PDA

View Full Version : pressurized gas lamps

randyt
06-22-2010, 02:09 PM
here's a photo of a couple gas lamps that 'ive thought about rebuilding. i have no idea about age or operation. it appears that the globes are missing and there isn't a pump. i wonder if there was a similar pump to a air pump for a football or such for these. any thoughts? thanks for any help

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/009-1.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/010.jpg

Rick
06-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Are there any markings on the base of the lamps?

The one on the left looks like an early AGM or American Gas Machine lamp. However, that angled fresh air tube just reeks of Coleman. They made similar lamps. I'm not that familiar with the early lamps but AGM or Coleman would be my best guess and I'd be leaning toward Coleman just because of the fresh air tube. Tilley made some as well but quite a bit different than that lamp.

The one on the right is most likely a Coleman BQ Bracket lamp. The bracket lamp had a small hand pump much like a small bicycle pump use to pressurize it. You're looking somewhere around 1915-1930. That's roughly when they were manufactured. I don't know the exact dates for that lamp.

You might shoot the pictures over to Robert at

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/

He might know exactly what they are and might have some parts. He's a "retired" Coleman employee.

Here's the Coleman Collector's forum. I'd post the picture on it as well and see what kind of answers you get. You should be able to buy parts for both. It may take some looking. But you can even by replica decals for Coleman stuff.

http://oldtownyucca.websitetoolbox.com/

Good luck and post updates!!

randyt
06-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Rick,

thank you for the information, these lamps were my fathers and have been around for as long as I can remember. I really don't need another project but I can't resist wanting to resurrect these old lamps. eventually I get something done.

Rick
06-22-2010, 04:03 PM
If you do nothing else, make certain the tanks are empty (if you can get the caps off) and protect them from further rust. That way when you do decide to work on them they won't be any worse off than they are now. Good luck!!

randyt
06-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Rick,

thanks again. the tanks appear empty. I found what I think is a pump. it was in my great granddads chest of tools, I had no idea what it was until I found a picture on one of the links you posted.

here's a photo
thanks for looking

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/032.jpg

Rick
06-22-2010, 05:04 PM
That's it! Or at least one of them. That's used to pressurize the tanks.

whitewater4x4
11-18-2011, 11:34 PM
randyt I was at a traveling coleman display once and had some lanterns that I was looking for parts for . I spoke with the fella and described a couple of the lanterns that I was looking for parts for and a couple of stoves . He gave me an address to send the lanterns to and they (coleman) would repair and/or replace the parts as needed . The price he shot me was really reasonable I thought . Had a house fire before I got around to sending them off so no longer have the address . Might be able to find it through their website

whitewater4x4
11-18-2011, 11:49 PM
I just went to their site . Didn't find the lamps but didn't look everywhere or emailed the head of the repair dept

Rick
11-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Whitewater - Take a look at the URL's in post 2. If they can't help you then you probably can't be helped. Post a pic of the lamps and stoves and let's see what you have. If it's just stoves and lanterns then the parts are pretty easy to come by.

whitewater4x4
11-22-2011, 06:24 PM
This is one of the stoves and one of the lanterns , stove 530 and I think the lantern is a 242 -the green paint peeled off the fuel tank and has no model number that I can find 70507051

Rick
11-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Most of the 242s had nickle plated tanks except the 242C. It was a brass tank with green paint. If that's a single mantle that's probably what you have. All of the 242s had the green ventilator on top.

You'll see lot's of the 530s advertised as G.I. Pocket Stoves but they aren't even military. They were manufactured by Coleman after the war to take advantage of what the guys were already used to. It's a really great little stove. I have one as well. The military stove was the 520 made by Coleman. There are subtle differences between them. The 520 had fold out feet, the 530 does not. That's about the best tell tale between the two. The 530 is nickle plated brass and the 520 was painted OD. They only produced the 530 for three years after the war; 1946 -1949 so that's no youngster you have but they do still work very well.

If your 530 is complete, it will have a small metal funnel and an L shaped wrench that also serves as the cup holder for the top cover or bottom cover (pots).

By the way, who's the chubby kid on the computer?

Rick
11-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Here's one on ebay that is complete. I forgot about the metal disc that sits on top as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLEMAN-530-POCKET-STOVE-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/320796109813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab0f02bf5

whitewater4x4
11-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Your guess is probably better than mine as to who that kid is . I didn't get the burner plate or the wrench or the manual. I took the stove apart and cleaned it as best as I could . I've tried to light the stove years ago and never got a good flame . It smoked bad and burned yellow. Figured the generator had gone bad .

Rick
11-22-2011, 11:29 PM
The old 520 had a pre-heat cup that was not added to the 530. It results in them taking longer to heat up but once they get going they are pretty strong. Make sure you have a good pump, add some fresh fuel then pressurized your tank 5-10 pumps. Turn your valve open 1/4 turn and light your burner. It's designed to mix air with the fuel to help vaporize it at the 1/4 turn mark. Let it burn like that for a couple of minutes to warm up. Then you should be able to open your valve and get a good flame. It's pretty ugly in the warm up phase but you should get a nice blue flame once it warms up.

Here's a dry test for you. Do as I said above but don't light the fuel. If your stove spits and sputters and hisses at the 1/4 turn mark then it's doing what it should. If you open it up and get a steady stream of fuel then the stove is working fine. If you don't get a stream of fuel then the fuel pickup tube is probably dirty and needs to be cleaned.

The yellow flame is poor vaporization and combustion probably from a cold stove. Once it warms up it should be okay. Let me know how it works.

The round ring is a simmer ring. Turn your round valve to open then adjust the pricker valve (the little valve inside and to left of round valve) to bring your flame to a simmer. That bad boy can get pretty danged hot and has scorched a finger or two in it's day so use it cautiously. The pricker valve (or gas tip cleaning lever depending on what you are reading) is used to keep the orifice clean and to control the fuel for a simmer. All it does is move the cleaner rod and tip up and down inside the fuel pick up tube and in and out of the orifice. If you have any build up on the orifice it should clean it out.