PDA

View Full Version : Campfire Rumors

corndog-44
12-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Have you heard any campfire rumors?

I don't know how many have heard, but the rumors around the campfire are that there are strange sightings and monsters within the realm of the wilderness. It may be advisable to explore a wilderness region before attempting any action within the region.

MCBushbaby
12-20-2007, 01:46 PM
there are strange sightings and monsters within the realm of the wilderness

Sounds like someone's afraid to fall over the edge of the world if they sail out too far :)

corndog-44
12-20-2007, 05:10 PM
mitch, like you, I walk through the woods without a flashlight at times, especially if the moon is shining bright. One such night when I was walking in the woods the clouds hid the moon and the woods became pitch black, I found a log to sit on. Sitting there enjoying the night air and listening to the night sounds...when with a start, I said to myself, " What's those...over there on the ground...little dim glowing lights on the ground?" Then with a loud hearty laugh that echoed throughout the woods, it hit me like a smack on the back of the head...FOX FIRE. :o

nell67
12-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I havent seen fox fire in years.

Rick
12-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Corndog, One winter, right after I finished my job as a lumberjack in the Sahara Forest, it turned colder than Billy Heck. It was so blamed cold the flames froze on my danged lantern and in the fireplace and I was stuck with no way to put out the light. Day and night they shined through that cold spell and kept me awake for nearly three months straight.

Now, during that time it just so happened that a young lad wandered into my camp shiverin' and shakin' like a dog fresh out of the water. I can't rightly tell you what the lad looked like 'cause he changed his appearance every time I changed my whiskey and I did that on a fairly regular basis.

I threw a saber tooth tiger blanket around him and got him warmed up a bit. Enough so he was able to talk through those chatterin' teeth of his.

"Wwwwwwhat are you dddddoin out here?" he asked me.

"Well, son. I'm lookin' over this here pheasant farm," I told him.

"Pfffffffeasnt farm?" he stammered. "What do you do on a pfffffeasant farm?"

"We pluck 'em," I told him.

"Pluck 'em?" he asked. "Are you a pffffeasant plucker?"

"On, no," I said.
"I'm not the pheasant plucker, I'm the pheasant plucker's mate,
And I'm only plucking pheasants 'cause the pheasant plucker's late.
I'm not the pheasant plucker, I'm the pheasant plucker's son,
And I'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant pluckers come."

But all that is just a rumor, Corndog.

nell67
12-20-2007, 07:23 PM
wh wh what did you s s ssay?

NorthWindTrails
12-20-2007, 07:23 PM
And then there are the Bigfoot pluckers ... tough little buggers, that. Never have seen one of 'em get to the last feather, though. Too bad. Always wind up as Bigfoot snax.

Rick
12-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Snax? Don't tell Trax. This story smacks of Trax snacks. Was there flax in the snacks that made Trax smack or just bad facts about Trax snacks?

NorthWindTrails
12-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Hmm ... Good question. I don't know Trax as well as some, so I'll assume Trax snax will account for the lack of facts ... or that evidence for Bigfoot is as tenuous as some assert. We'll have to think about this for awhile ... :)

nell67
12-20-2007, 07:44 PM
hhhmmmm... Trax snax eh???Does the Trax snax have chocolate?

hunter
12-20-2007, 08:15 PM
haha wats a fire fox i have herd the phesant rime in the uk its a lil diferant but it probabley will be because my grandad told me when he was drunk haha

Rick
12-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Nell - I think the Traxs snacks are homemade marshmallows. Did you find the recipe?

Hunter - It's actually foxfire. You might know it as swamp gas or wil-o-the wisp. Here's an article:

http://inamidst.com/lights/foxfire

nell67
12-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Nell - I think the Traxs snacks are homemade marshmallows. Did you find the recipe?

Hunter - It's actually foxfire. You might know it as swamp gas or wil-o-the wisp. Here's an article:

http://inamidst.com/lights/foxfire
Yes I have the recipe :D

Rick
12-20-2007, 08:34 PM
He will be delighted, I am sure.

Sarge47
12-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Hmm ... Good question. I don't know Trax as well as some, so I'll assume Trax snax will account for the lack of facts ... or that evidence for Bigfoot is as tenuous as some assert. We'll have to think about this for awhile ... :)

Just when you thought you had heard the last of the BF stories.....:

"Bigfoot Prank Almost Results in Tragedy"
A prank almost resulted in tragedy for several Wiregrass [Alabama] young persons.

Authorities say they exploited fears of area residents concerning reports of Bigfoot being spotted near the Coffee/Geneva County Line.

A teenager wore an outfit depicting the mythical Bigfoot creature. He then carried a fellow young person on each shoulder.

Alarmed residents called the sheriff's department and several others armed with shotguns headed to where the prank was taking place.

The young people, ranging in age from 18-to-23, were given a warning.

However, sheriff's officials say those involved in any copycat incidents will face reckless endangerment charges."Bigfoot Prank Almost Results in Tragedy, WTVY News4, Dothan, Alabama, December 12, 2007 http://www.wtvynews4.com/news/headlines/12443276.html

ENJOY!:rolleyes:

corndog-44
12-21-2007, 01:23 PM
It's going around that to understand the brain better, we need to think of it in terms of three layers:

1. reptilian or primitive

2. dog

3. human

Three Brains in One

The reptilian brain consists of the top of the spinal cord and the base of the brain. It consists of those parts we share in common with reptiles and fish. It is responsible for many of our automatic systems for survival, such as breathing and hunger.

Wrapped around these structures is the ancient limbic system which is very similar to the brains of dogs and other mammals. It is the seat of basic emotions such as fear, aggressiveness and contentment.

And encasing these older structures is the modern cortex, the folded gray matter sets us apart from other mammals. Although many animals such as dogs and chimps have cortexes, the human cortex has grown to a huge size. It manages all sorts of things, like hearing and seeing, reasoning, abstract thinking, and our personalities.

The prefrontal cortex is called the executive part of the brain because it considers all the input from the brain and makes decisions for goal planning and completion. Or, at least it makes decisions when we let it - when we don’t let our dog brain take over.

Who’s in charge? Especially when it comes to a true survival situation.

Beo
12-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Big Foots a fake or hoax, although the Cheyenne called him "Big Brother"... hmmm, although I don't believe in the hairy twerp, then there's the Wendigo (see my blog for descripition and thanks Rick for the grrrrrreat input) but I don't believe in that either although some Native Americans still do to this day, there are skinwalkers don't believe in them, and other countries have the Yeti and the Artic Natives have the Abomidable Snowman (still a Yeti to me)... but... in Florida there is the Wolly Booger! Now that I believe in and Charlie Daniels sings a song about it (Wooly Swamp) so its gotta be true :D

beerrunner13
12-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Big Foots a fake or hoax, although the Cheyenne called him "Big Brother"... hmmm, although I don't believe in the hairy twerp, then there's the Wendigo (see my blog for descripition and thanks Rick for the grrrrrreat input) but I don't believe in that either although some Native Americans still do to this day, there are skinwalkers don't believe in them, and other countries have the Yeti and the Artic Natives have the Abomidable Snowman (still a Yeti to me)... but... in Florida there is the Wolly Booger! Now that I believe in and Charlie Daniels sings a song about it (Wooly Swamp) so its gotta be true :D

Also known as the skunk ape becuse of the smell,haven't heard of ant sightings in many years,but who knows what's out in the Glades,although I have spent a lot of time there and never seen one.

Sarge47
12-21-2007, 07:45 PM

The "Wooly Bugger" is a very effective version of the "Wooly Worm", a wet fly used by many Fly-Fishers. Somebody must be lookin' for one big Trout!:rolleyes:

Rick
12-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I understand there are several Big Foots (Big Feet?) Anyway, that last I heard they owned condos in Miami. Too much of the wilderness gone to suit their tastes. The whole bunch of 'em got full body waxes and they're loungin' on the beach with margaritas. That's the rumor anyway.

Two Rivers
12-22-2007, 12:47 PM
DANG, I guess on my next outing I'll have to leave the fuzzy slippers at home !

Rick
12-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Jeepers, Corndog. I missed your three brains post. Right on the mark as usual.

I have to go with 3. Human. Our reasoning ability is what allows us to manufacture "tools" like shelters or fire or trail mix (Hey, I like trail mix). Oh, and beer (I think that's a survival tool). Any way, without the prefrontal cortex, which is part of the cerebrum, you loose the ability to understand long term results and focus on immediate gratification. And you better be able to think short term and long term in a survival situation.

I prefer to keep the whole package, for better or worse, in one functioning piece. But thanks for asking.

Sarge47
12-22-2007, 09:08 PM

I have to go with 3. Human. Our reasoning ability is what allows us to manufacture "tools" like shelters or fire or trail mix (Hey, I like trail mix). Oh, and beer (I think that's a survival tool). Any way, without the prefrontal cortex, which is part of the cerebrum, you loose the ability to understand long term results and focus on immediate gratification. And you better be able to think short term and long term in a survival situation.

I prefer to keep the whole package, for better or worse, in one functioning piece. But thanks for asking.

And this should bring in a long-winded post from Vol...er...I mean, Remy.:rolleyes:

Rick
12-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Well, Sarge, since you are a Super Moderator, it would be a hoot to go in and delete some of his post leaving every third word intact. It might make more sense (did I just say that? Shame on me.)

corndog-44
12-23-2007, 03:07 AM
And this should bring in a long-winded post from Vol...er...I mean, Remy.:rolleyes:

If he does post, it will be a rumor anyway. So I'll either take it or leave it. Just might ignore it :D.

corndog-44
12-23-2007, 03:11 AM

Before retirement my dog brain had a hold of me. After retirement my human brain finally kicked-in.

corndog-44
12-23-2007, 03:19 AM
Just the other day I heard that a young woman met her beau's family for the 1st time. During dinner, she had to take a leak and asks where the bathroom is. She goes in, but finds it's a bathroom w/no toilet! She looks around, can't find it. Being desperate and embarassed, she stands on sink to do it. Family hears loud crash and run to find that she's unconscious/bleeding/but okay. Sink collapsed! Don't know if that's true, but that's the rumor.

Rick
12-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Once upon a time my grandpa had an old horse he kept out in the pasture behind his house. I was just a small shaver at the time and my dad boosted me up on the saddle of that old horse. I no more than slipped my feet in the stirrups when that horse absolutely came undone. He did everything in the catalogue—he bucked and rared, snorted and hopped, did handsprings and flipflops and somersaults. And the whole blasted time I was hanging on to the saddle horn for dear life. I was afraid to let go and afraid to stay on. Finally, that old horse got his left foot caught in the stirrup and I bailed out. Went sailin' through the air like a dandelion seed on a stiff wind.

Dad helped me up off the ground and brushed me off a bit and asked if I was all right.

"Sure," I said. "He didn't harm me none."

"Why'd you jump off like that?" he asked.

"Well, to tell you the truth, I figured if he was gonna get on, it was time for me to get off!"

At least that's the rumor.