PDA

View Full Version : I had this idea few days ago:

rebel
06-22-2010, 01:36 AM
I had this idea a few days ago:

...about a pvc pack frame.

The frame could be constructed to hold water and/or gear.

Do you think it would hold up?

Camp10
06-22-2010, 06:02 AM
So..are you going to build one and let us know?:innocent: You might have to heat and bend the supports so that it conforms to your back or it might be uncomfortable.

crashdive123
06-22-2010, 06:40 AM
There's only one way to find out.

Rick
06-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Rebel - I think I've seen one built for a backpack radio but I can find it on the net. I'll keep looking.

Rick
06-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Sorry, rebel, I finally found it and it's made out of copper.

http://www.pkarc.net/Kickapoo-QRP/LC156%20Antenna%20Mount/Antenna_mount_for_the_ICOM_LC156_Backpack.pdf

gryffynklm
06-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Interesting Idea, PVC can become more brittle in cold temperatures and break more easily. Field repairs could be impossible. If you had the materials on hand and needed to build something in a pinch or leave something behind I would try it.

The PVC should not be a thin wall to avoid excessive bending and flexing. Use steam to bend for contoured pipes. The PVC should be packed with sand to avoid collapsing the pipe while bending, tape can be used to hold the sand in the pipe. I would mimic an existing frame design like the one for the alice pack. A lot of research went into the design for extended use.

On the other hand, the cost of an Alice pack and frame on Ebay is averaging $20 some are cheeper. For what you might spend in PVC pipe, fittings and adhesive you might be able to buy a pack frame.

Just a thought.

hunter63
06-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Interesting idea, PVC is pretty sturdy, attachments might be a problem?
CPVC is thicker, but might be a problem to heat and bend?

Would you need to bend it? Getting it to stay in shape even with heat might be a problem.

Too bad I don't have a service truck sitting in the drive way any more, or I could go out a whip one up.

Rick, copper frame pertty cool, guy needs the radio pertty bad, I guess.

I was gonna try to make a canoe chair/pack frame from willow, but after checking out the willows growing in the lower field, most got chewed down over the winter, so letting them grow.

Justin Case
06-22-2010, 11:50 AM
I think its a good idea, as short as the pipe sections would be I doubt strength would be a problem, but like Hunter says, The schedule 80 pipe would be best, I live in the desert where it gets over 120 degrees, My uncle here has a greenhouse and the frame is all pvc, its plenty strong, people also make chairs out of pvc pipe,

How to Build a PVC Chair
PVC is an interesting product that can be used in a variety of ways to please our artistic nature and fill a functional need in a new way. Follow these simple steps to build an unusual piece of furniture that will be the topic of many conversations. Best of all, you can tell everybody you did it yourself.

Read more: How to Build a PVC Chair | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2123759_build-pvc-chair.html#ixzz0rb6hrhwl

crashdive123
06-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Here's an Mil Surp frame with pvc added. I don't see why it can't be capped, add a manual vent and a siphon tube for drinking.