fluid replacement guidelines (http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public/PubFullText/RTO/MP/RTO-MP-HFM-086/MP-HFM-086-06.pdf)"

Ken
06-24-2010, 03:01 AM
Great info! Thanks, Doc! :)

Now, do you mind if I ask you about these headaches I keep getting after being logged in here for more than 8 hours........ :innocent:

crashdive123
06-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Good stuff AD - thanks.

Rick
06-24-2010, 07:48 AM
As always, good stuff Erik! Thanks!!!

hunter63
06-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks, good stuff, like the way they break it down into categories.

Beans
06-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Good information

Things have sure changed.

USMC 1961-1965 Go the field with 2 quarts of water, You were expected to have at least one Qt left when you returned that night. You emptied it out in formation in front of the NCO's. They called it water discipline . The thoughs behind that was you wouldn't run out of water until you would get resupplied. If you were in the field for several days they would bring a water buffalo to your RON position to resupply the water needs.

I can still remember getting out of the foxhole early in the morning and hitting the water buffalo for a COLD drink of water and then refilling my canteens.

1965-1972 You drank what ever you though you needed.

1972- until ??? You drank until you were full--- waited 30-45 minutes, took a leak then drank until you were full again. You were expected to drink 1/2 to 1 quart of water an hour depend on what you were doing.

In cold weather training you lined up and everyone took a leak in the snow and it was inspected to make sure you were taking in enough water.

Dark yellow or a small area would get your butt chewed and you were required to drink a lot in front of the NCO that was inspecting your urine spots.

I still use that indicater today. Clear or light yellow colored urine I am doing ok. Dark Yellow I need to drink a lot more, Regardless of whether I feel thirsty or not.

Born2Late
06-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Thats the way I have it as well.Clear/light coloured is good,dark is bad.When you start to feel thirsty,you are already a little dehydrated.A simple method we use is to pinch the skin on the back of your hand.If it goes flat immediately you are fine.If the skin stays like that or relaxes slowly you are dehydrating.

Rick
06-25-2010, 06:29 AM
If urine is clear have no fear. If urine is yellow you're a hurtin' fellow.

crashdive123
06-25-2010, 07:21 AM
If urine is clear have no fear. If urine is yellow you're a hurtin' fellow.

Yep. And interestingly enough, I believe it was Adventure Doc that introduced us to that little saying wasn't it?

AdventureDoc
06-29-2010, 04:01 AM
I agree that urine color is generally a very good marker of hydration. I cannot take credit for the clever rhyme, though. I have always stuck with "liquor before beer...in the clear, beer before liquor...never sicker" hehe