PDA

View Full Version : Knife usage & a MORA Report

Sourdough
06-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Last winter I got two knives from Rick's Mail Order Thingie. Both those Cheap Looking/Butt ugly Mora brand knives. I bought them as cheap knives to bury in a remote cache, but decided to at least use them all winter. The large knife is a kitchen knife with a 8 1/2" clip point & a bright Yellow handle, which I think they no longer offer the yellow handle, not sure. The smaller is the same one Klkak reviewed last fall, I think it is the 2000 or millennium model.

First response on first seeing them: Butt-ugly, cheap, and I need to get these puppies buried soon as they are hurting my eyes.

After more than six months use: They are still butt-ugly and they WORK. They hold a edge, they scratch but do not rust. Both have lived in the Kitchen only, I find I use the little one much more, and only use the 8 1/2" blade for things thicker than the little knife can reach through.

Conclusion: I am still a knife Snob, and knowing now what I did not know when I ordered them, I would buy two of the smaller 2000 model, and not get the big blade. Not that there is anything wrong with the big one, I just don't use it even 5% as much as the little one. I think they are a lot of tool for just a few dollars. If I was younger, I would buy a dozen of the little Mora Knives for what I pay for a "ONE" Custom Knife.

crashdive123
06-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Well, I'm not young enough to buy a dozen, but I've got about half a dozen.:innocent:

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Well, I'm not young enough to buy a dozen, but I've got about half a dozen.:innocent:

I think I am even younger and love my two!

Rick
06-17-2010, 10:04 PM
The check is in the mail.

panch0
06-18-2010, 12:01 AM
I love my Mora

Sarge47
06-18-2010, 12:50 AM
I love my Mora as well! I'm thinking of ordering my next one off of Cody's Web-Site as he could probably use the support & he's advertising "full-Tang Moras." I gotta confess, that's got me curious! :cool2:

pete lynch
06-18-2010, 04:40 AM
I've got six so far and another on order.
Can't beat the price considering the quality of these blades.

Camp10
06-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Perhaps I got the one bad knife they made but I am not a fan of Mora. I'd offer to give it to someone so they could test it against their Mora to see if it is defective but I doubt I can still find both halves.:innocent:

I suppose I should give them another try in order to be fair. I'm a knife snob too, Sourdough. I will admit it clouds my perspective on "cheap" knives and there are very few that impress me anymore but because of your review, I will order one through Rick and give it a fair try.

Sourdough
06-18-2010, 08:03 AM
I suppose I should give them another try in order to be fair. I'm a knife snob too, Sourdough. I will admit it clouds my perspective on "cheap" knives and there are very few that impress me anymore but because of your review, I will order one through Rick and give it a fair try.

I would suggest the little one that I got, it has a nice double tapered blade, a butt-ugly "Gagger'Green" handle, but the non-slip handle feels good and grips well, it is the pea'soup green that is hard to love. I think it was $27.ish last year.

Rick
06-18-2010, 09:02 AM
You guys are too funny. Not one of you talk about how ugly the girls are when the bar closes. All you're concerned about is ... um ... getting out before they lock the doors. Yeah, I'll go with that.

sjj - How big is the kit? I do have one or two in mind and I'll explain my reasoning once I know the size of the kit.

And no, we won't start carrying blow up dolls. Okay, just joking. That's not what he suggested. No, really, it isn't. While your suggestions are noteworthy, we are working on some other "stuff" at the moment.

Justin Case
06-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Come Closing time Most Girls look ok , :innocent:

Rick
06-18-2010, 09:19 AM
'Zactly.....

Rick
06-18-2010, 04:22 PM
SJJ - Since this is for a survival kit I'm going to recommend the:

Mora 840

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/840.jpg

and the Mora 911.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/911.jpg

Both are carbon blades and work well with fire steels. Both have red handles making them easier to find in snow and brush. The 840 does have more red than the 911.

The 840 is slightly smaller but not by much. It has a 3 5/8s blade with a 4 1/2 inch handle making the knife 8 3/8s overall.

The 911 has a 3 7/8s blade with a 5 inch handle making it right at 9 inches.

Both have a rubberized handle that will make it much easier to use if your hands are cold and/or wet. The 911 has a slightly better finger guard than the 840.

For price, you should be able to find the 840 in the $10-12 dollar range and the 911 in the $12-14 range.

One alternative is the 711. There isn't a lot of difference between the 911 and the 711.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/711.jpg

You should be able to find this one around $10-$12.

If it were me, I think I'd go with the 840. It's lightweight (about 3 1/2 ounces), has higher visibility than the other two and is less expensive by a few bucks. Price has to be a consideration when putting a kit together.

kyratshooter
06-18-2010, 06:04 PM
In the "Do you prep for others?" catagory, I keep a case of 12 of the 840 model squirreled away in the storage shed. The kids tend to buy "Rambo" size gear and will need real knives that do actual work when the time comes.

Rick
06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
EGADS!!! I meant the 840. I've gone back and edited the post. It must have be a Freudian slip. I think the 780 is a great all around knife but should have referenced the 840. Sorry!!

crashdive123
06-18-2010, 10:31 PM
I love the 780's. I added some "Rescue Tape" to the handle to give it a non-slip surface.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Weapons/Mora780001.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Weapons/Mora780002.jpg

hunter63
06-23-2010, 01:20 PM
I picked up a couple of Moras as well, Thanks Rick, and Kevin, (read the review), but the main reason was to replace a couple-3 Moras that are over 40 years old.

To me that says it all, took abuse on and off for that long and still are sharp (do dress from time to time, deer hair tend to dull most any knife) and useful as the day they were made.

Just a good product for the money.

crashdive123
06-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Crash,

Thank you for your recommendation on the Mora 780. I added a bright orange lanyard w/lockcord button compass to the one I have - and just ordered a couple more 780s and lockcord compasses. Kind sir, may I ask what is the purpose of those four "dingle berries" hanging from the lanyard you show on your own 780?

No real purpose. I didn't feel like continuing with the crown sinnet knot on the lanyard, but wanted to keep the two lengths of cordage in tacat so I left them hanging and tied button knots (sort of) in the ends.

Rick
06-28-2010, 07:16 AM
That and he looks way cooler with them hanging down when he hits the clubs.

Sourdough
06-28-2010, 07:21 AM
I figured they were like notches on a 6-gun, and Crash has four dingle-berrys because he has cleaned four survival fish with that knife......:winkiss:

Rick
06-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Que theme song from Fist Full of Dollars.

crashdive123
06-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I figured they were like notches on a 6-gun, and Crash has four dingle-berrys because he has cleaned four survival fish with that knife......:winkiss:

I don't clean near as many fish as I once did. Lately, it seems as though all I do is tune a fish.

hunter63
06-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I have just replaced the china made knife in my hunting fanny pack w/ the Mora 780.
Cut off part of the sheath, riveted into the existing sheath, added some para cord, so as to secure it onto the belt.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0270.jpg

Repacked, took out some stuff, and added a skeeter stick, and whistle.

Larger "Talkabout" had AM/FM, Weather function, as well as scan.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0272.jpg

Justin Case
06-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Thats a nice set up, You have a surprising amount of stuff in that pack ..

hunter63
06-28-2010, 05:24 PM
LOL, and when it gets too heavy, I start another one.
This is just the "Hunting fanny pack" as opposed to my belt bags, BOB bags truck bags, etc.
Didn't care for the china knife, but wanted the small ax, so modified it to take the Mora.

Justin Case
06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Ha ha,, you need a survival donkey to carry all that :)

hunter63
06-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Hunter,

In the small right side pocket there are two roundish black protrusions. Are you packing pruners - or are those the antenna from the radios?

That's the antenna's for the radios, they are on the zipped closed side of that pocket, so most everything is inside the pocket.
Also not pictured are the ear buds and spare batteries, in that pocket.

Pocket on the other side holds a water bottle, and believe it or not, I still have room for a couple of energy bars and a sandwich.

Pruners are a good idea, but hey, I can only carry so much, LOL
Small ax works pretty well, for a lot of stuff, (inside sheath), can't see it so well.

Batch
06-28-2010, 06:50 PM
I carry a very simular waist pack when hunting. Slightly different contents and no axe.

crashdive123
06-28-2010, 08:26 PM
H63 - Is that an Opinel knife in the second pic (bottom, left)?

hunter63
06-28-2010, 08:35 PM
H63 - Is that an Opinel knife in the second pic (bottom, left)?

Yep, good eye,.....Redundent systems......carbon (spark) blade.

hunter63
06-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Hunter,

How long a piece of cord did you use for that cool wrap on the 780?

I'm thinking about 6ft, maybe a bit more, had some pieces left over fron a couple of rifle slings.

Rick
06-28-2010, 10:08 PM
You and Doug both need to toss in a Fresnel lens. I use those darn things all the time as a second set of eyes for small stuff. Then there's the sun and fire thingy. I used to laugh at my mom because she was forever pulling out the magnifying glass to look at stuff. I've decided I should carry on a fine family tradition.

hunter63
06-28-2010, 11:41 PM
You and Doug both need to toss in a Fresnel lens. I use those darn things all the time as a second set of eyes for small stuff. Then there's the sun and fire thingy. I used to laugh at my mom because she was forever pulling out the magnifying glass to look at stuff. I've decided I should carry on a fine family tradition.

All great minds think alike, I guess.

Actually there is a wallet sized Fresnel lense inside the blue notebook, (Has pen and pencil on it) and it looks like Doug has a spare pair of glasses in his kit.

I picked up a 1/2 page size and two wallet sized lenses at Walmart in the same package, for I think about $3 bucks.

crashdive123
07-08-2010, 05:49 AM
I like the orange wrap and lanyard. Well done.

Rick
07-08-2010, 06:56 AM
That one should be hard to lose. Nice job.

sthrnstrong
08-20-2010, 03:59 AM
What are the differences between the Mora knives that you can buy from dealer vs. the one you can buy from Cody Lundin? Cody advertises a full tang knife but I can't find a full tang Mora anywhere else. Do some of the models have full tangs and they just don't advertise it or does Cody get a special model to sell with a full tang?

crashdive123
08-20-2010, 07:14 AM
The big difference is the price and having his name on it. Personally, I'd prefer three from here (http://safezonellc.com/mora.html) for about the same price. As far as the tang - I do not believe they are truly full tang, but rather a nearly full length stick tang.

Rick
08-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Sthrnstrong - As much as I respect Cody, he's a little bit off on his knives. There is no difference between his knives and those offered by other distributors with the exception that he has had one personalized. I'm sure that cost an arm and a leg and probably why it's so expensive. The personalized knife is a Mora 840 and it does NOT have a full tang. It has a rat tail tang as most of Mora's knives do. The 840 does NOT extend the length of the handle.

The wooden handled knife is an S-2. While the tang does extend through the end of the handle it's also a rat tail, not a full tang.

You should be able to find either knife for about half, or less, than those knives sell for sans the Cody name.

Sarge47
08-20-2010, 09:27 AM
1st, just let me say that I'm really glad Cody didn't go to Baileys to get an autographed knife made for him. $700+ is a bit much. :innocent:

2nd, Cody includes all S. & H. in that price, however, that's still about double what it would cost you at Safe Zone with the shipping...without Cody's name on it, of course.

The only reason I can see somebody buying one of Cody's knives is because they want one with his name on it. He's now a celebrity as well as a Survival expert/teacher and an autographed knife is to be expected, I'm sure he does this to supplement his income so he can do what he wants to do, & that is dedicate his life solely to his outdoor teaching. I don't view this as a "bad" thing; the price on the knife isn't going to "break" anybody. I may buy one of his autographed ones later on, I haven't fully decided yet.
I would like to see a "WSF" Mora, or a "Wolf-Pack" Mora; I think that they would be really cool! :)

However, if you're looking for a "top quality" Mora knife to use in the field, might I suggest one of the Mora 2000 Survival knives? You can find them on the "Safe Zone" site and read a glowing report on them from our very own Klkak. :cool2:

BTW, I hear that Les Stroud is making an autographed Harmonica! :innocent: :sneaky2:

rebel
08-20-2010, 06:42 PM
... Mora 2000 Survival knives

I wish they were carbon steel instead of stainless.

tsitenha
08-20-2010, 06:47 PM
I really enjoy using my "red wood" handled Mora, for 14$ got to spend a lot for competive quality
Amongst other sharp edge tools I carry

Sarge47
08-20-2010, 09:03 PM
I wish they were carbon steel instead of stainless.
Have you ever noticed that a scalpel is made out of stainless steel? So's a razor blade. Today I used my Mora 2000 on a big job for the 1st time. I had this big plank of Pork ribs that I wanted to cut up into single pieces. I figured I'd give the Mora 2000 a shot. WOW! Sliced right through the meat like a hot knife through butter! The ribs were easily an inch thick or better! Carbon steel is great, but so's stainless if it's good quality! :cool2:

rebel
08-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Have you ever noticed that a scalpel is made out of stainless steel? So's a razor blade. Today I used my Mora 2000 on a big job for the 1st time. I had this big plank of Pork ribs that I wanted to cut up into single pieces. I figured I'd give the Mora 2000 a shot. WOW! Sliced right through the meat like a hot knife through butter! The ribs were easily an inch thick or better! Carbon steel is great, but so's stainless if it's good quality! :cool2:

I've noticed. In my most humble opinion, I'd still like to have a carbon blade. Cody would for starting those fires.

rebel
08-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I have a couple #780 's (I think) Moras. It has the carbon blade. I'm very pleased with this knife. Before this it was only Kabar. I like the weight, size, and durability of the Mora knives.

The only Stainless knives I have are a Spyderco Jess Horn (it's my always carry knife) and a Blackie Collins dive knive. They both have a great edge. A little hard to sharpen.

To each their own...

Winter
08-21-2010, 06:10 PM
My Mora #1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/w6f7/001-5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/w6f7/002-6.jpg

I would feel equipped with this knife.

Justin Case
08-21-2010, 06:15 PM
wow,, love the sheath !!

Winter
08-21-2010, 06:25 PM
In a international knifemaking forum I decided to do a sheath trade where we all bought a Mora #1 and made sheaths and sent them randomly to the participants.

This one is from Norway and is from half tanned reindeer. It's very hard. You can't smash it.

Due to the variances in mora #1 handle sizes I had to reshape the handle a bit so that's why it isn't red.

crashdive123
08-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Awesome sheath. Got a picture of the stitching?

Rick
08-21-2010, 08:13 PM
That is truly a work of art.

rebel
08-21-2010, 08:40 PM
That's nice and a cool idea.

Winter
08-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Awesome sheath. Got a picture of the stitching?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/w6f7/005-6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/w6f7/006-5.jpg

I've done 2 backstitched sheaths and it's way more difficult than what I'm used to.

crashdive123
08-22-2010, 07:54 PM
That looks great. Hopefully some day I'll be ready to try one like that. Thanks for the pic.

Winter
08-22-2010, 07:58 PM
NP Crash. There is a second layer under the first. The guy made a thick leather blade cover and covered that with the half-tan reindeer.

I love it, it's like a dress knife for me.

Rick
08-22-2010, 08:06 PM
The knife you wear to church, huh? (chuckle)

That is some incredible craftsmanship.

panch0
08-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Yes it is awesome! I need one for my new mora for my tackle box that I ordered.

sthrnstrong
08-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I planned on picking up a few of the Mora's from Safe Zone, but when I saw Cody advertise a full tang I just had to ask. I figured Cody just might be calling rat tail tang a full tang.